My Favorite team to watch

Benfica under Jorge Jesus 2009 2011 was my favorite team to watch i have always wished to try and make my fm teams play like them, i think in fm23 i finally have all the correct player roles to give this a try, i would love some opinions though on how to set them up and what roles to assign the players, with Di Maria coming back its made me want to try this again. 

FUQBoN8XwAEFS-p.png

Screenshot (4).png

Edited by latrell

You inspired me to watch some videos and skimmed a couple of games to try and create something, but not sure where to go with what I saw. Benfica in the games I watched defended in a 442 with Aimar dropping back, so the 41212 wide makes sense because you can get that defending in a 442 with the right set-up. The issue I had with the Ramires role, to me, he was a Carrilero, did all the dirty work and didn't stop running. I couldn't get the WM to play how I wanted it to, so I ended with a narrow diamond which when attacking seemed nice and emulated some things I saw, but defensively didn't defend in the 442 I wanted. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the Saviola role, I can see why you went with the poacher because that's how he scored a lot of his goals but in the games I saw he also dropped deeper and had a great link up play with Aimar, so I was thinking a PF(S) but not sure if it'd get the attacking movement wanted.

This was only from a little bit of research, I couldn't remember how the team played, so take my take on how they played with a pinch of salt.

19 hours ago, Waseyx said:

You inspired me to watch some videos and skimmed a couple of games to try and create something, but not sure where to go with what I saw. Benfica in the games I watched defended in a 442 with Aimar dropping back, so the 41212 wide makes sense because you can get that defending in a 442 with the right set-up. The issue I had with the Ramires role, to me, he was a Carrilero, did all the dirty work and didn't stop running. I couldn't get the WM to play how I wanted it to, so I ended with a narrow diamond which when attacking seemed nice and emulated some things I saw, but defensively didn't defend in the 442 I wanted. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the Saviola role, I can see why you went with the poacher because that's how he scored a lot of his goals but in the games I saw he also dropped deeper and had a great link up play with Aimar, so I was thinking a PF(S) but not sure if it'd get the attacking movement wanted.

This was only from a little bit of research, I couldn't remember how the team played, so take my take on how they played with a pinch of salt.

Agree with a lot of what you said there i can not get the WM role to replicate how Ramires played also, i might try the narrow diamond with DI Maria as a Mezzala and Ramires as a carrilero, as for Saviola i am trying a few things out but no success as yet.  

I saw this video and from what I saw, here is my Benfica team (comments following):

Benfica10-11.png.91a5f10c14e3b5d0121014c41fcd9ff8.png

GK: Rooted to his post. That's all. Didn't try counter attacking balls.

DR: Close to the touchline, more of a wing back than a full back for sure, did angled passes so on a support duty imo.

DCR: Just hoof it, no plan for attack whatsoever.

DCL: Mose composed, tried mainly short simple passes so no bpd. Tried one direct pass and failed miserably.

DL: Very aggressive, took lots of efforts, roamed from position, so he seems like a cwb on attack, a rarity but there he is.

DM: For sure a HB, many times they form a three ATB with the defenders and change the passing angles in this video.

MCR: That was difficult. He seems to close down a lot and lose his position and not stay wide in attack, so not a carillero. Did no forward runs and played the occasional long ball, so a bwm-su imo. Extras: Run wide with ball instruction.

MCL: Did dirty work but also moved in the half spaces, drifted wide etc. A Mez on support.

AMC: An attacking midfielder who took efforts and was at times further than the forwards, so definitely on attack duty. Not a playmaker as the team wasn't actively looking for him.

FCR: Not sure where the difficulty is, a pure forward who links up the play and presses only selectively and not actively, so a dlf-a. Extras: Stay wider, roam from position (he mainly roamed after they were left with ten men though).

FCL: Looks to win flick-ons, doesn't take effort to beat his man (though with weaker teams he was IIRC), so a TF-su.

Edited by Poison

10 hours ago, Poison said:

I saw this video and from what I saw, here is my Benfica team (comments following):

DR: Close to the touchline, more of a wing back than a full back for sure, did angled passes so on a support duty imo.

DCL: Mose composed, tried mainly short simple passes so no bpd. Tried one direct pass and failed miserably.

DL: Very aggressive, took lots of efforts, roamed from position, so he seems like a cwb on attack, a rarity but there he is.

DM: For sure a HB, many times they form a three ATB with the defenders and change the passing angles in this video.

MCR: That was difficult. He seems to close down a lot and lose his position and not stay wide in attack, so not a carillero. Did no forward runs and played the occasional long ball, so a bwm-su imo. Extras: Run wide with ball instruction.

MCL: Did dirty work but also moved in the half spaces, drifted wide etc. A Mez on support.

AMC: An attacking midfielder who took efforts and was at times further than the forwards, so definitely on attack duty. Not a playmaker as the team wasn't actively looking for him.

FCR: Not sure where the difficulty is, a pure forward who links up the play and presses only selectively and not actively, so a dlf-a. Extras: Stay wider, roam from position (he mainly roamed after they were left with ten men though).

FCL: Looks to win flick-ons, doesn't take effort to beat his man (though with weaker teams he was IIRC), so a TF-su.

Very interesting in that game there were a lot of different players to the benfica  team i loved salvio was a very different player to Ramires no where near the same work rate and positioning on the field i think Di Maria had left by this stage and again Gaitan imo was no where near the same level and i remember franco jara he was not very good at all not even close to Cardozo, as for the roles i think your spot on with them apart from the bwm but i will try it out to see how the position behaves in the match engine with the run wide instruction,

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 16:28, Poison said:

What would the TI's be for this tactic?

On 26/09/2023 at 21:30, Lemon_Head said:

What would the TI's be for this tactic?

Most, if not all, of Gegenpress TI, close down much more, get stuck in, pass into space, higher line, much higher LOE, positive mentality, counter, prevent short GK distribution etc according to what I saw.

22 hours ago, Poison said:

Most, if not all, of Gegenpress TI, close down much more, get stuck in, pass into space, higher line, much higher LOE, positive mentality, counter, prevent short GK distribution etc according to what I saw.

If you want to gegenpress you might want to leave out "prevent short gk distribution." You want to win the ball back in their third and encouraging their gk to hoof it doesn't play into this. 

On 10/09/2023 at 16:00, Waseyx said:

I can see why you went with the poacher because that's how he scored a lot of his goals but in the games I saw he also dropped deeper and had a great link up play with Aimar, so I was thinking a PF(S) but not sure if it'd get the attacking movement wanted.

Maybe try poacher but train a player with comes deep to get ball, or better yet, maybe moves into channels so that occasionally will try to drop between the cb/FB on his side. 

17 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

If you want to gegenpress you might want to leave out "prevent short gk distribution." You want to win the ball back in their third and encouraging their gk to hoof it doesn't play into this. 

I agree, yet they weren't doing that and were blocking the short passes, we are trying to recreate what they were doing mostly I would think. :D

29 minutes ago, Poison said:

I agree, yet they weren't doing that and were blocking the short passes, we are trying to recreate what they were doing mostly I would think. :D

Makes sense :thup: I'm hoping the new version coming out November has a bit more nuance with the goalkeeper distribution vs a press.