FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got Alves 2nd season for 26.5million. He is good. When my ronaldo went to the olympics i have him as a temporary replacement right mid and he score 5 goals that month and won the player of the month.

Originally posted by Crozzizzle:

Why would you quit?

It's been the same for a while now. I don't need to sign many players for the next 5 seasons or so, I'm 14 points clear at the top and unbeaten in the league and I feel a bit like taking a struggling Championship team to the Premiership or something.

Anyway, I think I'll stay until the summer, then I've got a tough choice to make... There's nothing worse than looking back at your old team and them having a bucketfull of new players and you're old favourites being sold or demoted to reserves. There's youth players I've put alot of time into and thus that time would be wasted icon_frown.gif

Well, after a 20m signing, I've come to the conclusion that Akinfeev isn't good enough.

I've got very high standards for keepers, Enyeama couldn't reach them last year either. Lloris on the other hand is great. He's played 15 games and kept 10 clean sheets.

Unfortunately, Lloris is ineligible for European games, so Enyeama has to stink up the team. Sure he's decent, just not up to my standards.

He conceded 2 goals in my 3-2 win away in Milan in the Quarter finals, again I have to boast over Adriano, he is simply awesome.

<A HREF=A>

Originally posted by baz1:

Ok quick response needed.

Just had a 35 million pound offer accepted by Lyon for Benzema.

Is he worth it?

Bojan has a release clause of 36 million but wont accept a contract no mater what I offer him.

I got Bojan for free. This happen when he contract with Barcelona expire, and he wont accept the contract offer by Barcelona cos not giving him the key-role. i just affer him the contract and promise him a key-role in the team.

Originally posted by richburman:

what tactics are you guys using for United?? I am trying loads, but getting no way! Starting to lose my will to play this game lol

I use my own created 4-4-1-1, score 130 goal in EPL

34 win 3 draw 1 lost. Win FA cup, League CUP, EPL and Champion Cup

Originally posted by SneakyDave:

Start of second season, just been offered 7m pounds and a 30% sell on for Foster. That would leave me with VDS and Enyeama.

Still... There's plenty of targets.

So, deal or no deal?

no deal. He not bad, I sell Foster with 15min cash. Cos my tactic need a keeper with good pace and acc, so he not fit in my tactic. But you can keep him as a backup, cos he can be use for the Champion League registration.

After starting this game over a week ago I have finally completed my first season with Manchester United. Before we dive into my end of season review though, lets just take a minute to hail United's title victory this season. The race for the title was as exciting as there has been in my life time, and we just about deserved, it in the end!

Now lets all go to Moscow!!

Winter Transfers Out

Chris Eagles - £4million - Reading

Mikael Silvestre - £3.5million - Palermo

Louis Saha - £3.4million - Sampdoria

I also rejected a £25million offer from Real Madrid for Patrice Evra.

Premier League

Our league campaign ended up being successful, despite a pretty sticky first half of the season. This was down to us drawing too many games, rather than suffering defeats. After 31 games we went top for the first time since the 5th game, and never looked back. We finished on 91 points, winning the league by 4 points over Arsenal. We only lost 1 game throughout the campaign, a 1-0 loss at a typically tough game at Bolton. We only managed to score 70 goals throughout the season, but only let in 15. Our defence clearly the backbone of our success.

Good results against the other top 4 certainly helped us along the way. We beat Chelsea home (4-1), and away (2-1). And then against both Liverpool and Arsenal we drew the home games, whilst winning the away ones, both home fixtures finishing 0-0, and then winning 1-0 at Liverpool and 2-1 away to Arsenal.

Premier League Table

Despite having such a good season, we only won a couple of the individual awards;

Football Writers Association Player Of The Year; Cristiano Ronaldo

Premier League Golden Boot Award; Cristiano Ronaldo (28 goals in 35 appearances)

Barclays Manager Of The Year; Bruno Gama (Me!!)

Surprisingly we did not have a single player in the top 3 for either the PFA Player, or PFA Young Player of the year awards. However, we did have 4 players in the PFA Team Of The Year.

All in all a very good league campaign, but more goals may be needed in future seasons from my strikers, as without Ronaldo's outstanding tally of 28 we wouldn't have stood a chance.

FA Cup

We had a very disappointing campaign in this competition. We were expected to reach the final, but only managed to get to the 5th round where we were knocked out by Blackburn in a replay. I would put this down to the fact that in rested players in both the original tie and the replay with the games being inbetween many tougher games in the league and Champions League. Better luck next season I guess.

3rd Round - West Ham (H) 2-0

4th Round - Derby (A) 3-0

5th Round - Blackburn (H) 1-1

5th Rnd Rep - Blackburn (A) 1-2

Carling Cup

I of course went through this competition resting and rotating many of my players, though still putting out fairly strong sides as I sought to win my first trophy. Getting to the final was all rather dull as we scraped through most of the rounds.

3rd Round - Reading (H) 1-0

4th Round - Newcastle (H) 1-0

Qtr Final - Arsenal (H) 1-0

Semi Final 1st Leg - Portsmouth (A) 1-1

Semi Final 2nd Leg - Portsmouth (H) 0-0 (through on away goals after extra time)

In the final we met Everton, but with the game being sandwiched in with tough league, Champions League, and FA Cup games, I didn't play my strongest team, leaving Wayne Rooney on the bench, and resting Carlos Tevez and Patrice Evra all together. Despite these changes we came through the game pretty comfortably, winning 2-1, with Everton's consolation an own goal in the 90th minute.

Carling Cup Final

Champions League

We made simple work of our Champions League group as we won all6 of of our group games, banging in 21 goals in the process and only conceding the 4.

NK Dinamo (H) 5-0

Valencia (A) 4-1

Lazio (A) 2-1

Lazio (H) 1-0

NK Dinamo (A) 6-1

Valencia (H) 3-1

In the 1st knockout round we faced Sevilla, with the 1st leg away from home. We were very poor in this game as we crashed to a 1-0 defeat. Its not that we deserved to lose by more, but the fact that we created so few chances throughout the game. In the 2nd leg we came back to take the tie 2-1 on aggregate, Rooney and Ronaldo grabbing the vital goals to send us through to the quarter finals.

The quarter finals saw us drawn against Lyon, again with the 1st leg away from home. Disaster struck after 10 minutes as we found ourselves 2-0 behind, but again Rooney and Ronaldo put in the star turns as we came back to get a 2-2 draw. Again in the 2nd leg we made it hard for ourselves as fell behind as early as the 4th minute. It wasn't until the 35th minute that we equalised via and own goal.

Just 5 minutes into the second half Lyon went back ahead, but in the 77th minute that man, (or God), Ronaldo scored from the penalty spot to make it 4-4 on aggregate. And then in the 82nd minute Wayne Rooney grabbed yet another vital goal as we claimed a 3-2 victory, and a passage through to the semi's via a 5-4 aggregate scoreline.

On to the final in Moscow, and a tie against Roma to decide the destination of this seasons Champions League. With Wes Brown injured, Bosingwa would deputise at right back. Elsewhere I reverted to the 4-4-1-1 formation, with Ronaldo playing from the right and Wayne Rooney playing behind Carlos Tevez upfront. Ryan Giggs would lead the team out.

The first half was all rather sedate, with Roma having the best of the chances. At half time something had to be changed so I went back to my 4-1-2-2-1 system with my wingers and strikers inter-changing positions. No subs were made though. Come the 83rd, and Ronaldo grabbed the only goal of the game to give us victory. A magnificent treble was ours!

Champions League Final

Ronaldo's amazing success this season was further emphasised when he won the Champions League Best Player award, aswell as winning the Champions League Golden Boot. He, along with Wayne Rooney and Anderson, also made it into the Champions League Dream Team.

Top Scorers

Well no prizes for guessing that Cristiano Ronaldo was the teams top scorer this season. Wayne Rooney managed 13 goals despite missing 4 months of the season with a broken leg. But Carlos Tevez struggled to find the net, and Kún Agüero was an absolute flop for the fee I paid for him.

Cristiano Ronaldo - 51 starts 2 sub apps - 46 goals

Wayne Rooney - 28 starts 3 sub apps - 13 goals

Carlos Tevez - 37 starts 5 sub apps - 12 goals

Nemanja Vidic - 52 starts 0 sub apps - 10 goals

Kún Agüero - 29 starts 3 sub apps - 7 goals

Ronaldo's goalscoring brilliance this season was enough to earn him the European Golden Boot. A great season from God, who is surely halfway to another World Player Of The Year award.

What Next

No big name players are so far departing, but I have 5 players from my reserves/under 18's who are leaving raising me a tidy sum of £5million. Other players such as Park Ji Sung, John O'Shea, and Danny Simpson who are not regulars may well be leaving too, despite performing well when called upon. And I have recieved several enquiries for Tomasz Kuszczak who I may also sell.

As for incoming players, so far I have just one player joining the club, and that is Murcia youngster Aquino. I have also managed to unsettle Giuseppe Rossi, whom is now transfer listed by request and I have tabled a £16million offer for him. Other positions I will be looking to strengthen are;

Goalkeeper - Not to come in for Edwin van der Sar necessarily straight away, but to challenge him and Ben Foster for the number 1 spot. I will however not break the bank for a top keeper.

Leftback - I need a better back-up/challenger in this position as Patrice Evra played far too many games for my liking last season, and didn't have the best of average ratings.

I doubt money will be much of an issue as my balance is currently around £60million so I anticipate a decent transfer kitty, though Im the kind of manager who doesn't like to spend huge sums of money if possible unless the player is really worth it.

------------------------------------------------

Any comments or suggestions are as always welcome, and I'll be happy to upload any screenshots you want!

Enjoy your gaame mate. ^

I'd recommend Lloris without a doubt. Best keeper I've experienced so far. Cost me 6m two and a half seasons in.

Mattock is a decent back-up and is English if you want to stick to that, but Bale is fantastic.

Now on to me!

Just beat Arsenal 4-0 in the FA Cup Final, plus I've yet to play in my CL final. 10 of my players were selected in my team of the year, plus I won manager of the year.

Just beat Chelsea 4-1 in the Champions League Final, winning the Cup for my second consecutive year.

Top goalscorer was Adriano with 21 goals, and in contrast second place was Anelka with only 11.

Adriano also came away with the Best Player award.

Best Champions League goal ironically came from James Vaughan... but while he was at Everton lol.

I just signed Banega for 5m, he looks very promising, whereas De Rossi is near peak and it will cost me ALOT to sign him.

Depends on just how much you need a DM. If you feel you're really lacking and need a great player immediately, I'd say Rossi, otherwise Banega could be nurtured into the team over time.

Originally posted by tomtuck01:

After starting this game over a week ago I have finally completed my first season with Manchester United. Before we dive into my end of season review though, lets just take a minute to hail United's title victory this season. The race for the title was as exciting as there has been in my life time, and we just about deserved, it in the end!

Now lets all go to Moscow!!

Winter Transfers Out

Chris Eagles - £4million - Reading

Mikael Silvestre - £3.5million - Palermo

Louis Saha - £3.4million - Sampdoria

I also rejected a £25million offer from Real Madrid for Patrice Evra.

Premier League

Our league campaign ended up being successful, despite a pretty sticky first half of the season. This was down to us drawing too many games, rather than suffering defeats. After 31 games we went top for the first time since the 5th game, and never looked back. We finished on 91 points, winning the league by 4 points over Arsenal. We only lost 1 game throughout the campaign, a 1-0 loss at a typically tough game at Bolton. We only managed to score 70 goals throughout the season, but only let in 15. Our defence clearly the backbone of our success.

Good results against the other top 4 certainly helped us along the way. We beat Chelsea home (4-1), and away (2-1). And then against both Liverpool and Arsenal we drew the home games, whilst winning the away ones, both home fixtures finishing 0-0, and then winning 1-0 at Liverpool and 2-1 away to Arsenal.

Premier League Table

Despite having such a good season, we only won a couple of the individual awards;

Football Writers Association Player Of The Year; Cristiano Ronaldo

Premier League Golden Boot Award; Cristiano Ronaldo (28 goals in 35 appearances)

Barclays Manager Of The Year; Bruno Gama (Me!!)

Surprisingly we did not have a single player in the top 3 for either the PFA Player, or PFA Young Player of the year awards. However, we did have 4 players in the PFA Team Of The Year.

All in all a very good league campaign, but more goals may be needed in future seasons from my strikers, as without Ronaldo's outstanding tally of 28 we wouldn't have stood a chance.

FA Cup

We had a very disappointing campaign in this competition. We were expected to reach the final, but only managed to get to the 5th round where we were knocked out by Blackburn in a replay. I would put this down to the fact that in rested players in both the original tie and the replay with the games being inbetween many tougher games in the league and Champions League. Better luck next season I guess.

3rd Round - West Ham (H) 2-0

4th Round - Derby (A) 3-0

5th Round - Blackburn (H) 1-1

5th Rnd Rep - Blackburn (A) 1-2

Carling Cup

I of course went through this competition resting and rotating many of my players, though still putting out fairly strong sides as I sought to win my first trophy. Getting to the final was all rather dull as we scraped through most of the rounds.

3rd Round - Reading (H) 1-0

4th Round - Newcastle (H) 1-0

Qtr Final - Arsenal (H) 1-0

Semi Final 1st Leg - Portsmouth (A) 1-1

Semi Final 2nd Leg - Portsmouth (H) 0-0 (through on away goals after extra time)

In the final we met Everton, but with the game being sandwiched in with tough league, Champions League, and FA Cup games, I didn't play my strongest team, leaving Wayne Rooney on the bench, and resting Carlos Tevez and Patrice Evra all together. Despite these changes we came through the game pretty comfortably, winning 2-1, with Everton's consolation an own goal in the 90th minute.

Carling Cup Final

Champions League

We made simple work of our Champions League group as we won all6 of of our group games, banging in 21 goals in the process and only conceding the 4.

NK Dinamo (H) 5-0

Valencia (A) 4-1

Lazio (A) 2-1

Lazio (H) 1-0

NK Dinamo (A) 6-1

Valencia (H) 3-1

In the 1st knockout round we faced Sevilla, with the 1st leg away from home. We were very poor in this game as we crashed to a 1-0 defeat. Its not that we deserved to lose by more, but the fact that we created so few chances throughout the game. In the 2nd leg we came back to take the tie 2-1 on aggregate, Rooney and Ronaldo grabbing the vital goals to send us through to the quarter finals.

The quarter finals saw us drawn against Lyon, again with the 1st leg away from home. Disaster struck after 10 minutes as we found ourselves 2-0 behind, but again Rooney and Ronaldo put in the star turns as we came back to get a 2-2 draw. Again in the 2nd leg we made it hard for ourselves as fell behind as early as the 4th minute. It wasn't until the 35th minute that we equalised via and own goal.

Just 5 minutes into the second half Lyon went back ahead, but in the 77th minute that man, (or God), Ronaldo scored from the penalty spot to make it 4-4 on aggregate. And then in the 82nd minute Wayne Rooney grabbed yet another vital goal as we claimed a 3-2 victory, and a passage through to the semi's via a 5-4 aggregate scoreline.

On to the final in Moscow, and a tie against Roma to decide the destination of this seasons Champions League. With Wes Brown injured, Bosingwa would deputise at right back. Elsewhere I reverted to the 4-4-1-1 formation, with Ronaldo playing from the right and Wayne Rooney playing behind Carlos Tevez upfront. Ryan Giggs would lead the team out.

The first half was all rather sedate, with Roma having the best of the chances. At half time something had to be changed so I went back to my 4-1-2-2-1 system with my wingers and strikers inter-changing positions. No subs were made though. Come the 83rd, and Ronaldo grabbed the only goal of the game to give us victory. A magnificent treble was ours!

Champions League Final

Ronaldo's amazing success this season was further emphasised when he won the Champions League Best Player award, aswell as winning the Champions League Golden Boot. He, along with Wayne Rooney and Anderson, also made it into the Champions League Dream Team.

Top Scorers

Well no prizes for guessing that Cristiano Ronaldo was the teams top scorer this season. Wayne Rooney managed 13 goals despite missing 4 months of the season with a broken leg. But Carlos Tevez struggled to find the net, and Kún Agüero was an absolute flop for the fee I paid for him.

Cristiano Ronaldo - 51 starts 2 sub apps - 46 goals

Wayne Rooney - 28 starts 3 sub apps - 13 goals

Carlos Tevez - 37 starts 5 sub apps - 12 goals

Nemanja Vidic - 52 starts 0 sub apps - 10 goals

Kún Agüero - 29 starts 3 sub apps - 7 goals

Ronaldo's goalscoring brilliance this season was enough to earn him the European Golden Boot. A great season from God, who is surely halfway to another World Player Of The Year award.

What Next

No big name players are so far departing, but I have 5 players from my reserves/under 18's who are leaving raising me a tidy sum of £5million. Other players such as Park Ji Sung, John O'Shea, and Danny Simpson who are not regulars may well be leaving too, despite performing well when called upon. And I have recieved several enquiries for Tomasz Kuszczak who I may also sell.

As for incoming players, so far I have just one player joining the club, and that is Murcia youngster Aquino. I have also managed to unsettle Giuseppe Rossi, whom is now transfer listed by request and I have tabled a £16million offer for him. Other positions I will be looking to strengthen are;

Goalkeeper - Not to come in for Edwin van der Sar necessarily straight away, but to challenge him and Ben Foster for the number 1 spot. I will however not break the bank for a top keeper.

Leftback - I need a better back-up/challenger in this position as Patrice Evra played far too many games for my liking last season, and didn't have the best of average ratings.

I doubt money will be much of an issue as my balance is currently around £60million so I anticipate a decent transfer kitty, though Im the kind of manager who doesn't like to spend huge sums of money if possible unless the player is really worth it.

------------------------------------------------

Any comments or suggestions are as always welcome, and I'll be happy to upload any screenshots you want!

Any chance you could elaborate on the formations and tactics you were using throughout the season? I know you mentioned a 4-4-1-1 and a 4-1-2-2-1 system. Would like to know how you got such a good season out of Ronaldo if at all possible.

Thanks.

Thanks, I was going to play a triangle midfield (DM, 2xMC 2XAML) If I put Hardgreaves at right back who do you suggest at DM, been looking at Veleso and Zapater. Veleso will cost most of my budget but Zapater will only cost 7million MAX and can play more naturally at CM. Any suggestions???

Zapater has been a centre-stone to my midfield over the last few years, and I'd highly recommend him.

He won't get to many goals, but last season he had the highest Pass Completion statistic in the league.

Right now, he and Hargreaves are being chosen over Banega, Vidal and Sunny for my holding Central midfield position.

Thanks again, one more though:

What about targets, will the board sack you after the first season if you fail to reach the target you set yourself. Like if you say you'll win the league but instead finish top 4?

To be honest I'm not sure. I always just set an honest target depending on how I think I will fare in the coming season.

My first season, I had alot of injuries and old players to replace, so I set my aim as Title Challenger, and was surprised by winning the league.

Originally posted by Trigger_18uk:

Any chance you could elaborate on the formations and tactics you were using throughout the season? I know you mentioned a 4-4-1-1 and a 4-1-2-2-1 system. Would like to know how you got such a good season out of Ronaldo if at all possible.

Thanks.

Ok, will do in the next couple of days when Ive got a bit more time.

Originally posted by Sanityfm:

I have 82 mil to spend not sure where to strengthen in my squad..anyone has any advice?

My keepers are Ustari, Akinfeev and Grohe.

manchesterunitedmanutdpxh3.th.png

I think your team already strong enough. My team not even half the depth of your team. I don't think it still have any room for improvement. A suggestion of mine is you can buy the promising player with age less than 18. It will help in the registration of CL.

How you manage to get so many star player in your team?

How much did you spend for all of these player?

How you manages to keep the team in balance?

How your result of the team so far(no load after lose)?

Well, I did it. First I resigned from the Argentina job after winning the 2010 World Cup.

Now in October 2010, I resigned from Man United.

Here's my final first team:

GK: Lloris/Foster

LB: Evra/Abidal

RB: Alves/Torren

CB: Vidic/Evans

CB: Barzagli/Vidal

CM: Hargreaves/Banega

CM: Zapater/Banega

AMC: Aguero/Fernandez

AMC: Silva/Rooney

AMC: Ronaldo/Gourcuff

FC: Adriano/Bojan/Vaughan

So as I left, I had a huge squad, full of depth and then I figured that there was no point anymore.

It's been fun while it lasted.

Originally posted by tomtuck01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trigger_18uk:

Thanks.

Ok, will do in the next couple of days when Ive got a bit more time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome! I shall look forward to it.

Rate my team icon_biggrin.gif

Gk Oscar Ustari

RD Jose San Roman/Richards

LD Nicolas Poirot

CD Evans/Richards

CD guillermo Gill (lol he is amazing)

DM veloso/mascherano/Carrerno(regen)

CM Montolivo/Messi/Leandro(regen)

RW Ronaldo/Messi

LW silva/Matias Fernandez

Am Messi/Matias Fernandez

FC Rooney/Bojan

plus some very good loking regens who are on loan.

won the league and champions league every year so thats 11 rime in a row as well as club world championship 11 times european super cup 9 times fa cup 5 times league cup 4 times and community cup 8 times, so all in all not a bad 12 years in charde i also won the world and european championship with france

Archived