Season 2023/24 Tactical Replication Thread

I have been interested in Emery's tactical developments, inspired by De Zerbi's ideas of attracting the press. I like their focus on attacking the half-spaces rather than the middle once they have attracted pressure. The 3-4-3 is based more on Diaby's role as a SS and the introduction of the back 3 with Pau Torres being the progressive/ball-playing CB and Konsa being the aggressive, defensive wide CB. The 4-2-4 is more the system they had at the end of last year.

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 12.37.18.png

Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 12.43.04.png

Still unbeaten after 8 games in EPL

7 wins and 1 draw (beat Tottenham and United away 0-1) and draw home against Aston Villa

17 goals scored and only 1 conceded so far

I had to move Chilly back to WB position as a CWB-A in some games, other than that it just keeps going and going :thup:

This tactic is crazy, works like charm for me :brock:

Only thing now to make it perfect is set-pieces routines

Screenshot 2023-08-31 195606.png

Edited by poma
New save, new updated database!

I've been really intrigued by West Ham this season and how they've been playing. This is just a general attempt at how they've been playing lately. 

image.png.285c3b6abc67844bdeb7129c55266f6b.png

Let me know what you guys think about it. The interesting thing is that in possession, they play like a 433 with the CAM coming beside the BBM and the DLP dropping down to defense. They also defend in a 4141 and I'm not sure how to do that with a 4231 formation. 

48 minutes ago, Lordluap said:

Somthing like this for Tottenham?

Ange.PNG

As a Spurs fan, I think you have the fullback roles pretty spot on. I'd probably put take more risks on the right back, because Porro likes to play killer balls (see our 5th goal today). As for the of the tactic, I think I'd put the LCB as a BPD, as Van de Ven likes to dribble forward every now and then, I'd also put the RCB as a BPD-St, because Romero is a psychopath. In the midfield, I would move Bissouma down to the DM strata and make him a DM-S, w/ tackle harder and dribble more often selected. I agree with the RCM being a BBM, I'd maybe put stay wider as a PI because Sarr likes to come wide to help with our build-up on that side. For the LCM, I would make it an AP-A, because Maddison will look to get on the ball and then progress with a dribble or pass. Also put close down more on the AP-a. Finally, I think the winger roles are good, both with stay wider on them, but for the striker, I would make it a PF-S/A.

Edited by GCVS00

Not really seen Real and not in front of FM at the moment, but as a starter how about:

Strikers:                 DLF/S --- CF/S               ..............with Stay Wider PI on DLF/S.

Midfield: IW/A --- CM/D --- CM/A --- IW/S ...........with Sit Narrower PI on both IW.

Defence: WB/S --- CD/D --- CD/D --- WB/S

Play Positive, Slightly Narrow, More Expressive and Work Ball Into Box...?

Not sure on the rest but above would give a decent starting point IMO.

Edited by Lordluap

I do saves where i take over teams and just replicate tactics based off IRL systems. Here are a few that i have done.

#1- Chelsea FC

If anyone wants to replicate the depressing tactics of Chelsea(the problem is the curse placed upon this club in the final third)

Screenshot2023-09-19at00_39_09.thumb.png.38e77df7bdc9ea95359a2469407c625f.png

#2- Arsenal

Screenshot2023-09-19at00_45_41.thumb.png.11c73a616e901bdf239d2b0d14c0bb98.png

#3- Aston Villa

Screenshot2023-09-19at00_46_53.thumb.png.b90396b3f1a68dc96cb2b8a6dd7156f9.png

#4- Brighton

Dribble more and take fewer risks on CB's. I use W(s) on both wingers sometimes.

Screenshot2023-09-19at00_48_44.thumb.png.1bca74d06012216b026c9cb0d0f996d7.png

#5- Manchester City

You can swap Rodri and Kova. Doku has PI of W(a). Stones is an IWB(s) to replicate when he plays as a DM

Screenshot2023-09-19at00_51_35.thumb.png.360d6bece3fdf6ac28177e766bf627ce.png

What do you think of this season's Liverpool? I'd go with:

IW(A) - PF(A) - IW(A)
    MEZ(S)         Szoboszlai role?

DM(S)/DLP(S) 

FB(S) - BPD - BPD - IWB(S)
                 SK(S)
I have no idea what is Szobo's role, he's just everywhere lol

Edited by arthurbf10

On 15/08/2023 at 18:46, Johnny Ace said:

Given Birmingham City a go with the new signings. We're poor at keeping possession so the shorter passing with the Positive mentality had to go, might have to drop down to Balanced for the default passing and depending on how many shots per game there are.

The double pivot of Bielik and Sunjic, would be DMs, Sunjic is the slightly more adventurous of the two, Laird is the more attacking Wingback. Both wide forwards invert and I don't think either are Inside forwards. Could be an AP at AMC and Hogan hasn't been much good upfront so far, he was beats the offside trap Trait, he's more mobile than a Poacher and can put in a shift so a PF(A) tied it up nicely 

Blues2324.png.06fa842619b0c0ddb52dda03266c79f1.png

It's always good to see Blues being mentioned and looked at. I think we will be one of the more interesting teams this year in the Championship.

After recent games (Stansfield as no.9 and Miyoshi as no.10) do you think a PF(a) and AP(s) would be a more realistic combination? I also think Burke on the right wing is a more orthodox winger as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, So I've been recently following SC Freiburg recently and Streich has been playing some beautiful football. Freiburg tend to use a 3-4-2-1 shape as base for all of their formations and so I could analyze their formations to be these two systems:

1. 4-2-3-1: They do use this against teams that play with a back four and its been solid for them.
  2. 3-4-2-1: Preferred against back 3 systems.

I may be wrong but would love someone else try to replicate Streich and his philosophy.

Sterich 4-2-3-1.jpg

Streich 3-4-2-1.jpg

On 17/08/2023 at 16:27, paracoolo said:

image.png

just so you know this is the passing map.. if they are mezzalas, liverpool is playing very narrow. And no , trent is not IWB-A, Iwb-a goes too much forward for him. Trent is deep so he's a support duty. I'd play him FB-SU with: Sits narrower,take more risks, cross more often, cross from deep, cross aim far post, dribble less, run wide with the ball ( or wb-su with the same instructions.

Anyway here's my replication( I may be wrong tho):

I think using passmaps is great. They are useful to display effective combinations, pass build up areas. Heat maps can be useful too, which tell us where a players spends most of his time, defending and attacking.  A pass map is only a passmap.
If you look at his heatmaps you will see an almost equal emphasis in the middle and on the flanks, which shows where he spent most of his time. When playing as an IWB a player is in the middle for buildup and on the flanks when defending, which would give them an almost equal amount of "heat". If you were to play him as a FB, it would be lopsided on the flanks and will almost never heat up in the middle unless you PI the living daylights out of the player.

The you have where he played most of his passes from,

TAA2.png.e178f2dcef36ba4479ac9a9912e81fba.png\

Thats where he played most of his passes from. Note the central areas of the pitch. A fullback might do that in some kind of transitional phase, but to have that many passes done from that area would require a prolonged presence, and the role that does that is the IWB

• 2 months later...

Based on Dusseldorf - only watched 1 match but this is basically my interpretation on how they played:

Screenshot2023-12-31030000.png.2e2c858246c38e1b758b648b4027828e.png 

DM and BWM seem to swap - so one sits and one supports 

AMR on the right sits inside when they have the ball and moves to the right when he picks up possession. Left him as a winger as when they don't have the ball he positions himself on the right wing.

Screenshot2023-12-31030158.png.de529c484bf2afea26db3ed619f1756c.png