Unrealistic appointments

I'm playing the 2032-33 season. Immediately after retiring, these players became head coaches and have attained the following reputations and jobs:

• Tammy Abraham - World Class - AC Milan - ranked 7th in the world
  • Raheem Sterling - World Class - Atletico Madrid - ranked 14th in the world
  • Jordan Pickford - Continental - England - no ranking information

I find this very unrealistic. I understand the need to recycle players into managers but the game is just matching players with no football management experience with vacant top tier jobs and handing them elite reputations.

I’ve noticed this too. Vertonghen got the Real Sociedad job immediately after retiring and Manuel Neur got the Porto job and is ranked above Klopp, Arteta, and a host of other well known and experienced managers. This feature would be really cool/immersive if ex players had more realistic managerial career paths (eg. Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, Kompany) but as it is it’s just sort of frustrating 

Edited by lcutini

Yes, this thing has been bugging me for years. Any semi-famous player retires, he is instantly a world class coach, with zero experience. Like your said, the game needs to replace the retiring coaches with someone equally good but a better progression system needs to be created for them because the current one is totally unrealistic. New coaches shouldn't necessarily start with "unknown" reputiation, but getting instant top reputation isn't ok either. For every real-life Arteta or Guardiola you have a dozen other retired players never making it as coaches. At least not at top level.

• SI Staff

The idea behind this is that they get some boost to their reputation from their career which allows them to launch as a coach better than most managers, its the 'Lampard' effect where despite not setting the world alight as a manager he's managed to land Premiership positions several times now.

What does need to be improved (imho) is that their reputation should collapse faster in this case when they do badly (its on my list).