IWBs and IFBs

Is the match engine geared around these now?

Every AI team seems to play with them now and I’m struggling like hell to keep clean sheets when I play with traditional full backs/ wing backs - there just seems to be too much space for the AI to exploit, in front of the back 4/ the gaps between centre backs and full backs. 

45 minutes ago, Hoofenballen said:

I find if you ask your FB/WBs to sit narrower but then run wide/run inside when in possession you get the best of both worlds for covering space in front of the defensive line and for not leaving space in the half spaces

Those settings have nothing to do with defense? I don't have sit narrower enabled, in fact, I use wing backs and they cover the axle a lot defensively, if anything it has to do with closing down not where you position them (which is an offensive instruction anyway).

13 hours ago, Poison said:

Those settings have nothing to do with defense? I don't have sit narrower enabled, in fact, I use wing backs and they cover the axle a lot defensively, if anything it has to do with closing down not where you position them (which is an offensive instruction anyway).

I think the point is that by having the FB sit narrow, you're more compact in possession which translates to the defensive phase of play. 

By asking them to run wide with the ball the FB(s) will can still provide natural width down his side of the pitch. 

On 29/11/2023 at 23:12, Mst82 said:

Every AI team seems to play with them now and I’m struggling like hell to keep clean sheets when I play with traditional full backs/ wing backs - there just seems to be too much space for the AI to exploit, in front of the back 4/ the gaps between centre backs and full backs. 

I imagine it's going to be a bit similar to like when they first released WCB's into the wild. With IFB/IWB, I would recommend focusing play down the side of the IWB. It tends to be the weak point in these formations, particularly on the break. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 01/12/2023 at 11:52, Hoofenballen said:

I find if you ask your FB/WBs to sit narrower but then run wide/run inside when in possession you get the best of both worlds for covering space in front of the defensive line and for not leaving space in the half spaces

This has completely changed the dynamic of my current tactic. So simple and obvious really but something I hadn’t tried. The full backs cutting in frees up my wingers brilliantly. Cheers man 👍🏼

I had real trouble with a 4-3-3 with standard full/wing backs because the DM would struggle to find a pass into the CMs and get swarmed, I had to put in IWB in to give him another option in deep midfield. Have switched to a 4-2-3-1 to see if that works any better but to be honest I'm not very happy about it

On 30/11/2023 at 18:12, Mst82 said:

I find I need to use one on at least one side. Playing with two full-backs (even if you use a half-back) leaks too many goals. 

Unfortunately the opposite side FB doesn't tuck in enough as per real life as far as I can tell

I tried the FB-su, with added PI cut inside, stay eider, close down more.

So far I do like them. They bring less compression as IWB-de, they offer more initial width in build up.
Still early but there is potencial.
image.png.042dbf45ecddc1ce3e1fd32dfb4349c7.png

On 29/11/2023 at 23:12, Mst82 said:

I think my current concern with the IFB/IWB is not in how they play, but that almost every AI manager who runs a back 4 utilizes them (even after the latest update). IRL you do see Pep's influence on the football pyramid, but the number of teams who actually run an IWB + IFB combo is quite low still. It would be nice to see less cookie cutter AI.  

Hopefully they can tone it down a bit by the winter update. 

On a separate note, how has the AI faired in terms of "smarter transfers" this year in your save? My own save is a rather small sample size to draw conclusions about a change in quality. On previous years the difficult of my save often felt dependent on City's transfer spend. The year before Haaland joined City IRL they signed Haaland, Vini jr & Mbappe which was great fun to play against. On my FM save last year they went to buy a hot dog instead and I got bored pretty quick. 

Edited by Cloud9

I'm finding the reduction of the high-scoring matches correlates to a tactical tweak. When I played a Back 4 with support/attack wingbacks, tons of goals were going in both ends. Making one fullback an IWB on defend duty has tightened things up at the back a lot, at the expense of scoring so many, but the difference at the back is far more prominent than the slightly blunter attack.