THORFINN – A Sporting and Social Revolution Begins

phnompenhandy

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Welcome to the West of Scotland First Division. :applause: I was unable to get out of it at the 1st attempt so maybe the fact that we've been playing the save for a while now has allowed the better clubs to rise towards the top of the Non-League structure in the save and it will be a little tougher from here on. 

I'm loving the player pictures of your asylum seekers almost as much as your pictures of the Scottish Countryside. :cool:

Hamza Adam is not happy to be here though. :herman: 

That Peebles picture is the best one yet. :thup:

It seems so strange to see all your foreign Nationalities and I've just had British & Irish as well as Canadian & Polish. 

@Ronaldo Beckham right. The effort you make with the pictures really makes your thread stand out. :applause:I actually skim over some of the text when I'm catching up with your updates, (sorry), but I pore over the pictures. :lol:

Love the BSC story, (see, I don't skim over everything). :cool: :applause:

Your intakes still seem a way off mine, (in terms of CA). What are your facilities like now? 

Barrientos looks like a younger, poorer Rishi Sunak. At 5'9" he's a little taller too and his Decisions & Leadership attributes of 9 are definitely better than those of Rishi's

Good Luck in WoS 1. (Is that Tier 7 for you too?) I'm guessing it must be.

^  @Jimbokav1971 [aargh, how to tag??]  let's see

1. Hamza Adam should be our best player, or one of. I'm aware I'm not using him optimally. I've been patient, starting him when on bad runs when others get dropped, but I can't figure out his best role/duty within my structure. I've also found (and I fear this will be even worse with my Ethiopian youth this season), when I identify they have the attributes to play in a position that isn't their chosen one, they just don't rise to the occasion. I think in game terms that a reduction in decision-making. I don't know how long to plug away before they fall to my will.

The big Peebles photo was nicked off Ronaldo Beckham's thread here.

From my Kirkwall local academy intake I've had a lot of dual nationalities - Aus, Canadian, Polish, Austrian, Zimbabwean as well as your Irish and so on. No idea why that is. Scotland is such a multicultural nation these days, I'd expect a similar pattern in many Lowland towns too. The refugees are different - I loaded up those nations at the start of the save (although even then very few present themselves each year).

The BSC story is stone-cold fact, (up to 2023 that is!) including the Mozza detail

My facilities are pants, and a real problem now. They're all 1s apart from 3s for junior coaching and youth recruitment. Plenty of rivals at this level leave me for dust. I've built it into the narrative (Spiv the chairman) but in game terms we have no money and no likelihood of getting any. Could well be my glass ceiling - this year's intake is definitely down.

Tier 7, yeah. It's been many many FM iterations since I've risen so high :eek:

Just now, Jimbokav1971 said:

Indeed. Welcome to the West of Scotland First Division. :applause: I was unable to get out of it at the 1st attempt so maybe the fact that we've been playing the save for a while now has allowed the better clubs to rise towards the top of the Non-League structure in the save and it will be a little tougher from here on. 

I'm loving the player pictures of your asylum seekers almost as much as your pictures of the Scottish Countryside. :cool:

Hamza Adam is not happy to be here though. :herman: 

That Peebles picture is the best one yet. :thup:

It seems so strange to see all your foreign Nationalities and I've just had British & Irish as well as Canadian & Polish. 

@Ronaldo Beckham right. The effort you make with the pictures really makes your thread stand out. :applause:I actually skim over some of the text when I'm catching up with your updates, (sorry), but I pore over the pictures. :lol:

Love the BSC story, (see, I don't skim over everything). :cool: :applause:

Your intakes still seem a way off mine, (in terms of CA). What are your facilities like now? 

Barrientos looks like a younger, poorer Rishi Sunak. At 5'9" he's a little taller too and his Decisions & Leadership attributes of 9 are definitely better than those of Rishi's

Good Luck in WoS 1. (Is that Tier 7 for you too?) I'm guessing it must be.

Cheers mate. I got the backgrounds from Sortioutsi if you wanted to get them yourself. I appreciate your kind words. I always enjoy your career threads.

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Cheers mate. I got the backgrounds from Sortioutsi if you wanted to get them yourself. I appreciate your kind words. I always enjoy your career threads.

Oh right, well we use the same sources! I use google for pictures I post here so that I don't replicate the ones in the sortitoutsi pack (on the basis that some posters will have seen them already). Gotta go and compile a new set for Division 1 now.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh right, well we use the same sources! I use google for pictures I post here so that I don't replicate the ones in the sortitoutsi pack (on the basis that some posters will have seen them already). Gotta go and compile a new set for Division 1 now.

Looking forward to seeing the new photos and well done on your promotion.

compphy.thumb.png.6f37e1c6731af489087adab64997188c.png

compment.thumb.png.5d851f25f12ba9cf389ed69a18c8d585.png

comptech.thumb.png.4c58d68b39c5ac3650acc25acd1c5da2.png

Okay we're small, weak and slow, but we're no' stupid!

And I am pleased to see that after asking the recruitment people to find youths with a greater sense of teamwork and work rate, they have delivered.

Edited by phnompenhandy

JULY - PRESEASON

I do wonder about Astrid sometimes

attitude.png.285c2ec0680079d53171cc6f108a55e5.png

That's nice dear, but I've just been having a word -

worstatt.png.4dc1da67e21ab4231ec95f15f9023b4d.png

Must just be me, eh?

We went into the preseason trying to keep alterations to a minimum. In order to accommodate our last member, Barrientos, we swapped fullback roles and reverted to playing Adam at centre back. With neither established goalkeeper blowing me away, I started the academy kid in goal. So that meant two academy kids in the first-choice XI, with three more among the 15 on the bench. That left seven in the Under 18s squad until I refined the first team and sent more to the reserves.

We started with a couple of money-spinning crowd pleasers against Orkney FC and Rendall, plus patsies Staxigoe United. As Kevin Flett gradually eased his way back to fitness after nursing damaged knee ligaments inflicted late last season, our player of the preseason to pick up a serious injury is the unfortunate Willie Horne. With Flett being our established and reliable inside left, I’m struggling to explain to new Ethiopian arrival Hailemariam that if he wants to get near the first team, he needs to gain experience in the centre as a playmaker. Language barriers can be a real pain.

preseasres.thumb.png.ee701196ddb264aa7583b4b2e238dd96.png

Preseason results followed the time old pattern. Four of the opposition were Highland League sides - we won three and lost one. Despite being two tiers above us, I'm not sure the sides we beat are better than most of the sides we'll face in the league this season.

You can see from the pending fixtures, we've not been given kind cup draws. Only Greenock is below us. Could be short and sweet, like last season.

squad.thumb.png.97bd7b05fd07677517d62e90f51e4b08.png

Here's our squad to go into the season - tactically familiar and fit (apart from our best forward, who's out for a month). First-choice XI and backups for the midweek games. Left wing will need some bodging.

All players approached over the summer have knocked back offers and pledged their loyalty to us. Not sure whether to take that at face value or assume they're holding out for big money offers once they play the first two or three matches at this level. I have enough last minute shocks to be window-cynical.

Edited by phnompenhandy

AUGUST

The season commenced with the first match in the Scottish Cup, at home to one of the favourites in our division, Largs Thistle. Despite being the underdogs, experience told me that we always start the season well due to our preparations leaving us fitter and sharper than the opposition, and so it proved again with the narrowest of 1-0 wins.

On the Wednesday we were away at Preston Athletic – that’s ‘Preston’ as in The Battle of Prestonpans, not the English North End lot.

prestonath.png.c58fce3965c4df68488b4ad2b261ee31.png

One of the founders of the Lowland League, they are still a formidable club. The backup boys were less self-assured, but they battled well and drew 1-1. Penalty shoot-out? It went our way.

The thin slice of league spam in the tinpot sandwich was a trip to St. Anthony’s FC, wee Celtic wannabees in Glasgow.

stanthonys.png.356d7f97967b30ebfba7231583096b78.png

Proper old-skool ground - none of yer fancy-dan 'seats'.

'The Ants' were one of the first division sides I’d targeted that we’d need to finish above if we were to avoid relegation, so it was a relief to squeeze a 2-1 victory whilst also being a warning that we were going to have to play far better to beat the majority of the teams in our league.

Over the next ten days we’d play at Pollok twice and host Greenock Juniors. The third encounter would be in the Scottish Cup; the other two were tinpot games I was indifferent to. A 2-2 draw and another successful shoot-out saw us past Pollok in the Demolition Cup.

pollok.png.d0d3408af3558b2606b534f5ceeb5748.png

More people live in those housing schemes overlooking the ground than in the whole of Orkney, I'd warrant.

Now Third Division Greenock in the Junior Cup was more of a route than the 4-2 score line suggests, which set us up nicely to face Pollok again in the Big Cup.

We thought we had it all sewn up after scoring four in the first half, but we sat back too much and were clinging on 4-3 when the final whistle blew. Still, a win’s a win and the prize money is just as generous.

augres.thumb.png.ff80b5cd5cf442603bf92e7ddb29c3fd.png

Look with caution! A lazy cursory glance just shows up a sea of green, right? Look closely - see how thin the margins are. We always start well due to the reasons I gave above, but the signs are these wafer-thin margins will erode away very soon.

Pleasant surprises: amongst the academy kids thrown in the deep end, goalkeeper Mark Parker has been assured, and Kevin Beveridge filled in as an emergency midfielder and did well. Of the refugees, Rodrigo Barrientos is even more deadly than I’d expected but does need careful management – if he is to start every Saturday, he needs to miss training sessions and rest during the week. Grumbly Bereket Hailemariam is proving versatile, filling in midfield, left and right wings wherever a patch is needed. Shout also to striker Jordan McKinnon who was a first team regular for two seasons but stayed in the reserves for the whole of last season. He didn’t ‘fester’, and being given a recall due to a reduction in forward options, has maintained a decent standard. And the most pleasant surprise of all – the transfer window passed without incident.

Good lads

parker.thumb.png.121e4561fa667a8fa3a0bc03ceed296d.png

beveridge.thumb.png.0966c737429d7c4de5e8c8e03772597c.png

SEPTEMBER

The Wednesday Boys opened the month with a cup tie against a side we left behind in the fourth Division. The two matches they played so far both went to penalties; could they see Renfrew off inside 90 minutes?

RenfrewFC.png.54a85fc719d2798452f86bea1525c7c0.png

No. To lose 2-3 to a side three tiers below us is just plain embarrassing in my book. Nobody seemed to care, as the Strathclyde Demolition pot is universally unloved, but it does mean the Wednesday crew have to rely on the big boys winning other cup rounds if they’re to get a game again.

The big boys had a chance to show how it’s done in their Non-League Cup tie against Harmony Row, playing in the 7th tier Caledonian Premier (in real life they’ve rebranded as Giffnock Soccer Club). A good all-round display saw us through 5-2.

The next weekend we had our second league game, down at Cumnock Juniors. This was another unfancied side, one I’d marked as needing to finish above, so we’d be gunning for a win there.

cumnockjnrs.png.140987dfe388f2effd740e39bc51f5de.png

Alas, Barrientos took it upon himself to gun down an opposition player and got himself a red. We collapsed and went down 1-4. I knew that kid had bad juju in him. Pollock will be relieved to know he’ll miss the league encounter, but I had a headache covering for the Guatemalan.

We had to recover rapidly, because the next match was the First Round proper of the Scottish Cup. We faced Ellon United from down Aberdeen way. They’d knocked us out on penalties from some pot a couple of seasons back. On the Sunday our Under 18s chalked up a 6-0 thrashing, giving me the excuse to promote some of them and drop first teamers to knock out any complacency. That was admittedly a huge gamble for such a game. A gamble that paid off – we were under the cosh most of the game, but prevailed 2-1 with goalkeeper McCulloch keeping us in the game.

Wednesday evening involved a trip to Stoneyburn, a village near Livingstone for a Junior Cup tie.

Stoneyburn.png.6d4507ed681d2b33ac4f1cd6748d383c.png

The ‘seconds’ were boosted by the presence of Bad Barrientos along with Adam and Yiu Yiu Man in the side. They inspired a good performance and a 5-3 win.

So, Wednesday nights are back on – the trouble is, the next two are league fixtures. We had one more to see off before the month was out – a third trip to Pollokshiels. It was to be my 300th game in management. This time, Pollok sussed us out and we lost 0-1. It was my attempt at squad management that backfired, keeping some of our best players back for the upcoming midweek game. This year, the fixture congestion caused by success in the cups could cost us dear.

sepres.thumb.png.3ecab6c995d4167841cf3a90817b66e6.png

Well, I did warn you. The cup wins are transient; more important is the league - two played, two lost - and to low-ranking opposition, too.

Still,

septab.png.046b2c8dff3ff6d2b4095a8c8d9b533d.png

Early days and all that, but it's worth noting that we have beaten the three teams below us this season. If we can keep them below us, we survive. If last season ended a nail-biter, this one could be for opposite reasons.

OCTOBER

We were drawn against Newmains United in the Scottish Cup second round, which is none too exciting, but Astrid is confiding conspiratorial gossip in my ear. It seems that behind the scenes, pressure is being brought to bear. The Spiv is feeling isolated without his henchmen surrounding me this year, and he’s got Carol breathing down his neck. Political movers-and-shakers are keen to get the asylum-seeking project back to the prominence it has in Carol’s day, and have authorised her to ‘assist’ him. That means scrutinising any income and expenditure. Astrid tells me that if we keep going in the cup and make a financial killing, it will be invested in the club. The UNHRC is serious about putting things in place to nurture asylum-seekers to being future professional footballers.

October began with a Wednesday night match against BSC Glasgow. Despite being the better team, we found ourselves 0-2 down 90 minutes on the clock.  But an astonishing injury time burst saw us claw back two goals to finish 2-2.

A point was fine against BSC, but three days later we hosted one of the weakest sides in the division, so three points against Glenafton Athletic was essential. It didn’t look like it was going to happen as our patched-up side struggled, but late inspiration by means of an assist and a goal from an out-of-position Hailemariam earned us a 3-1 victory. Unfortunately, Golabek suffered broken ribs, and with McKinnon also out, we were short in the striker department.

The injuries and fatigue from playing bi-weekly meant I had a bench with 6 academy kids who hadn’t made a first team appearance when we hosted league favourites Petershill.  Fortunately, we played so well the game was sewn up before any substitutes came on as we ran out 3-1 winners, including Dendup’s first ever goal.

We were straight down to Craigmark Burntonians in the Junior Cup. We’d played and beaten them three times down the years, but as we’d already lost to one Fourth division side, we weren’t complacent.

That was a total lie. We were horribly complacent. The Stewart brothers had zero chemistry in central defence and the attack was powder puff. 0-3 to a side three tiers below us – uurggghh.

We had to get that out of our system and find our mojo against an intimidating Port Glasgow before the Cup That Mattered.  We’ve never actually beaten The Undertakers – now would be a good time.

And what a time it was to break that duck. With Choi starring and Ritchie getting his first goals of the season in a handsome 3-0 win, the lads understood that they had to line up the ducks to take on Newmains United the following Saturday.

We were on form, and we’d beaten these boys before – could we progress and have a chance of a big draw? We’d gone out in the Scottish Cup at this Second Round two years running – would we progress further this time than we ever had in our history?

YES WE WOULD! A fantastic hat trick by Ritchie, with all the goals laid on by Ednie saw us win a thrilling match 4-3 and make it to the Promised Land.

The next day, the Promised Land was downgraded to Petershill. We’d beaten them two weeks previously; we’d have to do it again. In the meantime, almost £40,000 prize money left our coffers looking in better shape than I’d ever known them. But we needed more for any upgrades.

We ended the month at Maud – not your granny but a village west of Peterhead in a Junior Cup tie.

maud.png.b3fd038f1b7d28641f78eeda57979b9a.png

Being a Wednesday evening, it would of course be the leftovers taking to the park. Stuck for options, I gave a debut to Pakistani right winger Abdul Saleem as a Pressing Forward, and he led the troops with a brace in a 5-0 destruction of the old dear. Given we have crucial Wednesday fixtures coming up in November, this was very encouraging indeed.

oct res.png

octtab.png.a2ca00292d059174b7431d657a3c7399.png

Last month, when we were hovering over the relegation zone, I advocated playing it cool. This month we're hovering outside the promotion places - stay cool; don't get excited. It still early days. We have five league games in November, three of them on Wednesday nights.

What I am excited about, however, is the gates. In our home games, we are now regularly pulling in more fans than Orkney FC. Now they are taking us as serious rivals!

Edited by phnompenhandy

NOVEMBER

The first two matches of the month were against the same opponent, Whiteletts Victoria. We played them twice last season, with honours even; now we faced them away in the league and then home in the West of Scotland (Indigo Comms) Cup. We knew they’d be tough opponents and the bettered us in the game at their place, with going down 0-1. We evened up the score in the game that didn’t matter, a 3-1 victory in the cup.

We now had four league games in two weeks. I had some delicate squad management decisions to make. The two Wednesday matches were against opponents I’d targeted as ‘must beat’. Did I put out my strongest side or seconds? If I played my strongest side in those games, we should win them, but then get mauled in the Saturday matches. On the other hand, we could go for it against the stronger sides (that we were currently above in the table) and risk dropping points against the weaker teams. Or I could mix them up and put out four ‘decent’ sides but that would risk dropping points in all the games. After much thought, I figured that the ‘weaker’ seconds had shown enough ability when the fates were kind to trust them with the Wednesday fixtures.

First up -Wednesday evening at home to Rutherglen Glencairn.  Lost 1-2. Probably my strategy was misplaced – specifically, Baird was frustrated with my instructions – he feels more comfortable as a defensive wingback and I told him to attack – it led to him getting sent off.

Next, we were home again, to professional outfit Winton Rovers from Ardrossan on the Ayrshire coast.  We lost that one too, 0-1. I’d kind of banked that result preseason, but the poor performance troubled me.

The Wednesday game was home to Neilston. After three league defeats on the trot, we needed something. What we got was another defeat, 1-2. This was starting to trouble me. Troubling me more was the murmurs on social media – fans criticising me for being too scared to experiment with the formation. I had bitter memories of the same criticism in my first season here – at that time I had no room to manoeuvre; now I have all the authority with the staff and players I could wish for, as well as the backing of the fans. Problem is, the games are coming too thick and fast; our only window is right now – one free weekend before we play Largs ahead of the Big Cup clash.

On our free Saturday, Neilston and Largs Thistle drew level with us as we started to gel with our relentless training of a new 5-2-3 (or 5-4-1) cautious tactic. The fans had demanded a change of approach – the same fans who’d demanded the adventurous attacking football I’d been delivering. Yes, the fans are our lifeblood; yes they love me and I love them, but damn they can be short-sighted idiots.

Emergency training sessions

emergencytraining.thumb.png.55d2bd79603ffcc5a8e82b3b1d342d6b.png

I was taking a huge gamble here – we absolutely needed points form this Largs game, but it was also a trial run for the Scottish Cup tie three days later. I only had time to drill the first-choice XI in the new tactic; after the Wednesday match at Largs, I’d need to rest that side ahead of the cup tie which would mean no further practice or tweaking to the experimental tactic. This had all the hallmarks of a disaster.

parkthebus.thumb.png.eb55fc6b7374be606e96c41f3a3c84e0.png

No Trevor, we are not "parking the flamin' bus" - we're just being a little more cautious defence-wise. Jeez, I should have been training the dimmer members of staff, particularly the Spiv-appointed media-friendly Talking Head.

We went down to the Ayrshire coast and won! We beat Largs 2-0; admittedly it was much to do with Thistle being really poor, but I liked what I saw. There were a few issues, mainly in defence, that needed ironing out, so in fact I did call the boys in for a short tactical session – as well as ensuring morale remained positive on the back of that game on the Thursday as we readied ourselves for the Big One.

newtacs.thumb.png.6c31ef99b2031067cc58e34453b63266.png

Don't tell me I never listen! And don't get ahead of yourselves - midtable will be a good campaign.

novres.thumb.png.a6c2ca748c331f5a59cacf5db6229da5.png

And breathe.

Okay people, full focus - time to make history!

petershillsharedwrossvale.png.e9e07e25f795304217497699fce34b7f.png

We've been here before - they share their spanking new stadium with Rossvale FC

Petershill were two places above us in the league and not in great form. We’d beaten then at home the previous month; there was a chance.

This is the new tactic we'd prepared primarily for this game

newtactic.thumb.png.2b8b4694b4566399f2bd1096e85cb511.png

No need to change the mentality - we need to find a goal, but the roles and duties are designed to batten down the hatches.

In an almighty battle, over 120 minutes, we prevailed - 1-0. The solitary goal came from an unlikely source; with Barrientos unable to manage more than 90 minutes, in extra time Ryan Baird came on and got it. With our numbers in defence and double-destroying pivot screening the back three, we never allowed them one shot on target. HISTORY!  THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!

It does - starting here:

finanes.thumb.png.a6c42707447af53b54b6ed21ba7a720f.png

How we smirked when the Spiv put on a straight face to present the figures.

And what came out of the hat?

draw.png.502d6aa541fdf277f53432148f8534e5.png

Big time, baby! (probably not a very big gate, but hey)

To be honest, I’d be wanting to change to a formation like this for over a year; what prevented me was the fact that we have too many forwards and not enough defenders. We’re about to see if this is well-founded or not, as the seconds, barely prepared in this formation, are going to have to play the next fixture.

Back on Planet Earth, midtable (or three points from safety if your glass is half-empty

novtab.png.7f633e211bd8084d8811d26bb3389433.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

Aha! I haven't even met Carol in years, but she's pulling the strings and Astrid is coaching me in political speak.

Two requests, two refusals.

yrapp.png.47994c84b39319c5f0ff2c95b8eaf9d7.png

"This issue has been discussed with the board", the Spiv tells me. 'I know Ally, I know. That's why I know you'll cave in when I "insist"....'

insist.thumb.png.f2240392abfcff85d14a84a12a897c2a.png

jcyes.png.f790ded61aa0c903197fb21b1db9bae2.png

Yes, one of us has had a 'productive meeting, Ally'. You're nothing but an empty shell, pal. Why humiliate yourself like this?

Astrid is poised to get the info out to our Orcadian scouts. One of then gets to scout Caithness, and the team might be able to twist some schoolkids' arms at the last minute to persuade them to accept our after-school coaching sessions over Orkney's before the winter preview.

That followed a couple of weeks later

intake.thumb.png.01a749e4f077224a7c83a3a44d593080.png

"Excellent", you say, Astrid? "Golden Generation", huh? Come on, you don't need to talk PR bull to me. Goalkeepers, strikers and wingers are the three areas we're not short on (numbers, not necessarily quality). What we need are midfielder hardnuts and competent centre backs.  Get your people to re-focus, there's still time. And get this Mike chap to dig some out abroad.

DECEMBER

We kicked off December at Cumbernauld United, three points behind us.

cumbernauldutd.png.cccbf82abedadf824e0cd200111047d1.png

I was pleased that we were defensively sound in a 0-0 draw, but we were clueless in attack. This didn’t surprise me – it will take time to bed in a new tactic and it was the first game the seconds trialled it. The first team will be going again after a come-down following such a huge game; I’m not sure how well I can motivate them for a sucky cup tie. I’m also not optimistic the fans will tolerate such turgid fare. My first hint will be a home again against the top side in a fortnight.

We did what many away clubs must do and drove to Grant Park, home of Lossiemouth FC. For many years custodians of the Highland League - from 1946 until relegation in 2028. since then, they keeping winning their league but fail in the play-offs. Anyway, wrong club. Phoenix Park was just half a mile away. Home to the junior club Lossiemouth United, they’ve risen up to the MacBookie Superleague (tier 6) and find themselves in the same division as their big brothers, somewhat akin to if we ever join Orkney FC in the same division.

This is the place!

lossiemouthutd.png.15d2a6e0196b35bb2d4c00d0ce623965.png

For all my intensive analysis and calculating of different positions, roles and duties, the good ol’ 2-2 draw and win on penalties burst its way through the façade. Water-tight at the back and power-puff up front? Pah!

The seconds, including two academy kids getting debuts, showed they aren’t au fait with the new tactic at Harestanes in Kirkintilloch

harestanes.png.2dcb916456759c8e42e19ae1108d387b.png

The club, playing in the division above us, comfortably won the game as we went down 0-2. Glad to relieve the schedule a little bit.

Having got that tie out of the way, we had to face three of the leagues top four in the space of seven days. Getting anything out of that would be a plus. We’d begin at home to league leaders Beith Juniors before taking on BSC Glasgow whom we’ve played twice this year and not won yet, and then Bonnyton Thistle, who have also beaten us twice in two encounters.

We got off to a good start. Despite being well outplayed, a late brace from North Korean Choi in a solo Poacher role rescued a point in a 2-2 draw with Beith Juniors. Our seconds were also dominated and equally fortunate to come away from Broomhill with a 1-1 draw with BSC Glasgow. In the final game we went one better, slowly getting into the game after going behind at Bonnyton Thistle, and nabbing a late winner to take all three points in a 2-1 victory.

An excellent set of results in the circumstances

decres.thumb.png.f644b2c5a9ac29bf34c60d1a80c04301.png

We’ve now played each team in the league once; this is where we are at the half-way point.

dectab.png.f21fc9436ddc1941c7712685b5eab26b.png

It's only half-way for us; our upcoming Saturday game has been rescheduled, leaving us a week and a half over Christmas to focus on these new tactics while other clubs catch up on our game in hand [edit: table here is updated to the Saturday: the top 3 appear to be pulling away].  We've won six and lost six. Traditionally, we go on a good run once the cups are out of the way, although that habit was broken last time.

Some intense tactics work now

intensetacstrain.thumb.png.966f4b75e2ea1b3282d2d36d1f06156b.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

What I am excited about, however, is the gates. In our home games, we are now regularly pulling in more fans than Orkney FC. Now they are taking us as serious rivals!

That is excellent news!

26 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

It's only half-way for us; our upcoming Saturday game has been rescheduled, leaving us a week and a half over Christmas to focus on these new tactics while other clubs catch up on our game in hand.  We've won six and lost six. Traditionally, we go on a good run once the cups are out of the way, although that habit was broken last time.

Are you happy with that at this stage of the season?

10 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

That is excellent news!

Are you happy with that at this stage of the season?

I was very aware that sitting 4th at the end of October was a false dawn, and midtable is better than I expected at this stage. As I say, when we only have the league and Saturday matches, we tend to go on good runs; I don't see us being quite so consistent this time - our squad isn't that strong, but - assuming we don't lose key players in the looming window - I don't fear a relegation struggle now, but I'd be surprised if we catch up with the best teams. You never know, though, could we do a repeat of last season and steal third spot on goals scored??? :brock:

JANUARY 2031

The one Wednesday and three Saturday league games before St. Mirren were all potentially winnable.  On New Years’ Day the ‘B’ team went out to bat, it being a Wednesday at home to St. Anthony’s. We beat them 2-1 in our first league game at this level, although only four of that team would start this one. It mattered not. Millar scored his first goal, and Ritchie his first in yonks to win 3-1. The ‘A’ listers faced Cumnock Juniors on the Saturday. They’d walloped us 1-4 back in September; we had a score to settle. Well, 1-1 against a team above us in the table – adequate.

We’d be visiting New Cumnock next, to face Glenafton Athletic.

glenaftonath.png.e7419f881788d8f037130296719740e0.png

We weren’t great and the result was closer than I’d like, but 2-1 was three points. The final game before the Buddies was home to bottom club Pollok. With the help of two embarrassing own goals, we coasted to a 3-0 win.

So three wins and a draw from four winnable games – decent. The run has put us in a positive frame of mind for the next match. The Buddies haven’t won in six matches (all Premiership). Could we pull off the giant-killing act of the millennium?

With many of our West of Scotland rivals being near Paisley, first we dropped off by Love Street to pay respects to an honourable old stadium.

lovest.png.daa65f16254d840abb39884dd7648b78.png

We then went on to St. Mirren’s new stadium – much bigger than Ross County’s, making it the biggest venue we’d ever played at against the biggest opposition the club had ever met in its history.

stmirrennew.png.11f40b332cb2da0222ba08359144cb06.png

There were nerves. I made a careful note of how the players were reacting, causing me to alter the team sheet. Geegan was shaking whereas 16-year-old Parker looked cool, so he went in goal. Gangster Barrientos was shaking – but he has no replacement, so I tried to diffuse his terror with some bad humour. Ritchie and Yiu Yiu Man also had the fear – benched. The rest seemed okay. Tactics – should we ‘park the bus’. No, the players don’t know how to; besides, given we have no chance, we might as well go down amongst plaudits and with our dignity intact.

Scottish FA Cup – Fourth round. Here we go!

There we went.

In front of 9,500 fans, we went down fighting, but we went down 0-4.

Actually, that's not true, There was no fight in us, Parker in goal excepted. 0.03 xG from one off-target shot. We basically froze in front of the cameras. Hey, silver lining, with the transfer window shutting this week, there could have been last-minute chaos if the scouts and TV audience had been impressed. Still, it was an experience no one can take away from us. History has been made. And the money – we more than paid for the training facility upgrade at the Pickaquoy over 90 minutes.

finance2.thumb.png.0b52f0f607b0d16864d20e6f4b200977.png

Watched the draw on TV. St. Mirren are away to Hearts. Now that would’ve been huge! Feet back on the ground, I also logged in to catch our league's results. We've had a very good month

janres.thumb.png.56ccc478b08e1d4b242c205319c3256a.png

jantab.png.76a78492b1d3b0208f80d30894e8171a.png

Fifth! I would never have imagined it. And now we are 100% focused on the league - oh, sorry, I forgot that stupid Junior Cup. The leftovers can take care of that.  Beith and BSC won't be stopped, but another third place? Petershill are looking good and a seven point gap is a chasm, but we might as well have a go!

Our Yemeni Ahmad Kurma and his family have not settled in Kirkwall, struggling with the language and food, and craving Yemeni society. They’ve decided to relocate to Edinburgh where there is a community, and open a café. We wish him the best.

Our run in the Scottish Cup has been causing a flurry of activity behind the scenes. We’ve demonstrated that as a club we can be run sustainably and even profitably with a combination of the luck of the draw and the right management. Astrid insists there are positive debates with the UN, Scottish parliament and Orkney council rooms about orchestrating a buy-out and replacing the board with fan ownership – with key ‘fans’ on the board being UN and Scottish government appointees. Sounds a bit dodgy to me, but Astrid says it’s all above board – and it would bring investment to make the Project higher profile in the international arena, as the UN and various national political bodies around the world see it as a vital ingredient in managing global refugee crises. It does however require of Astrid and myself a full commitment for the long term. For the ‘optics’ I’ll continue to work without a salary, but I am assured Ill ‘be taken care of’.

Davidson has a permanent look of embarrassment on his face, knowing he’s lost control of the board. He’s waving through every request for a coaching course as well as my big demands in an attempt to look generous with the budget, but it’s fooling no one. Well, not ‘no one’ – the local business community to put him in place feel he’s playing that ‘optics’ game well enough and they’re engaged in a game of ‘negotiations’ with UN people. Something’s on the cards – Astrid can’t read them just at the moment. What she does know is that now we’re out of the big cup, accountants have a solid grasp of our finances now and to the end of the season. A proposal is not far away.

Hilarious, Ally me old son. We all know you hate me, you utter puppet :lol:

boarda.thumb.png.889aa9482142f907293c4b53e82dad0c.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

FEBRUARY

Confidence was still high after the drubbing by St. Mirren, so the same lads went back into league action, although with Ritchie and Yiu Yiu restored to the starting line-up. We had ten league games to win, starting with Port Glasgow. Whilst morale was high, the previous game did have an effect; We went in front after four minutes, and for the rest of the game there was a certain lack of motivation to build on it. Fortunately, our opponents lacked inspiration and the game finished 1-0 to us.

The team we were trying to chase down in third place, Petershill were our next opponents. That felt like a must-win, and we’d have to play a heck of a lot better to get anything out of it. I must have geed them up a bit too much. Kevin Flett got overexcited and had himself sent off, whereupon Petershill found all our gaps and never let us near the ball. A 0-3 loss feels like it’s over. They’re eight points ahead with eight games to go. I don’t see them slipping up.

Another game of few clear cut chances against Whiteletts Victoria was rescued by Yiu Yiu with a 90th minute winner and an undeserved 1-0 victory. Parker in goal deserves the plaudits.

We had a cup tie at Blantyre Victoria.

blantyrevics.png.0dfaa0684ce5420843ae81a85616cbda.png

They beat us back in’27, but only 1-2.  They were on a six-match losing streak in the league above us, and only scraped through their Junior Cup tie on penalties. They were there for the taking if we played well enough.

But we didn’t. We were dreadful. Another game where we had one tame off-target shot in the game. Goals have really dried up since we changed formations. A 0-3 humiliation ends our shot at glory for this season.

febres.thumb.png.99812263677eabbfc7425f93983fa2b7.png

febtab.png.c22e4d7d9b1796a6972d5a2695d73a10.png

That we're in fourth and look good poses me a severe problem. About half the games left are ones we should win. The other half are very tricky. BSC and Petershill both have easier run-ins. We'll not reach third, but the fans will expect us to give it a right go. It will be fruitless. What would be much more useful is if I tore up this tactic and either reverted to the one the fans dislike, or try something new. That would cost us points and I fear the fans wouldn't see the merits. And right now I have to appease the fans if a fan-'led' group is about to take over the club!

I suppose that's the answer - give them what they want, a seemingly heroic effort to fail to get promoted, whilst all the time secretly dreaming for a killer intake in a month!

Edited by phnompenhandy

MARCH

Our first match was at Rutherglen Glencairn.

rutherglenglencairn.png.cfefa481bd51f6b907ad0f5b3b7c494b.png

I freshened things up – changed personnel and tweaked tactics including going with a more positive mentality. The result: goals – at both ends. We edged it 3-2 with a brace from a restored Golabek.

The next Saturday we travelled to Ardrossan Winton Rovers.

wintonrovers.png.2b5f1df1018163ea3faf421477ec32d1.png

Just before the plane took off, Astrid called in a state of great excitement. The new academy intake had arrived. “They’re great! And so many strikers – you’ll need to play two – maybe three up top!” Leave the tactics to me, love. I said I’d be in first thing Monday to run the rule over them.

On the one hand, the 1-4 loss was very disappointing, as was the performance.  On the other hand, some of these silly asses have just played themselves out of the squad and out of the club. The way Astrid was talking, the academy kids will walk straight into the sorry team, and the fans will expect that.

Over Monday to Wednesday I spent whole days with the new kids. Alas, Astrid had gotten herself over-excited. The goalkeeper looks sharp, and two strikers are definitely better than any we have – on current form, anyway. There are a couple of possible backup defenders. Overall, I only had nine sign forms, with seven released.

Then Astrid passed on information that she’s just received – the asylum-seeking youths were on their way – three of them. Three? She explained that when new investment kicks in in the summer, we’ll reap the benefits, until then this is all we get. It’s just as well we’re missing out on promotion then!

Against Cumbernauld United, five hungry kids got debuts, and I tried centre back Aung Myo Naing in defensive midfield. And we won! We weren’t very good, but new keeper skinner won Player of the Match and exciting striker Robertson got the goal with our only shot on target in a 1-0 victory. Best of all worlds there.

marres.thumb.png.f7dcbe13a3713196bfdc5168cdd9400c.png

martab.png.6231bd067be939fd21301f39083f4eb7.png

BSC have lost their way; Winton are unstoppable. Mathematically, we're still in it, or so the fans insist.

intake kept.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

Players being released as they never made the grade:

Cameron Penny, striker.

1 appearance, 0 goals.

Jordan McKinnon, striker.

With us for 4 years, made 30 appearances, scored 5 goals. Got progressively worse every year.

Will Horne, striker. Also with us for 4 years. Made 26 appearances and scored 7 goals. Most of the goals came in his first year; since then he’s mostly underachieved.

David Golabek, striker.  40 appearances, 13 goals. Been with us for 2 seasons. Was great last year, very poor this (only 3 goals, two of which were in his last game). Awkwardly, his brother Jimmy has just joined us.

Greg Elliott and Kevin Beveridge, midfielders. Both were in last year’s intake and both played 3 games for the first team. They didn’t offer much, and now I’m going to change the formation to move the midfielders back to defensive midfield, there’s no place for them.

John Stewart, defender. 31 appearances, one goal. He was with us for 4 years and never established himself as a first-choice defender. He had plenty of opportunities but was never good enough. His younger brother Iain survives the cull.

Luke Geegan, goalkeeper. 36 appearances, conceded 43 goals, 12 clean sheets. In 4 seasons, he’s never established himself as the #1 keeper although played about 10 games per season. The new academy kid will be my first choice next season, and Luke is too old for the Under 18s now. The other two keepers can float between first team bench and Under 18s.

All the asylum-seekers stay, so with the three new arrivals, we will have 14, the most we’ve ever had in one squad. The squad is a manageable 36.

Edited by phnompenhandy

The three new 'fugess -

The two central defenders could be a serious upgrade, once their language skills are adequate

carranza.thumb.png.53aaa481574457feb003902c08482c74.png

furey.thumb.png.074e3950a17417658cda702e2233d6af.png

The third guy I'd like to utilise as a playmaker. Barakat, the Yemeni, was my great hope last year, but he's severely underperformed due to poor language skills

ataya.thumb.png.211baf77ac97aaae3cb0c823d8a9a2f4.png

Some of the local boys: most are like this lad - there's potential there, but they lack ambition and drive

murphy.thumb.png.1aa31420467e1770e08f4cfacc5031b2.png

There are two immediate exceptions, however. This kid who got Player of the Match on his debut:

skinner.thumb.png.528119ba5538dca2abecf22ca885cf7a.png

And the one we're all excited about, seeing him as THE great hope of the club (until he's inevitably poached), potentially the greatest footballer from Orkney in recent times:

robertson.thumb.png.8314d92b4108bba7c8da7ae4e2df2090.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

As I say, the maths (and the fans) say - go for it!

run-in.thumb.png.e74de603373194198f2308e0e7d09620.png

But really?

Petershill - home and hosed. Just need one more win with a cushy run-in.

BSC - really jammy last four games; even with their form, they must pick up some points. Maybe not enough to hang on to 3rd.

Winton Rovers - phenomenal form and the easiest run-in. Where are they going to drop points?

Us - that game at Beith looks a killer, but does their last result suggest they've donned the flip-flops? We'd need to win all 4 and hope against hope that both the teams above us implode.

APRIL

Three new lads in central defence – inject a bit of pace, push up show some positivity and aggression. Played good football at last, steamrollering Neilston 3-0. BSC lost – we can catch them, but the others all did fine.

We hosted Largs Thistle next. The same squad earned the right to go again. Largs had lost a semi-final in midweek and were tired. They defender resolutely enough, but our heavy metal football ultimately overwhelmed them and we picked up three more points in a 1-0 win. Winton finally lost, but BSC actually won, leaving us two points shy. Part of me was wondering ‘what if’ these lads had arrived two weeks earlier and we’d beaten Winton – destiny would be in our hands.

As Beith Juniors lifted the trophy, it was suddenly looking like if we could go there and win, horizons might open. We went again ….

beith2-2.png.428784257d81f566894d39b276a81dad.png

What drama! A superb game of football and a 94th minute penalty equaliser. But look behind - Petershill are by now promoted, but BSC and Winton both drew. That puts Winton out of the race, but if we beat Bonnyton Thistle AND BSC lose on the last day .....

Surely not again :eek:

Well well well ....

In front of a bumper crowd now used to last day dramas, we didn't go out to entertain, but to do what had to be done to secure three points. We were cautious, we took the sting out of the game, we played a by now sparingly used Ritchie up top as he was the club's most influential player and knew what this meant.

At half time there had been no goals and few chances. We checked in on BSC - they were losing.

Second half - early doors we won a penalty, which our Tibetan midfielder Dendup coolly converted - after hitting the post. But just when we thought we were in control, Bonnyton won themselves a penalty when Millar mistimed a tackle on the hour mark. Disaster! Were we about to go so close only to lose it all now? NO! Skinner saved it! He saved more than the penalty - it wasn't club hero Ritchie who delivered, it was a 15-year-old lad who'd only joined us a month ago.

HEEEEEERRREEEE's JOHNIE!!!

johnie.thumb.png.37338f960cc93bb74236786848056fc2.png

BSC must have heard - they were chasing their equaliser, and with the keeper up for a corner, they conceded a second in stoppage time. It wasn't a promotion on goals scored this time, but the drama was just as ridiculous. We're up! Squeezed into the last promotion spot on the final day. Again!

1-0bonny.png.7fcacbac694d7b6b08a272b2ed87442b.png

Edited by phnompenhandy

How it ended

aprres.thumb.png.1e069ab39acd1cafd1c2418626ff95fd.png

Those clean sheets since Skinner took over in goal, and we changed our tactics. It seems the enormous gamble to change tactics when we did, and the arrival of the intake at JUST the right moment, brought us an impossible prize.

howitended.thumb.png.c4ba8889a6a14e765656b7a97b2275f5.png

I left the lads popping their bottles of grape juice as I slipped away for a lie down. I can't quite process this right now - are we ready for this?

Edited by phnompenhandy

It took me a fortnight to emerge from my comatose state, but when I did, Astrid turned up to bring me up to date. It seems nobody wants to leave this Project now

staffrenew.thumb.png.4137f1a21bbf76aa4854644f43ba175e.png

Even young Kyle - who's not so young any more; he's graduated and has a handsomely-paid job in Finance in the City is still analysing opposition clubs' data for us for just minimal laptop upgrade expenses.

And our players - the tactics will change, but this XI will all be playing for us next season (assuming they don't jump out the window)

bestlineup.thumb.png.e58e9da068754926dfe52bffd59bbb94.png

That brings us to the BIG news. It seems there's been some kind of 'quiet coup' in the boardroom. The Spiv and his backers were concerned about 'optics' - about not losing face, and a decision has been made to retain him as chairman in name and face only. He will take no part in decision-making, merely relating the board's decisions to the public.  Carol will be active, and other board members Astrid mention but whose names mean nothing to me will be involved behind the scenes. The key point is that these people have access to grants, endowments, investments and the like. I was waiting for Astrid to utter the 'T' word, but it eventually became clear this is no tycoon or rich benefactor takeover; nevertheless, we can expect further investment in facilities upgrades

These things take time, of course.  I'm responsible for managing the squad through the upcoming season and surviving in the Premier Division next season. The board say it won't be a disaster if we come back down, as the overall trajectory is positive.

MAY

Highland Watch and Around the Nation

Celtic won the domestic treble, as Ross County finished 9th in the Premiership. Inverness Caley finished a comfortable 7th on their return to the Championship, and Cove Rangers were a midtable 6th in League One. Incidentally, Johnstone Burgh finished bottom. They tried to give me a job at £500 a week when they saw they were in trouble. 'Sorry love, you’re just not my sort!' I’m thrilled to tell you that Highland League champions Brora Rangers finally got their long overdue promotion to the SPFL after defeating moneybags Broomhill and then Annan in the play-offs. At the other end, Turriff United survived a play-off against a Lossiemouth trying to get back. They saw off North Caledonian League winners Loch Ness FC on the way. In that league, Orkney and Tullibody finished midtable, while Dingwall FC go back down, replaced by Burghead Thistle. Berwick Rangers returned to the Lowland League, meaning runaway West of Scotland Premier League winners Bellshill go nowhere.

Struggling for most of the season and finally finishing midtable was North West Skye. Being well ahead of us in terms of reputation and recruitment, if they’ve hit a glass ceiling, that’s very relevant to us. Still, we get to meet them next season. Below us, Westside and Stornoways Athletic and United stalled, whilst Harris FC took their turn to win Division Four. The likes of Tongue United, Kirkwalls Rovers and Hotspurs are firmly in the Highland Amateur circuit.

Hello Ally, nice to see you. What have you brought me here?

tickets.thumb.png.b02c4e4067fed411cae93bcd81d90245.png

Ticket prices rise a little, and projected earnings are down ... 86% ???? Are you sure? You don't much like your new overlords, do you, huh?

Edited by phnompenhandy

Wow, 2 nail biting last day promotions! I'm not sure I would be able to handle it!

You're really flying up the leagues now, seems as if each year you don't seemingly weaken with the departures and the arrivals of some sub-par youths.

One question, as you're in the West of Scotland setup, in real life this would be a nightmare, but how is the club coping with the travel? Do you notice it effect the players? I'm not actually sure how much the game takes travel into consideration. And the costs - I know you have a healthy balance now thanks to your cup exploits, but what sort of costs are you getting each month for the countless times you have to go down south and back?

8 hours ago, Jamstock said:

Wow, 2 nail biting last day promotions! I'm not sure I would be able to handle it!

You're really flying up the leagues now, seems as if each year you don't seemingly weaken with the departures and the arrivals of some sub-par youths.

One question, as you're in the West of Scotland setup, in real life this would be a nightmare, but how is the club coping with the travel? Do you notice it effect the players? I'm not actually sure how much the game takes travel into consideration. And the costs - I know you have a healthy balance now thanks to your cup exploits, but what sort of costs are you getting each month for the countless times you have to go down south and back?

I built that into the narrative. I think it was in the summer when we got promoted to the WoS setup, our board in conjunction with Orkney council, the Scottish parliament and the UNHRC did a deal with Loganair, so we fly to Glasgow Airport. Obviously, 'the game' doesn't know that! Apart from a phase when the Spiv was dishing out fat contracts to his mates, our greatest monthly expense is usually travel expenses, but it's still a lot lower than should be realistic.

I'm actually knee deep in th editor right now, doing a new pyramid using this db as a basis, and I've gotten the Kirkwall teams in the Northern (Highland) structure. Whew!

On 17/12/2023 at 16:52, phnompenhandy said:

JULY - PRESEASON

I do wonder about Astrid sometimes

attitude.png.285c2ec0680079d53171cc6f108a55e5.png

That's nice dear, but I've just been having a word -

worstatt.png.4dc1da67e21ab4231ec95f15f9023b4d.png

Must just be me, eh?

They're not the same thing though. 

Just because he is ambitious doesn't mean that his training performances will be good. Maybe have a look at other morale issues, (or just beat him with a big stick).

16 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

They're not the same thing though. 

Just because he is ambitious doesn't mean that his training performances will be good. Maybe have a look at other morale issues, (or just beat him with a big stick).

Yeh, but since she's very encouraged by him at the same time as I'm very disappointed, it kinda reflects on me! :ackter:

Please excuse the long hiatus fellas - I'm still here.

Three chief reasons for this -

1. My wife had been away on a two-week business trip in Japan, preparing for our prime minister's visit, so I had zero distraction all that time. She's back now.

2. Christmas

3. I've still be busy with FM though - I've been b**ls-deep in the fickle editor having a hell of a time. I've been carrying the idea for a new save - an integrated Britain & Ireland non-Brexit alternative universe where regional divisions gradually merge so that clubs from the 5 nations eventually end up in the same leagues, and 'cross-fertilizing' in cup tournaments. I was going for the same 13 tiers; now I'm minded to start from scratch and go down to 20 tiers - but a maximum of 7 divisions per tier, so still a zippy file. It would involve exploring lovely rural villages across Britain and Ireland (I'm tempted to start in Ireland myself) and would be very suitable for a journeyman save. That's IF the bleedin' editor will co-operate in the end. If I do somehow get it up and running, is anyone interested in running parallel threads again?

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Please excuse the long hiatus fellas - I'm still here.

Glad to hear it and no need to apologise.

1. My wife had been away on a two-week business trip in Japan, preparing for our prime minister's visit, so I had zero distraction all that time. She's back now.

I hear you but I’m saying nothing 🤐

Well, I get you, I always get more FM time when my wife’s not about.

2. Christmas

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 🎅🏼🎄

3. I've still be busy with FM though - I've been b**ls-deep in the fickle editor having a hell of a time. I've been carrying the idea for a new save - an integrated Britain & Ireland non-Brexit alternative universe where regional divisions gradually merge so that clubs from the 5 nations eventually end up in the same leagues, and 'cross-fertilizing' in cup tournaments. I was going for the same 13 tiers; now I'm minded to start from scratch and go down to 20 tiers - but a maximum of 7 divisions per tier, so still a zippy file. It would involve exploring lovely rural villages across Britain and Ireland (I'm tempted to start in Ireland myself) and would be very suitable for a journeyman save. That's IF the bleedin' editor will co-operate in the end. If I do somehow get it up and running, is anyone interested in running parallel threads again?

Sounds very interesting and intriguing!

The last voyage of MV Thorfinn

MVThorfinnfarewelltothatsave.jpg.392cbd70c4a099e15129fd99ce9afecd.jpg

This story has come to an end. I left it for too long and lost the immersion. I only meant to take a day off to create a database for a future save, but the editor got the better of me, wasting a week of my life. They say computer programmes are logical – I find them more like arguing with a woman – you can never win. After a gazillion hours of the editor liking my wares, when I do the final verification, it rejects me. It gives me a reason and I spend hours fixing it. Then it finds another reason, and another; like whack-a-mole, you never get to the end of it.

So I’ve gone for the less ambitious option – using better people than me’s databases of lower leagues in Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Keeping the 13-tier Scotland db, I'm adding 9-tier and 7-tier Welsh ones. I'm excited with the way it's shaping up. I'll be taking a quite different approach - a slower, deeper week-by-week narration but keeping the location and grounds photos and expanding into Ireland and Wales. I'll also be using the Mustermann Iconic skin - which doesn't show attribute numbers and forces you into evaluating player performances.

I still have some work to do - customising the skin I'll be using if I can integrate favourite bit from a couple of other skins, shipping in some obscure clubs with delightful names into very low leagues, and changing some tournament names to get rid of ugly sponsor names in favour of mythical and historical concepts. It might take two or three days, but I'll be back.

Coming shortly, a Journeyman adventure

Odysseus.jpg.30efc3d1ef509bad858e753002c71d84.jpg

I understand your decision to can it @phnompenhandy, but you had a hell of a ride and I completely get what you mean. You step away from a save for a few days and all of a sudden you can't get back into it, its happened more times to me then I care to mention. Me? I'm still waiting on Mozza's final DB release (my guess being the xmas break has put that on hold sadly), so without losing this period of free time without playing some serious FM, I'm exploring alternative saves that I can keep on the back burner through the rest of the cycle. I have experimented with a Yorkshire independent nation database with its own footballing pyramid, but I think the fantasy element of the save is putting me off completely committing to a save in it. I would recommend anyone taking a look at it, its a fine piece of work and worth simming through a few years to see how they would get on. Its on the steam workshop. 

Hope you've had a fab christmas!

5 hours ago, Jamstock said:

I understand your decision to can it @phnompenhandy, but you had a hell of a ride and I completely get what you mean. You step away from a save for a few days and all of a sudden you can't get back into it, its happened more times to me then I care to mention. Me? I'm still waiting on Mozza's final DB release (my guess being the xmas break has put that on hold sadly), so without losing this period of free time without playing some serious FM, I'm exploring alternative saves that I can keep on the back burner through the rest of the cycle. I have experimented with a Yorkshire independent nation database with its own footballing pyramid, but I think the fantasy element of the save is putting me off completely committing to a save in it. I would recommend anyone taking a look at it, its a fine piece of work and worth simming through a few years to see how they would get on. Its on the steam workshop. 

Hope you've had a fab christmas!

That's a thought. I'm excited about adding Ireland and Wales lower leagues to Scotland, and I'm intending to have England L1-6 as 'background noise' until maybe 15 years into the save when it becomes a nation to manage in, but Yorkshire - and a Cornwall db could work. I'll look into it.

EDIT: Not Cornwall - that one takes teams from Wales and Ireland. Yorks looks good, but I'm with you on some element of realism, so I'll keep the Eng 1-6 as is. For me, the other nations are realistic in the sense that they have real leagues, but just add access to them from lower down. The one thing I am fiddling with is changing tournament names to ones that have historical and cultural significance rather than tacky modern brands.

I'm currently going with the restriction of staying two years per club (or maybe two promotions). Then I have to resign to 'further my career'. But wherever I go, either I stick with academy-only, or maybe do a DoF-only gets involved in transfers. DoF's ought to be suitably awful at lower league, so I'll experiment in tests with that.

Edited by phnompenhandy

22 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

This story has come to an end.

That's a shame, @phnompenhandy... but, if you're no longer feeling it and have lost the immersion then I understand. I've been there myself.

Thanks for sharing, it's been a very enjoyable ride.

22 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Coming shortly, a Journeyman adventure

Looking forward to it!