FM24 Early Access Official Feedback Thread

There's a lot of wacky stuff going on in the match engine to be fair. I had a backheel volley hit the post from about 30 yards and we've all seen those silly backpasses. Also there being so many overhead kicks and things like that.

I hope they manage to balance the match engine better for the full release without having to revert it like last year.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

There's a lot of wacky stuff going on in the match engine to be fair. I had a backheel volley hit the post from about 30 yards and we've all seen those silly backpasses. Also there being so many overhead kicks and things like that.

I hope they manage to balance the match engine better for the full release without having to revert it like last year.

I think some of that is due to the graphics engine rather than the match engine directly. i.e. the instructions in the ME are fine, but don't translate well into the animations we see.

That's probably true, was a lazy post. Point still stands though, I'd imagine they would revert changes to the match engine if they can't get the graphics engine to display it properly.

The overabundance of goals feels like the mentalities of players crumbling too dramatically and then every shot turning into a rocket. The semi and final of the league cup in my current save have been some pretty extreme examples. 

nlcVDL2.png

sK37fCb.png

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I think some of that is due to the graphics engine rather than the match engine directly. i.e. the instructions in the ME are fine, but don't translate well into the animations we see.

The fear I have is when they update they go back to the repetitive stuff we’ve seen the last few years. Let’s have some fun. Football is fun. The PL creates far more original goals than FM. real life shouldn’t be more outrageous than a computer game! Ok, back heel volley from 30 yards is pushing it 😂 but we’ve had a few years of dry. The thought of another ME where 60% of goals are IF cutting in from near half way line and playing CF in over the defence makes me cringe.

if it’s going to be unrealistic make it fun and creative unrealistic. Not because it’s too dry! Please don’t update the fun away SI!!

13 часов назад, fc.cadoni сказал:

Go to Preferences. Search "Enable Data Collection":

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.caebcec8f0537cac8d6897500e0bfb12.png

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.44ad61d1baee03632500c6abb45eedd1.png

====

Might be wrong, but this is how they see the behavior from community. What tactic, what signing, sack, goals, etc. 

I suspect that all these questions at press conferences about VAR, or why exactly you are using the current tactics (aesthetics or results) - a social survey that SI conducts... well, for some reason 😂

It's probably less of a QA thing and more of a time thing. A majority of the jank you'll feel in your first few matches and interactions on the game.  It could be that they use the beta to test way ahead of the 'latest stable version' as a way of getting data for the next year of development.

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

That's my view on the goalkeeping,  I don't think keepers are terrible on this version based on the stats i see but I do think a lot of the animations are, keepers constantly going to ground too early making it look like they should've saved loads more than they do

If it is simply a conversion issue which it appears to be, I imagine this is easily solved without any knock ons to the rest of the ME.

The conversion % on average for a league probably needs to be in around the 9-11% region for us to be back on track. Rather than the 14-15 ranges we are seeing compared to around the 7-8 mark IRL . FM23 was around the 9-10 region.

Unless if course it's a combination such as high conversion rates and higher than usual xG in matches, in which case trying to rectify the xG issue would I imagine be a considerable potential ME change. I have not tested the xG stats to RL yet though and the expected xG does seem to the eye at least, fine. It's the actual vs expected which is the main underlying issue caused by the excessive conversion rate.

Edited by Domoboy23

Yearly question and this time i'm the one that is going to ask it :) any reason for not starting your real save today ? I'm a youth challenge only player so data is not that important. Any not save compatible things that could be worth to wait for monday release ?

Hello,

I am playing in Portugal and I cannot see more than average goals per game. In real life, the average is somewhere below 3 goals per game.( in some leagues more). In the game, in my league is around 3 goals. So, I realy do not see why the people are complaining. The ME is realy good, I do not want to be ruined after the full release.

15 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

Yearly question and this time i'm the one that is going to ask it :) any reason for not starting your real save today ? I'm a youth challenge only player so data is not that important. Any not save compatible things that could be worth to wait for monday release ?

Some bugs that have been patched out in the full release could persist in old saves. In that there's potential for annoyance and  even small annoyances become larger if you see them all the time. There's obviously potential for game breaking stuff and that's not something I'm happy to risk going into a longterm save. 

11 minutes ago, lightworker said:

"Lollujo manages to win the Premier League in the first season with Brighton; I haven't done it once in 4 years with Man Utd. I definitely wasn't born to play FM." :D

Lollujo wins PL with Brighton; Loki Doki gets sacked. And the latter is the more entertaining one to follow.

36 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

I guess the only reason is there are only 2 days to go. But I've got an FM23 lower league port-over going and have had no issues at all.

8 minutes ago, lightworker said:

"Lollujo manages to win the Premier League in the first season with Brighton; I haven't done it once in 4 years with Man Utd. I definitely wasn't born to play FM." :D

To be fair Brighton Start with a much better squad than United.

Also if it was a youtube save, I'd say just take that as entertainment and not actually what happened. I've seen a few of those over the years and there always seem to be off camera sections where they go on an out of the blue 7 game winning streak or something. :D

Did there used to be a mechanic in FM whereby you could get an idea of a player's ability quickly by asking a scout for a report on a player? That would give you an idea of their attributes quickly.

The reason I ask is that if you want to make a snap decision in FM now you often can't.

I have both my main goalkeepers out. One with a broken arm catching a ball and the other has a twisted ankle. I needed to make an emergency keeper loan but can't pay wages.

Something I tend to do is look at nearby clubs and so looked at Bristol City to see if they had a keeper on loan for free. They did but he had no attributes.

In the end I did something I never do and blind loaned him. Turned out he was okay, but there should be a way I can get an idea about whether a player is good enough without having had him scouted before. Surely there should be a way to get an immediate opinion, even if it is not entirely perfect.

11 minutes ago, anagain said:

Did there used to be a mechanic in FM whereby you could get an idea of a player's ability quickly by asking a scout for a report on a player? That would give you an idea of their attributes quickly.

The reason I ask is that if you want to make a snap decision in FM now you often can't.

I have both my main goalkeepers out. One with a broken arm catching a ball and the other has a twisted ankle. I needed to make an emergency keeper loan but can't pay wages.

Something I tend to do is look at nearby clubs and so looked at Bristol City to see if they had a keeper on loan for free. They did but he had no attributes.

In the end I did something I never do and blind loaned him. Turned out he was okay, but there should be a way I can get an idea about whether a player is good enough without having had him scouted before. Surely there should be a way to get an immediate opinion, even if it is not entirely perfect.

All that is totally realistic

6 minutes ago, azymin said:

Is anyone using targets for loaned out players? Any feedback? 

I've not yet personally but from what I've seen and read they seem to be a decent addition. Only really going to know when we test it across many seasons and a lot of players.

How do you even exploit a game like Football manager for views on Youtube? At a glance he doesn't seem to be click baiting negativity.  Haven't all of them, including lokidoki, been saying that it's not only the best FM ever but it's the best game ever too.

I give it 2 weeks after full release before the honeymoon period is over for them all. :D

Does anyone know how to turn off "steam rich presence", or whatever they call it in this game? That thing that displays who you're managing and what match you're playing in Steam chat.

Almost through my first season with Arsenal and I'm really enjoying the game so far. There are a few niggly issues that have persisted through many versions but on the whole I'm pleased.

The match engine is indeed a lot better than before. I'm simply seeing a lot more variation in play and I can now really see the small changes I make to tactics. The new defensive roles are obviously tailor made to an Arsenal team so it's really obvious that they work as planned. I am also seeing a hell of a lot of goals across the league but i'll caveat that by saying I didn't concede until matchday 11. 

I am yet to really use the set piece creator but it seems that my coach is making good use of it. Something i'll dive in to soon, a great addition.

I have certainly seen some dodgy AI transfers. Spurs buying a dude in January, transfer listing before the window was even closed and citing some need to sell because of a buy back clause. A bit odd. Yet to finish the season so we'll see how it goes further down the line.

Transfers on the whole seem a lot easier to work with. I still mainly sell the 'old' way through transfer room but it's handy to 'gauge the room' with an agent about potentially disruptive sales. Negotiations of terms on player contracts is certainly a tougher proposition this year, very little room to move. On that note- my youth intake newgens are, again, asking for ridiculous sums for wages. 

The UI visually is a lot better this year. I can't pinpoint exactly what has changed but I find it a lot easier to see and navigate. As I said at the start, there's a couple of persistent issues that I'm now convinced are deliberate so that may require a feature request post instead. It feels like some of the bloat from the inbox has lessened and there are a few added inbox items that I appreciate. I feel much more in touch with other news points in the league.

I am yet to have a goalkeeper injury but I've been scared into keeping one on the bench now. And another 2 in reserve. Injuries on the whole have really ramped up for me now in April which is realistic I guess. I am also yet to really have any negative dynamics issues with players as others have reported. Touch wood. I've been expecting them to kick off about my lack of cover at the back but nothing yet. To be honest, I've always been super careful with interactions on FM and this year is no different. The system has always been awful and it seemingly still is. 

So overall I'm really happy. Intrigued to see what gets changed at release. Obviously we may not know for certain. I gave up on 23 in record time which was sad. I don't see that happening here which is a win in my eyes. Cheers all.

3 hours ago, lightworker said:

Wasn't it more a case of winning the EPL with a generic almost totally new squad of FM24 well-known rated player recruits in the Jan and summer windows plus some remnants of Brighton? (2nd season, not first)

Not that total rebuilds aren't valid - just that you always seem to end up with very similar FMxx squads every time it's done (e.g. both Lollujo and WTS having Perri in goal and Tammy Abraham and Evan Ferguson as strikers)

Edited by rp1966

The ME is in a better state during the beta than any of the years I've played. The only issue is an excess of mistakes playing out from the back (from good passers under minimal pressure).

The main issues are AI transfers (staff and player) and maintaining squad happiness through conversations and their knock-on effects. 

If the AI is using the "squad planner" it needs to be tweaked as the rating per position it offers is incorrect depending on the depth in the position. 

Edited by whatsupdoc

5 hours ago, lightworker said:

Does it playing meta tactics and gamifying at every opportunity. Not hard to do when you play that way.

A lot has been made of AI Squad building etc, but I've found a concerning thing regarding their in-game management this year, and in particular, their reluctance to use subs when it would seem appropriate to do so. As an example, look at the image below. This is taken after 88 mins of a game. The opposition players are almost to a man, knackered, yet the AI Manager doesn't deem it necessary to bring anyone on. 

Of course, in true FM style, they've just all sprinted the length of the field to equalise and make it 2-2, but that's just the usual shady behaviour we've all come to know and love. 

image.png.abe25b7529495ab8c07e636c409c356f.png

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

A lot has been made of AI Squad building etc, but I've found a concerning thing regarding their in-game management this year, and in particular, their reluctance to use subs when it would seem appropriate to do so. As an example, look at the image below. This is taken after 88 mins of a game. The opposition players are almost to a man, knackered, yet the AI Manager doesn't deem it necessary to bring anyone on. 

Of course, in true FM style, they've just all sprinted the length of the field to equalise and make it 2-2, but that's just the usual shady behaviour we've all come to know and love. 

They said its a known issue.
We are hoping they had enough time to fix it for the release version

10 minutes ago, andu1 said:

They said its a known issue.
We are hoping they had enough time to fix it for the release version

About that, I'm still not seeing enough effect of players having such low condition.  They ought to be making mistakes, picking up easy injuries, moving slowly etc.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I reported it as a Bug when my team was up 3-0 at min 10 and 5-0 at the end.

The AI did jack s**t in regards of subs, tactics or whatever.

They agreed it's a known issue, which bodes very well for the "improved AI" headline feature.

1 minute ago, lukavski said:

Are there more surprises in the bigger Leagues and Cups in this version?

(I mean more underdogs stories).

Only if you're the one playing against the underdog.