FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by SneakyDave:

First season if set to Title Challenger and not Winner, you get around 10.5 million pounds to spend. It's a challenge, as Giggs, Foster, Neville, Hargreaves and more are injured at the start of the game, plus alot of positions need replacements.

I'd recommend it, although start of the third season, I might resign as I'm just coasting at this stage to be honest, with a transfer budget of 157m+.

thanks dave ima give it a try itll be a first for me too because ive never been man united before

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does any one else have a problem with "trouble at man utd"?

so far, carlos tevez disliked wijnaldum, so i sold tevez to real zara for £35m, then Gary Neville disliked Fabio although i don't use Neville i still sold Fabio for £5m to southampton, now i have Ronaldo disliking Ninis, who is showing potential, and Evra disliking Sakho who is class, may sell Evra as I just bought Taiwo.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this, and the annoying thing is all the players who dislike the others are all experienced pros. and I would rather not get rid of prized young assets or the world class players like Ronaldo obviously.

QX: No problem, hope you have fun man. be sure to update us if you go ahead with it!

Ger: Are you having these players tutor the other players? That's the only problem I can imagine. If you want to pick a good mentor for a player, check the coach report, where a mentor for the player will be suggested.

Alternatively, you can look up certain senior players under the Coach report and it will say they are "a complete role model", Rooney had this for a while. I haven't had too many problems so far, had one, but it was solved when the senior player was released and the young player was loaned to a Feeder club.

Now, on to me!

Start of the third season, I play a modified 4-4-2 against big teams and a 4-3-2-1 formation against the usual teams.

4-4-2:

GK: Avinfeev

LB: Evra

RB: Alves (Awesome signing, very consistant over the last year)

CB: Barzagli ©

CB: Vidic

LM: Silva (Yep, got him!)

RM: Ronaldo

CM: Zapater

CM: Moutinho

CF: Rooney

CF: Aguero

SUBS:

1)Foster

2)Evans

3)Hargreaves

4)Fernandez

5)Adriano

6)Mattock

7)Wijnaldum

In the 4-3-2-1 I play, Adriano plays up front as targetman, Aguero and Rooney play AM and Moutinho is on the bench.

Results so far:

4-4 vs Arsenal in the Community Shield, lost 3-1 on penalties. Damn that Ronaldo...

1-0 win over Wigan

2-2 Draw vs Chelsea

4-0 win over Liverpool

I'm happy with my team right now, here's a list of my summer signings and sales (Just the major ones):

IN:

Silva - 26m

Mattock - 4.5m

Akinfeev - 20m

Miguel Torren - 7.5m

OUT:

Barnes - 9m

Fangzhou - Free

Brown - 7.5m

Pizarro - 3m

Enyeama - 20m

Brandy - 20m

Buonanotte - 3m

Kalouda - 6m

Veloso - 20m

Stancu - 6.5m

Any weaknesses spotted in my team, any advice? Got a remaining transfer budget of 113m. I'd like some decent young players to add too,

I think the only one to be tutored by the person who they dislike, is the Gary Neville and Fabio scenario, I may try the loaning out to a feeder club to give them time apart and see if this makes them 'forget' that they dislike eachother.

QX: No problem, hope you have fun man. be sure to update us if you go ahead with it!

Ger: Are you having these players tutor the other players? That's the only problem I can imagine. If you want to pick a good mentor for a player, check the coach report, where a mentor for the player will be suggested.

Alternatively, you can look up certain senior players under the Coach report and it will say they are "a complete role model", Rooney had this for a while. I haven't had too many problems so far, had one, but it was solved when the senior player was released and the young player was loaned to a Feeder club.

Now, on to me!

Start of the third season, I play a modified 4-4-2 against big teams and a 4-3-2-1 formation against the usual teams.

4-4-2:

GK: Avinfeev

LB: Evra

RB: Alves (Awesome signing, very consistant over the last year)

CB: Barzagli ©

CB: Vidic

LM: Silva (Yep, got him!)

RM: Ronaldo

CM: Zapater

CM: Moutinho

CF: Rooney

CF: Aguero

SUBS:

1)Foster

2)Evans

3)Hargreaves

4)Fernandez

5)Adriano

6)Mattock

7)Wijnaldum

In the 4-3-2-1 I play, Adriano plays up front as targetman, Aguero and Rooney play AM and Moutinho is on the bench.

Results so far:

4-4 vs Arsenal in the Community Shield, lost 3-1 on penalties. Damn that Ronaldo...

1-0 win over Wigan

2-2 Draw vs Chelsea

4-0 win over Liverpool

I'm happy with my team right now, here's a list of my summer signings and sales (Just the major ones):

IN:

Silva - 26m

Mattock - 4.5m

Akinfeev - 20m

Miguel Torren - 7.5m

OUT:

Barnes - 9m

Fangzhou - Free

Brown - 7.5m

Pizarro - 3m

Enyeama - 20m

Brandy - 20m

Buonanotte - 3m

Kalouda - 6m

Veloso - 20m

Stancu - 6.5m

Any weaknesses spotted in my team, any advice? Got a remaining transfer budget of 113m. I'd like some decent young players to add too,

id look for your attack rooney doesn't quite make the out and out striker moulde id want try pazzini or briand if ya can

and possible look to get a stronger cb then vidic he is good but i think you could get much much better

He's only played one game, and that was coming on from the bench in the Super Cup. He was only on for 15 mins but got a 7.

Solid I'd say. Better than my other left back up (Jelle Van Damme).

I mainly got him as he's English.

Yeah, I might get a new defender, I like bringing up younger players and not spending too much, so I'll look around. Been looking at Sahko for a while now. I'd rather not spend that much on a player (eg Ramos), and build them up myself. Evans looks decent as a back up, and I'll be giving him a run against the lesser teams.

Evans is Excellent in my squad. Both footed too!

I've also retrained him as a DM, so i can get more use out of him.

i sold pique so i could bring evans into my first team. Best decision i made that season.

Brief Intro

Well having never before played with the team I support on FM I have decided to give it a go at last!

I am playing under the name Bruno Gama, a former Portuguese international, and will turn 39 in November of my first season. I am playing on the latest patch, (that 8.0.2 for those of you who don't know!), and have loaded up very few leagues, just the English leagues Premiership and Championship, aswell as Spain's La Liga, and the game began on 28th June 2007.

I have played up until the date of my first Champions League group game, which is the 18th September. The fans and board are demanding a good season, expecting me to Challenge for the Premier League, reach the semi final of the Champions League, and reach the final of both the FA Cup and Carling Cup. Upon starting the season I set my expectations to "title challenger" so not to put too much pressure on myself. Unfortunately though that means I was only give £16.5million to spend on players, not really enough to get in that extra bit of quality that I wanted to!! Thankfully after an upturn in finances during July, (and a request for more money!), the board upped my transfer kitty hugely in August, meaning I had a whopping £36million to spend on players. Of course though this meant my targets wouldn't be in my squad for the opening couple of games in the season as I didn't have the time to sign the players as quickley as Id wanted too.

Transfer Activity

The squad is already full of quality and not much was needed to be changed. No 1st team players were sold and very few, (just the 2 infact), left from my reserves. And only 2 players were brought in to be part of the 1st team.

Players Out;

Dong Fangzhou - £925K - Scunthorpe

Ritchie Jones - £475K - Barnsley

Neither of these 2 players were needed and I was happy to get rid of them.

Players In;

After looking at the squad I decided that the only 2 positions that really needed to be strengthened were right back, and upfront, so just the 2 major signings were made aswell as 3 youngsters.

Kún Agüero - £29.75million(£13million upfront with $16.75million over 24 months) - Atletico Madrid

Bosingwa - £6million - Porto

Nicklas Barkroth - £1.5million - IFK Goteborg

Nikita Andrejev - £400K - Levadia Tallinn

Diogo Rosado - £275K - Sporting Lisbon

Everybody knows how good Agüero can perform. Hopefully he'll do a job for me for many seasons, well once he can get into the team!

Bosingwa is a decent right back and wasn't that expensive. He accepted a role as "rotation" and should be a good member of my squad, perhaps a better option at RB than Wes Brown.

The other 3 players are all just youngsters whom my scouts recommended. Nikita Andrejev is 18 and for now has been loaned out to Antwerp, while the other 2 will be playing in my under 18's for a while.

First Team Squad And Tactics

Goalkeepers;

1.Edwin van der Sar

12.Ben Foster (Out for 5 months)

29.Tomasz Kuszczack

Defenders;

2.Gary Neville (Out for 4 months)

3.Patrice Evra

5.Rio Ferdinand

6.Wes Brown

15.Nemanja Vidic

19.Gerard Pique

22.John O'Shea

25.Danny Simpson

26.Bosingwa

27.Mikael Silvestre

Midfielders;

4.Owen Hargreaves

8.Anderson

11.Ryan Giggs

13.Park Ji-Sung Out for 3 months)

16.Michael Carrick

18.Paul Scholes

24.Darren Fletcher

33.Chris Eagles

Attacking Midfielders/Forwards

7.Cristiano Ronaldo

9.Louis Saha

10.Wayne Rooney

17.Nani

20.Kún Agüero

32.Carlos Tevez

I have listed all my strikers aswell as certain attacking midfielders together as with the system I play I dont have any actual striker. Just like the real Manchetser United my wide players/striker all interchange positions.

So far I have used this 4-1-2-2-1 formation with these instructions. I three players I pick at the top of the pitch all have instructions to swap positions with one another, and so far this has worked quite well.

I have also used this 4-4-1-1 system with these similar team instructions. As with the other system the attacking midfielder and striker swap positions with one another. In the only two games I used this formation we got victories, those in the community shield and in an away game at Chelsea!!

The Season So Far

As stated above we won the community shield. With no new signings in the squad and a few injuries the 2-0 victory was a quality result in my opinion. Cristiano Ronaldo's sensational real life form made the transition to FM as he bagged both the goals, one of which a free kick!

Community Shield

In the league we have started very well. We have won 5 out of our opening 6 games, but not scored loads of goals, just the 11 so far. But with all my teams the defending has been fabulous, and we have only let in one goal so far. We currently sit second in the league as Arsenal have won 6 games out of 6 so far.

Bolton (H) 3-0 (Ronaldo; Giggs; Rooney)

Newcastle (H) 2-0 (Vidic; Rooney)

Tottenham (A) 1-0 (Rooney)

Blackburn (A) 3-0 (Ronaldo 2; Rooney)

Chelsea (A) 2-1 (Ronaldo 2)

Liverpool (H) 0-0

As you can see both Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo have started the season in great goal scoring form. Carlos Tevez has played well, despite not scoring, and Kún Agüero only signed on transfer deadline day, and made his debut from the bench against Liverpool, getting a rating of 7.

League Table So Far

The draw for the Champions League has been made, and we have actually been drawn in a pretty tough group, though one we should still progress through.

Manchester United

Valencia

Lazio

Dinamo Zagreb

A couple of difficult away games in prospect, but I think we should come through that.

And finally, in the Carling Cup 3rd round we have been drawn at home to Reading. A chance for my underused players to get a game and prove themselves to me!

------------------------------------------------

Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and I hope that this read wasn't too long for you!!

eply

right an update on my save for you all put my expectations as win the premier league (only because i have failed once) and got 12.5mill

INS - miguel veloso - 8.5mill with a 50% sell on fee

mamadou sakho - 450k compensation

erwan gregori - 275 compenstation (brought him in because he had a high PA rating must be a random)

OUTS - mikael silvestre - Newcastle 3.5mill

john o'shea(big mistake as i have just realised there is no cover lol)

danny simpson - Rangers 3.6mill

Darren Fletcher 5mill - Tottenham

i have a budget of 13.75mill and have put in an offer for francois clerc and joe mattock let me know what you think

Do you mean Sergio Aguero?

Also, how did you get such a large transfer budget? Not meaning to critiscise, but I only received 10.5m... I had to earn Aguero lol icon_wink.gif

Aye Sergio Agüero, nickname Kún. icon_wink.gif

As for my finances, lord knows how I ended up with so much for them to increase my buget at the start of August, nevermind give me more on request! I suppose it was just a case of luck, and loads of friendlies at Old Trafford against some of Europes biggest teams generating high gate reciepts may of helped!

Although I must point out that my balance is now only £2.76million.................whoops!

Originally posted by Scott08:

Didn't realise you could get more money off the board, will have to note that

I didn't make the request for more until I had already been given more money by the board. I then spent £6million on Bosingwa, aswell as the 3 youngsters, and then when Agüero became available for that price I asked for more and thankfully they gave it to me!

hey guysss ( man utd fans) i jst would like you to make me a favor ..... can u gimme tactics for man utd wich helps u gain possesion and beautiful football with gd freedom for my RW (CR7- cristiano) so he can also get some goals for me.... plzzz!!

Originally posted by 3alawi:

hey guysss ( man utd fans) i jst would like you to make me a favor ..... can u gimme tactics for man utd wich helps u gain possesion and beautiful football with gd freedom for my RW (CR7- cristiano) so he can also get some goals for me.... plzzz!!

Look a few posts up, and there is one post of mine with my 4-1-2-2-1 formation and team instructions for the system. (I'll happily post individual player instructions if you want)

The system operates with 2 wingers and a central striker with all 3 of them interchanging positions, (very much like the United of real life). So far it has worked very well for me; Im halfway through my first season and Ronaldo has very much being mirroring his real life form, bagging 26 goals in 28 games.

Aswell as picking up this little award!

He's only played one game, and that was coming on from the bench in the Super Cup. He was only on for 15 mins but got a 7.

Solid I'd say. Better than my other left back up (Jelle Van Damme).

I mainly got him as he's English.

Yeah, I might get a new defender, I like bringing up younger players and not spending too much, so I'll look around. Been looking at Sahko for a while now. I'd rather not spend that much on a player (eg Ramos), and build them up myself. Evans looks decent as a back up, and I'll be giving him a run against the lesser teams.

Cheers. icon14.gif He's still at Leicester on my game, so shouldnt be too hard to lure away if I do decide to go in for him.

Originally posted by TevezIsGreat:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by artest:

This happened during my first season, icon_biggrin.gif

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2121/2472340520_da695b3a6e_b.jpg

icon_redface.gif maybe its an omen for Sunday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it's off topic but on the subject of omens

Every year this millenium:

If Valenica won La Liga, Arsenal won the title

If Barcalona won La Liga, Chelsea won the title

If Real Madrid won La Liga, United won the title

Who has won La Liga this year???

On that note aswell, since Valencia are close to relegation we might not have to worry about Arsenal for a while.

Anyway, back to FM... Regens can be found in a number of different ways, conventaional ways like using scouts and taking note of the under 21s championships or you can cheat and use genie scout to search for the players with the best PA.

Originally posted by 3alawi:

Go back a few pages, Pele posted his tactics, which have helped many people here. I haven't tried them yet myself but I've heard great things... And the RM position has alot of freedom too.

2nd January 2010 and my Man U side are top of the table 8 points ahead of 2nd place Arsenal who havent performed anything like last season while weve only lost one game and drawn two.

On a side note Silva (David) came second in Footballer of the year with Ibrahimovic coming first. Vidic claimed Eoropean defenderv of the year with Rio taking second. Anderson came secong in European Midfielder of year with Silva taking third. While Anderson won some South American Award

Heres my best team halfway through the season:

Akinfeev

Zaccardo Rio/Fazio Vidic Evra

Veloso Anderson

Ronaldo Jimenez Silva

Rooney/Guilherme

I wouldn't accept hes one of the best left backs on the game at the moment easily still in my team in 2010 hes 28 and i havn't really thought about buying someone to replace him. Also there isnt anyone in the team who can successfully play in that position so you'd simply be using that money to buy a replacement.

So for me not good enough unless you've got a great back up.

Hi Guys,

I'm starting a match with my mate. We're in season one (late July) and it's the original db - no patch. I've about £11m to spend and want to buy a decent winger (either side as I'll swap Ronaldo if needbe). Any suggestions?

I was thinking of Jimmy Mendez (sp - the young french player).

Also, does Mika Aarilato play best as a striker or winger? (I already have him).

Cheers in advance.

Real Madrid offer for Patrice Evra

Do you think this is a good offer for him or not? Im unsure to be honest and need a little guidance!

that offer sucks seriously. only Maxwell(older)/Chillinie/Bale/Clichy/Traore/Bale are good enough to replace Evra. with the latter 2 being fully developed. so unless u can get them cheaper than 25mil theres no point.

Originally posted by Hitchy:

Hi Guys,

I'm starting a match with my mate. We're in season one (late July) and it's the original db - no patch. I've about £11m to spend and want to buy a decent winger (either side as I'll swap Ronaldo if needbe). Any suggestions?

Also, does Mika Aarilato play best as a striker or winger? (I already have him).

Cheers in advance.

I qouls firstly get Wijnaldum, he should be cheap at the start of the game as a teenager, he becomes great. I needed him in the first team during my first season due to a large injury list and he did well. After that, he spent a season at Fiorentina as a first team player, making 20 appearances before I recalled him.

Also, Joao Moutinho is good and is an attacking midfielder right side or in the centre, and long term is a great replacement to Scholes. First season... You might get him for 10m? Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Finally I'd recommend Mathias Fernandez, he's a good young winger/Central attacking midfielder. He's my back-up for Silva.

You've also got Nani, who performed wonders for my team during the first season before my chairman sold him over my head... icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Real Madrid offer for Patrice Evra

Do you think this is a good offer for him or not? Im unsure to be honest and need a little guidance!

In 3rd season I negociated for a £10m+£40 m after 1 international game for Evra, from Spurs. Transaction went through alright, but Evra doesn't seem to feature in the plans of the national coach!!!!

Originally posted by sherica-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Real Madrid offer for Patrice Evra

that offer sucks seriously. only Maxwell(older)/Chillinie/Bale/Clichy/Traore/Bale are good enough to replace Evra. with the latter 2 being fully developed. so unless u can get them cheaper than 25mil theres no point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bale can be had for around £10-£12m in 3rd season. Marcelo has done a good enough job. Evans and Sakho can be trained to do a good job there. I think Rafael Forster can play there and he develops well. And yeah, the one I bought to replace Evra, Guillerme!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchy:

Hi Guys,

Cheers in advance.

I qouls firstly get Wijnaldum, he should be cheap at the start of the game as a teenager, he becomes great. I needed him in the first team during my first season due to a large injury list and he did well. After that, he spent a season at Fiorentina as a first team player, making 20 appearances before I recalled him.

Also, Joao Moutinho is good and is an attacking midfielder right side or in the centre, and long term is a great replacement to Scholes. First season... You might get him for 10m? Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Finally I'd recommend Mathias Fernandez, he's a good young winger/Central attacking midfielder. He's my back-up for Silva.

You've also got Nani, who performed wonders for my team during the first season before my chairman sold him over my head... icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers. Nani never seems to do much for me though. Ben Arfa seems better. Hopefully in the next game Nani will be made a bit better.

Originally posted by Hitchy:

Cheers. Nani never seems to do much for me though. Ben Arfa seems better. Hopefully in the next game Nani will be made a bit better.

He's been doing great for me so far in my 2nd season, he's taken over Gigg's (who's now in the reserves coaching youngsters), and has supplied my team with 12 assists in 13 games. You just gotta love the Michael Jackson lookalike tbh icon_biggrin.gif

Real Madrid are after him now though icon_mad.gif I wanna keep hold off him for a bit longer at least, until I can get Silva in or someone like that.

I am in my season 2 just starting. Damn the olympics took out my ronaldo, fazio, nani, anderson, saivet and a few more others. I dont mind except ronaldo. I want him to score more goals for me not playing in the stupid u23 game. lol.

Originally posted by qx123:

I am in my season 2 just starting. Damn the olympics took out my ronaldo, fazio, nani, anderson, saivet and a few more others. I dont mind except ronaldo. I want him to score more goals for me not playing in the stupid u23 game. lol.

I've never experienced Ronaldo going to the olympics. Is that during the season, or pre season?

Also, anyone have any experience of Jeremy Menez in the first season?

Cheers

Im in pre season before my 2nd season, and I am looking for a top quality striker and right back. I have a budget of 49.5 million so should be able to afford some very good players with that money. I was thinking of Aguero who I could get for under 30 mil but wasnt sure if it would work playing him alongside Rooney or Tevez, as they are all quite similar. I thought about Edison Cavani, but Im not sure if hes United quality. As for a right back I think my top target Daniel Alves will be far too expensive, so was considering going for Di Silvestri (Lazio). Any suggestions???

Originally posted by snortsy_23:

Im in pre season before my 2nd season, and I am looking for a top quality striker and right back. I have a budget of 49.5 million so should be able to afford some very good players with that money. I was thinking of Aguero who I could get for under 30 mil but wasnt sure if it would work playing him alongside Rooney or Tevez, as they are all quite similar. I thought about Edison Cavani, but Im not sure if hes United quality. As for a right back I think my top target Daniel Alves will be far too expensive, so was considering going for Di Silvestri (Lazio). Any suggestions???

At the start of the second season, you should be able to get alves for under 25m. He's a great signing, and you'll need him if all you've got is Brown and Neville for right back.

If you're not interested, retrain Hargreaves. He plays well there.

As for Aguero, he's also great. I've enjoyed having him in the squad and he scores plenty. IMO, if you've already got Tevez and Rooney, either sell Tevez or get a cheaper option for a back-up, such as Balotelli (Great young player, not ready for first team yet though), Vaughan or even N'Gog. Some people love Stancu, I'm not a huge believer that he can hang with the class of United players to be honest.

Originally posted by ronaldo175:

SneakyDave.. I love that skin, where could I get that please?

It's called "Flex", I got it at... erm... having trouble finding the exact site, there's many versions of it, add me on MSN if you want and I'll send it to you.

After two and a half seasons, I'm really considering resigning.

I've just won the Club Championship, I'm first in the league and have won all my champions league games in a group that includes Inter and Athletico Madrid.

I'm also manager of Argentina and I might go for a world cup world cup win with them in 2010.

Not sure whether to quit now (December) or in the summer.

Archived