At what age is it safe to loan a player out?

I just got my first youth intake in my School of Shithousery save with Everton and, oh boy

Spoiler

Screenshot2023-06-01at14_05_12.thumb.png.b030fc972205e6f6dae5bee58ba680c0.png

My AM thinks this lad is already good enough to play in the national league

But I seem to remember FM has specific, for lack of a better word, rules to developing youngsters. I think its if age <=17 then they should just be training then =>18 its playtime is the most important. 

So is there any benefit to loaning this fella out? Thankfully I got Crewe as an affiliate who have excellent youth and training facilities so if he was able to play there he wouldn't lose much with training but would gain a (hopefully) significant playing time. 

Ta ta

Under 18, training is much more important than playing. Once a player turns 18, playing becomes more important, and the level of importance increases as he gets older. Once a player hits 24, training doesn't matter nearly as much anymore. I believe that's how it works. I would say keep him until he's 18, and then send him to Crewe (if he's good enough for their league at that point).

Training and playing matches at an appropriate level are always both important.  However before the age of 18 Training takes precedence.  Once a player hits 18, match time at an appropriate level takes precedence.

So unless you are going to loan an under 18 player to a club with much better training facilities/coaches than your own, I’d never loan an under 18 player.  And even if such a club did want to loan him I still wouldn’t sanction the loan because when we loan players out we lose all control over their training.  We may want to develop such a young player into, say, a Deep Lying Playmaker- or work on his physical attributes for example - but there is no guarantee a loaning club would set their training up for him in that manner.

Once at 18 start thinking more seriously about loans if you can’t give a player appropriate match time.  How to assess appropriate match time at a prospective loaning club?  Look at the division they are playing in and compare that to your coach report about your player.  If the loaning club are at the level (or better) than what your coaches say the player is ready for AND the loaning club will make the player a “Regular Starter” (or better) then the loan should be fine.  It’s pointless sending your young player to the best club in the world if all he’s going to do is clean the senior player’s boots.

imo loans to help develop players are better than they used to be in FM, even to clubs in unloaded leagues.

On 01/06/2023 at 06:09, allyc31 said:

I just got my first youth intake in my School of Shithousery save with Everton and, oh boy

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2023-06-01at14_05_12.thumb.png.b030fc972205e6f6dae5bee58ba680c0.png

My AM thinks this lad is already good enough to play in the national league

But I seem to remember FM has specific, for lack of a better word, rules to developing youngsters. I think its if age <=17 then they should just be training then =>18 its playtime is the most important. 

So is there any benefit to loaning this fella out? Thankfully I got Crewe as an affiliate who have excellent youth and training facilities so if he was able to play there he wouldn't lose much with training but would gain a (hopefully) significant playing time. 

Ta ta

If you do end up lending them out, look for clubs with a good squad personality to positively impact the youth player.