Which file to use for continental competitions?

owncredible

Hi.

I'm wanting to set up continental competitions for my pro/rel database. Though, I'm having trouble on knowing where to start. For instance, I'm not sure what file to create them on. Could I use a completely new file to create them, or do I need to use my file with all of my database changes in it? That may be a dumb question, but I'm really not sure.

Also, if anyone has any tips on creating continental competitions or knows of a decent guide, let me know. Thanks in advance!

I think technically you can do them in the same file, I'd highly recommend doing them in a separate file though. For starters, when verifying the file it only checks things it's supposed to check, so if it's a nation rules database it will only check the leagues/cups for that nation, meaning errors in the continental rules can easily be missed.

Will your database changes affect the continental competitions in any way? If not then you can do them in separate new file and it will still work together. If they do, then you could save a new version of your main file (make sure to Save as so you're not overwriting it), remove the nation rules, save and re-load the file, then add continental rules instead. You'll still have all the database changes there though.

As for the rest, if you're trying to set them up the "proper" way, I find them to be incredibly finnicky and difficult to get working so... good luck! TBH I've not tried that much, the negatives of custom continental competitions put me off really trying to get them working, some people have made them before though so it's certainly possible.

Doing them separate from the standard qualification systems is pretty straight forward though. Just like setting up a domestic cup competition except with teams from multiple nations.