Optional key attributes and differences between FB and WB

Hi.

I have a question about instructions and key attributes for certain roles. (for FM2020)

For example:
Mezzala (Support), Attacking Midfielder (Attack), Wing Back (Support) and Advanced Forward have "Dribble" among their key attributes, however in the player instructions you can select "dribble less" for these roles.

It is similar with the "Crossing" attribute for Wing Back (Support) and Wide Midfielder (Attack)

How to understand? After all, is this a key attribute or not necessarily?

Another question is about differences between role. For example in a custom("clean") tactical style you can easily reproduce the WB(S) settings for FB(S). So what's the difference?

Default Wing Back (Support) PI:

default_wing_back_support.png.97c6b9592407bed4441d00afbff9d465.png

Reproduced WB(S) settings for FB(S):

modified_full_back_support.png.5dfbf1c32538dc4d2d946bdecbc69974.png

1 hour ago, Bondarev said:

Hi.

I have a question about instructions and key attributes for certain roles. (for FM2020)

For example:
Mezzala (Support), Attacking Midfielder (Attack), Wing Back (Support) and Advanced Forward have "Dribble" among their key attributes, however in the player instructions you can select "dribble less" for these roles.

It is similar with the "Crossing" attribute for Wing Back (Support) and Wide Midfielder (Attack)

How to understand? After all, is this a key attribute or not necessarily?

Another question is about differences between role. For example in a custom("clean") tactical style you can easily reproduce the WB(S) settings for FB(S). So what's the difference?

Default Wing Back (Support) PI:

default_wing_back_support.png.97c6b9592407bed4441d00afbff9d465.png

Reproduced WB(S) settings for FB(S):

modified_full_back_support.png.5dfbf1c32538dc4d2d946bdecbc69974.png

A simple approach to the difference between wingbacks and fullbacks are that fullbacks are defence first players.

Roles have hardcoded things going on under the hood, so even if you recreate a different one in the PIs, it will perform differently. 

Highlighted attributes are what the game recommends for the role, but the player will use ALL of his attributes in performing whatever role you give him. Highlighted attributes don't take into account your tactic itself, IE. in a compact defensive setup you may value high aggression/strength on your MEZ(s) (and not just the tackling that the game has blue highlighted). 

As you play more you can start to decide what attributes you want for a role :thup: 

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

A simple approach to the difference between wingbacks and fullbacks are that fullbacks are defence first players.

Roles have hardcoded things going on under the hood, so even if you recreate a different one in the PIs, it will perform differently. 

Sounds logical. But how does it manifest itself? 

So the WB(S) with "Dribble Less" will still attempt dribbles more often than the corresponding FB(S) with "Dribble Less"? Or will WB(S) take an more active part in build-up than FB(S), whose role will be more passive?

Highlighted attributes are what the game recommends for the role, but the player will use ALL of his attributes in performing whatever role you give him. Highlighted attributes don't take into account your tactic itself, IE. in a compact defensive setup you may value high aggression/strength on your MEZ(s) (and not just the tackling that the game has blue highlighted). 

As you play more you can start to decide what attributes you want for a role :thup: 

I see. But then shouldn't these attributes be downgraded from key to preferred, since they can be restricted in PI?

7 hours ago, Bondarev said:

Sounds logical. But how does it manifest itself? 

So the WB(S) with "Dribble Less" will still attempt dribbles more often than the corresponding FB(S) with "Dribble Less"? Or will WB(S) take an more active part in build-up than FB(S), whose role will be more passive?

I see. But then shouldn't these attributes be downgraded from key to preferred, since they can be restricted in PI?

You'd have to watch in match engine for exactly how the roles differ, but in general a WB(s) will sit wider and get forward move. A FB(s) will prioritize keeping in line with the back 4 more and staying with his man. The players predisposition (which you can see in the PIs), attributes, and traits will also have an impact. Fullbacks  tend to sit a little bit more narrow as they're starting position. 

The attributes are a guide for new players and are generally appropriate for most roles. They don't highlight pace on a center back at all (one of the most important attributes) so I would take them with a grain of salt. There's nothing stopping you from player unique style attribute players in a role, which can help you in building your own tactics :) 

In my own tactics, I really value the attribute aggression, which is rarely highlighted except on destroyer roles. It impacts the tendency of a player to influence an opposition player within the match engine, which I value highly for the compact defensive blocks I like to put together :thup: