Have you ever signed a player because of the name?

Have you ever signed a player because of the name? Or in my case, I opted to not sign a player because of the name:

I'm managing Juventus in 2042, and my scout recommends a similar younger player to my MC playmaker Austrian Florian Schmidt. And his name is Mikkel Schmidt from Denmark. So the successor for Schmidt is Schmidt. This would get confusing when putting the team sheet together, so I decided to pass on buying Mikkel.

image.png.69f67c80f28c5ae9fc643e9feb8c00c0.png

I decided to go with a younger player that has room to grow while Florian Schmidt is winding down:

image.png.536cdcc4723ecbc5bf938a19142b27bb.png

I’ve done this loads. Also, I’ll sign someone because of their nationality. For instance, I might decide that what I really need in my side is a Norwegian right back. If you think it’s a daft way to go about your recruitment then you’d be absolutely right.

Its probably why I don’t win anything. 

Ages ago in an older version of FM, I found a regen named Maradona. Not Diego, but still. Maradona! 

Of course I had to sign him. I made him a permanent starter. Maradona! I kept him for his entire career, and although he didn't quite live up to his legendary name, he did win the Champions League. Yay!

Reminds me of a save I had towards the end of either FM12 or 13 called 'The Smiths'. I created an American tycoon, called Smith Smithsonian, gave the club unlimited resources - but limited myself to signing players and staff with 'Smith' in their name. It took a few seasons to offload all the non-Smiths in the squads (and the youth squad was always a right-off), but I got there in the end. I think it was mainly a team of regens and don't remember winning any silverwere, but I think we had a promotion - it's all a bit hazy now.

It was a fun but short lived game as I dropped it as soon as the next version was released. I'd love to revisit that game - or maybe start a new one.

• 2 weeks later...