Release clause not valid because of rivalry?

This guy has a release clause of 10 million for teams in the CL. I'm in the CL why don't they accept? The text in red says we're rivals so does that mean the release clause doesn't count? Is that even a thing? I also tried to buy him in January but then it said in red they weren't prepared to sell him in the middle of the season. So you can just deny a release clause? Can I do that to my players?

Joe Goldberg_ Inbox.png

Mike Trésor_ Contract Details.png

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't recognise that you're in CL until you actually participate in one of the draws. So, if you're directly qualifued to the league phase, then you'll have to wait a bit for the clause to be activable for you.

35 minutes ago, sdx15 said:

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't recognise that you're in CL until you actually participate in one of the draws. So, if you're directly qualifued to the league phase, then you'll have to wait a bit for the clause to be activable for you.

They wouldn't accept my 10 million back in January either when I was still very much active in the CL, played my last CL game in February against Chelsea.

38 minutes ago, sdx15 said:

Besides I have no problem buying players from abroad with the same CL release clause

1 minute ago, Gangor said:

Are Genk also in the CL?

No they play Conference League, but that's it isn't it? The release clause says continental football, not just CL. It's because Genk also play continental football. I think that might be it.

12 minutes ago, Meireke said:

Besides I have no problem buying players from abroad with the same CL release clause

Then that's something for the bug tracker. In real life, there could be release clauses which exlude rival clubs, but FM doesn't have that.

A release clause for continental competition is only considered active if the 'selling' club isn't also in continental competition. 

It actually makes it easier to hang on to players now if you make the Champions League, since the league stage doesn't finish until late January. So even if you lose all your games, clubs only have a few days to get a bid in.