Realistic “tactic wise” online multiplayer career

Hello fellas, we want to make an online career with some friends but we have a big problem with the “realism” of the tactics. Some of them like to abuse the match tactics like we all know how and we want to make some rules and put some restrictions on it that will not rely only on our “honesty”. 

for example we all know 2 advanced forwards is OP or 2 segundos or 1st post corner routine and all these kind of stuff like stupit tactics that aren’t realistic irl that break the match engine and overachieving like hell, also geniescout users that find the wonderkids and whatever they like.

What could we do so the players in the save play the game with less overachieving? Is there anything we can do or we are doomed to fake overachieving guys? 😂

Interesting approach on it for sure.

What about abusing tactics?  

i thought something like using only preset tactics with only 3 or 4 or 5 I don’t know things only to change like roles, team or personal instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a multiplayer save with your friends.

you shouldn't be needing a set of rules in the first place.

i'd ask them to create a little description of their tactics, and explain it. You could even set up interviews.

they gotta create a tactic by scratch and know how it works and y'all have fun together. Seems Like a win-win.

if you still wanna apply rules, do not use assymetrical tactics and set at least one midfielder's duty on defend. 

or do something challenging, in every tactic you gotta use at least one-two exotic roles(enganche, Trequartista, Libero, ecc...)

I've played a bunch of multiplayer saves and we've never put any restrictions on tactics, I think if you banned 2-AF formations it would be sad when you find two good strikers and you're not allowed to use them together. It's also a little problematic when you're behind and need a goal - can you not bring on another striker to find a goal? I don't think I would put restrictions on tactics personally, I think there's better ways to limit yourselves.

As for set pieces - I think that's a little more reasonable. Nobody enjoys doing set pieces anyway, they take ages to set up and edit, so just agreeing to play with default set pieces speeds up the game and might reduce the human-controlled-team dominance a little bit.

The main thing we put a restriction on is transfer instalments. It's entirely possible to pay £0 up-front for a lot of transfers and kick the instalments several years down the line, so we ban that. On our multiplayer saves at least 50% of the transfer fee has to be paid up front, and instalments have to be paid in a reasonable amount of time (2 years max on our current save) - with no abusing anything like sell-on clauses to reduce transfer fees). It doesn't make a huge difference but it just means that squad rebuild might take an extra season or two to achieve when you can't stretch your budget out 3-4x further than intended.

We also have certain fair-play rules in place, for example not deliberately unsettling each others players, and not interfering with anybody's transfers by declaring interest/bidding unless you really mean it.

Other ideas we've had are things like custom squad registration rules - for example you could randomly assign each player a country, or set of countries, and your squad has to contain a few players from those countries. Maybe you're playing in Scotland, so your Europa league squad already has to contain home-grown Scottish players (which is already a problem when there's a few of you competing for the few good Scottish players that exist) but then you also have a custom rule in place that mean you have to have at least 1 player from each continent too - it can make squad building a little more challenging, rather than just sending a bunch of scouts down to find the best South American wonderkids every time.

I'd be interested to know if you come up with any other interesting restrictions.