[FM24.3] USA to D4 (USL2) + Canadian Championship fix

Can you DM me the save file if possible,  I wouldn't mind poking around. That $14.5K figure sounds familiar from past saves, I was usually able to up it by moving money around or selling players and would suddenly be able to offer $80K to $110K but there might be something preventing you now. Not a problem to raise this stuff, I need the feedback, only way to improve these files. Might be something in contract types or Board/chairman settings that actually makes a difference in FM24 and never worked before

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to mastermind behind this database great job

in same time I'm curious have you thought about doing MLS - USL - USL2, and all that with promotion/relegation?

and kind of simplified rules, something for 'normies' from Europe?

I've thought about it, although pro/rel would be a different file, and I don't really have the energy at the moment to keep both going. The most basic version wouldn't include MLS, the way they build rosters and draft players etc doesn't really lend itself to teams going up and down.

USLC to USL1 makes a lot more sense, the roster rules are largely similar and you'd just have to adjust your salary cap each year. Maybe a playoff with the NISA champs. It would also mean teams move around a bit, which does happen IRL, just not with pro/rel on the field.

USL2 could be at the bottom but it would be really hard for teams getting relegated to adjust to semipro (in some cases hamstrung by contracts for guys they can't even register)

Simplified rules sound interesting too, you could scrap everything in contract rules and drafts and see what happens over a few years of testing. Would need some tweaks but should work. Years and years ago (FM08 maybe) I think someone took the Israeli league, made it American and renamed it MLS, and plugged all the MLS teams in (with relegation to a second division with NASL teams like Puerto Rico). Editing wasn't quite as sophisticated then so it was a straight swap. Meant you had the exact rules and format of the Israeli leagues but as far as the game knew, it was an American division called MLS with all the right teams.

Was actually lots of fun and easy to just burn through a season as you weren't keeping an eye on all these insane roster rules. Something to think about. That might be easier here too mind you

I personally really appreciate a database that reflects reality as much as possible. There are always plenty of database options if you want to play fantasy saves with pro-rel.

We don’t yet have enough mechanisms that enable dynamism among clubs in North America to make pro-rel saves particularly interesting IMO. Unless you remove all MLS rules and go pure fantasy. 

Edited by CluHaywood

It's a square peg for sure. Then again so is playing in the US in general. Still trying to figure out what's keeping USLC teams from offering bigger deals, I wonder if we have to wait for a specific date to tick over, or is it like this in the future too?

USA is still set up for 2023 season while having San Diego in USL Championship messes up that league

USLC - San Diego and Rio Grande Valley need to be removed

adding Rhode Island

North Carolina now in USLC from League1

USL1 - adding Spokane

MLSNextPro - Carolina Core and Chattanooga (From NISA) now in League

SJ Earthquakes II changed name to The Town

LA Galaxy II changed name to Ventura County

NISA - Flower City, Albion San Diego, Gold Star no longer

Arizona Monsoon, Capo FC, Georgia Lions, and Irvine Zeta have joined League

They've done that in the new update? I don't see it yet. If they've moved teams around I'll have to do something. If not, I'm not going to update it, this is for the 2023 season and onward from there. Same way SI maintains MLS - rosters are playable from preseason 2023 and where you go from there is up to you

On 24/04/2024 at 07:46, FTorres_18 said:

can you update the canchamp fix for 24.3?

Doing this now, taking the chance to update the 2024 (and onward) version for the new format (again) - back to two legs in the QFs and SFs. Just need to run a test to the 2024 season and make sure it's working.

USL Championship is still throwing up an issue with any new salaries offered being extremely low, trying to find a fix.

On 29/04/2024 at 01:44, enb17 said:

USA is still set up for 2023 season while having San Diego in USL Championship messes up that league

USLC - San Diego and Rio Grande Valley need to be removed

adding Rhode Island

North Carolina now in USLC from League1

USL1 - adding Spokane

MLSNextPro - Carolina Core and Chattanooga (From NISA) now in League

SJ Earthquakes II changed name to The Town

LA Galaxy II changed name to Ventura County

NISA - Flower City, Albion San Diego, Gold Star no longer

Arizona Monsoon, Capo FC, Georgia Lions, and Irvine Zeta have joined League

these things have happened for sure

I know, but 2023 is the default setup in the game, I mean look at the last update, they even clarified they're not doing 2024 updates/transfers in calendar-year leagues like this.

From past experience trying to make these kinds of updates for the NEXT season (2024 in this case) results in MLS and the lower leagues being a weird hybrid of 2023/2024. Even if we updated all the clubs and rosters we'd likely miss something, and would have to cut, like, the pro guys from Flower City (who won the title IRL) so the club can move to USL2.

Alternately trying to make the clubs move themselves after one season would throw up issues like that, especially teams like Flower City going from pro to semi-pro.

Plus, it's like these changes happened because of things that happened IRL, like at some point during the course of 2023 an unsuccessful organization decided to leave, or a new team decided to join. These events aren't necessarily happening in FM-world which starts with the 2023 line-ups in early 2023. Also I'm lazy and already did all the work on scheduling and formats

The main problem with this update is San Diego roster is updated to the recent FM update so the club has no players well teams like Spokane and Rhode Island have a full roster of players but no games to play

So even if you start the game in 2023 its unplayable because you have a team in the league with no players.

Posted (edited)

Oh OK, they did update the lower league rosters? I hadn't realized. That's crazy. But they left MLS rosters as in 2023? I'll look into making some adjustments then, ideally we can figure out what's going on with USL-C salaries though, in the meantime it's not playable from USL-C down with that new glitch anyway

Edited by themodelcitizen

• 3 weeks later...

Fixing the teams in USLC and USL1, thankfully it's an easy adjustment with as many teams leaving as came in, so we can keep the 2023 format but with the correct 2024 lineup. It doesn't look like SI touched any of the rosters in USL2 or NISA? Can leave that for now... still working on that money bug affecting USLC teams (and USLC teams only) though, this is probably best as a background mod until we get that fixed

hi mate, i know i keep coming back to this. instead of making the ncaa as a playable league, is it possible to create the colleges and have the superdraft just pick players from the colleges? so basically have the ncaa colleges but not in some league, just as teams.

Posted (edited)

I noticed CPU-owned "B" squads don't use a lot of players from the first team. Like the first teams only allow 1 or 2 players to play with the "B" squad.

I don't know if that's meant to happen or not.

Edited by Tigerman500

3 hours ago, dino88 said:

hi mate, i know i keep coming back to this. instead of making the ncaa as a playable league, is it possible to create the colleges and have the superdraft just pick players from the colleges? so basically have the ncaa colleges but not in some league, just as teams.

They come from the USL2, so you could just dump new clubs (modelled after colleges) into the existing USL2 conferences, I think that's what most people do. If you didn't wanna build the rules then at least it would look the way you want in their history, news items about the draft, etc.

2 hours ago, Tigerman500 said:

I noticed CPU-owned "B" squads don't use a lot of players from the first team. Like the first teams only allow 1 or 2 players to play with the "B" squad.

I don't know if that's meant to happen or not.

Yeah they're really not good at it, I tried different options in the editor to make them take advantage of the loan system more, but they're not great at this kind of squad management

2 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Yeah they're really not good at it, I tried different options in the editor to make them take advantage of the loan system more, but they're not great at this kind of squad management

It kinda bothers me tbh. They have youngster on their first team that could be used for reserves but they don't use them.

Was thinking about trying to shoehorn San Diego in somewhere (in lieu of placing them in MLS), but the competitions are all fairly well-balanced now and they only have four players signed at the moment. Would be cool to do a kind of dispersal draft, maybe modelled on previous versions of the game where that happened. Not sure I have the time to test it for a while though

If we can fix the USL-C salary bug that would be a big update to make it playable from D2 down again. Other than that, there really isn't such a thing as a final version with TMC files, they're released as completely playable (unless its a beta) and then fixed where and when people point out issues

How close are you by fixing that bug? Is it playable now or should i wait for that fix?

Also there are links to Canadian Championship and Canada League 1 and Cup Comps. Those 3 is all i need for the US and Canada leagues?

Because there is also the Canadian Megapatch by yellowsweatygorilla. Do i need that as well or is that a standalone?

You can pick from either saintscanada's Canada League 1 and Cup comps, or yellow's file. I don't think the game would let you load both, they're both Canadian league files and it usually makes you pick one from the same countries.

The Canadian Championship file acts separately to clean up the Voyageurs Cup but I don't believe it's compatible with yellow's file. It was built to work alongside saintscanada's file.

ETA for that bug is unknowable, anyone with the editor is welcome to try different fixes and would get credit in the OP. At the moment I wouldn't recommend loading D2 down because of it.

I tried Saints's file but it is not playable. (it says that i have to test and approve it before being used (approved with v24.0.0). Do not know what that means and how to fix that!  I am using the FM24.3 version and changing it back is not an option (lot of other files depend on it)! I think that Saints has to update it to the 24.3 version!?

So if i  use tour US file with yellow's file without the Canadian Championship file would do?

Sorry to bother with you with all of this!

Time to sleep now.

Edited by Charles1970

5 hours ago, Charles1970 said:

I tried Saints's file but it is not playable. (it says that i have to test and approve it before being used (approved with v24.0.0). Do not know what that means and how to fix that!  I am using the FM24.3 version and changing it back is not an option (lot of other files depend on it)! I think that Saints has to update it to the 24.3 version!?

So if i  use tour US file with yellow's file without the Canadian Championship file would do?

Sorry to bother with you with all of this!

Time to sleep now.

Easiest way is to load the file in the official pre-game editor. It will then tell you it is made by/for an earlier version. You then let the editor check the rules. There are too outcomes:

1. it will work with the new version → you can save the file in the editor → you can now use it in your game
2. it tells you what you should change to fix it → make the fixes (if you know how ofcourse) → let the editor check it again → step 1 or step 2

On 12/06/2024 at 14:12, Charles1970 said:

Is it playable now or should i wait for that fix?

Unfortunately it completely kills the USL Championship. You're limited to offering players approximately $15K/year salaries. So every team transfer lists and releases players with salaries above that (nearly every player). After the first season all USLC clubs struggle to compete with League 2 amateur sides in the US Open Cup. 

21 hours ago, Charles1970 said:

I am in the pre-game editor but absolutely do not know how to check those rules! Any help or maybe a guide somewhere?

Open the editor and choose the 24.3 database. Load the file you want to test. Go to Rules → test rules.

@Jorgen Thanks. Did it and only one file gets verified (from the Canada 3.72 minor fixes and scheduling updates from SaintsCanada), so the file still will not work. How do i fix those fixes? Sorry to bother you with this. If there is no solution can is use your file without Saint's file and your redux file and use Yellow's file instead?

Edited by Charles1970

17 hours ago, Charles1970 said:

@Jorgen Thanks. Did it and only one file gets verified (from the Canada 3.72 minor fixes and scheduling updates from SaintsCanada), so the file still will not work. How do i fix those fixes? Sorry to bother you with this. If there is no solution can is use your file without Saint's file and your redux file and use Yellow's file instead?

Glad to be of help. I have no useful experience in the editor concerning creating or fixing competitons, I'm afraid.

On 14/06/2024 at 10:27, Charles1970 said:

I believe mine is still compatible with Yellow's, haven't had a look since the last official patch though

I've been messing around with the pre-game editor trying to figure out what is causing the USLC bug. I was using Sacramento as a test and with the database as is, I couldn't get anyone to sign as they felt I didn't have the financial means to sign them. Once I removed the annual salary from the squad selection rules under the USA match rules 14, it would allow me to sign the same player. I could offer up to $120k a year. Another possible issue is that there's a rule for only having 14 full-time players, but the default rosters have every player on your team set to full-time. This causes you to end up not registering a huge portion of the team. I don't know if these are what is causing the issue, but I just wanted to bring it up if it can point in some direction to help. This database has been huge for immersion playing in the US and I have been having a lot of fun with it. Just wanted to thank you for creating it!

@themodelcitizenI have a bit of a strange question. When starting a save, I don't add players to teams. Is there any particular reason why (most) USL2 teams and generate players regardless of this?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as no other teams create players at the start of the save. 

Posted (edited)

First season they need to generate players (usually from the team's region) so that MLS has players to draft. Then from second season on a bunch of the USL2 divisions get randomly assigned players from the academy divisions IIRC. At least that's how it used to work, pretty sure it still does. A bunch of that stuff seems broken this year, I know the US head researcher requested they clean a bunch of it up but they didn't bother

Edited by themodelcitizen

47 minutes ago, themodelcitizen said:

First season they need to generate players (usually from the team's region) so that MLS has players to draft. Then from second season on a bunch of the USL2 divisions get randomly assigned players from the academy divisions IIRC. At least that's how it used to work, pretty sure it still does. A bunch of that stuff seems broken this year, I know the US head researcher requested they clean a bunch of it up but they didn't bother

Yeah, I have the CPL set to draft from U-Sports, but the U-Sports teams haven't generated players. I just wasn't sure if it was something you had done to the USL2 teams

On 21/06/2024 at 06:10, EnigMattic1 said:

Yeah, I have the CPL set to draft from U-Sports, but the U-Sports teams haven't generated players. I just wasn't sure if it was something you had done to the USL2 teams

Some of the USL2 divisions are hard-coded to do that (i.e. start with players and then get a new batch from the academy leagues every off-season). Nothing I did

On 21/06/2024 at 06:10, EnigMattic1 said:

On 21/06/2024 at 05:42, Maverik1828 said:

hey guy this is abit off topic but dies anyone here know how to add a team to a league but get them to starting in that league in the second season?

You could just add an entry at the top of "teams" with "ignore team" set to "specific team" and the new team (before the standard "get all teams from division" entry or whatever it is). Add an "end year" for that rule, of the first season, and it won't use it anymore.

It's not pretty mind you, the game/your board doesn't really know what's going on and might try to set expectations, transfer budgets, etc. You could add a transfer ban for that one club until a few months before the season starts, I guess. The way MLS does it (with "next divsion") seems hard-coded and not easily replicated

Where do reserve teams go in USL Championship? I created a club and when it asked if I wanted a reserve team I said yes but it didn't put them in any sort of league.