European Championship group rankings. The sorting rules seem bugged.

See the images. Unless I am mistaken Sweden should have finished in last place, not 2nd and qualify, while Greece (myself) should have been 2nd. 

First criteria is results between teams. The results were Sweden - Greece 1-1, Sweden - Scotland 1-1 and Greece - Scotland 0-0.

Second criteria is goal difference. Sweden has -3 while both Greece and Scotland have -1. 

According to these rules both Greece and Scotland should have finished above Sweden. Or have I somehow completely misinterpreted things?!

Greece finishing above Scotland is correct as they have more goals scored. But Sweden should have finished in last place, thanks to the 0-3 drubbing they received from Croatia in the last match.

Screenshot_20230605_090659_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20230605_090743_FM23 Mobile.jpg

Screenshot_20230605_092333_FM23 Mobile.jpg

• SI Staff

If you can send that save game in then it'd be much appreciated - Presuming it is an issue then I expect its a race condition to do with there being three teams all at the same points total and probably some other oddity (however it'll need to be checked further as these rules are darn confusing at the best of times).

Over on fmmvibe someone pointed out this article from three years ago and according to him this shows that the rankings in my group are actually correct.... Now I am confused... I am not sure that the situation in the article is identical to mine but if it is then I think the game had it right and it's not a mistake/bug.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/euro-2020-group-stages-points-24250173?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Edit: after reading the article again on how the criteria are applied I think the rankings in the game were correct. If someone can confirm this then this whole thread can be ignored/deleted.

Edited by Arsy

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2023 at 20:36, Arsy said:

Over on fmmvibe someone pointed out this article from three years ago and according to him this shows that the rankings in my group are actually correct.... Now I am confused... I am not sure that the situation in the article is identical to mine but if it is then I think the game had it right and it's not a mistake/bug.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/euro-2020-group-stages-points-24250173?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Edit: after reading the article again on how the criteria are applied I think the rankings in the game were correct. If someone can confirm this then this whole thread can be ignored/deleted.

Yeah I think so. Going by that criteria, all three teams on 2 pts drew with each other, so a) is out. They all have the same goal difference in head-to-head matches, so b) is out despite Sweden getting the worst defeat by Croatia, so then c), Sweden score 2 goals and Greece and Scotland each only scored 1. So Sweden go through.