FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys I need a right back just starting third season now. Neville is just too old now and Brown played at right back all last season but I want a natural attacking right back like Evra. Alves is at Barca so he's a no-no. Rafinha has gone to Madrid he's a no-no. What do people reckon of Cicinho? Attacking right-back with pretty good stats? Could probably get for about 19 mill. Thoughts?

I'm going to buy a right back at the end of the season going to have a look at this Clerc from Lyon and Rafinha. I beat Real Madrid in the First Knockout round of the Champions League 8-3 on aggregate. Hows other people doing?

Ok, i'm gonna go for Chretien I compared them they are both like dead close anyway and Chretien 15 mill cheaper.

I need a backup striker. I have Rooney, Tevez, and Berbatov. But I want 4 strikers like in 98-99 we had Yorke, Cole, Ole, and Sheringham. Any suggestions? Welbeck, Saivet, Fleck, Brandy, and Campbell aren't ready yet and i'm selling Saha because he's past his best. Also selling Manucho because he wants to go.

I was going to ask the same question about Fletcher and Park? I'm coming to the end of Season 1 and I'm thinking if I sell these two players I can replace them with better players they have hardly played for me this season.

I was going to ask the same question about Fletcher and Park? I'm coming to the end of Season 1 and I'm thinking if I sell these two players I can replace them with better players they have hardly played for me this season.

I always find that I don't play fletcher and park so i sell them early on.

Right here are my transfers so far

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/transfersnew.jpg

and my squad

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/squadnew.jpg

Manucho is the player you can't see

What do you think of these two regens my assistant told me not too sign them but I though why not

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/regen1.jpg

He has a PA 197!!!

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/regen2.jpg

He has a PA 189!

So what do you think, I dunno who to sell now Im trying to get rid of Brown and Kuzsack who are in my reserves along with Giggs and Scholes who are tutoring people.

I have no money left to spend so need to sell to buy anyone.

Appreciate any tips

My brother is so annoying lol, everytime I play a prank on him, he gets upset and deletes FM from my laptop.

I have just begun a new United save on the original patch. I have taken on what could be an interesting challenge by trying to achieve success with the current squad with the addition of just one striker - Michael Owen from Newcastle for £10m + 20% sell-on clause. I will be playing a flat 4-4-2 with one defensive central midfielder and one attacking central midfielder. Here is my squad for the 1st season in my United save:

GK: van der Sar / Kuszczak

DR: G Neville / O'Shea

DL: Evra / Silvestre

DC: Ferdinand / Brown

DC: Vidic / Pique

MR: Ronaldo / Park

ML: Giggs / Nani

MC (defensive): Hargreaves / Carrick / Fletcher

MC (attacking): Scholes / Anderson

FC: Tevez / Owen

FC: Rooney / Saha

I will be giving updates at the end of every August, start of every January and end of every season - so that way you will see how much progress can be made throughout the season.

Thanks for reading and any feedback and advice is much appreciated.

Right here are my transfers so far

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/transfersnew.jpg

and my squad

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/squadnew.jpg

Manucho is the player you can't see

What do you think of these two regens my assistant told me not too sign them but I though why not

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/regen1.jpg

He has a PA 197!!!

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee342/mark_evans7/regen2.jpg

He has a PA 189!

So what do you think, I dunno who to sell now Im trying to get rid of Brown and Kuzsack who are in my reserves along with Giggs and Scholes who are tutoring people.

Bring them back into the first team squad and set their asking price to zero. That should get people interested and then when they make an offer you can negogiate the price you want.

I normally get about 5-7 for kuzszack and about 3-5 for brown.

you may be able to get fernandez from villerial (sp) with the proceeds if you get top money for both.

I have no money left to spend so need to sell to buy anyone.

Hello everyone, I am nearing the finish of my first season with ManUnited, I am using the 08-09 updated teams patch.

I won the premiere league, in the final of the champions league, and in the final of the FA cup.

Here is my tea, can you guys recommend me any new players or players to get rid of?

uniteddd0.th.jpg

haniunited - very good season mate. I would be looking to get rid of Brown, O'shea, Park and Wayne Bridge why did you sign him for? and Fletcher. I would start thinking about replacing Giggs and Scholes now maybe just let them tutor your younger players. Maybe you need to look for a Keeper too. Hope this helps you.

Evra got injuried for couple months in a very busy time thus i needed urgent replacement, so i signed bridge as he is like a mini version of evra and was unhappy at chelsea so i got him quite easily despite the rivalry between the two clubs, very good at going up and he did help me a lot, played fairly well, did the job just right, he is a great backup.

i have to mention that i was very hesitant about moutinho but his mental attributes made me make the risk and hell he was a lot better than i expected i think in the latter stages of next season he will be my ideal replacement for scholes or perhaps anderson will take that role, we will see.

the problem is that players like park and fletcher never features a lot for me and i wont be able to get money from selling them, im sure no teams will be interested.

1st season summary(08-09) & next season(09-10) preview

I have signed Samba as CB and Guardado as a winger, who is pretty much a clone of Nani even better perhaps, as my fourth established winger.

I believe my team has been strengthened enough to live up to the expectations after winning the champions league and the premiere league.

Squad for next season:

GK: (1)VDS, (1)Foster.

Defense: (1)Evra, (1)Vidic, (1)Ferdinand, (1)Neville, (2)Brown, (3)Oshea, (?)Samba.

Midfield: (2)Hargreaves, (1)Carrick, (1)Scholes, (1)Giggs, (1)Ronaldo, (1)Nani, (?)Guardado, (2)Anderson, (2)Moutinho.

Attack: (1)Tevez, (1)Rooney, (1)Berbatov, (3)Manuchu.

Key: 1-1st choice. 2-same level as 1 but starts less frequently. 3-rotation/backup

Below are players brought in for senior squad (for upcoming season) compared to their "clones" that i already have:

Samba (Central Defender)

guardadopz8.th.jpg

Guardado (Winger)

sambamo9.th.jpg

I've also invested in these young players and added them to the youth team:

Wijnaldum Georginhio (attacking midfielder)

John Bostock (attacking midfielder)

Henry Saivet (striker)

I could buy Messi and co but i prefer to play the game the way i want to play it, just like reality, and like Sir Alex does, never sign super stars, sign players who could become ones. I also never use tactics from this forum, as i regard it as cheating...i use my own tactic that is tweaked to work the best with my squad; An attacking minded, slow temp 4-4-2 with heavy focus on not conceding whilst keeping the attacking momentum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary for my first season:

Premiere League: Champions.

leaguepc7.th.jpg

The reason i lost only once is that i play full games not highlights, i watch all my games and study the opponent very well and tweak my tactics to exploit theirs, so i almost always succeeded to score after going down. the only team to beat me was pompy away from home. towards the end of the season i started to get tired and just wanted this season to end to i played the last 5-6 not important league games with extended highlights. oh and i also played the FA CUP FINAL with extended highlights, didn't really care for it...

League Cup: Hammered by Chelski, out Semi Final.

FA Cup: Lost 0-1 to Chelsea in the final.

Champions League: Easily beat Porto in the 16 then got hammered by Fiorentina 4-0 half time away form home but Manuchu came to the rescue and snatched two early goals in the second half, then Ferdinand bagged another in the 93rd minute. Underestimating them almost led to a disastrous early exit from the champions league so take my advice and take your opponent seriously. Anyway i battered them at old trafford by a Berbatrick (Berbatov Hattrick). Won 1-0 at home to beat Arsenal in the semis then drew 1-1 at Emirates. Beat Inter Milan 1-0 in the Final with an own goal by Vieira in the final 15 minutes.

No players were bought or sold in this season because it is supposed to be like the current 08-09 PL season.(I use the 08-09 patch).

Interesting Info:

-Scolari hates me so much that he publicly expressed it.

-I've managed to get some good relationships with fellow managers and with my players, will aid me in stealing their youngsters in the future (e.g Tottenham, Arse, Westham, Wigan).

-english clubs are doing very well in contineltal championships.

-Liverpool replaced three managers.

-City are looking like title challengers (finisghed 4th), signed ben afra and they already have robinho as i use the 08-09 patch.

-Milan (AKA team with average player age 78) won the mighty UEFA Cup.

-Demolished the scousers 6-0 at Old Trafford in the league.

-Managed to keep Ronaldo happy without ever hearing this Madrid bullocks.

-Used mind games to get Bolton relegated, I just don't like them. their managers said he will be happy if Chelsea win the league or smth like this, i looked and they were in safe zone 5 points clear of Fulham so i replied "You can still get Bolton relegated you know..." later after beating them 3-0 i sent them on a three match losing record and said that i am unsure he is the type of man i want in the game then all his players got low or okay morale and lost the rest of the games and got relegated.

-Fav personnel in 4 of my players.

-FC Bayern German champions, Barca Spanish champions, Inter Italy champions.

-Barca sign Arshavin in January after he already signed for Fiorentina in August, sounds a bit bizarre.

My take on the season and myself:

I started very well, crushed lesser teams home and away, struggled a bit against stronger teams away from home but still manged to snatch three points almost always. Definitely excelled against the other teams of the BIG FOUR as i had to face Arse, Scouse, Chelski away from home in the first half of the season, managed to draw with Arse and Chelski and beated Scousers 2-1 at Anfield :).

Chelsea gave me a good run for my money, although the final gap is not small, it was no bigger than 1 point until week 35 of the league as they had a disastrous run and bulked under my mind games pressure..

I regret not attacking whilst playing big teams at home as i realized later in the season that i am more than capable of playing with confidence no matter what the opposition is made of, if i play at home. I also regret playing perhaps a bit more than needed defensively in the champions league away from home as i almost got beaten by Fiorentina 4-0 but a super tactical move from me (yes im bragging) ensured i score three and end the game 4-3 with three away goals and beat them later at home to qualify to the semis.

Top scorers:

Rooney - 28

Berbatov - 25

Tevez - 22

Ronaldo - 21

Manuchu - 12

Scholes - 9

Nani - 6

Ferdinand - 4

Hargreaves, Vidic, Moutinho(singed January), Anderson, Bridge(January)- 2

Evra, Giggs, O'Shea, Carrick - 1

Top Performers

Ronaldo - 7.25

Ferdianand - 7.23

Brown - 7.22

Foster - 7.2

Berbatov - 7.2

Moutinho - 7.19

Tevez - 7.18

Evra - 7.18

Rooney - 7.16

Nani - 7.16

Giggs - 7.16

Vidic - 7.15

Manuchu - 7.14

VDS - 7.14

Flethcer - 7.13

Bridge - 7.11

Scholes - 7.08

My take on my players:

Players that surprised me are Moutinho and Manuchu, the first i signed by coincidence, of course i heard of him before but never ever considered signing him as i thought i have enough creativity and flair in my midfield but a team had a bid accepted for him and sporting had to inform me of that because united and sportig have an agreement so if i matched the bid they were obliged to accept mine too and leave it to the player to decide, i said i have nothing to lose so i went for it after studying him very closely and monitoring his form and he turned out to be insanely good for me. The number of assists he had for half a season with half the games of this half season not playing in is nothing short of wonderful - 9 assists.

Manuchu caught my attention as i did not consider giving him first team appearances at first but after a couple of impressive goals and injuries to Rooney and Berbatov I had to have players to dominate in the air up front so i played him and he impressed but i was still not convinced that i should not buy another strike until he scored a couple away from home against Fiorentina so towars the end of the season he was a regular sub and sometimes a started in relatively easy games.

Bridge, some asked why on earth i bought him but Evra had one hell of an injury in the most busy period in the season. I had chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, chelsea again and then city to play and i had two defenders missing so i needed a good reliable defender to fill in for Evra, i remembered that i read earlier that Wayne Bridge is far from happy at the Bridge, i scouted him and compared him to Evra and thought that he will do exactly what i want a left back in my tactics to do, perhaps not as good as evra but my predicion was right and i was right to "disobey" my scouts whom i usually listen to. he did pretty well for me, bagging 2 important goals and going forward very well assisting the midfield whilst attacking, he also didnt have a step wrong defensively. I sold him to Tottenham after the end of the season as he started whining about first team football, jeez.

I was pretty harsh on some of my players, as i had to sacrifice some of them in order to get some important three points. Players like Rooney suffered some hard times under my management as i used him to man mark some players in some games and in other games left him isolated upfront, resulting in a fairly inconstant season for him and despite of all this he still managed to be the teams top scorer.

Other players i misued at times are Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves, Tevez. Buy hey! it worked, we're double champions after all, and I never give a fly if a player is upset or happy, all i want is consistent results from the team.

Thanks for reading, I'm really glad i can share my FM stories here on this site with such a wonderful community

please leave a reply

Any recommendations, comments, thoughts? fellow managers...

I think you should accept and get a proper replacement.

He is such a good young player and will definitely play interntational sooner rather than later, so you will get 20m out of nothing.\

btw what are we talking about pound? euro? dollar?

Can anyone please comment on my first season i spent lots of time typing :p

hey just a quick update on my 1st season with united on the latest weegie update

players i signed :

sankhare 925k

anthony Obodai<get on this guy hes mint

victor moses 2.9m

frederic Bulot 300k

Rivaldo 1m< just for this season still class

joe Mattock 1.5m

Players out :

gibson to Qpr 3.6m

hey guyss :) first post :$ :D

lol, right so im at xmas in first season (no patches :$) and im really struggling for goals.

Rooney, 19 in 28 apps, tevez at 14 in 21(3) apps...And ronaldo, what a let down at 8 goals in 31. :(

my tactic doesnt seem to be working for him, but we are still 2nd in the league, 9 behind chelsea with 2 games in hand, its winnable ...Still in all COMPS as well.

I need a striker, a good one who will score alot of goals for me.. Sergio Aguero is a nono as i only have 18million, trying to sell park etc....

They want an offer of 30m...I DONT HAVE THAT :D its 17.25 up front and 11 odd over 18 months, cant really afford it.

Any others? good finisher would be ace..thanks

Jesus Christ mate we dont want your life story!!!

After going off Football Manager 2008 while I've been working, I've finally got down to starting a new United save on original patch and this one is to be my last attempt to play a long-term United game:

I will be playing under my name which is Faiz Khan and I will turn 30 years of age on the 18th November in the 1st season. I have loaded up all English leagues as well as the Spanish, Italian, French, German, Dutch, Scottish and Portuguese leagues.

I have got to the end of August in my 1st season. Looking at the expectations of my board, I am expected to put up a decent fight for the Premier League crown and reach the semi-finals of the Champions League. I have also been expected to reach both domestic finals.

After notifying the board of my intention to at least challenge for the League, I have been given a decent if not unlimited transfer budget of £10m together with a £1.2m wage budget to strengthen a already a potential title-winning squad. The one position in the squad that really needed adding to was up front. With that, here are my transfer dealings before the end of August:

Players Out

Adam Eckersley - Sheff Utd - £650k

Fraizer Campbell - Brentford - Loan

Chris Eagles - Sunderland - Loan

Kieran Lee - Coventry - Loan

Players In

Michael Owen - Newcastle - £10m + 20% sell-on clause

Gabriel Torje - Poli 1921 - £300k + 40% sell-on clause

Rene Mihelic - Maribor - £275k + 20% sell-on clause

Luca Santonocito - Celtic - £45k + 45% sell-on clause

Toni Kroos - FC Bayern - £20k + 30% sell-on clause

Aquino - Murcia - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Henri Saivet - Girodins Bordeaux - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Younousse Sankhare - Paris Saint-Germain - £0 + 40% sell-on clause

Owen is the only player to go straight into the 1st team and he will provide excellent cover the 1st choice front pair Rooney and Tevez. Aquino, Santonocito, Kroos and Saivet have been placed in the under-18s so they can play regularly with players their age while Mihelic, Torje and Sankhare will contest matches for my reserves.

So, with just the addition of Owen, my squad for season 2007-08 looks like this:

Goalkeepers

Edwin van der Sar

Tomasz Kuszczak

Defenders

Gary Neville

John O'Shea

Patrice Evra

Mikael Silvestre

Rio Ferdinand

Nemanja Vidic

Wes Brown

Gerard Pique

Midfielders

Cristiano Ronaldo

Park Ji-Sung (out for around 4 months)

Ryan Giggs

Nani

Owen Hargreaves

Michael Carrick

Paul Scholes

Anderson

Darren Fletcher

Strikers

Wayne Rooney

Carlos Tevez

Michael Owen

Louis Saha

Progress So Far

Community Shield

The traditional curtain-raiser for the new season, as well as my 1st competitive game in charge, was won comfortably by FA Cup holders Chelsea at Wembley. Shevchenko scored two quick fire goals before Rooney's thunderous strike before the interval pulled a goal back for my side. But on the hour mark, Drogba forced the ball past van der Sar to secure a 3-1 victory for the West Londoners.

http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manutdvchelsea2007communo0.jpg

Premier League

The defence of our League crown has begun with an unbeaten run, gaining 7 points from the first 3 games. As you can see, I've conceded on average a goal per game and are yet to keep a clean sheet so far this season. Otherwise, it looks like a decent start to the season with Newcastle leading the way with Chelsea closing in as well. Liverpool and Arsenal have started slowly and are behind with games in hand on us. The early strugglers in the bottom three are Birmingham, West Ham and Sunderland but it is still very early days.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=englishpremierdivisionsmk9.jpg

Champions League

As defending League champions, my team was given a bye into the group stage of the Champions League and we have been given what looks like a tricky group:

Man Utd

PSV

Sporting

Olympiakos

Now into September, and you will know about the season's progress in my mid-season update which will be posted in January.

What do you think of my squad and also my overall transfer dealings even this early into my United career and also what do you make of my start?

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated.

Archived