CPU temperatures spiking up - help!

Hello.

A couple of months ago I built a new system that includes i13900K CPU and MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360 cooler. In any other games, the cooling is fine, MSI Center is really painful but it’s possible to find a good compromise. The problem with only FM is that I am mostly playing in 30-40 degrees temperatures, but every few seconds it spikes up to 60-70 for a split second (goes back down immediately), and my fans go absolutely CRAZY for about 5 seconds.

I’ve had this issue in FM 23 and thought that perhaps something might change in 24 but honestly, the timing seems even worse now. MSI Center has a spot only for only one custom curve and I don’t want to use the custom one for every game and then change it solely for FM and then back again. Besides, it feels like the only solution is setting a straight curve anyway.

Browsing for similar problems didn’t really help. Any ideas?

21 hours ago, Firebolt said:

Hello.

A couple of months ago I built a new system that includes i13900K CPU and MSI MEG CORELIQUID S360 cooler. In any other games, the cooling is fine, MSI Center is really painful but it’s possible to find a good compromise. The problem with only FM is that I am mostly playing in 30-40 degrees temperatures, but every few seconds it spikes up to 60-70 for a split second (goes back down immediately), and my fans go absolutely CRAZY for about 5 seconds.

I’ve had this issue in FM 23 and thought that perhaps something might change in 24 but honestly, the timing seems even worse now. MSI Center has a spot only for only one custom curve and I don’t want to use the custom one for every game and then change it solely for FM and then back again. Besides, it feels like the only solution is setting a straight curve anyway.

Browsing for similar problems didn’t really help. Any ideas?

You do know that 60-70 degrees isn't even hot for a CPU right? Like nowhere near where I'd start to worry, and especially if it's only spiking to those temperatures, which is completely normal for multi core, multi thread CPU's, and especially intel chips. 

60-70 is not a problem is a quite normal temperature for multicore working (especially if the fan was off few seconds it start to work hard it will spike up quickly)

a) your fan is too loud or bad fans or badly installed

b) there could be a chance if you installed yourself that the CPU and the block don’t have a perfect paste/connection some people use way too much paste and will make the fan job harder to dissipate heat as a lot of paste tends to insulate (relative talking is not insulating but block more heat that a thin veil) rather than favor heat passage.

c) play some music when you play video games if you are so sensitive to fan noise or set a different profile for your fan that doesn’t go that fast quickly is only a few seconds at the time probably a more relaxed curve that goes up more gently will provide the same result with less noise 

Edited by Ngoc

4 hours ago, Ngoc said:

60-70 is not a problem is a quite normal temperature for multicore working (especially if the fan was off few seconds it start to work hard it will spike up quickly)

Just to make sure, this is 60-70 CELSIUS (not Fahrenheit...).

A silly suggestion: set Crowd graphic setting to very low. We don't really need high-res crowd, do we?...

yes CPU can get easily to 85 you wouldn't want to get there unless you are stress testing the CPU but in general they can handle it.

A safe temperature range for most CPUs is between 40–65°C (or 104–149°F). At the highest loads, your average CPU temps can go up to 80–85°C (176–185°F), but consider this the absolute limit.

and this is on the conservative side because is your "average CPU" Some CPUs can easily get to 90-95 as well.

and the fact that he says it "spike" means that his fan is practically dormant so when the CPU starts working with barely any fan/cooling it goes up quickly then cooling kicks in and I am sure it lowers around 60... that is where it should be when working normally. I think this is how all computer works nowadays in the saving electricity business before the fan was kept at medium speed even when not working so was less noticeable maybe as there was less of a spike and more of a slow heating with the fan slowly increasing.

Edited by Ngoc

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Yes, I know 60-70 degrees (yes celsius) is not that high or anything, my issue is with the sound of the fans because it’s insanely annoying to hear them spike up every few seconds.

As I explained, setting a custom curve only for Football Manager would be a highly impractical solution as no other game is having this issue and I can only set a single custom curve in MSI Center so that would mean constantly swapping back and forth. I tried different fan control softwares but for some reason they acted as if they didn’t recognise all my fans. Besides, before this PC I had 10900K with Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT and the temperatures on FM23 didn’t spike up a single time.

Ironically, after posting about it here I started having much lower FPS in matches which is an issue that appears on Reddit as well (FPS suddenly low after playing a save for some time) but with no solution lol. :)

60-70c is normal especialy if the spike in temp is when processing match day results in back ground or processing days during transfer windows .i run i9 12900k cpu desktop most leagues loaded a lot of leagues on full detail full player database fm22,23,24 all fine never hear my fans set on balanced through icue 

Edited by Mush1983

Are you sure that it is FM that is spiking the CPU load and making the fans spin up?

Do you have a second monitor or could you play FM in a window, then you can have Task Manager open along with Core Temp to see what is happening. If it is something in FM, then it's probably worth noting what the game is actually doing when the load\temps spike and report it on here.

It could also just be your setup. FM has long period of idle CPU followed by intensive processing. Other games are generally more GPU dependant, it might just be that your fan configuration struggles to keep the CPU cool at full load and you would need to look into either the fan temperature curve or the overall cooling setup.