FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by mn89:

whose a good right back for man utd, cant sign micah richards as i have bad relationship with sven! Is de silvestri any good? any other options. im on 8.02 and season 2011/2012

Johnny Heitinga is performing really well for me. Has become a key member in barely half a season. Cost me €12M (approx. 9.5M£)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jakecullen:

Found a real gem of a player

Ian Rakitic

heres a screenie

Had him on my shortlist for a while now. He's in Italy atm and worth 10M!

Apparently i lost a coach (don't know when or where to) and i didn't appoint a new coach to aerobics. So some of the players are in crap shape and a lot getting injured atm icon_frown.gif Still i beat Chelsea and the top teams are within 4 points of each other!

I don't know why, but Chelsea always seem to have a marking problem when it comes to 1 striker up top! Good for me Eh?

06192008224407fo0.png

Great game for a 19 year old btw!

Hmm, I keep getting a crash where I get a windows error message saying fm.exe has encountered an error and needs to close, yet I am able to click on options and save the game before I close it. Weird. But in game, Ive got a CL QF against Real - they beat me 6-2 at the Bernabau in the semis last year, but I do have a better team now. Ronaldo isnt on form atm though - only 2 in his last 5 icon_biggrin.gif and got an FA cup QF replay against Arsenal who have only lost to me domestically all season. Still 11points clear having played a game more in the league. 8games to go now.

Arsenal just lost to Tottenham. I am now 2nd with a 3 point gap on Liverpool. Arsenal & Liverpool clash in the upcoming game so lets all give a chant for Arsenal to win this one!

Other than that just got drawn against AC Milan in the Quarter Final of the CL. They knocked me out last time after a great come back at their ground. They're having a mediocre season though and a lot of stars are out injured for months!

Originally posted by Navie:

Just finished my 4th season and my chairman has accepted a 9 million bid for Henri Saivet, he is the best young striker in my game behind Bojan, so ****ed off.

Cancel the transfer in the transfer centre screen!!!

Originally posted by jakecullen:

i played fm fo 12 hours today icon_biggrin.gif

everything was giong well in my season played 20 won 20 top of league then we lost against Derby somehow and only won 5 out of last 18

finished third though no trophys icon_frown.gif

is alves worth 40 million ?

i have just paid £45 mil for him so i hope he is worth it , will let you know how he does

Hey guys, just about to start a new game with United on version 8.0. I've told the board that I can mount a title challenge, giving me a £10m transfer budget in the process. I've decided to keep all the players in the squad at the club for the 1st season at least but looking at it, an extra striker is in desparate need.

I was wondering who people on here bought for their United squad at the start of their game with a £10m budget. All I'm looking for is a striker to at least compete with Saha or maybe even challenge Tevez as partner for my 1st choice Rooney. Thanks in advance guys icon14.gif

Well, my 2nd season has just finished to great success: Table

Ten years after the historic treble of 1999, United have done it again, and the FA CUp and CL have returned to Old Trafford - Chelsea vanquished in both finals 3-0.

Ronaldo finished with 42 goals, and 34 in 36 in the league icon_biggrin.gif

Barnetta has been sold for £10m, Carrick for £15, and Eduardo for £5m +£10m after 1 appearance, 50% sell on and £8m buy back icon_biggrin.gif

Trying to sign Benzema, and if Nani goes, Ill try for Silva to replace him. Banega is coming in for £7.5m to replace Carrick. Giggs has become a coach.

My squad may need some trimming though, with Wijnaldum and Sakho ready to step up I think. What do people think?

Originally posted by gandycoleuk:

Hey guys, just about to start a new game with United on version 8.0. I've told the board that I can mount a title challenge, giving me a £10m transfer budget in the process. I've decided to keep all the players in the squad at the club for the 1st season at least but looking at it, an extra striker is in desparate need.

I was wondering who people on here bought for their United squad at the start of their game with a £10m budget. All I'm looking for is a striker to at least compete with Saha or maybe even challenge Tevez as partner for my 1st choice Rooney. Thanks in advance guys icon14.gif

i bought ever banega- £3.5m & rafinha - £7.5m + clauses (cover for neville). a striker isnt needed in my opinion cos rooney and tevez are the dogs b******s! btu you could go for henri saivet or mauro zarate both are young and cheap.you can get zarate for about £2.5 ish. hope this helps you bud! icon_wink.gif

Cheers for the feedback arron52, always go for Saivet at the start of every game no matter who I am. Thankfully, he's my 1st signing. The reason for the striker hunt is because 3 strikers is simply not enough no matter how good they are as you never know what can happen on this game (injuries, suspensions etc) I'm just waiting for my scouts to get back to me and I'll be back later with a little shortlist to choose from.

After just receiving feedback from my scouts on possible striker targets, I have drawn up a shortlist containing strikers that are both good enough to be 3rd or 4th striker in my squad and affordable with my £9.6m transfer budget. They are:

Huntelaar

Doyle

Fred

Owen

Amauri

Defoe

Who do you think I should go for boys out of them or is there anyone else that I should be looking at and is affordable? Thanks in advance icon14.gif

After just receiving feedback from my scouts on possible striker targets, I have drawn up a shortlist containing strikers that are both good enough to be 3rd or 4th striker in my squad and affordable with my £9.6m transfer budget. They are:

Huntelaar

Doyle

Fred

Owen

Amauri

Defoe

Who do you think I should go for boys out of them or is there anyone else that I should be looking at and is affordable? Thanks in advance icon14.gif

maybe henri saivet , or adriano if hes listed

owens the best there imo

I did the best I could to get one of the six above strikers but it seems that in the end, it looks like Defoe will be the one signed.

Made countless bids for Huntelaar, Fred and Amauri with their clubs rejecting every single one with Huntelaar very upset at his club in the process. Eventually got an instalment-bid accepted for Owen but he was asking for too much money in his wages and bonuses.

So it boiled down to either Defoe or Doyle where the bids of £8m and £9m respectively were accepted on the 1st time. But it seems like Defoe could fit into my style of play better than Doyle although a target man would be nice. Maybe I'll use Saha as target man as Defoe is definitely the one coming to Old Trafford. Thanks for your advice/suggestions guys and I'll be back at January 2008 when I'll present my half-time report from the 1st season.

Hi all just stated as United my first time being them on any FM game. Im wondering how i can get the best out of Ronaldo. Im currently playing like this

----------GK-----------

DR-----DC-----DC-----DL

-------MC----MC--------

AMR-------AMC-------AML

----------ST-----------

with Ronaldo playing in the AMR position

Originally posted by mcheema23:

with the new patch will i need to start a new game for it to work?

Also how did u guys get those skins?

Yes you need to start a new game for the patch to work and you can get skins here

I've come to the mid-point of the 1st season in my United game and here is my squad's performances so far this season:

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedjanuaryjd6.jpg

As you can see, Defoe has'nt really set Old Trafford alight after his £8m move from Spurs but due to the form of Rooney and Tevez, he's only started one match when Rooney was suspended. That match was against Roma where Defoe showed his qualities brilliantly. Apart from that, Ronaldo and Giggs have been awesome, especially Giggs given a couple of niggling injuries earlier this season. O'Shea, Carrick, Anderson and Nani have all filled in at the start of the season and played well. As you can see, Nani has been ruled out for 3-4 months so I'm waiting for Park to recover from his injury in time.

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionjlw1.jpg

The lads have come back very well from a very poor start which yielded just 4 points from the first 4 league games, which included both home games being lost. Since the home defeat to Chelsea though, my players have been unbeaten for 15 games and counting to move within 2 points of leaders Arsenal.

In the Champions League, my players recovered from only gaining a point from the first 2 games to win the other 4 including a 6-3 victory away to Roma. The group also included Fenerbahce and Sporting. I've been drawn against Sevilla in the 1st Knockout Round. The Spanish side are in 5th place in La Liga and bought Mutu in the summer.

As for the domestic competitions, I'm about to start my FA Cup quest with League One high-flyers Bristol Rovers coming to Old Trafford while in the League Cup, I have a semi-final against Fulham coming up after knocking out Spurs, Portsmouth and Man City on the way. I could face fierce rivals Liverpool in the final though.

In the awards regarding my team, Giggs won the Player of the Month for December and I won the Manager of the Month for September, November and December with Avram Grant scooping up the August and October awards. Also, Ronaldo won the Goal of the Month for September with a 35-yard rocket of a free-kick against Bolton at Old Trafford.

What do you think of my season so far guys? Can I bring glory to Old Trafford with the current squad? Any feedback much appreciated icon14.gif.

The board are really annoying me at the moment. No matter how many new contracts I get Pique to sign, the board keep accepting bids from other clubs on my behalf.

So I've decided to give up and let him go. Any suggestions on who to replace him with? I'd prefer to sign someone young with great potential just like Pique. I'll be back with a shortlist later as I'm waiting for my scouts. Any suggestions welcome icon14.gif

He got injured for 3 months and after he came back and he played ONLY 2 games his stats went down, here is a screenie...

messiep3.jpg

Here is the problem, he is injury prone and i'm afraid his stats might drop further and also he is 24...which means he probably won't get them stats back which is a big let down. I spend 43.5 million on him when he was 23.

On his 'COACH REPORT' it used to say 'Carlos Queiros belives Messi is a live-wire with the ball at his feet', now this is what it says since he lost his stats 'Carlos Queiros belives Messi to be a skillful player'...how crap it that?

This is absolutely breathtaking, I just beat Arsenal 1-8 away from home, they have come 2nd the last 3 seasons and I absolutely mashed them in true style.

Adebayor was injured and Kolo Toure was unavailable, I had Anderson and Guilherme out who are my 1st choice players.

81ct1.jpg

Kallstrom, Bodmer and Toulalan from Lyon are all pretty expensive but usually worth the money.

Javi Martinez and Michael johnson are possibilities for the future.Fabregas is excellent but is very pricey.Zapater is a very good defensive option.

I would go for Veloso as first choice.

Originally posted by baz1:

Kallstrom, Bodmer and Toulalan from Lyon are all pretty expensive but usually worth the money.

Javi Martinez and Michael johnson are possibilities for the future.Fabregas is excellent but is very pricey.Zapater is a very good defensive option.

I would go for Veloso as first choice.

Michael Johnson is one of the best players in my team, Kuzmanovic is excellent too...set his creative freedom to max and he cracks defences apart.

Well, I've just completed my 1st season in my United game and here is my squad's final stats for this season:

http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedmay2008lm0.jpg

As you can see, my only summer signing Defoe stepped up a notch for the second half of the season as he took advantage of Rooney's fractured arm to form an effective partnership with top scorer Tevez. Rooney came back late on to reclaim his place and finish the season with a flourish. My midfield was stronger for the second half of the season with Hargreaves and Scholes enjoying the finish to the season while Giggs and Ronaldo continued their good form before January with the former getting over his niggling injuries suffered earlier this season. It was my defenders that let me down a little bit with only Neville and Evra gaining any credit and van der Sar was great all season.

http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionmfk3.jpg

The league went down to the last couple of games before Arsenal eventually claimed the title after a very close battle in the second half of the season. My players had done very well to get to the top before the trip to the Emirates but their late winner handed them the momentum and back to back victories at home to Chelsea and at Liverpool secured the Premiership crown.

In the Champions League, my side snatched a late aggregate victory over Sevilla at Old Trafford only for Barcelona to destroy my side 5-1 at Old Trafford. The Spanish side went onto the final in Moscow where they were shockingly beaten by underdogs Porto 2-0. In the UEFA Cup, Valencia won at the Emirates, overcoming a stubborn Lyon in the final.

There was heartbreak for my team in the domestic cup competitions as we got to both the FA Cup Final against Arsenal and League Cup Final against Liverpool. In the FA Cup, a tight and nervy affair was settled by summer signing Belluschi and in the League Cup, Gerrard grabbed a very late winner to leave United empty-handed when it came to trophies this season.

As awards for my team go, van der Sar picked up the January Player of the Month and I was named Manager of the Month for January and March. Tevez won the League Golden Boot, scoring 21 goals this season. Players' Player of the Year went to Rooney and he also made it into the Team of the Season along with Ronaldo, Giggs and Tevez. Wenger was awarded Manager of the Year with me coming second and Fabregas and Michael Johnson picked up the Footballer of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards respectively.

Overall, the board described my 1st season in charge as satisfactory despite not winning any trophies because I still managed to achieve the majority of their expectations - challenging for the league and reaching both domestic cup finals, with my performance in Europe their only cause for concern.

Squad Verdict

Looking at my squad, I think there some changes in need. The positions up for review as regards to the 2nd season are:

Goalkeeper

Right-Back

Left-Winger

Striker

Can you guys suggest any improvements needed to my squad for the above positions or have you seen anything that needs addressing that I have'nt seen. Any suggestions welcome icon14.gif

Hi all, ive just completed my first season with United in any FM game Below are the results:

The Formation and Squad:

manuformationdd2.jpg

This Formation seemed to have worked well, It got 53 goals out of Ronaldo. The only downside my strikers didnt seem to score much so next season i will adjust and see if it changes.

Transfers:

The players i signed are all for the future and have not been used in the first season.

Players in:

Henri Saivet - £500k

Thiago - Free

Players out:

I sold 11 reserve team players for just under 600k as none of them had any chance of making it.

End of season table:

manutablenc3.jpg

I was on a winning streak right up untill March 2008 when suddenly Middlesbrough pulled out a last 15 minute goal to put them ahead 2-1. I quickly regained form in the next game aggainst Reading winning 2-0

FA and Carling Cup:

Battled our way to victory in the FA Cup beating Arsenal in a thrilling 4-3 encounter

Underperformed in the Carling Cup getting knocked out in the 4th road by wigan

Champions League:

We made it all the way to the final to be defeated by a magical Barcelona team. We beat the likes of Chelsea in the quarter Finals Inter in the semi fianls

Future Transfers in for July 2008:

Luis Jimenez - £3.4M

Jose Baxter - £400k

Cristian Zaccardo - Free

Conclusion:

A decent season that gave some trophies the only major let down was the Carling Cup which the board wasnt happy about.

The squad i feel needs strengthening in goal and could do with anouther strong centre back and right back and back up left back. Anouther area that needs improving is upfront as Saha is way to injury prone and doesnt produce the goods.

Well, I've just completed my 1st season in my United game and here is my squad's final stats for this season:

http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedmay2008lm0.jpg

As you can see, my only summer signing Defoe stepped up a notch for the second half of the season as he took advantage of Rooney's fractured arm to form an effective partnership with top scorer Tevez. Rooney came back late on to reclaim his place and finish the season with a flourish. My midfield was stronger for the second half of the season with Hargreaves and Scholes enjoying the finish to the season while Giggs and Ronaldo continued their good form before January with the former getting over his niggling injuries suffered earlier this season. It was my defenders that let me down a little bit with only Neville and Evra gaining any credit and van der Sar was great all season.

http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionmfk3.jpg

The league went down to the last couple of games before Arsenal eventually claimed the title after a very close battle in the second half of the season. My players had done very well to get to the top before the trip to the Emirates but their late winner handed them the momentum and back to back victories at home to Chelsea and at Liverpool secured the Premiership crown.

In the Champions League, my side snatched a late aggregate victory over Sevilla at Old Trafford only for Barcelona to destroy my side 5-1 at Old Trafford. The Spanish side went onto the final in Moscow where they were shockingly beaten by underdogs Porto 2-0. In the UEFA Cup, Valencia won at the Emirates, overcoming a stubborn Lyon in the final.

There was heartbreak for my team in the domestic cup competitions as we got to both the FA Cup Final against Arsenal and League Cup Final against Liverpool. In the FA Cup, a tight and nervy affair was settled by summer signing Belluschi and in the League Cup, Gerrard grabbed a very late winner to leave United empty-handed when it came to trophies this season.

As awards for my team go, van der Sar picked up the January Player of the Month and I was named Manager of the Month for January and March. Tevez won the League Golden Boot, scoring 21 goals this season. Players' Player of the Year went to Rooney and he also made it into the Team of the Season along with Ronaldo, Giggs and Tevez. Wenger was awarded Manager of the Year with me coming second and Fabregas and Michael Johnson picked up the Footballer of the Year and Young Player of the Year awards respectively.

Overall, the board described my 1st season in charge as satisfactory despite not winning any trophies because I still managed to achieve the majority of their expectations - challenging for the league and reaching both domestic cup finals, with my performance in Europe their only cause for concern.

Squad Verdict

Looking at my squad, I think there some changes in need. The positions up for review as regards to the 2nd season are:

Goalkeeper

Right-Back

Left-Winger

Striker

Can you guys suggest any improvements needed to my squad for the above positions or have you seen anything that needs addressing that I have'nt seen. Any suggestions welcome icon14.gif

This thread can get a little empty at times but anyway guys, got any ideas on how to improve my squad for the 2nd season? Any help much appreciated icon14.gif

For a striker, I would recommend Roque Santa Cruz. I picked him up for £10m in my first season and he was absolutely brilliant. Won 90% of headers, scored 26 in 21 games and led the line really well. Plays best as a long stiker with Tevez/Rooney as AM with arrows going forward. Set him as a target man with ball to head.

For right-back, maybe Dani Alves if you can afford him. Or retrain Jonny Evans, and you always have Danny Simpson, he has been coming through really well.

For the left wing, Nani should be ok to fill in for Giggs, but go for Matias Fernades of Villarreal if you want to buy someone.

Goalkeeper, if you're not happy with Ben Foster, then Ustari, Akinfeev or Lloris? I have never had them personally but on the forums they seem to be good. I don't like buying much tbh.

That should be ok.

Alves (£17.25m) has just decided to accept my offer above Liverpool, Chelsea and Barcelona icon_smile.gif but had to delay it until my transfer budget comes through. This obviously means O'Shea is on his way as my scouts believe he is'nt upto Neville's standards but Alves matches it if not better them.

Starting my 5th Season

Squad is as follows

GK - Akinfeev/Bolat/Itandje

DF - Ramos/Evra/Ferdinand/Vidic/Nordveit/Taylor/Zuiverloon

MF - Hargreaves/Aquero/Fernandez/Nani/Anderson/Ronaldo/Ninis/Walcott

FW - Rooney/Berbatov/Teixeira/Saivet(on loan at Deportivo)

I have tons of cash to spend although I wont be able to spend it until January.

Tactics are

Gk

RB CD CD LB

DM

CM CM

W W

ST

Does work but would be willing to try something new.

Archived