FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so I'm only at July 27th 2008 and have £29 million left to spend. I won eveything I could last season and still only got £51mil to spend, but managed to sell a few and Budget Ajust to raise this to around £90 million or so.

Heres what I've bought so far, for how much and why;

Sergio Ramos - £32.5 million - Needed a RB but also a good back-up DC

Kazenga LuaLua - Free - He was free and looks a half-decent prospect

David De Gea - £625k - Decent future keeper

Igor Akinfeev - £15.75 million - Needed a first-team GK

Roberto Saldado - £10.25 million - Good back-up striker and young

Lucas Trecarichi - £1.5 million - Very good prospect for the future

Jimmy Briand - £13.25 million - A second back-up striker and young too, but still good enough to play alongside Saldado

Holger Blum - £350k - Regen, 15, 4*, enough said

Players sold, how much for and why;

Wes Brown - £11.5 million - With Ramos, Zaccardo, Passanen, Pique, Jonny Evans and even Sakho ahead of him, not in my plans

John O'Shea - £10 million - Same as Brown. No where to play him

Dong Fangzhou - £1 million - Obviously never good enough to play for Man Utd and about 10th in pecking order

Louis Saha - £6 million - About 6th in pecking order. Fleck and Saivet were ahead of him

Mikael Silvestre - £4 million - Never liked him and was good money for a 30 year old

I think I've solved my striker problem with Briand and Soldado as they are both worthy enough to wear the badge of Man Utd. Akinfeev is good for about 6-10 years and Enyeama will be a good back-up.

Line-up and Bench;

GK - Akinfeev

RB - Ramos

LB - Evra

CD - Vidic

CD - Ferdinand

DMC - Hargreaves

MR - Lulinha

ML - Ronaldo

AMC - Van der Vaart

ST - Rooney

ST - Tevez

S1 - Enyeama

S2 - Zaccardo

S3 - Pique

S4 - Fletcher

S5 - Nani

S6 - Fleck/Briand

S7 - Soldado

My tactics are explained on page 63 and everything else about last year.

What I want to know is where would you improve? I perhaps need a back-up LB now and maybe a back-up DMC, but apart from that I think I'm good.

So, suggestions?

just need a bit of advice on my team.

I am playing on the 8.0.2 patch and in my first season. Rooney was injured so i replaced him with Saha. He scored 3 goals in two games- two against both Liverpool and Arsenal along with two man of the match awards.

Do i replace Saha with Rooney because he is a better player, or keep Saha there for his current form. My other striker is Tevez, and he is scoring for fun so not a chance of replacing him.

Cheers in advance.

season 5 11/12

transfers in

8 regans 1.1m

transfers out

Quaresma 41m

Rafinha 11.25m

Foster 10m

bank balance £225m

Honours

league by 11 pts again from arsenal ( its still the big 4 at the mo)

community shield won 5-3 vs everton

euro super cup won 2-1 vs liverpool

world club cup won 2-1 vs urawa reds played my reserves

league cup won 1-0 vs west ham

champ league won 6-0 vs inter

lost the fa cup final to chelsea 2-1 icon_redface.gif robbed but can't complain

goals for next season...

will not buy anyone major unless its a great player

keep giving youth a chance i've got good regans in my 1st team already...

Honours

Prem League 08-09-10-11-12

FA cup 08-10

League cup 08-09-12

Community Shield 09-10-11

Champions League 09-10-11-12

Euro Super cup 09-10-11-12

Club world cup 09-10-11

Quick update after getting some playing time over the weekend.

First off FIFA Club World Cup

Semi Final

04142008191702as0.th.jpg

Final

04142008191743lh3.th.jpg

Lost to Man City away in the Carling Cup but followed it up with this great win:

04142008191843ts6.th.jpg

Currently in the January transfer window Padolski is available on a bosman but doesn't want to negotiate yet has he is recovering from a fractured skull!!

Current squad: (quite afew youngsters out on loan)

04142008192133ws1.th.jpg

Originally posted by pele10:

things still going good Adonis

Yeh for sure but do have a double header in the league coming up against Arsenal and a home game vs Chelsea who seem to be scoring for fun, just behind me in goals scored.

Could anyone advise me on the best instruction for your defense plz?

I find that my tactic is close to having the right balance but I am struggling with the defense. My tactic has been a gradual improvement on previous ones I have used. It mainly started this way due to the attacking talent I had.

http://files.filefront.com/4+1+2+2+1+A8+Man+Utd+Apr+9ta...10379;/fileinfo.html

It'd be great if anyone could try it and advise me of the shortcomings.

Results when using this tactic has been coming back from 3 goals down to win 4-3 in the CL final.

4-0 LFC

2-1 Arsenal

4-4 Arsenal

4-2 Chelsea

3-0 Arsenal

These results were in consecutive games and some of these featured a lot of my second string.

ist off i would lower team metallity to the 2nd notch of attacking...

untick playing offside as you have a deep defence line

unless you move the defensive line to no more the 12/13 on the slider

Originally posted by pele10:

ist off i would lower team metallity to the 2nd notch of attacking...

untick playing offside as you have a deep defence line

unless you move the defensive line to no more the 12/13 on the slider

Cheers Pele10.

Am not sure which individual team talk to adopt so its either 'have faith' or 'expect performance'. Or sometimes, 'expect better' or 'carry on from last time', when available.

Which is best, move the defense further up the field and keep the offside trap or should I leave it back and take off the offside trap?

i'm not a fan of the offside trap on fm games. but if you get the right setting you will get a few offsides without it ticked.

the way i look at it is "you are Manchester United and most teams will want to defend" so push up your defensive line to 11-12-13 some where around there because most of the match will be played in there half

team mentality is just to high imo for your defenders. i still would pick attacking mentality about 2nd notch of attacking should do it

After lowering the centre backs mentality I found that they would pass back the ball very often-or is it the way it always is?-which is the reason I left it as it is. But I will bring it down.So I put mentality to 2nd notch?

The other thing that I couldn't get around was that my CB would often leave their position therefore leaving a gap in the defense. I tried to put it as 'defend own area' but am still struggling (or maybe my team has yet to adapt to that).

i would start putting them on the bench mate they will be pushing for 1 st team within a season. i bring them on when the game is won and play them in the cups i aint bothered about winning.

7 subs makes it easy to do

3 game changing subs 3 youth 1 gk

Who would be the better options to sign for my Centre Midfield, I'd like ideally 2 out of any of these to play along-side Anderson and Carrick in a rotation system. I play a 4-4-2 and I'm about to start the 2nd season btw.

Javi Martinez

Miguel Veloso

Michael Johnson

Jon Obi Mikel

Tom Huddlestone

Lee Cattermole

Daniele De Rossi

Joao Moutinho

And if anyone else has any suggestions feel free.

Cheers

Cheers Pele10 I've already got Kroos in the Reserves, but judging from pre-season performances he isn't ready for a first team slot yet.

Just out of interest why Moutinho over Martinez? I've heard that Martinez is as good as Fabregas later in the game, and my scouts also rate him higher.

Cheers

both good don't get me wrong but i like two dmc/mc and two mc/amc. just give's a better balance.

tbh if you have Kroos i would use him for back up from season 2

i'm in 2013 if you want pics of the two players mate icon_wink.gif

If getting Bojan on loan, do not do end of season. More effective to say 12month loan, then keep checking if you can offer loan extension so that he stays with you constantly, including pre-season. I done this till end of contract, at which time he signed for me on a free icon_smile.gif

Too those that asked before, sorry I not put my tactics up to get. I do that in the near future. Stopped playing for awhile as had got through 6 seasons and decided to play other games (C&C icon_smile.gif ) Just came back and making my way through the 2012 European Championship with England then I sort tactic upload out.

But just had some good, and bad news. I'm both happy and said.

Happy : New 124,675 seater stadium being built and named after me icon_smile.gif

Sad : Leaving Old Trafford behind icon_frown.gif

season 12/13

transfers in

Ronaldinho 7.5m

Bojan 51m (jan)

5 youth players

60m in total

players out

Batuhan 9.75

Galvan 11.75

Tevez 25m ( arsenal he's 29 now)

Thiago 3.1

Vidic 1.75 ( getting old icon_rolleyes.gif)

finances

246m

community shield won 4-1 vs chelsea

euro super cup won 4-1 vs newcastle

world club cup lost 2-2 on pens Urawa reds

league cup and fa cup went out early. trusted my youth players to much

champions league won again 2-1 vs chelsea

league table see below

champsjx0.jpg

By snes73 at 2008-04-15

league was great because i drew 0-0 in my 1st game and lost 0-1 in my second

goals for new season

keep bringing youth players into my team, win the lot this season, no new transfers as of yet

Archived