[FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 4 - Juventus

karanhsingh

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This time, sadly we concede the early goal. It comes from a poor clearance from the GK - unpardonable in a final.

0-1.jpg.66c695f7dc5a62582e03047381d1c1f0.jpg

The only good thing is that we have enough time to bounce back. We are slowly growing into the game when this happens.

0-2.jpg.43766c7223712cb180b5796b005b78a7.jpg

On this occasion, it comes from our striker Itten losing the ball. Two goals conceded from turnovers inside our own half.

1-2no.jpg.6d8c5cc0b2a09e1d11ae6fecad5dd973.jpg

A glimmer of hope before half-time! Or is it?! The goal is chalked off by VAR unfortunately.

HT.jpg.3b49c63e63614ce1150af3e77cc93df0.jpg

The stats will show we don't deserve to be losing at HT, let alone losing by 2 goals. But in finals, it all comes down to the finer details and not making mistakes. Unfortunately, we have not held our nerve so far. We are switching to a 4-4-2 and going all out in the second half.

Edited by karanhsingh

We start the second half in the ascendancy and then Nice get a throw in deep in our half.

0-3.jpg.b5a133ca3a6c4aef586d96435b465f07.jpg

The ball is lifted to the back post, and Laborde powers in a thumping header. It's all over, there is no way back now. Three really poor goals to concede in any game, let alone a final.

FT.jpg.bc100edf38b11bf0681dc19ed90fcb28.jpg

That goal absolutely knocked the stuffing out of us. The game ends with both the sides fairly even on stats and xG. But the winning margin for Nice is a whopping 3 goals.

Nice were clinical, while the Young Boys were actually too "nice". It's been a learning experience. The pressure of playing in a major final is something else altogether.

And so, the Young Boys finish as UEFA Conference League finalists of 2025. This time, it was not to be.

The Swiss Super League of course was won at a canter. Sadly, we could not go invincible as we lost a couple of stupid games at the end, when everything was already decided. But we did hit the 100 point mark which is pretty special!

table4.jpg.af08e64b335913fb61cf8e600f6ee1f2.jpg

Also the Swiss Cup was secured in a rather eventful final against Servette:

cupfinal.jpg.2b9352e344213d9ab9a6228c52e03ef0.jpg

And so we managed to complete the domestic double, even if the big European title just evaded us.

The squad stats are littered with exceptional performances across the board.

sats.jpg.32c4da99ab2b75f0916acfb085328dc3.jpg

Zeki Amdouni finishes as top scorer with 26 goals despite his season ending injury in March. It's a story of what might have been in the UEFA Conference final had he stayed fit.

Kastriot Imeri was our assist machine with a whopping 32 from the left wing. Fabian Rieder though is certainly the best player on this team, and duly delivered with 20 goals + 20 assists from midfield. He surely cannot stay in Switzerland for too long.

At the back Mohammed Camara was an absolute beast and even popped up with 18 goals himself. Cheikh Niasse was a very dependable performer in the DM role and has quietly helped himself to 10 goals + 10 assists for the season too.

Here for a good time, not a long time

With that, it seems the right time to sign off from the Young Boys after a fantastic season. Moe would gladly stay if they could have another shot at the UEFA Conference League, but that would mean finishing 3rd in the league!

An interesting opportunity has popped up at the end of the season:

brightonnext.jpg.ab244972777ddcd44416ad38816a4d74.jpg

Brighton are mid-table in the Premier league, and just lost their manager Lionel Scaloni to Arsenal who have been struggling badly as well. Could this be the right time to make the jump to a team in the biggest & most popular league in the world?

15 minutes ago, Carambau said:

Congratulations on the double! Great performance in switzerland there. Now it looks like its time to move indeed :) 

Thanks! Although winning the double with this team was the minimum expectation. And yes it might be time to move. 

19 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck on your next challenge. I see you really have lost time to play FM because of the baby :lol:

I think I'll have to start doing more frequent updates here about the save looking at my current pace of playing!

Moe has made the move to Brighton & Hove Albion.

brighton.jpg.f8240cca3302bd92bbb323900b2c2d92.jpg

amex.jpg.7fb93abf50b494df87140b9b5368356b.jpg

Welcome to the Premier League!

Brighton in game have not been faring as well as real life, actually getting relegated before bouncing back and then finishing mid-table under Scaloni who left for Arsenal. 

Brighton of course is a very well run club which is admired a lot in real life, and it will be nice to manage them in the game. Definitely intend on staying here for more than a season.

The objectives for Moe at Brighton are very simple. He was surprised to find out the club has never won any silverware in their entire history.

- qualify for a European competition for the first time in the club's history

- win something, anything! Bring home Brighton's first ever trophy.

2 hours ago, Swaban said:

nice! any plans to try and use a somewhat moneyball approach like Brighton do?

Cheers - well I can tell you we already have a positive net spend from the first transfer window. But yes I'd like to follow a similar recruitment strategy as they have in real life at the moment. 

27 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck in Brighton. For sure a great club and stadium, great philosophies, and a lovely place to live! :cool:

Absolutely! Have you lived there? I went on a holiday ages ago with my first girlfriend so have some nice memories :)

10 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Absolutely! Have you lived there? I went on a holiday ages ago with my first girlfriend so have some nice memories :)

I haven't actually lived there, but have visited and almost got a job there some years back. People I know that have lived there always speak highly about it. Very expensive living there though, so make sure you negotiate good contracts!

Weirdly missed all this action here! Congrats on the league title, and the Brighton job. 

Heartbreak in Europe. As you’ll see, I had an eerily similar result against Nice in Europe, though in a much less massive match.

Looking forward to new adventures on the south coast!

6 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I haven't actually lived there, but have visited and almost got a job there some years back. People I know that have lived there always speak highly about it. Very expensive living there though, so make sure you negotiate good contracts!

Ha! Thanks for the tip 

5 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Weirdly missed all this action here! Congrats on the league title, and the Brighton job. 

Heartbreak in Europe. As you’ll see, I had an eerily similar result against Nice in Europe, though in a much less massive match.

Looking forward to new adventures on the south coast!

Thank you! 

29 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Wonderful work in Switzerland! A feel like Brighton is a great move, feels real as well. Surely you’ll be looking to take at least Rieder with you to the south coast. 

Spoiler alert - you guessed absolutely right!

Brighton - summer of 2025

The Brighton squad looked very different from the original at the time of Moe Bumbercatch's arrival. Alexis MacAllister, Moises Caicedo, Kaoru Mitoma, Pervis Estupinan, Solly March, Evan Ferguson are all gone. But that being said, the squad remains in very strong shape with quality personnel like Julio Enciso (who has emerged as a top quality attacking talent), the reliable CB partnership of Dunk & Webster, Pobega, Moder & Kozlowski in midfield, and also Maxi Gomez up front who actually finished as 2nd top scorer in the EPL the previous season.

As a result, wholesale changes were definitely not required over the summer. In fact, the squad was trimmed quite a bit, with for example the club having 4 very solid options on left flank. Without further ado, here are the transfers. 

Of course, being back in England means that the transfers for a particular summer get divided across two pages - you'd think after literally 5+ seasons of the same bug SI would have some sort of solution for it.

Here are the OUTS:

out0.jpg.cd8b7251ef47f8eb831faa6f3b4f66a3.jpg

out1.jpg.010a299dd601f8faecf8df10e631767f.jpg

Piatek was 3rd choice striker so had to go. Doku - a good talent but now likely beyond the point of realizing it. 3rd choice option for LW at best. Then come the two "controversial" transfers. Lamptey - the fans did not like that one. He seems a fantastic RWB in a back 5, however I couldn't wrap my head around a right back in a back 4 with a 2(!!) for jumping, 8 for marking and 7 for heading. 40m seemed a good fee for him, even if it was quite strange it came from Donetsk. Finally - Billy Gilmour. We did not really look to sell him. However the West Ham bid came in and he wanted to leave. Again, a young talent probably past the point of fulfilling his true potential. And as you will see, we did bring in some midfield reinforcements.

And so, the INS:

ins.jpg.5073ef9e3e5ae80673ca67a399ee805c.jpg

Yes, Moe went back to his old stomping ground for no less than 3 players. Fabien Rieder of course was the first name on the list, being easily the best player probably in the entire Swiss league and definitely ready for a move to the big leagues. Jordan Lotomba signed after a search did not yield any better players for the RB role - he would compete with on-loan Rico Lewis from Man City (there is an 8.7m option to buy for him). Cheikh Niasse was signed on deadline day after allowing the Gilmour move - a very different type of player but as Moe knew him to be a very dependable defensive midfielder / anchorman. Calvin Bassey came back home to England in a 15m+ move from Hoffenheim to provide an option at both LB & CB. Finally, Ben Beechey is an exciting young 17 year old signed from Lincoln and sent back there on loan for the season.

Rico Lewis is a good bit of business if you can get him permanently. AI Man City often lets its young talent leave on Free Transfers. I have Nico O'Reilly at Preston. (He started some matches for Pep THIS season at 17)

It's time for the half-season review from the Amex:

Must be said that's it's been a good start to life in England for Moe. The same 4-3-3 formation which was used with the Young Boys over in Switzerland has been solid in the Premier League as well.

augsepoct.jpg.4bf894cf07d3ec6d0bb59938e7d0fa6d.jpg

nvodec.jpg.472a085efc26429c6fb6079786159fee.jpg

Taking a look at the table, one can easily see why the EPL is considered the best and most competitive league in the world

table5.jpg.6101cc03cdcaa4afa649254190206581.jpg

It's incredibly tight at the top, with Brighton finding themselves in 3rd spot (was actually top spot at the turn of the year) but only 3 points separating the first 6 places. It's all to play for in the second half of the season.

The first cup - the Carabao - saw an early exit at Anfield in what was an unlucky result for the sea-gulls

anfild.jpg.edb22777321f66cbb5018e31801235a7.jpg

Liverpool are already emerging as something of a Bogey side for Bumbercatch's men with 3 defeats from 3 games so far. Really cannot wait to get one over them!

And here is how the squad has been performing so far:

stats1.jpg.e05d565f834bb068a729603302045149.jpg

The highlights include

- Maxi Gomez, who is top scorer with 12 goals

- Fabian Rieder has taken to EPL football like a fish to water with 3 goals and 9 assists 

- Webster has been a rock at the back and somehow popped up with 7 goals as well

- Pobega is an excellent BBM midfielder and drawing interest from all the big Italian clubs 

Moe would however like to see some more goals and assists from his wide players despite the fact that both Enciso and Strefezza have racked up some pretty good ratings

• karanhsingh changed the title to [FM23] - Moe Bumbercatch - a European journeyman story - chapter 3 - Brighton & Hove Albion

Good business and great first half. Sorry if you already answered, but where did Brighton finish the previous season? Do you think you can keep up a title challenge? Seems like you’re comfortably beating all but the top teams…

53 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

Good business and great first half. Sorry if you already answered, but where did Brighton finish the previous season? Do you think you can keep up a title challenge? Seems like you’re comfortably beating all but the top teams…

Thanks! They finished 10th last season so mid table. Title challenge feels unlikely, that will probably fade away, but we should be looking good to meet our objective of qualifying for Europe. 

Just picked up from the move to Brighton, there were a more than a few outgoing transfers during that first window. However, bringing in some of those familiar faces will help to provide a little continuity for you playing the save, enabling you to build on their narrative. 

Have a big soft spot for Brighton, Tony Bloom has worked wonders at the club...I think you could be the man to build on the existing foundations. 

7 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Just picked up from the move to Brighton, there were a more than a few outgoing transfers during that first window. However, bringing in some of those familiar faces will help to provide a little continuity for you playing the save, enabling you to build on their narrative. 

Have a big soft spot for Brighton, Tony Bloom has worked wonders at the club...I think you could be the man to build on the existing foundations. 

Thanks! And yes me too - such a fantastically well run club IRL. 

1 hour ago, DavidBeckham said:

Fantastic start at Brighton mate! Maxi Gomez has been an absolute goal machine! The league is so tight and I may put in a cheeky bet on you winning it ;)

Ha! Hope you're a better better than Ivan Toney :brock:

The January transfer window ended up being busier than anticipated:

janouts.jpg.a356c4f2b60f4b12e69e6035e4179c12.jpg

Two major departures. van Hecke threw a major fuss about leaving the club which was really strange given we were involved in a title race. He wanted to go to Lazio but they did not offer enough money. Ultimately, it did not make sense keeping him as the situation was beginning to affect the squad. So off he goes from a title battle to a relegation fight :lol: idiot...

Ola Solbakken was moved on for a high fee on deadline day as he was not really threatening to break into the first team. We will be looking out for a new right winger for sure come the summer, someone who can really add quality to the side.

Anyway, these are the boys who joined us in January. The South American scouts have surely been put to work!

janins.jpg.4f24ada50a2974098383bb8b291bf4b0.jpg

Obviously Jadon Sancho is the high profile signing, even though its a short term move as he wanted some first team football with the WC coming up. Hopefully, he can make an impact for us.

And now for the South American wizkids!

pablo.jpg.888a3c4ae1f81856d8c43910563b595f.jpg

This guy looks absolutely brilliant, and goes straight into the side as a replacement for the departing van Hecke. His Argentina caps came after joining us, btw.

salgado.jpg.57de5e373c4782d5674068acf892220e.jpg

The Colombian Salgado also looks like a very solid DM, although he has been shipped out to Frankfurt on loan for the remainder of the season as we already have 5 first team midfielders in the squad.

cohen.jpg.52236dc9559d9be919b5d678e04af8b5.jpg

Martin Cohen is an interesting Argentinian/ Israeli CB - probably would not have been signed had we found Pablo Ruiz before him. But he also seems to have good potential and joins the U21s for now.

endoffeb.jpg.c46ff20ddfce2d7038e4785d572390b7.jpg

Jan and Feb were interesting months - an embarrassing defeat at Huddersfield meant our FA cup "journey" ended early - really disappointing as I desperately want to win a cup for Brighton. But in the league we have been excellent, with some huge wins the biggest one being against Man Utd who find themselves mid-table. City have dropped some stupid points, which means we somehow find ourselves at the top of the table.

table6.jpg.eb7a06428e17f7cbe5acd219c0d05cfd.jpg

We are about to play City at home so we will see how serious our title aspirations really are...

ouch.jpg.73475ecd43fb333127d54dbb587ba4d5.jpg

Ouch...! We are not nearly as bad as the scoreline suggests, but make no mistake, this was a footballing lesson.

I have no idea how Man City are not comfortably winning the league. Their side is littered with world class talent all over the pitch and spearheaded by Haaland averaging over a goal a game.

Great stuff overall. Some hilarious transfer business - £50m for two so-so players? Great finds for close to nothing for a hugely profitable window.

Brutal v City though. They can be so clinical. The key seems to be disrupting build up play so they can’t create good chances. If you sit too deep they’ll rip you apart and if you push up they’ll get in behind. There’s a bit of picking your poison though, unless you can meet them in terms of talent (which is not often).

12 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Great stuff overall. Some hilarious transfer business - £50m for two so-so players? Great finds for close to nothing for a hugely profitable window.

Brutal v City though. They can be so clinical. The key seems to be disrupting build up play so they can’t create good chances. If you sit too deep they’ll rip you apart and if you push up they’ll get in behind. There’s a bit of picking your poison though, unless you can meet them in terms of talent (which is not often).

I really don't know what to do with all this money! The board keeps refusing a new stadium as well. 

Yes regarding City. Totally at a loss of how to stop them. In fact Haaland never crossed 20 goals somehow till we came to the EPL and now this year he has almost 40 :lol:

10 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

That Argentinian is going to be world class, jealous!

Cheers! He has a minimum fee release clause, need to try and get rid of it. 

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Having a great season. A shame you didn't get to start with the original squad and see what you could do with them. But in the times you are in, still a great club to manage and going very well for you despite the Man City game.

Thank you! Yes really enjoying my time in the south of England so far. 

marapr.jpg.a34490e8ea2a593749f3d6816ddf03b2.jpg

We followed up that defeat to Man City with another stinker in the South as we went down 1-3 to the Saints. However, Man City drew Newcastle and then lost at Bournemouth to give us some hope. We beat mid-table Chelsea to go back on top of the league, before we were unlucky to lose a very tough and evenly fought game at Spurs, which once again meant City pipped us at the top. 

However at the end of April, a good home win over Leeds combined with the red side of Manchester winning their derby meant we would somehow go into the final month at the top of the table.

table7.jpg.53e24a96cb180ab529415306ff1454ab.jpg

This was indeed turning into quite the title race, and even Spurs could not be totally counted out yet.

Brighton just 3 games away from glory, but the fixtures read Aston Villa (a), Crystal Palace (h) and Arsenal (a). This meant that Man City were still heavy favourites.

Man City drew 0-0 at Watford somehow right before our game against "rivals" Palace, which means a home win would take us 3 points clear into GW38 and just needing a point at Arsenal. Surely we would do the job at home.

palacehome.jpg.2decf4e6bda4134dab26729380fe645d.jpg

A real sucker punch to go a goal up and then still draw. Bassey made a stupid mistake for their goal by giving the ball away in our own half, but we still should have mounted more of an effort in the second half. Bitterly disappointing.

Spoiler alert - what follows is scarcely believable, in the world of FM or real life football. Let's begin.

Here are the team sheets for the massive game. We are at full-strength, except for missing Rico Lewis at RB due to injury.

20230613230956_1.jpg.552c6bbbdaa4d8bc029e22b520ad7656.jpg