FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by keaneutdlegend:

Im having real trouble finding a consistent team / formation for my team. I'm coming up to the January transfer window in the 3rd season, and am doing great in the cup competition.

However, the league is the problem, i think the problem is that i dont know my strongest team. Currently 4th but only 5 points off Chelsea. My squad is:

GKs: Akinfeev, Foster

Defs: Rafinha, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Brown, O'Shea, Evans, Bale

Mid: Ronaldo, Nani, Veloso, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Park Ji Sung, Ashley Young

Att: Rooney, Tevez, Amauri

I often switch between a 442 diamond (veloso as dm and anderson as am) and just a simple 442.

But i cant find consistency, the wingers drift in and out of games and i just drew against wolves 1-1, who are in 19th and fairly poor. Yet they dominated me, 62% of possesion! i feel like i need a stronger midfield?

Tweak your mentality so tht the space between the different level of players (DC to DM to RLM to AM to FC) are not too spaced out. Try shorter passes. and dnt have too high a tempo or minimum waste of time. I read a very good guide and it helped a lot-if the players spend very little time on the ball they will end up doing mistakes by passing the ball to the wrong players.

I play a variant of the 4-4-2 diamond.

4-1-2-2-1 with the 2 AMC having different level of mentality + the one higher up with a farrow. This allows the one without a farrow to link up better with the guys playing behind him. The other AMC links better with the FC and effectively playing as an FC. There is loads to say abt the tactics and wouldn't mind sharing should you want to try them.

The important thing though, is to be consistent with your tactics so your team has time to adapt.

I should point out that I don't always have the best posession but my tactics seem to work fine.

Originally posted by Jambo4eva:

My current squad

I'm still undecided as to what my best starting line up is. Tevez is definitely the best lone striker imo

Can't comment much on the players you bought since my team is quite different but IMO Rooney is the best lone FC. good mix of speed and precision.

Jambo:

Tevez is v. good up fron on his own, but Rooney has the extra pace and strength and -though I dont know whether it makes any difference - a bit more height (+extra jumping and heading, though not by much).

I would recommend Rooney and Tevez playing one infront of the other, with swap position on. They got 50 goals between me this season before they both got injured!!!!

Now Ive got to play the run in without them both, so I have Saha and Bojan as my only strikers icon_eek.gif Giggs is dropping rapidly, so Ronaldo really needs to play on the wing in his RonRole icon_wink.gif 32goals and counting.

has anyone got bosingwa??? he has been immense, links up with c.ronaldo very well!

I am in my first season, this is who i brought in and sold: Are they good transfers or not??

In:

bosingwa - 7m

kalouda-4.5m

out:

none.

are these players good?

Start of Season 2

After deciding to continue my Man Utd game (mainly due our irl success), I decided my squad need improving quite a bit even after winning the treble last year. Brought in four players, Zaccardo, Veloso, Carzorla and a young regen from my feeder club Fluminense. The regen is at Antwerp trying to get a a WP. Zaccardo came in on a free to start at RB which so far he preformed brilliantly. Santi Carzorla was brought in a back up for Ronaldo and Nani but since they have both been Olympics, He and Evra have started on the wing. Santi scoring a brilliant goal on his debut, as did Veloso (brought to start at CM) who now has 2 in 2. Was also at the Olympics. Due the bloody Olympics my starting line changed. Silvestre at DL instead of Evra, Evra at ML instead of Nani, Carzorla at MR instead of Ronaldo, Rooney at AMC instead of Anderson and Campbell at FC instead of Rooney. Fraizer Campbell played superb with 4 in 4.

INs

C. Zaccardo(Palermo: Free)

S. Carzorla (Villarreal: £15.5m)

M. Veloso (Sporting CP: £15m)

Isaias (Fluminense: 65k)

Total = £30.5m

OUTs

D. Gray (Burnley: free)

D. Fangzhuo (Motherwell: Loan)

S. Hewson (Burnley: Loan)

L. Martin (Burnley: Loan)

V. Moses (Burnley: Loan)

Isaias (Fluminense: Loan)

Manucho (Stade Rennais: Loan)

Total = £0m/i]

My Squad

1. Hugo Lloris

13. Ben Foster

29. Tomasz Kuszczak

2. Cristian Zaccardo

3. Patrice Evra

5. Rio Ferdinand

6. Wes Brown

15. Nemanja Vidic

18. Gerrard Pique

27. Mikael Silvestre

4. Owen Hargreaves

8. Anderson

16. Michael Carrick

19. Miguel Veloso

7. Cristiano Ronaldo

17. Nani

34. Santi Carzorla

9. Lukas Podolski

10. Wayne Rooney

20. Fraizer Campbell

32. Carlos Tevez

Season Finished \o/

End of Season EPL Awards

English Footballer of the Year

1st Wayne Rooney

2nd Cristiano Ronaldo

English Premiership Top Goalscorer

1st Wayne Rooney 28 goals / 31 games

English Players Player of the Year

3rd Anderson icon_frown.gif

English Premiership Manager of the Year

1st Ãlvaro Soren \o/

English Premiership Player Team of the Year

DR : John O'Shea \o/

DL : Patrice Evra

DC : Rio Ferdinand

DC : Nemanja Vidic

ML : Carlos Tevez

MC : Anderson

MR : Cristiano Ronaldo

ST : Wayne Rooney

No young player award for any of my players /o\

FA & CL finals to come.. will probably be Tevez's last games as he wants to go Barca and they have bid 26M icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Matt8:

Who should i buy to replace him?

I had aguero accepted for 32 mil. Worth it?

Hmmm Im not sure on an actual replacement, but I would definitely say No to Aguero. He was useless in his one season in my team.

My 1st season just finished, won the league on the last day icon_eek.gif

Table

Lost in the CL semis to Real Madrid after both Tevez and Rooney got injured for the 1st leg! Lost 6-2, and could only win 2-1 at Old Trafford with Rooney back, but no Tevez.

Also lost in the League Cup final to Arsenal in extra time - though to be fair, they were probably the better team

League Cup

Season Summary1

Season Summary2

My squad is:

Squad

I am signing Tranquillo Barnetta, Luigi Bruins, Petri Pasanen, Cristian Rodriguez and Genero Zeefiuk already, and am looking to bring in Asamoah Gyan, Karim Benzema, Gignac or James Vaughan, as well as Sergio Ramos if I can get him

What do people think?

My main ofrmation is:

Formation

OK, Ive done it again. Ive gone mad! icon_eek.gif

How do real managers refrain themselves?

In total I have 100 players on my books! WTF!

And Im looking to bring in more!

The problem is, Im trying to get rid of Brown and Manucho, but no-one wants them. I need the money to bring in Ramos, whose finally decided he wants to join me.

My squad is as it was in my last post, plus Gignac (Benzema wouldnt come and Udinese wanted £30m for Asamoah Gyan). Kuszczak is leaving and Ustari is coming in. What do you think I should so to my squad?

Giggs and Scholes are only here for tutoring, theyre not going to play many games, just want them to be coaches. Same for Van der Sar.

Ok, you're crazy. All I did in my first season was buy Owen. Then in the second season, Fernandez. I got a double first season then a triple the next season. You do not need all those players. Sell all those useless reserves like Eagles, Martin Silvestre, Fletcher, Barnetta, Pasanen etc. etc. Don't sell Brown. and most importantly...STOP BUYING. Especially if it's players like Barnetta who are next to useless.

I got Barnetta as he cost nothing, and I thought he would provide cover when the olympics took all my players. Pasanen is good cover for the defense. I have sold Fletcher, Eagles, Silvestre, O'Shea, Saha. I needed a striker, and I wanted cover incase of injuries, so thats why I got Eduardo. Last season I had Rooney, Tevez, Bojan and Saha as strikers, and when Rooney and Tevez both got injured at the same time, I struggled, so Campbell and Gignac will do there.

If I want Ramos for RB, then Ill have to get rid of Brown. Oh, and Ustari got refused a wp!!! So VDS and Foster are my only two GKs, Ustaris gone to Murcia for a season. He has 2caps already, so hopefully hell get some more.

Bought 24 players this season. Though 17 were youth teamers, 15 regens, ther other two Zeefiuk and Forster.

Is there any way of getting shot of Manucho?

you only need a squad of approx 25 players. Any additional players should all be under 18 and have a pa of at least -9 for man utd. if you have 100 players your wage bill will dent loan repayments thus forcing the club into administration.

I was only WHAT THE HELL because I saw that I had 100 player, lol. Only 30 or so are 1st teamers, the others are all under21 players with potential. I did sign 15 new regens! BTW, played the Community sheild, and because of the Olympics and injuries, Barnetta, Pasanen, Briuns, Rodriguez and Gignac all played! If I hadnt of signed Barnetta I wouldnt have had a right winger! lol.

I hate the olympics icon_mad.gif

End of Season Review 2007/08

Squad

05282008011104mw6.th.jpg

Anderson, O'Shea & Ronaldo my stand out players

Premiership & National Cups

05282008011416pd7.th.jpg

FA Cup Final

05282008011459ww7.th.jpg

Carling Cup Final

05282008011536ju0.th.jpg

Champions League Final

05282008011616mr1.th.jpg

Other Info & Reflection

The Under 18s stormed to the league championship without losing a game mainly with goals from Kodro & Saivet also helped with future captain Jordan Spence playing brilliantly..

On the news of feeder clubs.. Antwerp won promotion to the belgium top division but sadly Borges or Dalei did any good icon_frown.gif and Hearts managed a pretty crappy 9th in the Clydesdale premier division in scotland but not year will be much different

On the news of transfers.. have agreed to sign Zaccardo, San Roman, Barnetta, Shea, Ratsivoson, Mellis, Pacheco, Blanc, Kacaniklic, Weimann for the 1st of july 08 while i have other transfers including Lambo, Mauricio, Galvan etc who will arrive in more years to come, also seems i might lose Tevez & Pique to high money deals icon_frown.gif

On relegation.. Birmingham, Sunderland & Derby did end up going down so i will of course be putting bids in for the likes of Muamba, Gordon, Witsel (Sunderland), Kenwyne Jones and Giles Barnes.. .. ..FC Metz, FC Lorient & AS Nancy went down in the Ligue 1 division so bids will be placed in for Gueye, Puygrenier, Malonga & possibly Dia.. .. ..No decent teams were relegated from germanys top flight.. .. ..Livorno, Atalanta and shock horror Sampdoria were relegated from Serie A so quite a few bids will be placed for the likes of Amelia, Palombo, Fellaini, Ramires, Skjelbred and bugger all went down from spain who had any talent

Reflection.. Season went very well ending with a Barca crushing \o/, looking to bring in the youth of Lansbury, Moses, Campbell and get rid of the oldies/people who want out Rio, Pique, Tevez, Hargreaves etc

also looking to a DM \o/

Originally posted by Azzwuff:

I have started a couple of games on the demo with manu with mixed success

finally i settled on a 4 2 3 1 formation after much tinkering and restarting!!

GK

RB CB CB LB

CM CM

AMR AMC AML

ST

i have bought:

Pandev for 13Mil - Cheap Price for a good striker who also plays in the tevez mould i.e just behing the striker

Urby Emanuelson 6Mil - Bit of a last minute buy as i needed cover for Evra, looks like a prospect tho

Fernando Belluschi 7Mil - Attacking Right Winger with awesome stats

Derek Boateng CM 400k - 4th choice CM looks like another good prospect, good prive aswel

Sergei Ignashevich - Available on a free at the begginig of the game, would make most prem first teams but a back up for G Neville. (only wanted 8.5k a week)

Van Der Vaart CM/AMC 10mil - was debating to sign or not as allready had anderson but for 10 mil i had too

i have sold fletcher, park, o shea, silvestre, gibson, dong, and most of my reserve team made about 24mil

so my team is as follows: first team in capital

GK - V D SAR ~ Kuschak

RB - G NEVILLE ~ Ignashevich

LB - EVRA ~ Emanuelson

CB - FERDINAND ~ Pique

CB - VIDIC ~ Brown

CM - HARGREAVES ~ Boateng

CM - VAART/SCHOLES

AML - ROANLDO/GIGGS

AMR- BELLUSCHI ~ Nani

AMC - TEVEZ/Pandev ~ Anderson

ST - ROONEY/Pandev ~ Saha

i lost to chelsea 3-1 but up to now i have won all 6 of my prem matches and 2 of my CL matches, only conceding 3. Ronaldo got injured for the first month which gave Belulushi the first choice slot at AMR and he has been awesome, as has giggs on the left who i was going to use sparingly....Pandev has scored 4 in 4, Rooney 3, Tevez 3, Giggs 3 Vaart 1 and Ronaldo 1 Saha's just come back to fitness as has Neville and Ronaldo....Vaart plays very well as my CM next to Hargreaves who opperates more defensively but he has also been played in AMC along with Anderson. Ignashevich hasnt put a foot wrong in Neville's absense.

i would have like to have signed Johnson from Man City he looks like a good prospect, also turned into a wonderkid after a month like anderson and pique.

looking forward to ben foster hopefully coming back before the end of the season (when the games relseased!!!) and getting some games as i dont think V D Sar will be able to perfrom as well in the second season.

alltogether it looks promising for me this game, but it is the third time i started with Man Utd!!!

The editor says that Ben Foster will come back on my birthday from his injury.

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

Johnny Evans looks complete crap at the moment,

I've found in the past that with good training Johnny Evans starts coming good sometime during the second season icon14.gif

Hey Barnetboyz,

Could you also send me the tactic that Rocky mentioned? My email is my profile.

I might even start a new save with a new tactic, the one I've got a the moment is beginning to irritate me.

I'm also at a loss how you get all the star players performing so well. I've been making my own formations and tactics and I've finally accepted that I can't seem to master them so here I am asking for some help from fellow Man Utd managers.

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trigger_18uk:

Hey Barnetboyz,

Could you also send me the tactic that Rocky mentioned? My email is my profile.

Awesome!

Thanks for that, hopefully I'll have some fun now and not tearing my hair out!

Done icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by jonahno6:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lennon696:

Board just sold Ronaldo for £75mill icon_mad.gif

Gutted.

Replace him with Santi Carzorla. He's been sensational for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd get L.Messi from Barcelona, would imagine he has a 40-odd million release clause in his contract by now.

OK, because I had 100 players on my books I had a small clear up? I sold 13 youth teamers and Wes Brown to Tottenham for £14m and because Madrid were holding out for silly money, I got Dani Alves for £40m. Is that a good deal? Hes played reasonably in his 3games - 7-8-7.

New Season Begins..

Squad

05282008153602kd7.th.jpg

Any ideas were to improve? have 60M to spend but don't wanna spend to big.. Nani, Tevez & Rio might be going

Opening Season Fixtures..

Charity Shield Vs Arsenal

Premiership

Middlesbrough H

West Brom A

Chelsea H

Everton A

Wigan H

should be aiming for 4 wins and maybe a draw against chelsea (depending on how much the olympics destroys my team)

Best Youth Prospect

05282008154023we0.th.jpg

Am quite excited by him tbh, i think he could become very good

yea, i'm a big fan of bringing in and using youth asap but now i have a english based feeder club (Sheff Utd) i might send a few of them out on loan, also to Hearts aswell

i was thinking that i needed a tall TM type striker and maybe a GK but i'm not sure

Keep faith in B.Foster as Number 1, he's quality.

As for Kuscuzak, he's always done well for me when called upon. Admittedley, there are better players out there. I suppose H.Lloris, M.Neuer or J.Hart would be good icon_smile.gif

End of 1st season review

Okay, so my team have won the league after a hard battle with Arsenal and Liverpool. We really came out on top in the last 8 games where both Arsenal and Newcastle started dropping points due to a busy schedule.

English Premier Division

English Premier Division player stats

Manchester United team

Besides the Premier League i have only won the Community Shield. We lost out early in most of the cups, especially in the domestic ones where i played about 5-6 youngsters.

We lost to Aston Villa in the League Cup 4th round after a 0-0 draw and penalties (2-3). While rivals Newcastle had beaten us in the FA Cup 4th round by 1-0.

As in real life the Champions League was my main goal and we had a hard draw in the 1st knockout round as Valencia were our opponents (red hot at that time). 1-2 loss at the Mestalla and a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford ended in us going out due to a last minute effort from Maduro. icon_frown.gif

Team evaluation

Goalkeepers

Lobont has been great for me with 26 clean sheets in 49 games. He proved to be a vital player for our team in a lot of games. Kuszczak complained alot so he will be going and Ben Foster is a great backup to Lobont.

Defenders

Evra, Rio and Vida were magnificent and my first choices. I tended to go a lot for Simpson come the end of the season but Brown was great at RB too. Samba and Pineda were good backups.

Might be looking for a new RB next season.

Central Midfield

My central midfield stood out with excellence. Great pass completion from both 3 starters and they were decisive in a lot of games with Anderson proving to be a vital player when he scored. Buonanotte will have to develop more if he wants to stay after next season and Hargreaves might be going. Still looking for a young Carrick-like midfielder though.

Wingers

As usual Ronaldo was fantastic, although being VERY injury prone. He missed a lot of games wich put us in some hard situations as this part of the squad was very injury plagued. 13 goals in 25 games is still good for Ronaldo. Park gladly surprised us with outstanding performances in his 17 games. Nani might go out after a disappointing season. Welbeck was a good covering player together with Eagles and Piatti.

Attackers

Tevez & Saha were crap and i'll let them leave. Rooney scored for fun and almost became top scorer in the league. Vennegoor did okay in his games and started playing him & Rooney up front when i was having a horrid time scoring and it gelled perfectly. Welbeck sometimes started helping out here. Adriano coming next season.

Going to sort out my shortlist, reserves and U18s now. I could use some suggestions but please don't hint me to the usual suspects, i know them too and have most likely had a look at them.

I'm looking at a RB, MC (one like Carrick) and maybe a new winger (looking at N'Zogbia).

Originally posted by Scott08:

How about JP.Carrizo from Lazio, who spends the first season on loan at River. He's always been good for me. Usually available for 5-7m.

just agreed another loan to River /o\

balls balls balls

might just sign some old players to teach my youth icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Scott08:

Brown for 14m wow.. thats incredible, really incredible.

Yeah, I almost let him go for 5mil before as well!!! Then my Ramos deal fell through so I removed him from the list and Spurs came in with 11mil, they had tons of dosh, so I asked and got icon_biggrin.gif

Vinsanity

Try Luigi Bruins for midfield. Bought him for £3.5mil and he just scored 4against Southampton!!! AvgR of 7.44

Originally posted by Stomalomalus:

How about Ustair for GK, soz just saw your post BB. He has a release clause of 4.2mil at Getafe I think, so snap him up. He may not get a wp though. Hasnt for me icon_frown.gif

i've put a bid in but teh WP may be a problem icon_frown.gif

Archived