FM 22 - Finding joy against with Celtic FC

The history of my FM career

Last year I created my last forum topic in this section, managing Villareal and creating my own tactic. After years of downloading or copying other people’s tactics, it was time for me to create my own. Spoiler alert, it didn't work.

Every save went in the same cycle that includes the following 5 steps:

1. Create tactic
  2. Still copying other people’s tactic/player roles/team instructions
  3. Starting on Key Highlights
  4. Losing matches
  5. Repeat from step 1

That continued to the point I stopped completely. But after coming across some video’s of Football Manager, it started itching again. After watching a video of Zealand in which he suggest starting as Rangers FC, Celtic FC or Dinamo Zagreb (clubs that are already dominating their respective competitions) I decided to try again.

Hopefully this helps people just like me, struggling to get a good tactic going and being frustrated all the time with playing Football Manager.

FM 22 – Starting as Celtic FC

I booted up steam and opened up Football Manager to start a new save as Celtic FC. As I mentioned previously, they are so far ahead of the other teams (expect Rangers FC to some degree) in their league, I didn’t have to feel the pressure of getting sacked and have a bad overall atmosphere around the players and the board.

Step 1 – Creating my own tactic

When creating my own tactics before (see step 1 of my devastating 5 step cycle) I overthink to much and started tweaking player roles to much only to suit my team. This time around I started a preset tactic that FM offers. Celtic being the dominate force and we are dominated in stamina, I chose the Gegenpressing preset tactic.

Preset433Gegenpress.png.67d5f05963248c5e30991a7ea08fbdb5.png

I have tweaked some team instructions and player roles, depending on what Celtic FC have to offer and how I want to cover most areas on the pitch. My main thought I had was to creating and offensive tactic, due to Celtic being the dominated force in the league.

Player roles

Player role changes

• ·         Sweeper Keeper (At) becomes Sweeper Keeper (Su)
    • I don’t need my keeper to dribble more with two more than capable defenders in front of him that are comfortable on the ball to either dribble or give a pass.
  • Wingback R (Su) becomes Fullback (Su)
    • I don’t want two backs that are aggressive. With the inside forward on one side instead of two, I want more support on the outside on the left side and a more stable approach on the right side (winger).
  • Deep lying playmaker (Su) becomes Ball winning midfielder (Su)
    • Due to Celtic FC being the dominated force, I wanted to have a playmaker further across the field and a more defensive minded, ball winner ahead of my defence. Giving us more security when being countered. 
  • Carrillo (Su) becomes Advanced playmaker (At)
    • We are the dominate side most of the games, so I want a playmaker in front of the pitch rather than on the back of the pitch. And with the Winger on support on the right side, they can link up nicely.
  • Inside forward (At) becomes Winger (Su)
    • Having Liel Abada as a first team started and a very high potential, I wanted him on the first team. Two Inside forwards on attack seemed to aggressive, and with Abada having Hugs Line and Comes inside from both wings he can make the pitch wider, stretching the opposition who likes to sit deep to make a move or wait for the fullback. Otherwise, he can also cut inside when needed being left- and right footed.
  • Pressing forward (At) becomes Advanced forward (At)
    • The pressing forward will look to score himself, while the advanced forward will also look to create chances for the inside forward, box-to-box midfielder, advanced playmaker and winger. This way I have a more systematic approach with multiple people able to create chances or score, rather than relying to much on the striker to score.

Team instruction changes

Removed:

• Extremely high tempo
  • Distribute to centerbacks
  • Counter Press
  • Prevent short GK distribution

Added:

• Higher Tempo

How do my tactic look after the changes?

CelticFC433.png.da27ed06c20ea1d78b51a9c4b42a336c.png

Step 2 – Getting results and winning games (so I don’t get frustrated..)

Competition

The Scottish League went far better than expected, only losing once to our rivals Rangers FC in the far end of the season. Remaining (almost) unbeaten and winning the League with no issue at all.

The only downside was that because we secured the league early in the latter stages of the competition, the ‘’champions’’ poule was shaky in terms of results. With 2 wins and 4 draws.

League.png.e4ebb008164c6c6aa676cc9097df494c.png

Scottish cups

We won the Scottish Premier Sports Cup and lost in the 4th round against Hearts for the Scottish Cup

Europe

The real test was playing in the Champions League qualifiers. Due to a lack of tactical familiarization and fitness, we lost the qualifiers for the Champions League and for the Europa League.. We did qualify for the Conference League.

Europa.png.097ccd3e82d4be15e76b9dedb9b80618.png

P.S. That game against SK Rapid Vienna still haunts me. In the 1-1 draw in the home leg, we had 3,94 xG against their 0,76 xG.. ouch!

Conference League

In the Conference League we did alright. Although topping our group, we fell 3-2 on aggregate against the winners Napoli FC.

conferenceleague.png.5ea063541847ab93ae5ed6659a960b71.png

Stand out players

We had a fantastic year as a team, but there were 3 players that really stood out. 

1. Kyôgo Furuhashi

Bagging in 37 goals in 52 matches, he was our star player. Although in the beginning of the season he had some competition from Giorgos Giakoumakis (25 goals in 38 matches), but he came out on top. This year he is on fire again with 20 goals in 18 matches.

2. David Turnbull

As our main box-to-box midfielders, he had a outstanding season. In 39 matches, he scored 12 times and assisted 10 times. 

3. Oscar Melendo

Our new advanced playmaker. The Spaniard scored 9 times and assisted 8 times in 42 matches. 

Step 3 - Next season and beyond

Squad

This season I noticed that our depth lacked quality and talent. Because I want to focus more on Europe and scouting for talents is not my main priority, I will use the summer transfer window to really strengthen our main XI and bench. This way I hope to be more competitive in Europa, while still having a strong XI in the competition.

Tactic

I will mainly focus on getting better players in the player roles I have currently in my tactic. Because this is my first tactic and even though I’m very happy with the results, I want to look if this tactic will work in Europe. After that I will look to bring in another tactic, that will work more towards a philosophy and evolving that year in and year out.

Tactical approach

I will be looking to update this thread as my tactic will evolve in the third season and focus more on how I want to play in the future and evolving my tactic. Also creating a second and third tactic to switch to and focusing more on adapting in game, rather than focusing on having the better players alone.

It’s save to say I’ve found joy again in playing Football Manager! Hopefully this was helpful.

Thank you for reading!

P.S. In our next season, we did win 3-0 at home to Real Madrid using this specific tactic. :applause:

Spoiler

realmadrid.png.7bb10a56dc6608a401919a60d7974141.png

Edited by Brian