Best way to streamline modern FM?

They should never have got rid of the PC version of Classic Mode. I loved that version. Yes, there was no editor but you could still download skins, name fixes, badges, etc so you still got all you needed there. 

I'm actually back playing FM16 Classic Mode at the moment and having a blast with it. Hated when they removed this game mode. Let's not also forget they confidently claimed the year before it dropped that 'FM Classic* will be here to stay!'

*I steadfastly refuse to call it 'Touch'. 

5 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

They should never have got rid of the PC version of Classic Mode. I loved that version. Yes, there was no editor but you could still download skins, name fixes, badges, etc so you still got all you needed there. 

I'm actually back playing FM16 Classic Mode at the moment and having a blast with it. Hated when they removed this game mode. Let's not also forget they confidently claimed the year before it dropped that 'FM Classic* will be here to stay!'

*I steadfastly refuse to call it 'Touch'. 

Wholeheartedly agree!

I forced myself to play FM24 this week, 20 hours in and I’m in December, feeling absolutely burnt out by the game already :seagull:

Downloaded FM Touch on my iPad and managed to get the graphics sorted on it, yes its missing little tid bits, but my god at least its playable! I can actually see myself going 5-10 seasons deep rather than procrastinating over whether to even begin playing full fat FM!

16 hours ago, XaW said:

You can load old files into the new editor, but you are bound to get some errors that you have to fix, depending on how you did it and what changes you made. In my Norway file, I got over 5k errors from FM23 to FM24 (but that might be me doing things that work, but shouldn't have as I'm still rather new to editing) , so I decided to start fresh rather than shift through everyone and figure out what caused it and trial all fixes. If you get lucky and only get a handful, then that works fine.

To be honest I think I'll just have to either play an older version with that database i.e. 08 or 12 or give up trying to play football manager anymore. It's been so long since I last got into a version but tried 24 a week ago and it was just painful. Wasn't remotely fun. Took so long just to get through things. I realise this is in part that I've got older and changed, interests have changed etc. I love detail and stats but the stuff that makes the game take so long is stuff I don't have any interest in. And the amount of clicks to get through screens etc.......man. I swear there used to be versions that had the perfect balance of realism and detail but streamlined play until one version came out and it was a complete slog to play through. 

I was hoping a whole database could be transferred from 24 to 12 but realise that's a ridiculous thing to hope for as they're completely different games!

I’m also more of an old schooler that preferred the overall UI of the ChampMan and earlier FMs but I recently did a season on FM23 during holidays in just a few days. I suggest the following:

- Delegate as much as possible but transfers. Even training I gave it to the assistant until Christmas.

- Hire the best possible staff for each role.

- Staff meetings once per month

- I play with all leagues but you could try smaller databases with full detail only for WorldCups, Champions League etc.

- A nice clean theme

And that’s pretty much it. I take more time in preseason and winter break adjusting the squad but transfer action is part of the fun.

I also love the classic, I would love for the classic mode made a comeback, but as longer Miles (certain SI higher ups) remains in charge I do not seeing this from happening.

I don’t fully grasp behind the scenes, but from what I seen in marketing of different versions of FM, twitter and general feel in these forums for this period we had FM Classic (Touch), I believe it was something forced on them into creating and the game mode was genuinely seen had pointless endeavor by those people. Why do we focus on FMT (classic), when we have full FM here. I say this because the overall lack of dev team to justify the game mode to exist, was non-existing, when people call it an easier game mode. The users here try to clarify it wasn’t easy game mode, but a game without the pointless fluff added to the game, it was in someway simply ignored and unfortunately, the majority of the fan base remained focus on that excuse.

I also see, and I dare to say, one of the reasons in what killed the interest in FM Classic right in the beginning was the lack of an editor (or have the current one enable for it). When around the first iteration of FM Classic, there was bug that if follow a few steps, you could use your edit files… That was patch quite quickly. They do fix it, when it is inconvenient to their view for FM in general or hurts their bottom line (making money like what is happening with FM25).

This is why I say it will never happen. Despite you can delegate several stuff now, still light years away from the simple, fun and speedy version of FM Classic.

Edited by grade

Interesting how there are two almost identical posts about this. (This one a year old and mine today)

Clearly a demand especially amongst old school players.

As I said in my thread. I believe touch/classic was pulled as it was proving too popular and in turn showing up the full version. Which is not a good look for them.

Edited by trevjim

Make the Console version available to PC users. This is a wonderfully streamlined version of the game which I prefer to the full-fat version.

I do not believe you can get it on PC (outside of a Game Pass subscription) - or, at least, I am not smart enough to find out how to get it on PC.

40 minutes ago, jcafcwbb said:

Make the Console version available to PC users. This is a wonderfully streamlined version of the game which I prefer to the full-fat version.

I do not believe you can get it on PC (outside of a Game Pass subscription) - or, at least, I am not smart enough to find out how to get it on PC.

If you go to the Microsoft Store app on your PC and search for Football Manager Console you should find it.

2 minutes ago, Malicious Penguin said:

If you go to the Microsoft Store app on your PC and search for Football Manager Console you should find it.

Thanks for that. I have only looked for it on Steam - where it doesn't exist as far as I am aware. I might try FM25 Console on PC. 

3 minutes ago, jcafcwbb said:

Thanks for that. I have only looked for it on Steam - where it doesn't exist as far as I am aware. I might try FM25 Console on PC. 

Microsoft have the monopoly on the Console version on PC as it's on Xbox - Console is basically the old Touch/Classic.

Definitely bloated but some players love the 100% immersion into the game and literally doing everything......so its up to the individual themselves to streamline the game as much as they can as they see fit.......there's defo a lot of bloat for sure but seems that will be gone for 25

Just now, dannyo666 said:

Definitely bloated but some players love the 100% immersion into the game and literally doing everything......so its up to the individual themselves to streamline the game as much as they can as they see fit.......there's defo a lot of bloat for sure but seems that will be gone for 25

Unfortunately there's a lot of bloat you can't remove in the full fat game/bloat that impacts the game regardless.

4 hours ago, jcafcwbb said:

The irony was that it has been available to PC players up until recently and was becoming more and more popular. No idea why they stopped it on PC

• 2 weeks later...

FM Console is pretty amazing! I've played that way more than the PC version for the past couple of games now.

This topic has got me thinking though... obviously CM was/is very streamlined and the fastest option.  But which version of FM would everyone consider the best/most fun?  For me, I love FM 2008, but I do miss the 3D ME when I play it now!

How is everyone judging this? The most realistic? or the most streamlined and/or fun FM?

For realism (or at least depth :)) it would be FM24 for me, but for pure enjoyment FM 2008 is my fave.  If it had a 3D match engine, I'd never play another FM again lol