[Suggestion] Start as Manager/Club Owner

Enzu225

It would be an interesting feature if the Manager could start their save as both manager and club owner. By that I mean the manager when added will have complete control over the clubs finances such as transfer budget, wage budget and can build stadium, improve training facilities and will start the save as unsackable. If the manager is also the club owner, then there is no need for a chairman. In lower leagues such a role exists, sometime the owner creates the team and also manages it.

This feature when added would give the manager more control over their club.

Edited by Enzu225

15 hours ago, Enzu225 said:

It would be an interesting feature if the Manager could start their save as both manager and club owner. By that I mean the manager when added will have complete control over the clubs finances such as transfer budget, wage budget and can build stadium, improve training facilities and will start the save as unsackable. If the manager is also the club owner, then there is no need for a chairman. In lower leagues such a role exists, sometime the owner creates the team and also manages it.

This feature when added would give the manager more control over their club.

it would be a completely different game then and no longer a "Manager"  

2 hours ago, snowofman said:

it would be a completely different game then and no longer a "Manager"  

It would still be Manager, only with more features. The manager feature will not be removed. You can also choose if you wish to start as normal manager or as club owner (not chairman).

Edited by Enzu225

20 minutes ago, Enzu225 said:

It would still be Manager, only with more features. The manager feature will not be removed. You can also choose if you wish to start as normal manager or as club owner (not chairman).

It's still outside of what a Manager would do in real life.

and starting to give the manager more stuff to do outside his normal range of work is to set a landslide in motion - as suddenly he "should" be able to set prices on burgers etc - and it's would turn into a theme park game.

i'm not saying that i'm not seeing your idea, i'm just saying that it would move Football Manager in a wrong direction and away from what it's truely about

This is ofc my opinion. :) 

1 minute ago, snowofman said:

It's still outside of what a Manager would do in real life.

and starting to give the manager more stuff to do outside his normal range of work is to set a landslide in motion - as suddenly he "should" be able to set prices on burgers etc - and it's would turn into a theme park game.

i'm not saying that i'm not seeing your idea, i'm just saying that it would move Football Manager in a wrong direction and away from what it's truely about

This is ofc my opinion. :) 

OK. The only reason I suggested it in the fist place is that some Chairmen will never accept any manager requests, even if the club has money.

3 minutes ago, Enzu225 said:

OK. The only reason I suggested it in the fist place is that some Chairmen will never accept any manager requests, even if the club has money.

That i can completely agree on.

I do however believe it's down to a few things. Like how long have you been at the club. how well have you done while being there.

and how determent you manager attribute is - If it's 1 out of 20, it's very unlickly that they will give in, while if it's 20 you have a better chance.

I hope it makes sense and your feature request is always very welcome, i'm just giving my opinion on why i believe it can't be done :)

Have a nice weekend

/Snow

I play this way using a game editor such as In game editor.

I normally try to earn my manager reputation first by playing for big clubs, and after building a trophy cabinet and a high reputation, I collect my earnings and "buy" a club I could afford from having saved my 10m/yr Liverpool salary.

Then I might start in the 4th division as the manager of a tiny club. I achieve this by using the editor to remove the current manager (set their contract end date to today), and then I apply for the job in-game, which I get easily because of the reputation. From there, I am the "owner" through In game editor, which I use to circumvent a lot of the roadblocking from the board. I normally need the editor to override the budget decisions by the board, and to increase investment in facilities and allow more staff. Typically the problem is that the board is far more conservative than I intend to be, and they might block club investment even if I'm piling up hundreds of millions in excess cash.

Generally, this approach works really well. I seldom struggle to get the board to approve say a stadium expansion. I want to do it from the in-game interface because I want the game to determine the expansion cost and timeline, and close one of the stands during construction and so on. So I might have to save-scum when asking for an expansion so it happens in-game, but it's usually not a problem if I'm already a manager with high reputation, and I've done my part to generate a couple hundred million of excess cash sitting in the bank, and I'm winning a lot and rated "untouchable". Then the board generally does whatever I ask and I only need to use In game editor lightly to make minor corrections.

--

I believe the game designers don't want to add any "owner" component to FM. But I think this could be made easier if there was a way to toggle a setting that allows "full control manager style", which enables a few more toggles and sliders in the budget screen, and makes the board more amenable to requests. The game wouldn't have to change much or even use the expression "owner", we just need a version of the game that makes the board try more earnestly to comply with requests instead of constantly seeing itself as a roadblock to the manager.

Honestly, when I "own" the club through In game editor, all I really end up doing is setting my own transfer and salary budgets (to increase them because we have tons of money), and increase the staff slots. And of the "hard" changes that I make to the game, probably the most aggressive thing I do is force a faster pace to training facility upgrades. Because the board seems hellbent on spending 3 million per year and stretch these upgrades out a decade, but I want to spend the 30 million now and have all my facilities revamped, and I simply can't stomach the board sabotaging our growth with their bad choices.

So, if in-game the board knew to be more amenable to me, all of this could be done in-game if I had sliders for budgets and staff slots, or at least the option to keep asking to increase budgets and slots since we have the money. And an option to tell the board to stop sabotaging our growth and instead invest a decent amount in facility expansions. Then I would barely need the In game editor edits.

Someone edited my last comment and changed some of my words. There are no mentions of my content being edited by the mods nor an explanation for the edits.

Absolutely horrific way to run a forum. I imagine the same jackasses will now delete this comment too.

2 hours ago, tacticsdude said:

Someone edited my last comment and changed some of my words. There are no mentions of my content being edited by the mods nor an explanation for the edits.

Absolutely horrific way to run a forum. I imagine the same jackasses will now delete this comment too.

You're post was edited as the editor mentioned is a 3rd party software and cannot be discussed on the forum.

I should have mentioned this in my PM to you last night, but i must have forgot. But please moderate your language in the future

It should be clear that tampering with people's comments is entirely out of line. If a comment violates regulation, there has to be a better protocol than quietly editing that person's comment without permission.

There's something seriously wrong with the culture of this sub if mods think they have the right to alter people's content directly. It's beyond embarrassing and crossing into legally actionable abuse.

I remember now why I stopped participating in this sub years ago. I will go back to discussing FM elsewhere on the internet where the mediocre SI power trip has no grip.