Free player - Offers from CPU

Does anybody have the same problem? 

Just made an offer for a free player on my shortlist. I trialed him in August and put him on a shortlist. 

When I just offer him a contract in November (3 months later!), he instantly received offers from 3 other clubs. This has happened to me all the time, missing out on a lot of players.

But the most frustrating thing is that they've had zero offers in 3 months and as soon as I put in an offer, other teams submit one as well. 

Is this a general thing or a bug?

It's been like this for ages. I don't use a shortlist but as soon as you offer a player a contract or but in a transfer bid for a player he automatically gets added to the shortlist. I've found that if I immediately remove him from the shortlist other clubs do not then make competing offers.

Basically whenever you make an offer their agent will tout your offer around and go "look, last chance or this guy is signing with this other team!" and the AI takes the bait.

The AI is probably coded to have some tipping point of interest on where they offer a contract so they will have a bunch of players they are interested in, but not over the tipping point, until somebody makes an offer and pushes things over said tipping point. At which point they suddenly make an offer in the fear of losing a potentially signing, despite staring at him for 3 months already and not considering him quite interesting enough to actually make a move prior to your offer.

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Basically whenever you make an offer their agent will tout your offer around and go "look, last chance or this guy is signing with this other team!" and the AI takes the bait.

The AI is probably coded to have some tipping point of interest on where they offer a contract so they will have a bunch of players they are interested in, but not over the tipping point, until somebody makes an offer and pushes things over said tipping point. At which point they suddenly make an offer in the fear of losing a potentially signing, despite staring at him for 3 months already and not considering him quite interesting enough to actually make a move prior to your offer.

That is alright, but he hasn't got any club interested in 3 months. And then the game is programmed to go ahead and let 3 other clubs put in a bid... that's kinda weird. 

If other clubs are interested, I completely understand what you said.

1 hour ago, Hovis Dexter said:

It's been like this for ages. I don't use a shortlist but as soon as you offer a player a contract or but in a transfer bid for a player he automatically gets added to the shortlist. I've found that if I immediately remove him from the shortlist other clubs do not then make competing offers.

So if I make a bid and then put him off my shortlist, other clubs aren't going to bid for the player?

14 hours ago, Brian said:

So if I make a bid and then put him off my shortlist, other clubs aren't going to bid for the player?

That is how I think it works … if you make a bid and immediately take him off the shortlist other clubs won’t make a bid.