Wage Structure Excel

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a recent Wage Structure Excel I created for those that are interested.

image.thumb.png.c3685fe51925884c95e117e50b5ee31c.png

As you can see I've populated with Liverpool players and budget as an example. The yellow boxes is what I populate first (just copy what FM says for total wage budget allowed and then the youth categories I just copy what we are spending on those player types) and after that I input the players and their current wages which will then give me an overview of our wage structure at the club. Don't worry, I've locked boxes you can't edit so you shouldn't be able to "ruin" any of the formulas in the sheet.

All the values are based on that you have 4 Key/Important players, 7 regular starters and 10 squad players. I've left a few blanks here and there if you want to move players around at your own leisure but the Max Wage values are based on those numbers.

On the top right you'll see how much your Youth Budget is (10% of allowed wage budget) and what you're currently spending according to the values you put in.

On the far left you have your current spending for each player type category, which will flag red if you're overspending according to the calculations. Each category is given 30% (as you can see at the top where it says Max Wage Per Player Type)

After each player wage you'll get a recommended max wage per player in that type. Hence why Salah, Alisson and Henderson are flagging red as they are currently above that value. However the group as a whole is green so you might want to consider that element as well.

The grey categories after that are a bit extra for those that REALLY want to micromanage and have a play as you pay wage structure system. As you can see, there is a suggested max wage, max app fee and also a max bonus (clean sheet, goals, assists) suggestion for the player type in those categories. I just added as a bit of fun to see what that looks like and I usually just play the game using the Max Wage rather then pay as you play.

Hopefully you all find it useful :)  Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Wage Structure.xlsx

Edited by Justified

On 06/08/2023 at 14:29, Justified said:

Hi All,

I just wanted to share a recent Wage Structure Excel I created for those that are interested.

image.thumb.png.c3685fe51925884c95e117e50b5ee31c.png

As you can see I've populated with Liverpool players and budget as an example. The yellow boxes is what I populate first (just copy what FM says for total wage budget allowed and then the youth categories I just copy what we are spending on those player types) and after that I input the players and their current wages which will then give me an overview of our wage structure at the club. Don't worry, I've locked boxes you can't edit so you shouldn't be able to "ruin" any of the formulas in the sheet.

All the values are based on that you have 4 Key/Important players, 7 regular starters and 10 squad players. I've left a few blanks here and there if you want to move players around at your own leisure but the Max Wage values are based on those numbers.

On the top right you'll see how much your Youth Budget is (10% of allowed wage budget) and what you're currently spending according to the values you put in.

On the far left you have your current spending for each player type category, which will flag red if you're overspending according to the calculations. Each category is given 30% (as you can see at the top where it says Max Wage Per Player Type)

After each player wage you'll get a recommended max wage per player in that type. Hence why Salah, Alisson and Henderson are flagging red as they are currently above that value. However the group as a whole is green so you might want to consider that element as well.

The grey categories after that are a bit extra for those that REALLY want to micromanage and have a play as you pay wage structure system. As you can see, there is a suggested max wage, max app fee and also a max bonus (clean sheet, goals, assists) suggestion for the player type in those categories. I just added as a bit of fun to see what that looks like and I usually just play the game using the Max Wage rather then pay as you play.

Hopefully you all find it useful :)  Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Wage Structure.xlsx 11.45 kB · 1 download

Im struggling to work this out, i have a massive financial issue and this seems like it would help I put in my players and wages

wage.PNG

Looks like you're under your wage budget, which is always good @PandaIsland.

I don't know your team at all but a few things stand out to me. Firstly you have, according to the sheet, 13 players you consider regular starters. Might need some tweaking there in the post-season. Really identifying who are your key players and who are you regular starters and move from there. Is there any scope for any of them to move from one category to another? In the squad player bracket you have Rocha and Jordi who are on quite high wages for that particular group. Do you need them? Or is there any in the regular group that could step down as squad players and fit into the 159k budget?

Only you know your squad but I'd say if you have any squad players that are on 200k+ then I'd start making a plan of how are you going to address this? Move on and get some young squad players who can then start moving up as the grow their ability? I noticed you didn't update the youth sections so hard to say if you have scope to get some younger players in on prospect contracts.

Hopefully that all makes sense?

Let me give an example. So if I start up a new game with Aston Villa for example, this is what is set :

image.thumb.png.b2891b1b379896b06f95674a37cbafe5.png

Disclaimer - Moreno was set as a key player and Douglas Luiz was a regular starter however I've already "demoted" them to squad players as they wouldn't start in a 4231 which would suit with Coutinho operating behind Watkins.

So the good thing here is all 3 categories are green and also we're 113k under our youth budget which is positive so there is wiggle room for the season however moving forward there are a few things to be addressed here moving forward -

• Martinez - I'm not a huge fan of having Goalkeepers as Star Players and tbh Martinez is not far off the max wage for a regular starter so I would probably check and see if he would agree to step down. Most of the time goalkeepers do seem receptive to moving from Star to Regular Goalkeepers so I would suggest doing it as it would then mean any contract talks going forward they're not requesting Star Player wages.
  • Coutinho Conundrum - He's not getting younger and although technically gifted, he lacks mentality and pace. Here I would probably weigh towards looking to sell if anyone would take him and then reinvest in the team.
  • Digne Star? - In this team, is Digne a key player? I'd argue yes as he is a good Left Back for this league and he also has a good free kick so he does offer a bit in this Villa team so there is a case to push up to Key and if Martinez is moving down anyways then that's a bit a of swap.
  • Carlos injured - As you can see there are 8 regular starters in there but Carlos is out for pretty much the whole season so for now this stays but in the summer we'll have to make a decision on what to do with the centrebacks. As neither Konsa or Mings earn too much over the 64k mark for a squad player one could easily go down one box.
  • Dendoncker - Is he worth those wages within this structure? Hell no. He'd definitely be on my list to go as I could easily find someone equally as good for less wages.
  • Forever Young - This is an interesting one. Is Young going to be a starter? No he's on the decline. However there will come times where you have senior pros who are great mentors for youngsters and they earn more because they used to be a key player for you. This is ok as long as overall you are under your budget because the gains from having such a pro mentoring and shaping your youngsters is invaluable and I will always stretch it a bit to fit this in. Obviously if you can get them to have lower wages then the better. And tbh in this example it's not like we're breaking the bank to have a player like Young in the team. He could easily mentor Ramsey and Duran in this team with his Professional personality and once the season is over he will ride off into the sunset (unless you decide it's worth to keep around for another year).

Hopefully that gives a bit of insight about how I think in regards to wage structures. The key thing is being green for the three player types (4 including youth budget) and if one of those is red then you know you have to do some changes. In an ideal world you would want green across the board but you can always make exceptions if you feel it's the right thing to do (and you have the budget).

Edited by Justified

14 hours ago, Justified said:

Looks like you're under your wage budget, which is always good @PandaIsland.

I don't know your team at all but a few things stand out to me. Firstly you have, according to the sheet, 13 players you consider regular starters. Might need some tweaking there in the post-season. Really identifying who are your key players and who are you regular starters and move from there. Is there any scope for any of them to move from one category to another? In the squad player bracket you have Rocha and Jordi who are on quite high wages for that particular group. Do you need them? Or is there any in the regular group that could step down as squad players and fit into the 159k budget?

Only you know your squad but I'd say if you have any squad players that are on 200k+ then I'd start making a plan of how are you going to address this? Move on and get some young squad players who can then start moving up as the grow their ability? I noticed you didn't update the youth sections so hard to say if you have scope to get some younger players in on prospect contracts.

Hopefully that all makes sense?

On the new season my wage budget is 5.7m pw and im spending 5.3 but im currently in hundreds of millions of debt after winning 12 league titles and 30+ cups. The agreed playing time I have 4 star players, 1 important 2 reg, 8 impact sub, and 3 squad, the problem is example fayet is down as impact sub but in reality he plays every single game possible and is world class so i tried to base it on games played rather than contract play time

far as jordi and rocha

Jordi is actually played 20 odd starting games last season i just didnt want to mess the excel up adding more players to a category BUT with rocha last season he only started 8 games reality is he is an 23 year old with trait "good player for most prem sides" certainly overpaid but got him from inter for 52m his pot did drop but he is my 2nd choice fullback on each side now

Far as youth prospects playing rles in the first team only two, onur tan 19 year old fullback on 54k and academy guy rundstrom who I forcefully played him every match that i cou ld as i needed better home grown, hes on 140k. Looking at the dev centre in the pot first team players list there is just one guy on 17kpw

Edited by PandaIsland

I think a next step for me is to update the playing time agreed, even if it means upgrading some player up by two playing time tiers so its easier to work out and follow like i said before i have world class players on agreed low play time but play almost all the time and they are happy with that but if i dropped them down to the agreed they would ask for that to be increased

Like I mentioned earlier, you know your team better then me. If Fayet is playing every match, and performing well, he might inevitably ask for a higher status in future anyways. Nothing wrong with players being in lower Playing Time groups as long as you're aware if they perform well and playing regularly they'll see no reason not to ask for a new contract. 

With Rocha it does sound like you need a plan in place there. Is he good enough for a first team spot? If not, 300k for a rotation fullback is steep, If anyone comes in for him I would consider bids and look into getting someone who is more suited to a rotation role on the appropriate wage.

If you're heavily in debt you could always tweak the structure. Lower the wage budget on the spreadsheet to 4.5m and see where you land. That way you're way under and not crippling the club.

The youth group wages you can get from the finances screen on the wage tab. If you scroll down you'll see what you're spending per player type.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

May be a silly question but am i right in thinking you imput your 'Total wage buget' when they come through at the start of the season and then leave it until the following season?

The reason i ask is, Start of the new season i imput said total wage buget, All my player wages etc, then a couple weeks later after a few new signings i noticed my 'Total Wage Budget' in my finances had changed so updated it in the spreedsheet which pushed alot of players wages above the new values set for them.

Also if you have 'Breakthrough prospects' in your first team that you use, do you bother putting them on the sheet as its already calculated or does that only effect the youth teams?

Many thanks

On 14/05/2024 at 03:10, Sinbad7104 said:

May be a silly question but am i right in thinking you imput your 'Total wage buget' when they come through at the start of the season and then leave it until the following season?

The reason i ask is, Start of the new season i imput said total wage buget, All my player wages etc, then a couple weeks later after a few new signings i noticed my 'Total Wage Budget' in my finances had changed so updated it in the spreedsheet which pushed alot of players wages above the new values set for them.

Also if you have 'Breakthrough prospects' in your first team that you use, do you bother putting them on the sheet as its already calculated or does that only effect the youth teams?

Many thanks

Total wage budget is the budget the board give you. This doesn't change unless you allocate transfer funds or the board change the expectations and give you more wages. I think you might be mistaking it for Wage Spending?

No, Breakthrough prospects come under the youth budget so I don't put them on the sheet. You can if you want for planning reasons but I don't see a need to :)