How does player reputation work?

So there's a Swiss player called Didier Dias in my save that's consistently the most reputable player in the world for 4 years now (between 21-24yo). He's a CM/CAM for AC Milan with 195CA (and 195PA).

He was in my team for 2 years, 1 on loan and one in my first team while he was still developping and then we won the CL but he wasn't the most important player on my team, there were 3 players more important in that CL winning team. 

After that I sold him to Milan for 80mil. He's now at Milan for 4 years, but only in the last year he won his first Serie A title with Milan, and they're gonna do it again this year. But he's a midfielder so he's never the top scorer of his team, he doesn't even get the most assists in his own team, let alone the Serie A.

There's 2 strikers in the Premier League who are better than him, one in Tottenham and one in Chelsea, in my current club (Atlético) I have the current generation's Messi (199CA striker who I use as a F9), my player won the last 2 Ballon D'Or's, Didier Dias was only 3rd in the Ballon D'Or rankings in one year, 3 years ago, yet he stays consistently on top as the player with the highest reputation (both world, home and current reputation I believe). Milan only went to a single CL semi final in the 4 years he played at Milan and usually Milan is out in the R16 or QF thanks to a bad draw.

Meanwhile with Chelsea's top striker, they've won a CL and 5 EPL's in a row. He got in the top 3 Ballon D'or rankings 3 times but never won it. Yet this guy's world reputation is behind 9 other players, 7 of which are worse than him and the 2 others are my Messi and the Tottenham striker who has the same CA.

Does Didier Dias just have a youtube channel or something so he has a large fanbase? Ofcourse he's an incredible player, just going from CA he's a top 5 player in the world, but to stay so consistently on top in terms of World Reputation when you don't win too much is weird to me. He does have 19 long shots though, does he just score some screamers now and then that go viral on the internet??