FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

it depends what way you want your team to play.

e.g if you want your St (Rooney) to drop off and play football (set mentality a bit lower than normal) or do you want him to run onto through balls and get defenders turned (mentality to attacking and forward runs to often)

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My third season is finally over, and it has been my most successful on to date. Every competition entered we won, all be it only just in some circumstances. All in all, this season yielded a magnificent seven trophies. But before I go on with my season review, I thought Id post this screenshot as Cristiano Ronaldo again won FIFA World Player of the Year. He has now won the award 3 times in a row.

Premier League

The Premier League season was the most exciting one that I have taken part in thus far. We were hardly top at all during the season, as Aston Vill and Man City lead the way for long spells. Befroe the final day, we had only been top at 3 other points in the whole season. All of these were just for a matter of games. Eventually, we came out on top, taking the title on the final day of the season. We won our final 5 games to ensure of the title, this following a defeat at Man City which saw us fall 5 points behind them. Fortunately we won all our remaining games as City dropped points.

We finished the season on 92 points, just a single point ahead of Manchester City. We managed 88 goals, but rather disappointingly conceded 30, although that I partly put down to Vidic been out for much of the season and only appearing in half of our league games. Next season it must be improved though.

Premier League Table

Once again we failed to dominate in the end of season awards, though we did win a couple of them.

PFA Player Of The Year; Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

PFA Young Player Of The Year; Micah Richards (Manchester City)

Football Writers Association Player Of The Year; Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal)

Premier League Golden Boot Award; Jo (Manchester City) - 29 goals in 31 apps

Barclays Manager Of The Year; Thomas Lewis (Manchester United)

We also had 7 players in the PFA Team Of The Year

FA Cup

For the second season in a row we lifted the FA cup. Thankfully the road to the final this season was less of a struggle, but we still didn't perform all that well throughout the competition. Still, we managed to get to the final, where we would face our old foe's, Arsenal.

3rd Round - Hull (A) 2-0

4th Round - Watford (A) 1-0

5th Round - Everton (A) 2-0

Qtr Final - Bolton (H) 2-0

Semi Final - Aston Villa (N) 2-1

The final was the most thrilling game of the cup run. We were at full strength, with the exception of Patrice Evra who was suspended. By half time we were 3-1 up, with Michael Carrick on target and Ronaldo at the double. Ronaldo secured his hattrick in the second half, before Arsenal pulled another goal back to make the final score 4-2.

FA Cup Final

Carling Cup

For the third year running we have lifted the Carling Cup. Once again I went with a reserve/youth team line-up until the final, when I brought in more first teamers to secure the trophy. We also had one notable thrilling game en route to the final.

3rd Round - Newcastle (A) 6-3

4th Round - Plymouth (A) 2-0

Qtr Final - Sunderland (H) 2-0

Semi Final 1st Leg - Fulham (H) 3-1

Semi Final 2nd Leg - Fulham (H) 1-1 (4-2 on aggregate)

In the final we faced league leaders Aston Villa, while at the time we sat in 4th place. Quite a few first regulars were drafted into the line-up to make sure that we won the trophy, though the opening goalscorer came from the most unlikely of sources. Step forward goalkeeper Juan Pablo Carrizo! His long free kick bounced over the Villa keeper and trickled into the net, 1-0 after 6 minutes. We struggled to get the second despite them been down to 10 men after 17 minutes, but Ronaldo did wrap it up late on.

Carling Cup Final

Champions League

Once again we motored through our Champions League group, winning five of the six group games, only dropping points in the final game as I rested some first teamers as we had already qualified. Goals didnt flow, but nevermind.

Ajax (A) 1-0

CSKA Moscow (H) 2-0

CFR Cluj (A) 2-1

CFR Cluj (H) 5-0

Ajax (H) 1-0

CSKA Moscow (A) 1-1

The 1st knockout round saw us face Marseille. The first leg was away, and we were lucky to secure a 1-1 draw, Wayne Rooney equalising late on. The second leg was much more comfortable as we strolled to a 3-0 win, Carlos Tevez at the double, with Anderson getting the other.

In the quarter finals we faced our toughest test, Internazionale. The 1st leg was a thome, and we dominated the game, though failed to score as it finished 0-0. The 2nd leg was always going to be tough, and after just 8 minutes Inter too the lead. They kept pushing and could of had ore, but before they got another, Ronaldo equalised in the 38th minute. After that it was a case of holding on, we did so, and went through to the semi finals on the away goals rule.

Villarreal awaited us in the semi final, and in the 1st leg, which was at Old Traffored, we cruised to a 2-0 thanks to goals from Fletcher and Rooney. The 2nd leg was rather dull, we won 1-0 thanks to an early Tevez goal, but after that little happened. A 3-0 aggregate win, and a final against Chelsea was set-up.

As said above, Chelsea were our opponents in the final as we faced another Premier League side for the second year running in the Champions League final. With a fully fit squad, I decided to play 4-4-1-1, meaning that Carlos Tevez was left on the bench. After just 10 minutes though we fell behind as Didier Drogba netted. After 33 miutes though Nani struck back with a spectacular strike. Rooney was removed early in the second half for Tevez, and Gigs came on, but we still couldn't get the goal to put us infront. But with just 13 minutes to go Ronaldo put us ahead, and then just 7 minutes later he put the game to bed, and wrapped up our second consecutive Champions League Trophy.

Champions League Final

We also dominated the Champions League Dream Team with six players.

Top Scorers

For the third season running Cristiano Ronaldo was our top scorer. Although his amount of goals again dropped from the previous season. Carlos Tevez had a much better season. He played a few games less than the previous season, yet manged 11 goals more. Nani also managed double figures.

Cristiano Ronaldo - 55 starts 0 sub apps - 36 goals

Wayne Rooney - 52 starts 2 sub apps - 29 goals

Carlos Tevez - 39 starts 4 sub apps - 23 goals

Nani - 29 starts 6 sub apps - 12 goals

Mario Balotelli chipped in with 8 goals from 21 appearances, most of which were as a sustitute. Aquino also performed excellently whilst on loan at Burnley. Despite them getting relegated, he still managed 14 goals. And Manucho went one better while at Valladolid, getting 15 goals.

What Next?

Three legends are hanging up their boots. Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs, and Paul Scholes are all departing this summer. Danny Simpson is also on his was to Newcastle for £14million. Ben Foster will probably be sold aswell as Oscar Ustari now has Spanish citizenship so will return from Racing Santander to compete with Carrizo for the number one spot.

I hope that the long pursuit of Sulley Muntari comes to an end, and hopefully Vedran Corluka will finally be mine.

------------------------------------------

Comments and suggestions are welcome as always, And I'll be happy to upload any screenshots.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to read this!

gandycoleuk - here is a screenshot of Nani.

jonahno - here is Sherman Cardenas. I sold him to Juventus in the January transfer window for £40million after 1 international game, aswell as a 50% sell-on fee. He had been playing quite a bit in the first half of the season, but that offer was too good to refuse.

I haven't done a screenshot of Scannell because he missed alot of last season, and therefore has actually got a little poorer.

Does my Utd team needs any improve? I buy only Brittish and Irish players. I'm near the end ot 09/10 season. My squad is

GK: Ben Foster, VDS, Ben Amos

DL: Gareth Bale, John O'Shea

DR: Micah Richards, Gary Neville, O'Shea, Wes Brown, O'Shea

DC: Rio Ferdinand, Jonathan Evans, Nemanja Vidic, Gerard Pique, Michael Dawson, Craig Cathcart, O'Shea

DM: Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves

MC: Paul Scholes(still performing great!), Carrick, Darron Gibson, Darren Fletcher

AML: Stewart Downing(his description is "World-class winger"), Ryan Giggs, Aiden McGeady(trying to offload), Lee Martin

AMR: Cristiano Ronaldo, Chris Eagles(fantastic backup), Giles Barnes

I don't use AMC, my tactic is GK-DL-DR-DC-DC-MC-MC-AML-AMR-FC-FC

FC: Rooney, Tevez, Kevin Doyle, Andy Carroll, Billy Sharp, Christopher Fagan, Fraizer Campbell(Fagan and Campbell were performing brilliantly in the Reserves, so decided to give them a chance)

Also Zieler, Hewson, Matthew James, Galbraith and Welbeck are performing superb in the Reserve team.

He is for Man Utd. He'd be little more than a backup. Campbell >>> Fred. And Berba costs way too much and is too old.

Berbatov is not too old, he's in his prime. And he had an average rating of 8.04 for Tottenham last season finishing top scorer in the league.

george94 - two questions..................

1.Why on earth did you sell Tevez?

2.What are the fee's you have agreed for Berbatov and Fred respectively??

I sold Tevez because he was unhappy and did fa for me in the first season. Plus the money was important.

I ended up buying Berba for just £25 million and he was my best player last season.

So i've just started my 2011-2012 Season with United and started well with the following results:

1-5 v Chelsea (A) (Community Shield)

0-6 v Newcastle (A) (Premier Division)

5-0 v Bolton (H) (Premier Division)

0-4 v Chelsea (A) (Premier Division)

Currently top of the table (no surprise) and having sold Tevez to Everton for £32M am now looking for a back-up/rotation striker possibly Carlos Vela who is at Valencia and has a 15.5M min fee release clause but does anyone have any suggestions for a striker?

ADDED: I also got Nicolas Millan on a free and has decent attributes so might try him aswell in cup games or games i dont need to try hard in

I've finally got down to starting a new United save and this one is to be my last attempt to play a long-term United game.

I will be playing under my name which is Faiz Khan and I will turn 30 years of age on the 18th November in the 1st season. I have loaded up all English leagues as well as the Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, Scottish and Portuguese leagues.

I have got to the end of August in my 1st season. Looking at the expectations of my board, I am expected to put up a decent fight for the Premier League crown and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. I have also been expected to reach both domestic finals.

After notifying the board of my intention to at least challenge for the League, I have been given a decent if not unlimited transfer budget of £10m together with a £1.2m wage budget to strengthen a already a potential title-winning squad. The one position in the squad that really needed adding to was up front. With that, here are my transfer dealings before the end of August:

Players Out

Adam Eckersley - Watford - £675k

Michael Barnes - Sheff Wed - £100k

David Gray - Hull - £50k

Kieran Lee - Leeds - Loan + £250k future fee

Danny Simpson - Kilmarnock - Loan

Fraizer Campbell - Kilmarnock - Loan

Eckersley, Barnes and Gray were looking like they were going to turn out to be very average and plus I need some extra money, so I decided to should move on. Lee also could be on his way if he does'nt improve on loan at Leeds but hopefully, Simpson and Campbell will get valuable 1st team experience this season.

Players In

Michael Owen - Newcastle - £10m + 20% sell-on clause

Gabriel Torje - Poli 1921 - £170k + 35% sell-on clause

Oier Olazabal - Barcelona - £130k + 40% sell-on clause

Mamadou Sakho - Paris Saint-Germain - £0 + 45% sell-on clause

Henri Saivet - Girodins Bordeaux - £0 + 45% sell-on clause

Aquino - Murcia - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Younousse Sankhare - Paris Saint-Germain - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Owen is the only player to go straight into the 1st team and he will provide excellent cover the 1st choice front pair Rooney and Tevez. Aquino and Saivet have been placed in the under-18s so they can play regularly with players their age while Sakho, Olazabal, Torje and Sankhare will contest matches for my reserves. Olazabal will probably be added to the Champions League squad in case of injury or suspensions.

So, with just the addition of Owen, my squad for season 2007-08 looks like this:

Goalkeepers

Edwin van der Sar

Tomasz Kuszczak

Defenders

Gary Neville

John O'Shea

Patrice Evra

Mikael Silvestre

Rio Ferdinand

Nemanja Vidic

Wes Brown

Gerard Pique

Midfielders

Cristiano Ronaldo

Park Ji-Sung (out for around 4 months)

Ryan Giggs

Nani

Owen Hargreaves

Michael Carrick

Paul Scholes

Anderson

Darren Fletcher

Strikers

Wayne Rooney

Carlos Tevez

Michael Owen

Louis Saha

Progress So Far

Community Shield

The traditional curtain-raiser for the new season, as well as my 1st competitive game in charge, was won by my team with a hard fought 2-0 victory over FA Cup holders Chelsea at Wembley. Darren Fletcher was influential in the win as his first team incisive passes laid on both goals for Rooney. Chelsea did threaten a little bit but van der Sar was resistent to any threat with the minimum of fuss. So, the first piece of silverware on offer in the new season went to my players:

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manutdvchelseacommunitypr8.jpg

Premier League

The defence of our League crown has begun with an unbeaten run, gaining 8 points from the first 4 games. The disappointing aspect of this is both draws have come late on in the games. Otherwise, it looks like a decent start to the season with neighbours Man City leading the way with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea behind with games in hand on us. The early strugglers in the bottom three are Portsmouth, Blackburn and Aston Villa but it is still early days.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionsdc0.jpg

Champions League

As defending League champions, my team was given a bye into the group stage of the Champions League and we have been given what looks like a tricky group:

Man Utd

Valencia

Olympique de Marseille

Levski

Now into September, about to play Liverpool and Chelsea back-to-back in the Premier League and you will know about the results in my mid-season update which will be posted in January.

What do you think of my squad and also my overall transfer dealings even this early into my United career and also what do you make of my start?

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated.

simonbyrneno.4

Here are my other tactics;

4-1-2-2-1 System no.2 - The difference with this system is that the wingers and striker are set in their positions, so no interchanging. The tactics are ever so slightly different aswell.

4-4-1-1 System - Traditional wide men, (Usually Nani and Giggs), with Ronaldo playing behind Rooney/Tevez. The AMC and ST swap positions.

4-4-2 System - Ronaldo plays from the right cutting into the strikers, who are given "free role" instructions. I often play Ronaldo on the left when I use this system, which means switching the instructions for the left and right winger.

4-3-3 Sysyem - I only use this if Im say 2-0 down at half time. It doesn't always work, but sometimes, (see Blackburn result a quarter of the way down page 54), it comes off. Ronaldo is used as the central of the 3 attackers by me.

Feel free to use them if you choose, and tweak them as you wish....................but dont come back moaning at me if they dont work! ;)

there are his tactics

I have started a new game with Man U (8.0.2 Latest Update)

I Bought Berbatov as i wanted competition for Tevez and Rooney

I also signed Silva (he's a class player but i dont think i would've bought him if chelsea had'nt made a bid)

And also making a bid for Villa because i dont want him to go to Liverpool

I will post my Squad at end of transfer window

Thanks for the suggestions but transfer window finished

Oh yeah and is it just me or are my strikers on steroids, because all 3 of my strikers have all scored 6 goals in a match but Berba (top scorer) is now out for 2 months but i've got tevez to stand-in for him with Campbell and Sharp as back-up

I have just begun a new United save on the original patch. I have taken on what could be an interesting challenge by trying to achieve success with the current squad with the addition of just one striker - Michael Owen from Newcastle for £10m + 20% sell-on clause. I will be playing a flat 4-4-2 with one defensive central midfielder and one attacking central midfielder. Here is my squad for the 1st season in my United save:

GK: van der Sar / Kuszczak

DR: G Neville / O'Shea

DL: Evra / Silvestre

DC: Ferdinand / Brown

DC: Vidic / Pique

MR: Ronaldo / Park

ML: Giggs / Nani

MC (defensive): Hargreaves / Carrick / Fletcher

MC (attacking): Scholes / Anderson

FC: Tevez / Owen

FC: Rooney / Saha

I have also signed a batch of youngsters with lots of potential including Saivet, Sakho, Sankhare, Aquino and Corradini. I have others in mind at the moment including Torje and Kroos.

Anyway, I will be giving updates at the end of every season and right before the beginning of every season - so that way you will see how much improvement can be made in just 12 months.

Thanks for reading and any feedback and advice is much appreciated.

Archived