Do the mark specific position and show onto foot instructions work?

Sometimes I think opposition instructions don't work. I manage Newcastle United and I have Federico Di Marco at my left back, my opponent is Arsenal and a left footed Bukayo Saka on the right wing. I choose "Show onto right foot" for Saka from the opposition instructions, but during the game Saka starts to use his strong left foot much more and comfortably.

I also couldn't understand how the "mark specific position" instruction works. What the person in this link said made a lot of sense to me, but I observed that it did not work like that at all during the match.

So think about it this way, Every player has line an invisible zone where they operate (the blue circle in the screenshot). This zone can get bigger or smaller depending on some instructions. Let's say you have the team pressing at the minimum, it doesn't mean that your players won't press, it just reduces the area of that zone and the opposite happens when you ask your team to press more.

603317548_playerzone.png.d573cd67e0f2802178885e2047d762e6.png

Now with the mark tighter team instruction, every player in your team is going to stick closer to any opposition that enters their zone. For example if one of the opposition player enters the zone of number 8 in the screenshot, it will be the job of number 8 to mark him until the player moves away from his zone and then the marking responsibility will move to the next player.

With the player instruction, if you select the "mark specific player" instruction where you specify the player you want to be marked by name, that is pure man marking and that is what the guy who made the video was expecting to see with the other marking instructions. So my number 8 is going to follow the person I asked him to mark all over the pitch where ever he goes.

The "mark specific position" on the other hand is zonal, so If I told my No 8 to mark the ST position, the instruction is going to kick in only when the player playing in the ST position enters the zone of No 8 so Ideally you want to use this against roles that play close to each other like central midfielders and central midfielders, wingers and fullbacks, central defenders and strikers etc. 

I'm not sure how all if this affects set pieces.

I hope my explanation is clear 

Edited by ObeLisk

59 minutes ago, ObeLisk said:

Sometimes I think opposition instructions don't work. I manage Newcastle United and I have Federico Di Marco at my left back, my opponent is Arsenal and a left footed Bukayo Saka on the right wing. I choose "Show onto right foot" for Saka from the opposition instructions, but during the game Saka starts to use his strong left foot much more and comfortably.

I also couldn't understand how the "mark specific position" instruction works. What the person in this link said made a lot of sense to me, but I observed that it did not work like that at all during the match.

Whenever you ask a player to do something, you're impacting his tendency to do it. Players w/good teamwork and the attribute your asking them to use (marking for example), will do it more often/be more successful at it.

Saka is a very good player, and wants to play his game as well. Sounds like Di Marco (a fairly attacking wingback is having a difficult time impacting his game). 

23 dakika önce, Cloud9 said:

Whenever you ask a player to do something, you're impacting his tendency to do it. Players w/good teamwork and the attribute your asking them to use (marking for example), will do it more often/be more successful at it.

Saka is a very good player, and wants to play his game as well. Sounds like Di Marco (a fairly attacking wingback is having a difficult time impacting his game). 

But I used Di Marco in a defensive role.

Also, although Martinelli has very low marking ability, he can run to the defense and get the ball from my player. It's impossible for him to mark so successfully.

15 minutes ago, ObeLisk said:

But I used Di Marco in a defensive role.

Also, although Martinelli has very low marking ability, he can run to the defense and get the ball from my player. It's impossible for him to mark so successfully.

The players attributes impact how he plays the roles as well, even if Di Marco is in a defensive role he's still an attacking wingback. Players with Strength and Aggression will impact an opposition player much more. It's difficult to influence strong dribblers who are quicker than your player as well. 

Again I think it's more that Saka is better at dictating what he wants to happen than DiMarco is at stopping him.

On Zonal Marking, that is pretty much how it should work. When a player moves into his zone of the pitch, he'll look to mark him. Marking instructions you have to be extra careful with, since they'll pull your players all over the place if you use more than a couple. 

Edited by Cloud9

1 hour ago, ObeLisk said:

Of course it isn't impossible, he may not be a defender but he's still capable of defending 

I agree with @Cloud9here, it's the ME's way of showing you Saka is capable of playing his game without your man being about to defend against him effectively 

That's enough, I'm bored. I've decided not to play until Football Manager makes a decent game.

No player on the team cares about my instructions. Even many of my opponents with very simple players can easily stop my best players by marking them, but my players can't do anything.

Unless you understand the logic of artificial intelligence in this game, you are nothing and computer-controlled teams can play well even if they are very weak teams because they know this match engine very well.

The instructions in no way work as written in their descriptions, even players who have the ability to execute an instruction act ridiculously on the field.

The player named Nketiah, who knows nothing but running, is constantly running behind my defense, but my player named Isak is just waiting on the field like a statue despite playing Advanced Forward. There is no mentality or team instruction that I haven't tried, I applied them all.

Arsenal's Inside Forward players can move around the field in narrow spaces as they wish, but they still prefer to stay in very wide spaces, even though I have given "stay narrow" instructions to my Inside Forward players from both team and player instructions.

In addition, these players are very active, they constantly come up to their own defense and play with the ball in that area, and they come to my pen by walking from the back.

Did you play hard against these players? It didn't work.
Did you play soft against these players? It didn't work.
Did you make a mark? It didn't work.
There is nothing else to try.

This doesn't just happen when I play with Newcastle United. I have similar issues when I have a Manchester City and Arsenal career. The team turns into a complete scrap heap in my hands, whereas I don't use any unrelated instructions and roles.

Edited by ObeLisk