'Make the most of set pieces'

Hi all,

I am about to take a new job and one of the board requirements is to 'make the most of set pieces'. How do I do this? In 5 seasons I think I have only scored one goal from a corner and a small handfull from free kicks, and have no idea how to 'make the most' of them at all, nor what this means in practice.

Do I play for more corners during the game? Micromanage the set piece creator thing?

It's something that I see talked about surprisingly rarley on the forums! Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2 ways of approaching this:

1) My preferred method - ignore it and focus on meeting / exceeding the league target.  It’s very unlikely you’ll get sacked if you don’t make the most of set pieces if you meet or exceed your league target.  On the other hand it’s very likely you’ll get sacked if you fail your league target even if you do make the most of set pieces.

2) If you really want to try to meet this set piece target you’ll not only need to micro manage set pieces but also bring in the right players who’ll be able to make the most of set pieces.  It’s fairly pointless setting up fancy free kicks for example if none of your players are any good at taking free kicks.  Btw it’s worth pointing out that we don’t know how it’s measured so trying to meet the target is an unknown quantity.

Personally I think the set piece creator is a complete waste of time.  I’ve never noticed any tangible difference between setting up my own set pieces and completely ignoring them.  Having a decent free kick / corner taker on the other hand can be worthwhile so on second thoughts there’s a 3rd option - ignore the target but have a decent free kick taker (and meet/exceed your league target).

I lost a job once because i didn't have the culture, but for some weird reason, my CB had been my top scorer with 11 goals on my previous team... so?

It's one of the few things i never get on FM.

Cheers,
Bitner 

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

2 ways of approaching this:

1) My preferred method - ignore it and focus on meeting / exceeding the league target.  It’s very unlikely you’ll get sacked if you don’t make the most of set pieces if you meet or exceed your league target.  On the other hand it’s very likely you’ll get sacked if you fail your league target even if you do make the most of set pieces.

2) If you really want to try to meet this set piece target you’ll not only need to micro manage set pieces but also bring in the right players who’ll be able to make the most of set pieces.  It’s fairly pointless setting up fancy free kicks for example if none of your players are any good at taking free kicks.  Btw it’s worth pointing out that we don’t know how it’s measured so trying to meet the target is an unknown quantity.

Personally I think the set piece creator is a complete waste of time.  I’ve never noticed any tangible difference between setting up my own set pieces and completely ignoring them.  Having a decent free kick / corner taker on the other hand can be worthwhile so on second thoughts there’s a 3rd option - ignore the target but have a decent free kick taker (and meet/exceed your league target).

Thanks - it's as a feared!

Now I've seen the state of the team, I am alomost certainly not going to meet the expectations (half way through the season and dead last with no money), so my only hope is that I can find a way to score off of set peices; every game my team has plenty of corners, so I might as well try and make the most of it. Guess I will spend the last tuppence on someone who can take corners.

Thanks for the help - this is a bit of the game I wish they would do something about, instead of giving me social media feeds!

14 hours ago, AndrikoDS said:

Thanks - it's as a feared!

Now I've seen the state of the team, I am alomost certainly not going to meet the expectations (half way through the season and dead last with no money), so my only hope is that I can find a way to score off of set peices; every game my team has plenty of corners, so I might as well try and make the most of it. Guess I will spend the last tuppence on someone who can take corners.

Thanks for the help - this is a bit of the game I wish they would do something about, instead of giving me social media feeds!

A better investment will be someone who can jump and head the ball and who has the strength and will to do so. Delivery is a niche attribute, whereas aerial prowess is useful very often in a match.