FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Im going to start a new game now as Mancheser United. I`ve not really gotten into a game of late so hoping this will be different.

I`m going to play with the current side for the first season or two, hoping to bring in 1 or 2 first teamers, then a few youth signings to nature.I will keep you updated.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got back into my man u game, inconsistency has seen me in 3rd in the premiership 3 points behind chelsea with a game in hand and 5 behind arsenal with a game in hand, mid way through season.

Quarter final of FA Cup playing fringe and youth, going to slowly bring in a couple of youth players, next season my current crop of regens will see the cup games. I think my inconsistency is down to so many changes in the summer and constantly changing formation however ive found one and im sticking with it.

1st knockout round of Europe saw me at home against Real Madrid, at old trafford ive never been so nervous in my life about a game however my stars pulled it out of the bag. 35 minutes in 2-0 up and effectively killed off the game. I made 15 chances in first half before the first goal i thought i as going to pay for not putting any away. I was hoping for more after the 2nd just to give me breathing space and the Bernabeu (sp?) however an away goal should effectively kill of the tie.

Going to bed now so we will see how things pan out tommorrow.

1st season at United, havent made any transfer's apart from bojan on loan but thinkin of way's to keep him.

atm im 16 points clear of Chelsea with 8 games to go

got knocked out of the champions league in the group stages icon_mad.gif

knocked out of league cup to Chelsea (fluke:P)

knocked out by everton in F.a cup with a goal given offside in the 88th minute icon_mad.gif

in UEFA cup against athetico madrid in the quater finals..

trying to sign agurieo (dunno how to spell his name) any idea's of how to get him cheap?

Originally posted by croaker:

cant remeber his name but he is slovakian and plays for napoli a dm but looks more like a cm (like banega)

marek hamsik maybe??

Don't bother abt Hamzik. Sankhare makes for a better DM and CM. My main problem was his morale.

Assulin is a really good prospect.

Ready made ones..probably Rossi if you are playing Anderson right behind the strikers. as a AMC from midfield then am not sure. VDV always wants to move, so he shouldn't be too expensive.

Well I have just got to the end of August, First month of the season has gone pretty well.

Signed a Whole host of youngsters, These being Mamadou Sakho of PSG 425k

Georginiho wijnaldum of Feyanord 275k

raul rusescu of Unirea Urzicens 100k

sabrin Sburlea of FC Brasov 400k

Costel Pantilmon of Poli 1921 110k

Bogdan Stancu of Unirea Urzicens 1.6 million

Cristain Sarghi of Otelul 120k

Pablo Piatti of Estuadanties 250k

Shabir Isoufi Feyanord 210k

Then i have had five freindly`s before my trip to Wembley.

Drew 0-0 with Antwerp, A 2-0 win against Miami FC, Rooney scoring both goals. Then i had a trip to America for a 3 game tour. A 5-2 win against Colarado a Ronaldo hatrick and a goal each for Vidic and Anderson. Next we played FC Dallas were we won 2-0 goals from Anderson and Stancu. Our final freindly was against Chivas USA were i won 3-1 a goal from Ronaldo and a brace from Tevez.

Wembley was next, I went 4-0 up in the first half, a Rooney hatrick and a screamer from Nani, Then I got Rooney injured who is out for between a month or 2. Then I had Wes Brown sent off finnaly Ronaldo then took a knock, he was only out for a week. the game finished 4-3 after a onslaught from chelsea.

The four league games were as follows.

Blackburn 0-1 Manchester United --Ronaldo

Manchester United 1-1 West Ham --OG Ferdinand

Reading 2-2 Manchester United --Tevez, Ronaldo

Manchester United 3-0 Bolton--Vidic. Ronaldo 2

I've just started a game with Man Utd, and I've heard that changing formation too often can mean your players don't settle and find a rhythm.

I want to play a 4-4-2 at home in the league and a 4-2-3-1 away, and then a 4-3-3 in Europe, will they struggle to adjust and settle to these big changes in formation, or will they gradually get used to all of them.

Cheers

That should be fine. I rotate every 5 or so games to one of two formations; one a 4-4-2 and one a 4-3-2-1 (or 4-3-3 as it's considered by default here in the game) and I've been doing well. You may find that you'll need a new formation to freshen things up late into the season.

I'm in the 09/10 season of the first patch as utd. Why is it that no matter how well I do the board are always so negative?

I've won everything possible 3 seasons in a row now, and I'm only sticking with utd because, sadly enough, all the players have me as their "favoured personell" - and I've got quite a reputation for strirring arguments with rival managers. I just beat Arsenal 6-3 in the final of the F.A cup and the club said it would take a while for the fans to let me forget about conceding so many to rivals! Like wtf??? David Gill on this game is a total pr!ck!

Another thing I forgot to mention. Has anyone bought Obefami Martins from Newcastle? I bought him in my first season because Saha and Tevez were out for 3 and 8 months. In 09/10 season I just got an email informing me he is firm favourite for player of the year award. He's total quality. I play a 4-3-2-1 with him alone up front, supported by Rooner and Tevez, Rooney has scored more, but Martins is doing phenominal, has anyone else tried him?

my.php?image=manchesterunitedmanutdpcx1.png

About to start my 5th season, don't know who to buy or sell.

Here is my recent transfers...RVP=Free lol.

my.php?image=manchesterunitedtransfefc1.png

Can someone give me an advice on what to do..pretty lost here.

Here is my assistant report on my reserves, pretty decent regens too.

my.php?image=manchesterunitedreservezs6.png

my.php?image=manchesterunitedreservelr9.png

Originally posted by Sanityfm:

raydanielsinbox2gu3.th.png

Accepted a 24mil bid for him from barcelona he rejected look at what he said icon_smile.gif

Sanityfm: how much u paid for Traore? Arsenal wouldn't accept any offers for him. and I dnt wanna go too high.

and...y do u have Vassel on yr shortlist? icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Sanityfm:

If u cant see image right click, then view image

How come Van Den Borre has poor morale? I had the same problem with him on my game and eventually sold him. You should think of doing the same.

Just in November, my second season. 5 points clear from chelsea and have a game at hand. Played 13, won 13. Scored 35, conceded 4.

Not doing too bad eh? I have won EVERY game so far this season in all competitions, here's my latest 5 results:

3-0 win over Wigan

4-0 win over Norwich (Using my U18 squad and Saviola. Sav scored all 4)

5-2 win over Liverpool (That game accounts for half the goals I've conceded so far... barzagli scored 2 though so he balanced his game out lol)

1-0 win over Spartak Moscow

4-0 win over Suprs

I'm delighted so fa. Here's my team and current formation:

GK: Foster/Enyema (VDS in reserves, neither keeper is world class yet. Who should be number one of all 3?)

LB: Evra

RB: Alves

CB: Barzagli

LM: Nani

RM: Ronaldo

CM: Zapater

AMC:Rooney

AMC:Moutinho

ST: Aguero (Scored 9 in 11)

SUBS:

Enyeama

Veloso (My attempt to replace Pique, so far so good - any experiences with him?)

Hargreaves

Barnes

Adriano (Scored 13 in 10 starts. My CL striker as Aguero is cup tied)

Any suggestions on weaknesses in my team? All help appreciated.

Originally posted by vbnmu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanityfm:

If u cant see image right click, then view image

How come Van Den Borre has poor morale? I had the same problem with him on my game and eventually sold him. You should think of doing the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i barely just signed him in january window when alves was out injured for rest of season..i might just do that

Originally posted by vbnmu:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sanityfm:

raydanielsinbox2gu3.th.png

Accepted a 24mil bid for him from barcelona he rejected look at what he said icon_smile.gif

Sanityfm: how much u paid for Traore? Arsenal wouldn't accept any offers for him. and I dnt wanna go too high.

and...y do u have Vassel on yr shortlist? icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bought him for 16.5mil in first season..you know one of those times you have alot of money have no idea what to do with it..=bleh idk lol

Liverpool Manu would be the better games p.s i support neither.

Anyway the end of the season has arrived and brings dissapointing with an inch of joy.

Premiership started off badly with good twists, the side after so many additions werent playing fluently and thus i struggled to stick to a formation, however we were winning 1s and 2 nils and the odd draw unconvincing but there or there abouts. So we found ourslef at the halfway stage and the title was quickly into a three horse race, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man u (me) in position order. I found that my big problem was that everytime Arsenal and Chelsea slipped up my young squad seemed to buckle under the pressure. In the middle of the chase for the title we found our reserve team go out of the league cup and yet our reserve team reach the final of the FA Cup.

The champions league came about where we easily qualified for the latter stages where we found ourselves up against Real Madrid however home and then away 4-0 and 3-0 i think wins saw them off quite easily, however the next round saw us come up against old foes and my bogey team Inter, i had never been able to beat them in 3 games. However after watching them score first and thinking here goes again a quick switch of formaton saw me eventually finish the game 4-1 however i was al ittle nervy for the next game due to the away goal. And i had every right to be nervy as i got a walloping in the next game and lost 7-6 on aggregate i know why i lost as i was too conservative from the start but them omentum was already gained and i couldnt seem to stop them, so theres nothing i can do about that now apart from take revenge next year.

The race for the premiership was still gaining momentum and 1st place swang one way then the next, however in the end a few slip ups saw Arsenal take the title by 5 points.

However i was consolidated by a 4-1 win in the FA cup final against West Ham bringing my only title back to old trafford.

In summary better luck for me next year, i think we may bring a major trophy to old trafford.

Honours

Prem League 08-09-10-11-12-13-15-16-17-18

FA cup 08-10-15-16-18

League cup 08-09-11-12-14

Community Shield 09-10-11-14-16-17

Champions League 09-10-11-12-13-15-17-18

Euro Super cup 09-10-11-12-13-15-17

Club world cup 09-10-11-13-17

Originally posted by kopsy101:

as a liverpool fan i was happy manu got through because i believe liverpool will beat chelsea. the final would be a quality game, massive build-up and the atmosphere would be awe-stricking. cmon liverpool! icon_wink.gif

nowt to do with fm is it

How do you guys rate Gai Assulin? I have a chance to sign him for free right now... but my squad has a lot of depth in terms of youth already so I'll have a hard time during to give playing time for everyone. Current Squad:

GK: Foster, Hart

DL: Evra, Mattock

DC: Ferdinand, Vidic, Pique, Evans, Sakho (Free)

DR: Brown, Alves

ML: Ronaldo, Nani

MC: Veluso, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Thiago, wijnaldum (Free)

MR: Messi, Dos Santos (Free), Saivet (Free)

FC: Tevez, Rooney, Aguero, Baxter, Kondro

post pics of regens that replaced Rooney and Ronaldo ect later

Hi everybody, need some transfer recommendations. Need to bolster the squad because i have the League, FA cup, League cup semi final, and Champs league first round knockout all coming up so need some depth.

I am in the second season and it's late December coming up to the transfer window. I am still using Gary Neville as first choice right back and probably need to replace him in this window. Alves is at Arsenal although he would be the man I want. Although Corluka for city has said he wants a new challenge and Barca have offered 18M plus 'clauses'. So who should I get? Richards could be bought for like 30 mill but is he good enough for attacking purposes. I want someone attacking like Evra or Alves and preferably a 'natural' right back.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Jaswarbrick:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">post pics of regens that replaced Rooney and Ronaldo ect later

Hi everybody, need some transfer recommendations. Need to bolster the squad because i have the League, FA cup, League cup semi final, and Champs league first round knockout all coming up so need some depth.

I am in the second season and it's late December coming up to the transfer window. I am still using Gary Neville as first choice right back and probably need to replace him in this window. Alves is at Arsenal although he would be the man I want. Although Corluka for city has said he wants a new challenge and Barca have offered 18M plus 'clauses'. So who should I get? Richards could be bought for like 30 mill but is he good enough for attacking purposes. I want someone attacking like Evra or Alves and preferably a 'natural' right back.

Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

have you tried Hargreaves at right back?

Rafinia right back

Cheers lads. I signed Rafinha because I managed to get him for only 11 million from Valencia because of a release clause. Should I get a new keeper. Van Der Sar is probably past it now and Foster is Ok but not brilliant. I actually have a young keeper called Jesus Garcia who has a PA in the 180's but he's not ready 'till about 4 seasons.

Cheers again.

Good for you! Rafinha was a major target for me but I couldn't afford him in the first season.

For a keeper? Van Der Sar is fine for the first season. I'm in the second, and he's in my reserves. Foster is my main choice and my number two (hehe) is Enyeama. Neither are outstanding to be honest, but both will improve over time.

Originally posted by SneakyDave:

Good for you! Rafinha was a major target for me but I couldn't afford him in the first season.

For a keeper? Van Der Sar is fine for the first season. I'm in the second, and he's in my reserves. Foster is my main choice and my number two (hehe) is Enyeama. Neither are outstanding to be honest, but both will improve over time.

Guess I should point out that even though I don't consider too highly of either keeper, in the league I've conceded 6 goals in 20 games.

Originally posted by phantom1998:

How do you guys rate Gai Assulin? I have a chance to sign him for free right now... but my squad has a lot of depth in terms of youth already so I'll have a hard time during to give playing time for everyone. Current Squad:

GK: Foster, Hart

DL: Evra, Mattock

DC: Ferdinand, Vidic, Pique, Evans, Sakho (Free)

DR: Brown, Alves

ML: Ronaldo, Nani

MC: Veluso, Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson, Thiago, wijnaldum (Free)

MR: Messi, Dos Santos (Free), Saivet (Free)

FC: Tevez, Rooney, Aguero, Baxter, Kondro

Sign him, now! icon_smile.gif

He is quality. He can play in all 3 AM positions so am not sure what to do of him. He is also a wonderkid on my game! icon_smile.gif and thats through shelling him out on loan and a few odd games..

Just won the Premiership for my second year in a row, on April 4th, with 31 games played and 89 points. Won 29, Drawn 1 and Lost 1.

I conceded 13 and scored 72. I conceded 7 of those 13 in the last couple months, neither Foster or Enyeama are in great form. I've got a great defence in Evra, Alves, Barzagli, Vidic and Veloso in back-up.

Any idea on how good Foster will get, and likewise with Enyeama? I'm thinking of Boruc for just under 10m, as I've heard good things.

Any suggestions?

Fabian Brandy. 20 million pounds.

He's spent the last two seasons at other clubs or in my reserves, and yet I realised he's valued at 8m. Then Valencia offered 20. 20!

Does he end up being awesome? Coaches tell me he has potential to be a "good" player...? Anything more? This Valencia bid has me suspicious lol...

I'm coming to the end of my third season I feel I need a new world class target striker.

I already have Amauri but he is getting on a bit and I feel I could do better.

Money is no objective as I have a 170 million pound transfer budget.

This is the way my forward line is at the moment.

---------Aguero-----Amauri---------

--Rooney-------Tevez------Ronaldo--

Any suggestions?

Ok quick response needed.

Just had a 35 million pound offer accepted by Lyon for Benzema.

Is he worth it?

Bojan has a release clause of 36 million but wont accept a contract no mater what I offer him.

Originally posted by baz1:

Ok quick response needed.

Just had a 35 million pound offer accepted by Lyon for Benzema.

Is he worth it?

Bojan has a release clause of 36 million but wont accept a contract no mater what I offer him.

Rossi is very good. Any thoughts about getting him instead of Benzerma?

Originally posted by baz1:

I'm coming to the end of my third season I feel I need a new world class target striker.

I already have Amauri but he is getting on a bit and I feel I could do better.

Money is no objective as I have a 170 million pound transfer budget.

This is the way my forward line is at the moment.

---------Aguero-----Amauri---------

--Rooney-------Tevez------Ronaldo--

Any suggestions?

Adriano was awesome for me. Cost around 10m, and got 17 goals in 20 games, aswell as 10 assists.

I am using 4-4-1-1 flat with one farrow for ml up til the aml position and for the mr i have the arrow into the centre forward position.Tevez is the amc(slightly to the left) with arrow into the strike position and rooney is the right striker with swap position with tevez. So far its been working well. Rooney have 30 odd goals, tevez is less prolific with 10+ to 20 goals though he assist well. Ronaldo is emulating his real life feats. Now he is standing on 58 goals with a couple of games before the season ends.

first off ill be the first to say i absolutly hate man united im an arsenal fan lol but ill also be the first to say i respect what theyve done and the fact that they have an amazing team i am considering starting as united as ive never been them and want a different challenge due to being the usual chelsea, arsenal, man city, spurs, newy, barca etc. im on the 8.0.2 patch and i was wondering about finances could anyone give details as they'll have changed since the demo and through to the 8.0.2 patch

First season if set to Title Challenger and not Winner, you get around 10.5 million pounds to spend. It's a challenge, as Giggs, Foster, Neville, Hargreaves and more are injured at the start of the game, plus alot of positions need replacements.

I'd recommend it, although start of the third season, I might resign as I'm just coasting at this stage to be honest, with a transfer budget of 157m+.

End of first season. C.Ron at 66 goals in 60 games ^^

Wow. 3rd season budget == 157million ? thats gay.

I have a 50 odd million to spend for my 2nd season though and i have some problem with where to spend it. Not many positions i seen that needed significant upgrade.

I like Messi but he does not want to come. Thinking of offloading some fringe players for now. I want to make Man utd rich again.

Archived