Tactics - Relationships

Hello! After a successful season managing Real Madrid, I have some questions about the colored lines that appear on the tactics screen. This is my current tactic:

image.thumb.jpeg.419433a9e35d9679fe5183798056c1af.jpeg

As you can see, there are several healthy colored lines. I still do not know what they mean. Now, I move  players a little bit...

image.thumb.jpeg.6b3184877f7e01c66b7923f596b59657.jpeg

And most of the lines disappear! What is the ingame explanation of this behaviour? Why does Valverde retain his relationship with Ibañez, a recent signing, yet loses it with Militao, with whom he played all the previous season? Why do the forwards lose their relationships? Is Vinicius now too far from Alaba for them to create a real brond?

I hope somebody can share some wisdom because I am completely clueless.

• SI Staff

A player can only have a strong on-pitch relationship with players who are considered in close proximity to their playing position - thus your keeper won't ever have a line connecting a striker because of this.

In the formation you showed having players in the FR/L position precludes easly relationships with central midfielders, this might be a tad harsh and its something I can look at for next years version if you think its confusing?

PS - These lines don't affect play, they simply show where there have been positive or negative correlations between the players you're fielding - ie. if two players play badly or well together as a unit.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer.

I think it is confusing. The distance between Oshimen and both wingers is the same in both tactics, yet lines do not appear on the second tactic.

Also, on the first tactic, Valverde has lines with both central defenders, yet on the second tactic it only has lines with one of them.

And finally, how is proximity measured? On the second tactic, the distance from Valverde to Ibañez seems equal to the distance from Oshimen to Camavinga or Modric, yet there is no line displayed for their relationship.

21 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

A player can only have a strong on-pitch relationship with players who are considered in close proximity to their playing position - thus your keeper won't ever have a line connecting a striker because of this.

In the formation you showed having players in the FR/L position precludes easly relationships with central midfielders, this might be a tad harsh and its something I can look at for next years version if you think its confusing?

PS - These lines don't affect play, they simply show where there have been positive or negative correlations between the players you're fielding - ie. if two players play badly or well together as a unit.

So does this influence player performance during a game or not? Because I don't understand.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Arsy said:

So does this influence player performance during a game or not? Because I don't understand.

The lines on the grid show where players ARE performing well together its an aid to show you where players might not be complimentary or are struggling as a unit, they do NOT dictate players performance (it'd be a bit cruel if they did as they're driven partially by player performances).

Player relationships with others within the squad do help their performances somewhat indirectly (ie. they heighten morale etc.) and as an aside in case you didn't know the captain you select has more effect on his 'unit' than he would otherwise.

8 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

The lines on the grid show where players ARE performing well together its an aid to show you where players might not be complimentary or are struggling as a unit, they do NOT dictate players performance (it'd be a bit cruel if they did as they're driven partially by player performances).

Player relationships with others within the squad do help their performances somewhat indirectly (ie. they heighten morale etc.) and as an aside in case you didn't know the captain you select has more effect on his 'unit' than he would otherwise.

This is cool. I would like to understand it better. Is there a thread about it other than this one? Is there an explanation somewhere else?

Thanks for any info.

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, DW19 said:

This is cool. I would like to understand it better. Is there a thread about it other than this one? Is there an explanation somewhere else?

If you search this forum then there are lots of bits and pieces - I think if you look at my profile you'll probably find a fair few posts explaining bits and pieces that might be helpful, if i ever get a chance I'll try and write a comprehensive 'Hints and tips' guide again ... but I'm rather rushed off my feet in the main these days.