FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by Dudley01:

Hello All, I'm back!

Finally got round to getting FM2008 and have the 8.0.2 patch so I've started as United.

I'm into July 2009 (start of second season).

First season saw me lost the Community Shield to Chelsea 1-0.

The league I lost to Arsenal by 4 points (gutted as I was 8 points clear at Christmas).

The FA Cup I lost to Arsenal in the final 2-1.

The League Cup I lost early to Chelsea.

I WON the CL beating Real Madrid 2-1 in the final. I beat Inter and Chelsea en route including beating Chelsea 5-0 in the first lag and losing the second leg 5-1!

Only player sold was Fletcher to Valencia for £8m whilst I bought in Saviet, Sakho, Wijnaldum, and Aquino plus Stefan Kiessling for £7.5m and he was a great 3rd striker.

I have just sold Tevez to AC for £37.5m (over 24 months) so have £59m to spend now.

I have also managed to get a Japanese and Amercian feeder club so hopefully this helps.

On the subject of O'Shea, he performed superbly and my first choice right back all of season 1.

How does Manucho perform second season?

Which striker can I buy to replace Tevez to partner Rooney?

Kiessling will be 3rd striker with Manucho or Saviet 4th striker.

GGMU.

Duds

July 2009 would'nt that be the start of the 3rd season?

yeah but anyway i think that you should sign saviola, owen, huntelaar or santa cruz to replace tevez

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just about to start a new game with man u by the way so i was wondering what formation i should play for the majority of the season

also i'm gonna train hargreaves to play rb so i can choose either o'shea, brown or hargreaves to cover for neville

ps: im not planning on buying or selling during the 1st transfer window

Ok I just started a new game with Man United.

Its the end of August and Daniel Alves has been transfer listed.

Sevilla wanted 30 million but I have just had a 19 million pound bid accepted.

I have Brown or O'Shea as other options for RB.

So Deal or no deal?

Originally posted by baz1:

Ok I just started a new game with Man United.

Its the end of August and Daniel Alves has been transfer listed.

Sevilla wanted 30 million but I have just had a 19 million pound bid accepted.

I have Brown or O'Shea as other options for RB.

So Deal or no deal?

deal and sell Brown imo

19M for thebest right back in the game is fairly brilliant

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

10 League games in and 30 points gained \o/ have only conceded 4 goals whilst Rooney & co have scored 33 goals \o/ but have tough away games to man city & arsenal icon_frown.gif

Tevez is a beast icon_cool.gif

My next games are away at Arsenal and Liverpool. icon_frown.gif

Usually win at Anfield but I'm expecting the usual last 10 minute burst from Arsenal to beat me. Probably from Van Persie. icon_frown.gif

You playing a 442?

Just finished my 1st season with united and it ended pretty dissapointing. We battled and battled arsenal and chelsea for the title but both of them seemed to have that little bit extra both finishing 8points clear of us in 3rd, arsenal winning the league. Had a bad run the the F.A cup 5th round i think? Champs league got to the quarters getting beat off valencia 5-4 on agg they beat us 4-2 at old trafford, silva netting a hattrick! We won the league cup against reading despite not performing at all.

The season started so well playing my own 4-1-2-2-1 formation with to wingers and 2 centre mids, 1 def mid. We definatly looked potential champs until mid season the comp found out how to play against us and perfected it, we only lost 3 all together but 13 draws was what let us down, the comp scoring in the last few mins... we just weren't resiliant enough.

summer transfer targets and departures.

looking to sign a new keeper possibly Lloris or akinfeev?Foster looks great but he wants to leave, lack of action. I want dani alves in place of neville who has past it now he's coming out of games 70% fit which isnt to good.

I also want silva from valencia who looks amazing and proved he is against us. I guess aguero wouldnt be a bad signing either. those 2 to replace giggs and scholes who dont have the natural fitness anymore.

This is how i hope my team will look next season

Lloris-akinfeev

dani alves

ferdinand

vidic

evra

makoun

moutinho or anderson

ronaldo

rooney

silva

benzema or tevez

van der saar

barzagli

hargreaves-carrick

aguero

tevez benzema

we have great youth coming through in saivet thiago... so maybe some of them will be promoted, not sure yet though.

still got my back ups in o'shea,fletcher,brown,nani...

when you guys play away games say against chelsea, arsenal and you usually play a 4-2-3-1 formation with 3 attacking mids, do you put you 2 wide attacking mids on the right and left side of mid in a more defensive style? i went to arsenal and chelsea sticking to the same formation and it didnt work at all, what do you do?

Originally posted by Ale House:

Here are Ronaldo's instructions I use (all out attack as you can see)

Picture3-1.png?t=1211248358

And the formation I'm using. (I actually play Carrick a lot in the position Anderson is in).

Picture2-1.png?t=1211248458

Ronaldo had between 25-30 goals last year in about 50 appearances, but just blew it up this season. I was shocked he scored so much. As you can see by the avg rating, Rooney does great in the AML with forward arrow role.

Cheers for posting mate. shall give it a go now. What team Instructions u using?

Amauri with the first 10 of the season, scoring 4 against Leyton Orient in the cup. icon_cool.gif

Created a new tactic from scratch because I was playing **** football, much improved now. The attack is way more effective.

Was looking at where I need to improve next season, just need a right back to replace Neville. Alves preferably. Other then that the squad is pretty much perfect.

Ok just confirmed the deal for Alves.

So far he has played 1 and got a 7 rating.

Hopefully he will play well for me.

On another note who do people play in MC - Scholes, Carrick or Anderson.

They have all been playing really well I cannot pick which of them to play.

i dont believe dani alves is the best right back in the game. statistic wise he loosk it but he played awful for me to be honest. the price for him is a bargain tho but i would keep brown and save myself the money.

im playing a 4-4-1-1 formation which looks like this

brown - ferdinand - vidic - evra

ronaldo - hargreaves - carrick - nani

anderson

rooney

im thinking whether i should buy in another striker who can can header and shoot and play rooney in att mid and anderson in carricks place. does that sound like a smart idea?

I'd really love a 3rd winger like Ronaldo and Nani. I'm almost halfway the first season so transfer window will soon open up and i'd love to look around. Would be a great strengthening, although i might make my move in the summer.

Ronaldo was out injured for far too long. Both him & Park are nearing recovery so my wings will look stronger. Yet i want another winger as Giggs only performs in some odd games (and i mostly had to mentally challenge him through teamtalks) and Nani is still a bit young.

Alrite lads almost ready for the new season, akinfeev, michael johnson and aguero have all signed. Im in negotiations with dani alves after my 37mil offer was accepted, i bid 49mil for silva but valencia rejected, i just couldnt strike a fee for him so i opted with aguero instead.

heres my team for the new season

akinfeev

van der saar

hopefully alves

brown

ferdinand

pique

vidic

barzagli

evra

lescott

o'shea(anywhere in defence)

makoun

carrick

hargreaves

anderson

johnson

fletcher

ronaldo

nani

moutinho

aguero

rooney

modric

tevez

benzema

just need to settle the new players in and im sure we'l go far this year.

Originally posted by SkidRo:

i dont believe dani alves is the best right back in the game. statistic wise he loosk it but he played awful for me to be honest. the price for him is a bargain tho but i would keep brown and save myself the money.

im playing a 4-4-1-1 formation which looks like this

brown - ferdinand - vidic - evra

ronaldo - hargreaves - carrick - nani

anderson

rooney

im thinking whether i should buy in another striker who can can header and shoot and play rooney in att mid and anderson in carricks place. does that sound like a smart idea?

Yeah I would say it does. Anderson always plays better for me in the mc position for some reason. Plus Rooney wreaks havoc when he plays there.

Amauri now with 13 goals in his last 6 games. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Vinsanity666:

I'd really love a 3rd winger like Ronaldo and Nani. I'm almost halfway the first season so transfer window will soon open up and i'd love to look around. Would be a great strengthening, although i might make my move in the summer.

Ronaldo was out injured for far too long. Both him & Park are nearing recovery so my wings will look stronger. Yet i want another winger as Giggs only performs in some odd games (and i mostly had to mentally challenge him through teamtalks) and Nani is still a bit young.

I've just got a scout report from Aquino. He looks Ok-ish and my scout is optimistic about him. Now i've used him in smaller leagues and he did pretty good, but would he be good in this league too?

My scout says he would be the 8th best winger at the club.

Semoli (sp) is a good winger for both sides, plays for fiorentina iirc and is usually transfer listed soonish

what about silva mate, his stats are just as good as ronaldo's, you might have to break the world record transfer fee for him but he is amazing. I tried 49mil and didnt get a result, you game might be different though. Ive also signed aquino after you guys mentioned him, id never heard of him before he looks good for 17 though has good stats and if developed right could become great.

Originally posted by Dazbo101:

Cheers for posting mate. shall give it a go now. What team Instructions u using?

Picture1-6.png?t=1211322860

I averaged something like 3.1 goals a game, and gave up like 1.1. So it was great for attacking, and not so great for defense.

I have all these young stars coming up , who look great .. but there always complaining bout not getting first team football

How can i work around that, i got Bojan and Pato up front, so where will Saivet play his part

ffs guess what, just started the new season and had chelsea 1st game at old trafford. Chelsea went 1-0 through frank lampard, we got a goal but it was disallowed, 2nd half comes we got a penalty lol and modric missed, then rooney scored but it was ruled offside which was harsh i took another look and it seemed onside, then last min drogba scored a free kick lucky gits, Just a shame they couldnt do that irl though!!! COME ON UNITED:d

Just seen my balance is very close to going into the red icon_frown.gif

so having to sell Fletcher for hopefully a possible £16.5M (Fiorentina) but will probably stay in england for a measly £10M, New signign Briand scored twice on his debut against Aston Villa and he seems to be a good bargain for £2.7M, still would liek to get rid of Rio though

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

Just seen my balance is very close to going into the red icon_frown.gif

so having to sell Fletcher for hopefully a possible £16.5M (Fiorentina) but will probably stay in england for a measly £10M, New signign Briand scored twice on his debut against Aston Villa and he seems to be a good bargain for £2.7M, still would liek to get rid of Rio though

Briand for £2.7m is a bargain. What season did you sign him for that? I normally end up paying £7-8m for him at the start!

Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

Deal or No deal - Quick answer required.

Pretty good offer.

It depends how you like to play, personally i like to keep the original squad intact.

However, if your not bothered by this .. Rio and Vidic are a great partnership for a good 4 seasons.

H.Nordtveit, M.Sakho, F.Fazio and A.Vidal all become as good, if not better, than Pique for less money.

Just started a game thanks to last nights triumph for football, and noticed that my first gate receipt of the season, against West Ham, was £525k

OK, thats fine, but the attendance was 73185. That means average ticket price was just over £7!!!

Arent Utd. tickets more like £45 normally?

End of January Transfer Window 1st Season

Squad

05222008213233gi4.th.jpg

Transfers In

Jimmy Briand - Rennes - £2.7M

Henri Lansbury - Arsenal - £0

Nicky Butt - Newcastle - £90k

Eggert Jonsson - Hearts - £2.8M (Now most expensive signing this season)

Ivan Rakitic - Schalke - Loan

Transfers Out

Darren Fletcher - Aston Villa - £10.5M

Louis Saha - Aston Villa - £3M

Tom Cleverley - Scunthorpe - £95k

also got Hearts as a feeder club so i loaned out..

Sankhare

Welbeck

Sakho

Wijnaldum

Wright

Zeefuik

Jonsson

So Far..

Premier League - 14 points clear after 24 games

Champions League - Will face Lazio in the 1st round of the knock outs

League Cup - Will face Aston Villa in the final

FA Cup - Into the 5th round and will face West Brom

nice going barnetboyz looking good sofar.

After getting beat off chelsea 2-0 first game we won sheff utd 3-1 away and then beat arsenal 3-2 away which was a great result. Last season we lacked that finishing teams off touch but sofar its looking good we seem to be able to hold teams off now due to change in formation(from what ive seen sofar anyways its early days) Tevez is a beast upfront on his own, he missed half last season through injury but already has 5 in 4.

Just watched the champs league group stage draw we have a tough 1, a.c milan, sportling and twente.

Madrid just offered 60mil for ronaldo aswel dont worry only on my game thank f***, i have asked for 100mil if they go for it great but if they dont then also great, a no lose situation really

Originally posted by Aleksa-Master:

Can we do something about that huge loan?Can club be taken over?And if it is possible can we affect taking over some how?

From past experience, if the debt gets too big, utd will be taken over, but they got their own manager in, even though i did the double!

Ok, after my last couple of games went sour, i decided to start a new manchester united save, and ill keep you all updated.

Sept 1 2007

Transfers in:

Bojan - Loan

Sakho - 550k

Aquino - 575k

Fleck - 1.6m

Saivet - 2.9m

Wijnuldum - 3m

Fernandez - 9.75m

Balotelli - Loan

Out:

Fletcher - 5.75m

Barnes - Loan

Eagles - Loan

Jones - Loan

Eckersley - Loan

Saha - Loan

Hewson - Loan

Cathcart - Loan

Evans - Loan

Remaining trasfer/wage: 15.5m/91k

Squad:

GK: VDS/Kuszack

RB: Neville/O'Shea

LB: Evra/Silvestre

CB: Ferdinand/Brown

CB: Vidic/Pique

RM: Ronaldo/Nani

LM: Giggs/Anderson

CM: Hargreaves/Carrick

AM: Scholes/Fernandez

ST: Rooney/Balotelli

ST: Tevez/Bojan

Champions League: Olympiakos

Marseille

Bremen

Man Utd.

Premier League:

P4 W3 D1 L0 F7 A2 GD+5 Pts10 Pos 1

Big Games: Community Shield:

Chelsea 1 (Lampard 45)

Man u 1 (Bojan 64)

Chelsea win 4-2 on pens

Sheva/Lampard/Cole/Drogba all scored

Ronaldo/Rooney missed Aquino/Bojan scored

Ill Update again on Feb 1

Any feedback welcome

Dammit,

the board just provided the club a cash injection to save us from receivership. What the hell can you do best to stop this?

Obviously win everything there is to win, but what else? I'm currently offering reserve players to clubs (O'shea, Saha,...)

Just starting up a new game with United, inspired by Wednesday's win.

What have you guys found to be the best formation to use in the first season? I'm probably going to be looking at buying a target striker, along with some youth players.

Cheers in advance,

Creeo.

Originally posted by Cr33o:

Just starting up a new game with United, inspired by Wednesday's win.

What have you guys found to be the best formation to use in the first season? I'm probably going to be looking at buying a target striker, along with some youth players.

Cheers in advance,

Creeo.

I normally stick to 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1 in the first season.

Vinsanity - I try not to spend the full transfer budget for the first year, so that saves a bit of cash.

What's the minimum fitness rating that people would pick players with? I normally won't pick anyone with less than 90%, but prefer them to be above 95%.

I'm playing online with a mate and he just picks anyone who aren't injured - so picks people in 70% or so ratings.

Originally posted by Hitchy:

What's the minimum fitness rating that people would pick players with? I normally won't pick anyone with less than 90%, but prefer them to be above 95%.

I'm playing online with a mate and he just picks anyone who aren't injured - so picks people in 70% or so ratings.

Its not recommended to pick players around the 70% fitness. I have 2 teams, so can afford to rest some players. But if u have a small squad and can not afford to rest key players then pick those around the 90% mark, preferably above 95%. 70% is not good enough as they will be completely exhausted come the 2nd half.

So I think I've accomplished everything... yet I don't want a new challenge! Has anyone else found themselves feeling tied to a save because of how much you've accomplished? In my first season I was close to being sacked, and now... well just check the screenshots, they're incredible.

End of Season Home:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3096/jchomemn6.jpg

Manager of Month:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1398/managerbo9.jpg

(also won manager of the year)

Final League Standings, my proudest achievment:

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4074/premleaguedp4.jpg

My Squad, another proud achievment for me:

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/4715/team1az5.jpg

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8860/team2iq4.jpg

Also, to note, surprisingly my 2 best players in terms of awards and performances are Iago and Martins, I signed them both in my first season because I wanted a possible Scholes replacement and Iago was cheap, and Saha was injured for like 9 months so I signed Martins to replace him, cracking signing for the both of them!

Possible challenges for me? Considering I really do not want to leave Utd and I certainly don't want to ruin the squad I spent so long building.

Archived