New kits every season

BeeInExile

With the Unity engine, might it be possible to add in a yearly choice of new kits for your team and the opponents in your division? Teams have primary, secondary, and tertiary colours for their kit on ORDB already. Why not have an option every season where the team gets to choose between the home existing kit and a new kit, which uses the same primary, secondary, and tertiary colours, but uses a different kit template to generate the actual kit? The player could be given the option to choose between the two of them in pre-season, with both options being mocked up in an Inbox message. Obviously some teams always have stripes for their home kit for example, so in those cases maybe the templates could be restricted.

As for away kits, the same could apply but with fewer restrictions. This seems to be a much easier case, as few teams have a canonical away kit colour. Maybe the away kit would be a random choice of colours and template, as long as it was not too similar to the home kit. Again, as the player every season you could choose between the generated one and the one that had been programmed into the game.

• 5 months later...

SI cites licence issues relating to this - I have no idea how imaginary kits in the future can be licenced but that is beside the point. I have long tried to create a fan tool to do exactly this (you would have to manually enter the data via the IGE), but it is extremely difficult to create a logic / easy UI for all the different possibilities that arise in this field. Please have a look at the home-away-third kits (incl socks) of the last 20 years for

ManU

Bayern

Inter

Monaco

Atletico Madrid

AS Monaco

Willem II Tilburg

Celtic

Venezia

Sampdoria

River Plate

for example and explain how you would set up inputs for these clubs in a program to create a new and realistic kit set, so that any of the kits they actually wore could feasibly be generated by it.

Not sure why I didn't get a notification of this reply, but...

I genuinely don't have an answer to how to make the home kit thing work - I'm no programmer - but I think there might at least be a method for the away kit:

-There are 50-odd different styles of Shirt. The game picks one at random, excluding the Home Kit style.

-As regards colours, the game records colours based on their RGBA values. So the game could look at the Home Kit colours, pick the highest value of RGBA, and ensure that in the away kit it is the lowest value of the four in the away kit, or even zero it. And then randomise the other three RGBA values. This would guarantee that the colours are substantially different, no?

-The game picks one of say 9 basic colours - the primary colours - for each of Shorts Foreground and Shorts Background, and the same for the Socks. Possibly it does something similar with the RGBA values to ensure that they aren't the same as the home kit, although that's less of a problem.

-The game picks one of the Shorts Styles and one of the Socks Styles at random. Again, arguably, could exclude the Home Kit value.

If you need a third kit, the game does the same as this again but excludes the Away Kit values as well.

I imagine you'd get some pretty funky strips doing this, and many of them might be aesthetically questionable, but it might at least provide some variety. With that said, I would imagine that the best thing would be to allow the player the option of choosing whether to accept the new Away Kit or stick to the original. You might also want a button to keep generating these kits until you got one you liked, which would be one way of dealing with the inevitable eyesores that would be created sometimes.

• 2 months later...