Poor Mr Baningime . . .

I have upset him apparently. He wanted to play as a ball-winning central midfielder and I played him for about 10 games as a ball-winning defensive midfielder i.e. about 5 metres deeper than he was expecting. Then, when I realised my error, I moved him forward to a central midfielder's slot, still as a ball-winner. But he still wasn't happy. In the "Promises" screen he was saying something like "time is running out to play him in his preferred position".  I couldn't understand it at all. Perhaps it was a bug? But then I had to make a change of position for another player and I altered that player's training position as well. So I checked Mr Baningime's training page and I still had him in the defensive midfielder's slot. Aargh!! So then I changed that and for the last 10 games of the season he was perfectly aligned with the central midfield - and after the last match of the season he told me he no longer had any concerns about my tactical decisions. What a relief! I had only played him 40+ times as a ball-winning midfielder in the season and we had just got promoted to the Premiership.

The point of this long-winded rigmarole is that a player would not be upset about playing as a defensive midfielder instead of central midfielder. During a game, all midfielders both defend and attack (even if it is in just a supporting role). I could understand it if I was putting him repeatedly at left back, or up front, or something - but 5 metres closer to our own penalty area? Nope, I don't think so. This could have led to another player revolt if I hadn't adjusted his training settings in time.  

I think this is something that might be improved in future. Perhaps there could be a dialogue option whereby a manager asks a player if he minds adjusting his position. Sometimes he will, sometimes he won't.

1 hour ago, dudge7 said:

Just be thankful he was fit enough to play that many games for you. He'll never manage it irl. 

Declan Rice played in 61 matches for West Ham United and England between  7th August 22 and 19th June 23.  Poor Mr Baningime is a part-timer by way of comparison.