Football Manager 2024: Shouts

fc.cadoni

Hi there!

Here’s my strategy for Shouts during the game. Remember that shouts are applied before or after a highlight; this is by design from Sports Interactive. If you give a shout during the highlight and need to cancel it, pause the match, open the tactics tab, and hit “Cancel” in the bottom right corner.

In general, “Encourage” and “Praise” work best when players are being successful; if not, they may become frustrated. “Calm Down” and “No Pressure” seek to relax the players but, in some situations, can burden them with additional pressure. “Fire Up,” “Focus,” and “Demand More” increase each player’s individual and collective focus and motivation if successful. If not, they’ll lose focus and become demotivated. Success here depends on your personal attribute motivation, team and player’s morale, player’s body language, and their personalities, as well as what happens during the game.

Shouts didn’t receive an overhaul from Football Manager 2022 and are working kind of the same. This year, I would suggest being more minimal and trying not to overuse them. So, let’s dive in:

Draw: Encourage
Win: Calm Down (after you scored the first goal, like 1–0)
Win: Praise (2+ goal difference)
Loss: Berate (2+ goal difference)

Remember: Talking to players (as a team and individually) increases your determination and motivating attributes. The higher your motivating attribute as a manager, the more chance you have to influence players with low-quality personalities.

Thank you!

GG
fc.cadoni

My rule of thumb that works 95% of times is: be aggressive and demanding during the game, and be calm and supportive before and after. I feel that easing the players' nerves when the ball is not rolling gets a good reaction, and tightening up on them during the game for an immediate reaction also works and they don't get angry or demotivated.

12 hours ago, kingjericho said:

My rule of thumb that works 95% of times is: be aggressive and demanding during the game, and be calm and supportive before and after. I feel that easing the players' nerves when the ball is not rolling gets a good reaction, and tightening up on them during the game for an immediate reaction also works and they don't get angry or demotivated.

I found this to generally be true.  As OP mentioned player personalities matter, or at least they seem to to me.  I place a high priority on player personalities.  My understanding of the theory (if not actually in game application) of shouts and team talks is that (again as OP said) player personalities and morale, perhaps also like/dislike of manager impact somewhat to significantly how they respond to shouts and team talks.   I've pretty much figured out how to do team talks pre game, half-time and post match, but this is only for certain personality types (high determination, professionalism, etc).  

On 23/10/2023 at 22:11, fc.cadoni said:

Hi there!

Here’s my strategy for Shouts during the game. Remember that shouts are applied before or after a highlight; this is by design from Sports Interactive. If you give a shout during the highlight and need to cancel it, pause the match, open the tactics tab, and hit “Cancel” in the bottom right corner.

In general, “Encourage” and “Praise” work best when players are being successful; if not, they may become frustrated. “Calm Down” and “No Pressure” seek to relax the players but, in some situations, can burden them with additional pressure. “Fire Up,” “Focus,” and “Demand More” increase each player’s individual and collective focus and motivation if successful. If not, they’ll lose focus and become demotivated. Success here depends on your personal attribute motivation, team and player’s morale, player’s body language, and their personalities, as well as what happens during the game.

Shouts didn’t receive an overhaul from Football Manager 2022 and are working kind of the same. This year, I would suggest being more minimal and trying not to overuse them. So, let’s dive in:

Draw: Encourage
Win: Calm Down (after you scored the first goal, like 1–0)
Win: Praise (2+ goal difference)
Loss: Berate (2+ goal difference)

Remember: Talking to players (as a team and individually) increases your determination and motivating attributes. The higher your motivating attribute as a manager, the more chance you have to influence players with low-quality personalities.

Thank you!

GG
fc.cadoni

This is the exact same approach I've been using and nearly always get a positive reaction from players. The only additional instruction I would use is Demand More when 1-0 down to try and get a reaction from the players.

I was not aware of the ability to cancel shouts. That will help in those annoying situations where you have applied a shout and then another goal is scored and the players react badly, so thank you for that bit of advice.