[FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 4 - Juventus

karanhsingh

We manage to follow that up with a 4-1 win at Verona (after going a goal down no less), which means this is the updated league table at the end of Feb.

table14.jpg.794e6674ea9825fefdf67f6465217049.jpg

Its looking much better now as you can see, would be very disappointed if we don't win it from here.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A confirmation of the Feb & March results. febadmarch.jpg.cafd559efea11593e5367faf3897672a.jpg

We also got past Schalke in Europa, although made really hard work of it. Anderlecht should not be a problem, and beating them will likely set up a semi-final against Inter, who we definitely have a bone to pick with.

table15.jpg.f6814850f37d3cab531fcee8cf2dfca3.jpg

The Scudetto should be done now, in all honesty. Napoli have really fallen away.

Inter Milan at home first. Played them 4 times this season already and not won a single game. Can we finally get one over them?

interhome.jpg.f660b2148733db07b683677ecc12b76c.jpg

Yes, is the answer. Although we should have won by more, especially after they went down to 10 men. Hopefully it will not cost us.

finalset.jpg.92239160b8bf485c83f54bc10a855330.jpg

A tough final match-up for sure, but Liverpool are really struggling in the Premier League and somehow finished in 9th place. Which also means this is the only way for them to get back into the Champions League.

It will be a 3rd UEFA final for Bumbercatch. Can he finally win the trophy?

Well I took screenshots of the line-ups and all the goals etc. but I will just leave this here instead:

fckkk.jpg.c7ff1561d8f55d23903f4284c5f991b0.jpg

Its yet more final heart-break for Moe :(

Again the first goal was down to a mistake, this time from the keeper. And Declan Rice turned into prime Zidane in this game somehow.

I thought we would see a reaction from the team in the 2nd half but it never came.

I don't know what it is... 3 European finals, 9 goals conceded, just 1 goal scored. Will we ever win one?!

EDIT - hilariously, Liverpool sacked their manager the day after this game, which means we essentially lost to a dead man walking... way to make me feel better about the loss

Edited by karanhsingh

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Well I took screenshots of the line-ups and all the goals etc. but I will just leave this here instead:

fckkk.jpg.c7ff1561d8f55d23903f4284c5f991b0.jpg

Its yet more final heart-break for Moe :(

Again the first goal was down to a mistake, this time from the keeper. And Declan Rice turned into prime Zidane in this game somehow.

I thought we would see a reaction from the team in the 2nd half but it never came.

I don't know what it is... 3 European finals, 9 goals conceded, just 1 goal scored. Will we ever win one?!

EDIT - hilariously, Liverpool sacked their manager the day after this game, which means we essentially lost to a dead man walking... way to make me feel better about the loss

Seems to be a lot of heart break going around in the Europa! At least next year it will be UCL 

52 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Seems to be a lot of heart break going around in the Europa! At least next year it will be UCL 

14 minutes ago, warlock said:

Commiserations! It's a cruel game sometimes.

Cheers guys - next time we reach a final I won't know whether to be excited or dread it :lol:

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Cheers guys - next time we reach a final I won't know whether to be excited or dread it :lol:

Always be excited! You never know when you will get another chance.

Even though with most of the players here (the career update forum) squad building skills it happens more often than not.

5 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Always be excited! You never know when you will get another chance.

Even though with most of the players here (the career update forum) squad building skills it happens more often than not.

I am pretty sure another chance will come along soon, just don't want to start to be known as the manager who loses every UEFA final :lol: basically the opposite of Jose Mourinho till this season

Anyhow let's wrap up the season, here are the fixtures for April and May:

aprmay.jpg.b32b76815ecdf140da33866abd663544.jpg

And confirmation that we did, indeed, win the Scudetto:

seriea.jpg.5dc41d9391ebfdf81bd25eba7de7d51c.jpg

By a whole 12 points at the end. Was not quite as close run a thing as I had anticipated.

We should of course be happy to deliver Juventus's first league title since 2020 - and the first also for top players like Chiesa, Vlahovic, and Locatelli - but the achievement is tinged with the sadness of blowing it in the Europa league final.

We identified a few areas in the first team squad to be improved over the summer, and accordingly went ahead with our business.

ins4.jpg.4666c0e33837ac5d92c67ea3811859c7.jpg

Will profile the 3 incoming players who will play an important role, as Karel Mikel will stay on in Serbia for a year.

scalvini.jpg.c852e5cf5dccb4495aff7016ff68dece.jpg

Giorgio is the biggest signing of the summer - an elite defender already and fixture in the Italian team at the age of 24. He is the long term successor to Bremer at the club.

luca.jpg.7abf91baf52bb13f8a65c0272aea6836.jpg

We needed a new LB as far too often we conceded soft goals due to Lodi/Hamache not been strong enough defensively. I went all out for Ait-Nouri but his release clause was 68m and on top of that he wanted 300k/week. So eventually we have settled for Italian and ex-Juve player Luca Pellegrini on loan from Real Madrid for a season. 

sanchez.jpg.eafcad4faa1aa61865135a737f1479c9.jpg

Also I was keen to get a new GK in and again we lost out on our primary target as Islan Meslier moved to Spurs from Barca and turned down our offer. Robert Sanchez is not quite the ex Brighton player Moe that he would end up managing again. He is also not a clear upgrade on Blazquez but I am hoping he does the business for us.

Total 70m spent, but a lot of it was also recouped.

outs2.jpg.dfb9fcda10be314924a9f635df36c4fb.jpg

With Scalvini signing, we decided to let Sutalo move on. Zarraga and Iling both make their loan moves permanent.

outs1.jpg.2ccf4317f32b6175874b32c68b37935c.jpg

Renan Lodi is also moved on as we don't need 3 right backs. The rest are all players who have been out on loan and we decided to sell as they didn't really have a future in Turin.

So we actually ended up getting in more than we spent once again.

I hope the team is good enough to compete for the Champions League, although I am not too sure.

A quick catch-up with the former clubs managed by Moe Bumbercatch.

Brighton have sadly become a mid-table team again, finishing 10th in the EPL last season. They also exited the UCL in the round of 16 stage vs Porto. While they have lost a couple of key players, they continue to spend big bringing in players like Son, Shaw, Samuel Lino, Tielemans, etc. But it seems like the Champions League days are sadly behind them.

Young Boys did manage to retain the league title in 2026, the year after Moe left, but then finished 2nd and 3rd in subsequent seasons. Which is definitely not good enough, and they should hopefully be back challenging for the league this season.

Yverdon sadly promptly got relegated to the Swiss Challenge League, where they have had a couple of 4th place finishes as they try to come back up again.

Back to Juve, it's been a pretty strong start to the season.

tilloct.jpg.b85d9a0885eee0b72c272f89293de6d4.jpg

Liverpool is the only defeat so far, they continue to be a thorn in the side personally for Bumbercatch right from his Brighton days.

table16.jpg.2d5bbea4da06de66ed54b0647b5f2460.jpg

Impressively, Napoli are keeping pace at the top of the table.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Agree with @DavidBeckham on the signing of Scalvini, a perfect fit for your club.

Strong season so far, Napoli look like they will be a tough challenger though. Probably spurred on by the rage of their new club name ;)

Lol - pure laziness on my part to not update the real names...

There was another great young Italian striker at Atalanta but we chose not to sign him and he's moved to Newcastle 

Just now, karanhsingh said:

Lol - pure laziness on my part to not update the real names...

There was another great young Italian striker at Atalanta but we chose not to sign him and he's moved to Newcastle 

No worries, I had to face the mighty Parthenope several times when I was at Stuttgart :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Lol - pure laziness on my part to not update the real names

Fair, but there doesn't seem to be a complete solution. I have a 'names' mod applied but in some parts of the game (eg, in-game scoreboard) they remain Parthenope. Which annoys me more than it should :(

6 minutes ago, warlock said:

Fair, but there doesn't seem to be a complete solution. I have a 'names' mod applied but in some parts of the game (eg, in-game scoreboard) they remain Parthenope. Which annoys me more than it should :(

Funny thing i discovered when managing Juventus - who SI now have full rights for - their B team is still called Zebre U23 :lol:

Also a big piece of transfer news in January, and a complete luxury signing, as Moe's favourite blue eyed boy finally makes the switch from Brighton to Turin

riedss.jpg.176a44f2af49dc8945218090b7d38b24.jpg

He has developed into a world class midfielder, so while Juventus did not quite "need" him, he will still certainly add some extra quality to the side.

Also in anticipation of this move, Moe started using Baldanzi almost exclusively as an inverted winger off the right hand side and he's actually been a revelation there. So it may actually work out really well for the team.

9 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Also a big piece of transfer news in January, and a complete luxury signing, as Moe's favourite blue eyed boy finally makes the switch from Brighton to Turin

riedss.jpg.176a44f2af49dc8945218090b7d38b24.jpg

He has developed into a world class midfielder, so while Juventus did not quite "need" him, he will still certainly add some extra quality to the side.

Also in anticipation of this move, Moe started using Baldanzi almost exclusively as an inverted winger off the right hand side and he's actually been a revelation there. So it may actually work out really well for the team.

I love the fact he’s going everywhere with you. A realistic feel to it. What other famous players have followed managers? Would be interesting to see a list of how often it happens. Maybe not directly but at least twice over the space of the career 

1 minute ago, SixPointer said:

I love the fact he’s going everywhere with you. A realistic feel to it. What other famous players have followed managers? Would be interesting to see a list of how often it happens. Maybe not directly but at least twice over the space of the career 

Yes it is a good narrative!

Ricardo Carvalho and Jose Mourinho is the first pair that springs to mind - porto, Chelsea and madrid. I'm sure there's more. 

You always seem to get that one club who goes the distance with you. It’ll change from season to season - but there’ll always be one. 

7 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Yes it is a good narrative!

Ricardo Carvalho and Jose Mourinho is the first pair that springs to mind - porto, Chelsea and madrid. I'm sure there's more. 

I think Nemanja Matic is another one who Jose likes to call upon. (Chelsea, Man Utd and now Roma)

2 hours ago, TheGoodRebel said:

You always seem to get that one club who goes the distance with you. It’ll change from season to season - but there’ll always be one. 

I think Nemanja Matic is another one who Jose likes to call upon. (Chelsea, Man Utd and now Roma)

Yep that's another good one!

Jan and Feb were decent months, although we went out of one competition and also lost our invincible record in the league, both to the same team. Hello new bogey side.

janfeb1.jpg.5bafe89ceda872a4980deeb7ff4b8fc0.jpg

As you can see, we dispatched Wolfsburg in the UEFA Champions League play-off which set up a tie against fellow German opposition Dortmund. However I was quite confident as this BVB side seemed a lot weaker than the one at the start of the save.

Chelsea at home... we get lucky as star striker Sesko gets injured during the first few minutes of the game.

20230701225228_1.jpg.a04552a965e22c43989cc92578925421.jpg

However, we still went a goal down, but then battled back for a deserved 2-1 win. It is all to play for at Stamford Bridge.