FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Hey guys I've just started my first game on FM08 and chosen my beloved Man Utd.Just finished 2007/2008 season today and so far it's been pretty good.Brought in Huntelaar, Alex(Vasco) and Lescott.I sold Evra Silvestre and Fletcher.

I enjoyed my first season with a fantastic treble.I won European Champions League.Premiership and the League Cup.Won the league with 83 points.I also reached the FA Cup final,losing to Chelsea 2-1 thanks to a Drogba brace.Ironically, I also faced Chelsea in the League Cup and Europeans Champions League finals.

Now into 2008/2009 and I just bought Mika Aaritalo and Matias Fernandez.Lost the Community Shield to Chelsea 3-2, but we picked ourselves from that defeat to win our opening game of the league with a 3-2 victory over Arsenal, thanks to a late goal from Rooney.

Just finished my match against Liverpool and we won 5-0.Huntelaar scoring a hat-trick as well.What I enjoyed the most was the first half performance in that match.5 goals scored and we had 17 shots while Liverpool had 0!

I'm going to continue with my game now, will post more on my progress.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After winning the CL and Prem in the first season, I've deleted my saved game.

I had the automatic rolling save set up and whilst trying to delete some of them from the games folder, I deleted my latest game!

I shall start a new game tonight so back to the drawing board.

Did people have to transfer list Fletcher to sell him or did you just get offers for him?

Thanks,

Duds

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

To be honest. Even with the players, then 59 is pretty awesome in my eyes. You buy the same players as me, start a game, and see for yourself if you get close to the 59 games. If you can't then don't comment on it, if you manage to do it. Hands up for you, well done icon_smile.gif

I'm not saying how much it cost me, but I'll say it wasen't just giving my Full Transfer budget for one player, it requires some patience, timing and luck icon_smile.gif

but again. You're lucky I'm in a happy mood, otherwise I'd call you names cause of you're comment on my 59 unbeaten run icon_smile.gif

On further examining, you still have the bulk of your team which you start with. The point here being is you have wat 200-300 million transfer budget in 2 seasons, to purchase those world class players without even selling your key players ?

So you have a mysterious secret transfer budget in the game and achieve an awesome 59 unbeaten run and you proud of it ? Good for you then.

Originally posted by davidbowie:

I'm calling shenanigans on Illdisposed.

If you are going to cheat, then cheat all you want, but don't come into threads talking about majestic unbeaten runs like.

Originally posted by Dudley01:

After winning the CL and Prem in the first season, I've deleted my saved game.

I had the automatic rolling save set up and whilst trying to delete some of them from the games folder, I deleted my latest game!

I shall start a new game tonight so back to the drawing board.

Did people have to transfer list Fletcher to sell him or did you just get offers for him?

Thanks,

Duds

It depends. But usually I try transfer listed + not needed by club. Some clubs will definitely knock on the door.

Originally posted by uberownage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

To be honest. Even with the players, then 59 is pretty awesome in my eyes. You buy the same players as me, start a game, and see for yourself if you get close to the 59 games. If you can't then don't comment on it, if you manage to do it. Hands up for you, well done icon_smile.gif

I'm not saying how much it cost me, but I'll say it wasen't just giving my Full Transfer budget for one player, it requires some patience, timing and luck icon_smile.gif

but again. You're lucky I'm in a happy mood, otherwise I'd call you names cause of you're comment on my 59 unbeaten run icon_smile.gif

On further examining, you still have the bulk of your team which you start with. The point here being is you have wat 200-300 million transfer budget in 2 seasons, to purchase those world class players without even selling your key players ?

So you have a mysterious secret transfer budget in the game and achieve an awesome 59 unbeaten run and you proud of it ? Good for you then.

I'm calling shenanigans on Illdisposed.

If you are going to cheat, then cheat all you want, but don't come into threads talking about majestic unbeaten runs like.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point was you accused me of Cheating, that's pretty low, and without just cause. Theres no "secret" budget, no massive Transfer fees, no using editor if you're suspicious to that as well. I enjoy you calling me a cheater cause of the worldclass players I've managed to sign.

I'm pretty proud of the 59 games, unbeaten. Seems to me some people are having difficulties winning the league.

To be fair, i didn't make the post to Gloat, and make other feel bad...

.oO(I hope you get sacked) lol

The point was you accused me of Cheating, that's pretty low, and without just cause. Theres no "secret" budget, no massive Transfer fees, no using editor if you're suspicious to that as well. I enjoy you calling me a cheater cause of the worldclass players I've managed to sign.

Show us your transfer history, finances, team information screen (and not selectively edited ones).

If it appears legit, I will happily withdraw my accusation, or at the very least not mention it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The point was you accused me of Cheating, that's pretty low, and without just cause. Theres no "secret" budget, no massive Transfer fees, no using editor if you're suspicious to that as well. I enjoy you calling me a cheater cause of the worldclass players I've managed to sign.

Show us your transfer history, finances, team information screen (and not selectively edited ones).

If it appears legit, I will happily withdraw my accusation, or at the very least not mention it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Manchester United information screen

manchesterunitedinformabf8.jpg

Manchester United finances summary

manchesterunitedsummaryxz7.jpg

Ok?

Guest LuNcroAtiC

Hi everyone. I was reading through this thread and i thought i might share my expirience with ManU in FM 2008.

First season: Only bought Pandev, didnt sell anyone, i won the league and CL without much hassle. Pandev and Rooney were scoring like theres no tomorrow.

Second season: Won the FA cup, Leagu Cup and the leagu with the same amount of points as Manchester city, i lost to Barca in CL quarter finals. Bought Felipe (GK) for 20 mil euro and Fraga (GK) for 500k euro, sold Vidic to Chelsea for 45 mil. euro mid-season.

Tactic: I play 442 diamond attacking, with a lot of individual instruction tweaking every few months.

My team is:

- Pandev and Rooney in attack (Saha and Tevez as backups);

- Carrick as DMC (Hargreaves in reserve);

- Nani as ML and Ronaldo as MR, switching positions with arrows towards attack (Giggs was my ML for the first season, he's reserve now, Park is my all round reserve);

- Anderson as AMC, he's amazing btw (Scholes was playing most of my first season, he's a backup now);

- in defence Evra, Pique, Ferdinand, O'Shea (used to be Vidic instead of Pique before i sold him, reserves are Silvestre, Neville, Brown and Evans from ManU Reserves)

- GK: Mostly Van der Saar, but Felipe is slowly taking over (he's a wonderkid)

Im glad i didnt get rid of Giggs and Scholes because they're still playing great and they decided quite some games which were looking like a certain 0:0.

Thats pretty much it icon_smile.gif

Illdisposed - please dont treat us like idiots. You have probably added in a new manager (at Barca for instance) and accepted a transfer fee of nothing for Ronaldinho, same with ur other signings, hence the reason you have blanked out the fee. Total and utter noob, go away with ur 59 game unbeaten run - my 4 year old sister could do it with a team like that.

Nice! So assuming you're right, then I've added multiple managers just to get ONE player from each team?? .. I don't think so. And yeah, I've hidden the Fee's. I Ain't showing what i paid for them. If you look at the Screenshots, then you can see i haven't added any money. I must admit I really didn't expect being called a cheat just because i can sign players which i assume other people are having difficulties with. I find it sad that you guys accuse me of being a cheat. Players aren't everything. Tactics matter as well. I can't be bothered to try and convince you people of me simply picking the right time and money for the players.

If i cheated, why would a wait each season to sign the players, why not just buy them all as soon as i launch the game ?? How comes theres a date for players being signed.

You are a cheat.

Blanking out prices is evidence of you being a cheat. You are branded as a cheat, and will need to show us evidence that you are not cheating before you are unbranded.

Claiming that "you don't want your secret tactic" is just lame.

Veloso would cost 20 million.

Quaresma would cost 15 million.

Aguero is worth 26 million. Cost to buy is probably 35 million, at least.

Barzagli, another 32 million.

Buffon, 30 million. Maybe more.

Ronaldihno. 35 million.

Alves. 30 million.

You managed to buy 200 million worth of players?

Which means you would need a transfer budget (which is just from the club, this does not include money from player sales), of 135 million?

In Season one you will be lucky to get 10 million.

In season two, you could conceviably have 50 million.

Leaving you with a shortfall of 100 million left in the 3rd season.

Cheat

Show us the transfer pages without blanking the costs

Originally posted by Evon:

Ffs, this thread is getting popular. I need advice on something quickly. I'm pondering over striking options to backup Rooney and Tevez or replace/rotate Tevez.

I'm wondering whether to go for a) Pandev-as I did in the demo where he did just as well if not better than Tevez in the month or so I was on the demo, a month as in FM month btw-, b) Some other striker yet to be determined but preferably a natural frontman in the build of Saha without the fragile body ofc or c) nobody at all and stick with Campbell.

And btw, Lloris looks ffffb. Mental stats aren't good enough yet and kicking could do with improving but essentially a much better version of Kuszczak.

Evon, try Rodrigo Palacio from Boca - not sure how much I padi but I thin it was about 10m. I had him on the demo and when my game arrives he will be my first signing. FB - fast, great skill snad finishing and the fans love him and therefore the board like me. Also he works well with Rooney and Tevez.

Originally posted by uberownage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamboSteven:

Lionel Messi has just signed a new contract at Barca and has a release clause of £44.5M icon_eek.gif

It would wipe most of my budget out but shall i go in for the kill?

yes he is a must get. Just got him for 42M. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn he is not interested in a move just yet icon_frown.gif

What season are you in m8?

oh and sorry for the double post...but you brought in Dinho and Alves in at the beginning of the 2009/10 season. You're currently in the January Transfer Window. It shows that you had a 29mil transfer budget and after your 'trading' you have 25mil. After adding your budget raised by selling all those players, it seems that you managed to buy both Dinho and Alves for 20mil.

Sorry for being so skeptical and all. But if you're not cheating, please share your wonderful dealing strategy with the rest of us who are not so well-informed as you are.

Another plausible explanation would be the presence of a bug icon_redface.gif

End of Season 2008/09 Update

Manager’s thoughts on the season

A successful season. Not where I had hoped, but still, winning the Champions League is a great achievement. I also won the League cup, and did well in the other competitions. I was also handed a contract extension.

In the league we had a long (7 game iirc) winning streak towards the end, worked into the position of advantage, having a game in hand on equal points with Chelsea, with a handful of games remaining, but we threw it away losing to Tottenham, and then drawing 0-0 with Man City in 2 pathetic displays to virtually hand Chelsea the title.

The FA Cup was relatively easy, until we got smashed in the Semi-Final by Arsenal, we both managed 17 shots, but they put 13 on target, we only put 5. They scored 3. We score 0.

The League Cup run was punctuated with a 3-2 extra time win at Arsenal in the 4th round, after that we dispatched Tottenham, Villa in the semi, and then demolished Fulham 4-1 in the Final.

Champions League we went undefeated through the group stage, and knocked out Steua Bucharest in the 1st KO stage. After that, we faced Benfica and won 4-1 on Agg. The Semi Final we faced Real Madrid. In the first leg (away), the team was 0-1 up for the majority of the match. A cynical challenge from Vidic, lead to a red and a turn of the table, with Madrid capitalising to send us into the home leg 2-1 down.

In a surpising home leg, we opened the scoring in the 20th minute through Rooney, follwed by Tevez scoring 10 minutes later, and again 10 minutes after that. Madrid had no answer their shooting was somewhat off, only putting 7 from 17 on target. That put us into the final against Olympique Lyonnais.

The final was a tale of 2 halves. The first half a tight, close game, no side scoring at all. Within 2 minutes of the restart we had exploded out to a 2-0 lead, Scholes taking getting forward and taking a 25 yarder from a Kieta error. Shortly after that Tevez finished off a well worked move from close range. New 18 year old signing Georginino Wijnaldum topping off an incredible match from him by putting the game beyond doubt shooting past their keeper on 66 minutes, and then scoring a bending thunderbolt from 30 yarders in the dying minutes.

Table

Transfers

Squad

Cup competitions/Confidence

Confidence

Transfer targets

Not sure. Possibly a natural left footed attacking winger. Maybe a defender, depending on if Pique, Rio or another defender is sold in the window.

Awards

Ronaldo: English Football of the Year, Players' Division Select, Champions League Best Player, Champions League 3rd best Goal, Champions League Dream Team,

Portugest Best Foriegn Based Player, Fans player of the Year

Me: Manager of the Year 2nd.

Nemanja Vidic: Players' Division Select, Champions League Dream Team

Wayne Rooney: Champions League 2nd Best Player, Champions League Dream Team

Nani: Champions League 3rd Best Player, Champions League Dream Team

Leighton Baines: Champions League Dream Team

Paul Scholes: Champions League Dream Team

Rio Ferdinand: Champions League Dream Team

Jonathon Evans (On Loan at Rangers): Scottish PL Young player of the Year

Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie 7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ec$t@$io:

Sorry the link went pear shaped icon_frown.gif

Here it is again.

http://www.impeuro.com/The -E-.tac

here ya go.

E Tactic.

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha Ha now am doing it.

E Tactic </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for trying but it would seem it just doesn't want to take the link script.

Maybe it will work now:

http://www.impeuro.com/The-E-.tac

So you got Ronaldinho on a free transfer on 1/7/09. How did you manage that when his contract doesnt run out until 2010? Seems a bit erm... strange to me.

To be honest, I dont care what you have done though. But surely you got to understand people will shout cheat when they look into things you are saying. And people will go to extreme lengths at times to try make out they are brilliant manager etc so becoming a manager to sell 1 player from each club aint that much trouble. I could make managers and get the players I wanted in probably 10minutes, that be 1 from about 8 different teams. Really doesnt take long and if that how want to play fine, but people will always suspect cheat when got a team like that in a short space of time.

Jambo - Yes.

Illdisposed.

Ronaldihno on a free.

Sure...........

You saying that he should sell Carrick shows what you know about the game; absolutely nothing!

I showed you my transfer history, without blanked fee, and all of them, wasen't my plan at the beginning, but couldn't be bothered to try and convince you without, so i just went ahead and posted them all.

Now it's your turn to tell me, why isn't it possible to sign Ronaldinho on a free when i managed to do it ??

And PLEASE, i want you to comment on all my major transfer deals.

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

Jambo - Yes.

Illdisposed.

Ronaldihno on a free.

Sure...........

You saying that he should sell Carrick shows what you know about the game; absolutely nothing!

I showed you my transfer history, without blanked fee, and all of them, wasen't my plan at the beginning, but couldn't be bothered to try and convince you without, so i just went ahead and posted them all.

Now it's your turn to tell me, why isn't it possible to sign Ronaldinho on a free when i managed to do it ??

And PLEASE, i want you to comment on all my major transfer deals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbh it is actually impossible to get him for free.

For a start you cant deduct years from someones contract, his runs out in 2010 at start of the game so you didnt get him due to contract expiring.

A bid of £0 would be laughed at throughout the world then quickly rejected by the Barca manager!

They also would not release this player as it would occur a huge amount of compensation to be paid and would get money for him any day of the week.

As a conclusion you cheated to get him, i really don't care but admit it to those who do!

Originally posted by xx11:

So you got Ronaldinho on a free transfer on 1/7/09. How did you manage that when his contract doesnt run out until 2010? Seems a bit erm... strange to me.

I didn't do anything, it was more the player himself, the newly appointed Barcelona coach, and the players agent icon_smile.gif

Okay about the manager player switch thingy, i thought it would take much more time to do, but i guess I'm wrong. I'm fine with people calling me a cheat, i know i didn't cheat, so why should i care? what I'm thinking about is the simple fact that he accused me of being a cheat without any "evidence" or reason. Instead of launching a "you've been branded as a cheat" hetz against me, he could have asked me nicely, and i would have shared it with all the Manchester United gamers out there. But now i won't. If you check the players I've gotten, and for the price, i was highly surprised myself when the clubs accepted, and even the players, i offered them low wages. (My wage policy)

My hardest transfer was clearly Buffon, he had no intention of leaving his club, and it took me 1 extra season, and winning the Champions League to get him, + All my efforts towards the team had been ignored, completely.

Originally posted by JamboSteven:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidbowie:

Jambo - Yes.

Illdisposed.

Ronaldihno on a free.

Sure...........

And PLEASE, i want you to comment on all my major transfer deals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbh it is actually impossible to get him for free.

For a start you cant deduct years from someones contract, his runs out in 2010 at start of the game so you didnt get him due to contract expiring.

A bid of £0 would be laughed at throughout the world then quickly rejected by the Barca manager!

They also would not release this player as it would occur a huge amount of compensation to be paid and would get money for him any day of the week.

As a conclusion you cheated to get him, i really don't care but admit it to those who do! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This ain't Real life, theres no compensation (as far as I'm aware) if a player leaves on a free. I think theres some important details you've forgotten with regards to the game. Ronaldinhos contract had no expired so that wasen't how i got him.

There really isn't a bug in my game regarding Transfers, just look at Buffon, it took me ages to get him, and the fee was high as well. But he is truly worth it!

I didn't do anything, it was more the player himself, the newly appointed Barcelona coach, and the players agent

Okay about the manager player switch thingy, i thought it would take much more time to do, but i guess I'm wrong.

Correct me if im wrong but this tells us nothing about why you are not a "cheat" and does not overpower the facts i stated before. The biggest peice of evidence which has been presented is he can't actually be signed on a free transfer!

Post above didnt work sorry. Here it is a lot more clearer =

I didn't do anything, it was more the player himself, the newly appointed Barcelona coach, and the players agent

Okay about the manager player switch thingy, i thought it would take much more time to do, but i guess I'm wrong.

Originally posted by diontheace:

Jambo - Yes.

Illdisposed.

Ronaldihno on a free.

Sure...........

It's easy when you cheat, obviously.

Maybe if you had waited a year until his contract had run out, then cheated, we might have believed you. But there is no way in hell Barcelona would possibly let their most expensive asset go for free, it just doesn't happen. Also your prices for Aguero and Quaresma are idiotically small. Not going to happen. Maybe if you showed us who was managing barcelona now, but of course he's been sacked, because you added a manager. If you can show an unblemished (I.e no player made managers) Barcelona managerial record, then we'll believe you, if you can't, then I'm afraid your a cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They wanted to leave their clubs badly, i had shown my interest, increased my bids, one after one. And finally the clubs accepted.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4374/barcelonacoachsv7.jpg

Frank Rijkaard left Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho got unsettled, i made an offer, but the club rejected. Ronaldinho got annoyed. After Barcelona had played like 20 games in their season, i noticed Ronaldinho had 1 subbed game. And straight after he went to the press he wanted more first team football otherwise he would leave. I made an offer, but barcelona rejected. Now i can't remember with 100% accuracy, but after the bid was rejected, The agent of Ronaldinho told me his client wanted to leave badly, and his destination was Manchester United.

So i offered 20 million, was rejected. Then i offered straight after a free transfer, and they freaking accepted, i almost fell of my chair icon_smile.gif

That's how i got Ronaldinho. But i must admit, he played terrible and the beginning, but now he is INCREDIBLE !

Some records against: Chelasea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Arsenal

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7852/manchesterunitedvsarsendl0.jpg

Chelsea

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7944/manchesterunitedvschelstr8.jpg

Liverpool

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9906/manchesterunitedvsliveryd1.jpg

.. How incredible would this be, if it was the future Manchester United results against their rivals? icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by diontheace:

That just shows Him and some more of his coaches leaving, that looks even more suspicious. I just want to see a list of Barcelona managers since your game started.

I think this is what you want, It's the only thing i could find that shows anything about Rijkaard.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4654/barcelonalandmarksju4.jpg

if It's not what you wanted, then guide me through the Screenshot you want icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ole!:

dionetheace..havent u got anything better to do with your life man...jesus leave the boi alone

Diontheace has been cool, and just asking for some proof, which is fine by me, I'll show any Screenshot people ask for.

Dabidbowie is the naughty one, who's "branded" me as a cheater, and his only argument is that the players are simply to expensive, and i don't have near enough the Transfer budget. Even when i showed him the transfer history screen, he said it was cheat.

*Hides his face behind his hands, and shakes his face - speechless*

I've run into an unexpected problem. Assistant Manager Carlos Queiroz won't accept my new contract offer, his current one runs out in 10 days. He wants £26,500 Per week. But my board will allow me wages up to £25,000 per week. I've tried change my wage budget. Up to £2,023,062 per week. But my maximum offer is still the original £26,500 .. What on earth can i do ?? I'm desperate to keep him!

Has anyone else had problems with their transfer budget in the second season? the board told me they were letting me have 33M with 1.7 on wages. But...this never appears and remains on the amount I had left over from last year (6M ish) with the season budget still stated as 10M from the first year, if that makes sense?

mike

Archived