FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fellas - just started my 1st ever Manchester City Save.

Didn't start too well, got trounced 3-0 by united on the opening day, but since then have won all 8 games and am top by 1 point from United. So far so good!!

Transfers in

Huntelaar £13m

Barnes £10.75m

Samba £2.1

Fernandez £10.75m (Mathias)

Lloris £11

Eduardo £3.5 (Left back from Botafogo) Jan

Jiminez £3.1m (July)

Transfers out

Ireland 4.5m

Logan £1.5m

Isakkson Free (to reduce wage bill)

I've still got £11m any tips on how to spend it in Jan to strengthen the squad much appreciated

Sold Kuscrap for 3.5 mill got 18 mill left to spend what about Joe Matlock as backup to Evra. I'm increasing Fabio and Rafael's PA to reflect their changes for FM 09, cos it's unfair to have them about ~150 which is what they are now when they should have alot higher.

Have you already got Sahko / sakho?

I normally bring him through as cover for Evra until he is ready to play on a more regular basis.

Though I've started a new game recently and I'm planning on keeping Silvestre as his stats are brilliant and I never get more than a couple of million for him anyway.

Failing that you could always bring someone from the reserves through as cover - Lee or someone similar. Or play Simpson/Evans there in need of an emergancy.

Just about to start my 2012-2013 season with United and last season i won 7 competitions (8 if you include the Euro 2012 win with England). So i have been given a transfer budget of 150M and a wage budget of 5M of which i am currently using 1.93M.

Here is my squad:

squadxl3.th.jpg

And here is the tactic i use:

tacticdr6.th.jpg

I dont really play Anderson and am looking to sell him but only English clubs are interested and i've sold too many players to Everton (Tevez, Nani, Carrick, Defour, Ronaldinho, Evra).

If you think i need to improve somewhere tell me, and as you can see above money is no object.

I nead help getting my strikers to score? I have Rooney,Huntelaar,Tevez and Ashton but only rooney seems to score. Whats the best way to play Rooney and Huntelaar who should drop the deepest,who should close down and what instructions and CF do you give them? any help would be appreacated as im sick of the getting 6`s in allmost every match. I play an attacking 442 with my wingers with 15 CF, FWR often,RWB often,TTB often, Cross Ball often and cross from By-Line, I have one MC defensive with TTB often and the other MC attacking with FWR often and TTB often. My team instructions are Passing-11, width-11, Team Closing down-14, Def Line-13 and play offside trap. Thanks.

After going off Football Manager 2008 while I've been working, I've finally got down to starting a new United save on original patch and this one is to be my last attempt to play a long-term United game:

I will be playing under my name which is Faiz Khan and I will turn 30 years of age on the 18th November in the 1st season. I have loaded up all English leagues as well as the Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, Scottish and Portuguese leagues.

I have got to the end of August in my 1st season. Looking at the expectations of my board, I am expected to put up a decent fight for the Premier League crown and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. I have also been expected to reach both domestic finals.

After notifying the board of my intention to at least challenge for the League, I have been given a decent if not unlimited transfer budget of £10m together with a £1.2m wage budget to strengthen a already a potential title-winning squad. The one position in the squad that really needed adding to was up front. With that, here are my transfer dealings before the end of August:

Players Out

Adam Eckersley - Sheff Utd - £650k

Fraizer Campbell - Brentford - Loan

Chris Eagles - Sunderland - Loan

Kieran Lee - Coventry - Loan

Players In

Michael Owen - Newcastle - £10m + 20% sell-on clause

Gabriel Torje - Poli 1921 - £300k + 40% sell-on clause

Rene Mihelic - Maribor - £275k + 20% sell-on clause

Luca Santonocito - Celtic - £45k + 45% sell-on clause

Toni Kroos - FC Bayern - £20k + 30% sell-on clause

Aquino - Murcia - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Henri Saivet - Girodins Bordeaux - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Younousse Sankhare - Paris Saint-Germain - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Owen is the only player to go straight into the 1st team and he will provide excellent cover the 1st choice front pair Rooney and Tevez. Aquino, Santonocito, Kroos and Saivet have been placed in the under-18s so they can play regularly with players their age while Mihelic, Torje and Sankhare will contest matches for my reserves.

So, with just the addition of Owen, my squad for season 2007-08 looks like this:

Goalkeepers

Edwin van der Sar

Tomasz Kuszczak

Defenders

Gary Neville

John O'Shea

Patrice Evra

Mikael Silvestre

Rio Ferdinand

Nemanja Vidic

Wes Brown

Gerard Pique

Midfielders

Cristiano Ronaldo

Park Ji-Sung (out for around 4 months)

Ryan Giggs

Nani

Owen Hargreaves

Michael Carrick

Paul Scholes

Anderson

Darren Fletcher

Strikers

Wayne Rooney

Carlos Tevez

Michael Owen

Louis Saha

Progress So Far

Community Shield

The traditional curtain-raiser for the new season, as well as my 1st competitive game in charge, was won comfortably by FA Cup holders Chelsea at Wembley. Shevchenko scored two quick fire goals before Rooney's thunderous strike before the interval pulled a goal back for my side. But on the hour mark, Drogba forced the ball past van der Sar to secure a 3-1 victory for the West Londoners.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manutdvchelsea2007communo0.jpg

Premier League

The defence of our League crown has begun with an unbeaten run, gaining 7 points from the first 3 games. As you can see, I've conceded on average a goal per game and are yet to keep a clean sheet so far this season. Otherwise, it looks like a decent start to the season with Newcastle leading the way with Chelsea closing in as well. Liverpool and Arsenal have started slowly and are behind with games in hand on us. The early strugglers in the bottom three are Birmingham, West Ham and Sunderland but it is still very early days.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionsmk9.jpg

Champions League

As defending League champions, my team was given a bye into the group stage of the Champions League and we have been given what looks like a tricky group:

Man Utd

PSV

Sporting

Olympiakos

Now into September, and you will know about the season's progress in my mid-season update which will be posted in January.

What do you think of my squad and also my overall transfer dealings even this early into my United career and also what do you make of my start?

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated.

I envy that squad. A nice solid depth of players with 2 players for every position apart from MC which has 5 players. Well done. You need a bit of cover for Ronaldo as Park is out for 4 months, so I suggest you either loan a right winger for 4 months or train fletcher or hargreaves in right midfield. Not much else to do except buy youngsters.

Hi guys

Just started a new game with United using the new FM Weegie Update. Here is my update on how i'm doing

Transfers

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/Transfers.jpg

Squad

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/Squad.jpg

Results

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/Results.jpg

League Table

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/League.jpg

Anything I can improve in my squad?

I am going to try and bring in my Under 18s into the team next season with Rafael, Fabio, Possebon, Sakho, etc.

has anybody tried bodmer because his stats look really good and i need a replacement for scholes to the lead the attack in midfield. also has anyone tried someone else as a replacement for scholes? and how good have they been for u?

People on here really rate Bodmer, though I haven't tried him.

I normally buy Veloso - who turns out amazing, and play Anderson initially.

Cheers for the advice Jamie.

A Further update. I lost to Boca in the World Club Championship Final and beat Man City in the League Cup Qtr Final, I have Liverpool in the Semis. I won my Champions League group and now I have Real Madrid in the 1st Knockout Round. Portsmouth in the Fa Cup 3 round the holders are going out I hope!

Real Madrid have just made an offer for Ronaldo 38.5 million pounds, I rejected but now he is unhappy at not being able to move clubs (just like real life), what do you think I should do?

if it happens again you can ask for silly money, then when Real Madrid reject your counter offer Ronaldo won't blame the club and will therefore stay happy. ish.

So guys anyone got any updates on how their game is going?

I'm halfway through my season now top of the league by 7 points and still in all competitions. Not made any more signings in the Janruary transfer window. Looking to win all 4 trophies to get a decent budget for next season so I can ring in the changes looking to sell Kuzsack, Park, Brown, Fletcher and some of the unwanted youngsters. Anyone recommend signings for season 2?

Cheers

Just about to start my 2012-2013 season with United and last season i won 7 competitions (8 if you include the Euro 2012 win with England). So i have been given a transfer budget of 150M and a wage budget of 5M of which i am currently using 1.93M.

Here is my squad:

squadxl3.th.jpg

And here is the tactic i use:

tacticdr6.th.jpg

I dont really play Anderson and am looking to sell him but only English clubs are interested and i've sold too many players to Everton (Tevez, Nani, Carrick, Defour, Ronaldinho, Evra).

If you think i need to improve somewhere tell me, and as you can see above money is no object.

Singhy - Thats a very good squad you have there. Is that Rafael the one United have at the start if so how has he turned out? Where is Fabio and Possebon di you sell them? Did you make that tactic yourself it looks very attacking do you play with that home and away? Sorry for all the questions lol.

It is the Rafael that starts at United but i changed his and Fabio's PA to reflect how i've seen them play IRL and he is quality great defensively also chips in with a few goals. I sold Fabio to Arsenal for £30M (well the chairman accepted it but i didn't want to sell him). I still have Possebon but don't know if i should change his PA. I downloaded this tactic it is in the Tactics and Training forum and its the one that says I Beat Man Utd 8-0 with Chelsea using this tactic (bit ironic that really because i beat them 8-0 using it :p) and i use it both home and away.

Can I change their PA in my game or do I have to start again to be able to change it. Im gonna have a look at that tactic for next season think I need a new RB for it to do well because Neville is a bit on the old side now.

So guys anyone got any updates on how their game is going?

I'm halfway through my season now top of the league by 7 points and still in all competitions. Not made any more signings in the Janruary transfer window. Looking to win all 4 trophies to get a decent budget for next season so I can ring in the changes looking to sell Kuzsack, Park, Brown, Fletcher and some of the unwanted youngsters. Anyone recommend signings for season 2?

Cheers

It depends on how much money you have, but you may be able to flog a couple of players and pick up Danniel Alves and David Silva. Or Aguero.

Archived