Steam: Will this cause me problems??

Just to set the picture, I need to know if this will cause me problems later on.

When I set the game up I registered the game using Steam. However, this was slow and caused me loads of problems Therefore, I decided to take steam off the computer completely and re-installed the game. I was not asked to re-register at all. Now, when i open the game from the desktop, I get an error messgae telling me that the game could not be found through Steam, but it opens anyway.

So, will this cause me problems in the future? and do I now need to patch the game? The save that I started while registered with Steam is still showing as a save.

Any direction would be great, many thanks.

Presumably, you should have remove the settings and saves when removing Steam and FM the first time around (personally, I would have tried to sort out the Steam problems rather than uninstalling it.) It's more than likely a registry setting that thinks you've got FM installed via steam. Check in the Sports Interactive registry key for a key/value pair that says something like "Steam = 1" (I know it's there, because I was fiddling around with the registry when I couldn't get activation to work in Linux/Wine, but I can't remember where it is exactly). Change that to 0 and you should be sorted.

Thanks for the help, I'm not sure how to find the registry key? where is this located??

It's quite a technical thing to do, so maybe someone should give you a better guide. Maybe I should make you promise to only edit anything if it specifically says Steam = 1 :D

You can edit your registry by choosing 'run' from your start menu, and then typing 'regedit'. You'll see a little program show up that has a tree-like structure on the left. It's in there somewhere, in the 'software' section id imagine.

Found it! Under Steam_Install, changed the value to 0 and loaded the game but had the same issue. I'll have to do some answer hunting, but thanks for the help!!

Oh well, I guess we've eliminated a cul-de-sac anyway.

Are you using a desktop/menu shortcut, or double clicking on the fm.exe file? Maybe there's something in the shortcuts that are wrong since before the reinstall;

Archived