Set Piece Help?

I apologise first if this is a silly question. I am still trying to get round the new set piece system and I am gradually getting there and am sure once I understand it, that it is an improvement. My question is :- my best corner taker is Left footed and I want him taking corners from both sides, I have ticked the box which allows this to happen. Now as a left footer I want him taking In-swingers from the right and out-swingers from the left, I saved 3 routines which I set up from the right, but I cannot find the option anywhere to set up left sided corners? I found the preview button for Left/Right but when I set it to left sided out-swing it also reverts the right sided corner from in-swing to out-swing? I hope this makes sense, but I can't seem to set up separate Left and Right corners for In-swing and out-swing with the same taker.

As I understand it, what you want will happen automatically. Corner taker will use his preferred foot, so - for a left-footer - corners will naturally be out-swinging from the left and in-swinging from the right.

If you wanted different types from different sides, the game will automatically choose your next-best designated corner-taker with the appropriate footedness.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, warlock said:

As I understand it, what you want will happen automatically. Corner taker will use his preferred foot, so - for a left-footer - corners will naturally be out-swinging from the left and in-swinging from the right.

If you wanted different types from different sides, the game will automatically choose your next-best designated corner-taker with the appropriate footedness.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the reply Warlock. Yes I thought that would happen, the only thing that restricts is, for example :- on FM23 (the old set piece page) you could set up 3 different corner routines for the right, near post, Far post and edge of area and for the left, short, edge of area and centre. I understand now that you can only set 3 routines which are used for both sides?

1 hour ago, shakey.bridge said:

I understand now that you can only set 3 routines which are used for both sides?

Possibly! I've not played with it enough yet. All I've done so far is one routine for near-post in-swingers, and a lesser-used far-post in-swinger for variety. After FM23, my opinion was that GKs were much better at coming to claim corners and crosses so far post and centre routines usually resulted in the GK grabbing them first. So near post for me (until something changes :)).

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, shakey.bridge said:

Thanks for the reply Warlock. Yes I thought that would happen, the only thing that restricts is, for example :- on FM23 (the old set piece page) you could set up 3 different corner routines for the right, near post, Far post and edge of area and for the left, short, edge of area and centre. I understand now that you can only set 3 routines which are used for both sides?

Yes this is correct, you create 3 routines which can be used for both sides.

Based on the discussions we had with PL set piece coaches, they said that it's very rare for a team to use more than 2 or 3 routines for a single match. So we didn't feel that limiting things to 3 was unrealistic, but we accept that in niche usecases it can be a bit less than before, if you were setting completely different setups for left and right sides.

It's an intentional design decision, hopefully you like the new system overall though and if you're ever stuck on any of it just let us know and we can help.

6 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Yes this is correct, you create 3 routines which can be used for both sides.

Based on the discussions we had with PL set piece coaches, they said that it's very rare for a team to use more than 2 or 3 routines for a single match. So we didn't feel that limiting things to 3 was unrealistic, but we accept that in niche usecases it can be a bit less than before, if you were setting completely different setups for left and right sides.

It's an intentional design decision, hopefully you like the new system overall though and if you're ever stuck on any of it just let us know and we can help.

Thanks for clarifying that Jack, I like the new system and am gradually getting the hang of it.