FM 24 - Man Utd 3 at the back

Hi guys,

I will be looking to set a second formation when I start my save with United when the game releases. I always go with a 4231 or 433.

However, I'm looking to try something different and have a 3 man defence as my second formation.

Any advice on which 3 man defence I should go for as I'm confused how to line up the midfield. Based on United's current squad, which formation would suit them and which player roles/instructions should I go for?

5 hours ago, Vizzini said:

3-5-2 perhaps? Not sure United have good enough wingbacks for a system like that, but you can have Casemiro deep, Mount and Bruno in front and Høylund + Rashford up top, could make for a good counter-attacking system.

Any other formations you think would suit united with 2 strikers? 

On 08/10/2023 at 22:21, BillyM19 said:

4-1-2-1-2 Diamond. Cas/Amrabat as a halfback would create a 3-man defense in possession, wingbacks high and wide, Mount and McTominay/Amrabat as shuttlers, Bruno as the AMC. Would leave no room for Antony, Garnacho or Sancho, but the former two could be retrained as PF-A/AF-A and Sancho would make a great AMC with his vision, technique, first touch, passing and dribling.

On 08/10/2023 at 13:21, BillyM19 said:

Would recommend a 3-4-1-2 for this. You'll have your 3 at the back system and you can put Fernandes in the 10 still. 

Edited by Cloud9