The FM 2023 and 2024 .. I guess.. 4-2-3-1 DM Thread

30 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Add a runner to your pivot and try putting one of your IW as an IF(s).

That will give you a bit more punching power and less dependency on the CF as a goal threat. An IF will give you a more direct goal scoring run than an IW who will provide more in buildup phases. Is your striker capable of playing as an CF(a)? They are quite rare and a poor one can suck the oxygen out of your frontline.

W/the strength of your squad, if you just do morale management and proper rotation you should do fine. 

Thanks, appreciate that advice. Do you suggest I do that as a regular thing or when I'm in games and not getting luck?

Tbh, I think my best ST is capable of doing a decent job as a CF(a) (scored 22 goals last season) but all round my STs are really AFs.

Would something like this maybe be more effective?

image.png.2adc673ce2da3edc600a54bfae50cf85.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Manunited_fan said:

Thanks, appreciate that advice. Do you suggest I do that as a regular thing or when I'm in games and not getting luck?

Tbh, I think my best ST is capable of doing a decent job as a CF(a) (scored 22 goals last season) but all round my STs are really AFs.

Would something like this maybe be more effective?

image.png.2adc673ce2da3edc600a54bfae50cf85.png

I would use it regularly, but being flexible for your opposition is important. That can also be important when deciding the wingback roles/duties in breaking down an opposition block (where you will target a weak defensive point).

Are you crossing low because the 9 is short? This is also a big issue against sides sitting deep. On an AF, I would prefer a Poacher as a spearheading forward when breaking down the opposition (won’t run channels, less forced turnovers). However, short solo poachers are generally bad imo.

The CF will combo nicely holding up the ball/playing in the inside runners if the player is capable of it, but usually I find it difficult to find a physical + technical profile w/ the mentals to pull it off. Isak is a prime example IRL, but he is a very unique player. 

Edited by Cloud9

The other nice part of running a 4-2-3-1 is that you can put a AP squad player in the 10 role to help break down blocks.

Hit crosses early can be a nice tool to catch opposition out before they close ranks and work the ball into the box can help you prevent wasted possession. 

If you’re controlling the match, you can always ramp up/reduce the tempo in sections of the half. I tend to adjust the width to go along with it (more narrow for a frantic press, wide for patient). Just going for it when they’re tired is never bad!

Edited by Cloud9

21 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

I would use it regularly, but being flexible for your opposition is important. That can also be important when deciding the wingback roles/duties in breaking down an opposition block (where you will target a weak defensive point).

Are you crossing low because the 9 is short? This is also a big issue against sides sitting deep. On an AF, I would prefer a Poacher as a spearheading forward when breaking down the opposition (won’t run channels, less forced turnovers). However, short solo poachers are generally bad imo.

The CF will combo nicely holding up the ball/playing in the inside runners if the player is capable of it, but usually I find it difficult to find a physical + technical profile w/ the mentals to pull it off. Isak is a prime example IRL, but he is a very unique player. 

These are my three STs, as I say they are really just AFs. All three are the same height at 6'0. Not sure if low crosses are needed or if mixed is better.

Tresoldi

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.06fa28bc23aac3ec4bb9ee3794efadcb.png

Stepanov

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7ba534696703700e1bfb2e0759225b31.png

Bougrine

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.521380448c4c861495b7c9525d304afe.png

Edited by Manunited_fan

25 minutes ago, Manunited_fan said:

These are my three STs, as I say they are really just AFs. All three are the same height at 6'0. Not sure if low crosses are needed or if mixed is better.

Tresoldi

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.06fa28bc23aac3ec4bb9ee3794efadcb.png

Stepanov

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.7ba534696703700e1bfb2e0759225b31.png

Bougrine

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.521380448c4c861495b7c9525d304afe.png

Tresoldi is by far your best option here, he is an excellent poaching profile when the opposition sit deep but I wouldn’t play him as a CF. 

I would keep the crossing varied so he can take advantage of his physical profile in the box. Especially so with two traditional wingbacks. On height it is the jumping reach to keep an eye out for.

Edited by Cloud9

12 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Tresoldi is by far your best option here, he is an excellent poaching profile when the opposition sit deep but I wouldn’t play him as a CF. 

I would keep the crossing varied so he can take advantage of his physical profile in the box. Especially so with two traditional wingbacks. On height it is the jumping reach to keep an eye out for.

Yeah, he's definitely my best and got 22 goals last season, and finished 1 off topscorer in the league despite being injured between mid-March to start of May. The other two are younger so I'm hoping might develop a bit. Would you try a different role when playing other types of opposition? I ask as you mention using Poacher for teams who sit deep (appreciate that might just be because that's the issue I was dealing with).

26 minutes ago, Manunited_fan said:

Yeah, he's definitely my best and got 22 goals last season, and finished 1 off topscorer in the league despite being injured between mid-March to start of May. The other two are younger so I'm hoping might develop a bit. Would you try a different role when playing other types of opposition? I ask as you mention using Poacher for teams who sit deep (appreciate that might just be because that's the issue I was dealing with).

If there's more space in behind then AF can work on Tresoldi. You will just see more through balls attempted in this manner via running the channels, so I would watch how the team is playing and decide from there. The choice is then largely situational/stylistic in what you're looking for, the poacher will attack that space as well!

Edited by Cloud9

47 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

If there's more space in behind then AF can work on Tresoldi. You will just see more through balls attempted in this manner via running the channels, so I would watch how the team is playing and decide from there. The choice is then largely situational/stylistic in what you're looking for, the poacher will attack that space as well!

Okay great, thanks for all the advice. Will give it a go and see how I get on. Tresoldi is injured at the moment so hopefully the other two can step up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been using this base lately with Leeds and have seen some beautiful plays while still being balanced. Sometimes i change the if to w (a) and left fb to Ifb depending on how the game is going

Pf (A)
If (s) - Ap (s, Roam) - Iw (s)
Bmw (s) - Dm (s, Risky passes)
Fb (s) - Cb (D) - Bpd (d, Dribble more) - Fb (a)
Gk (s)