FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Pre-season update 2009/10 - Sponsored by MESSSSSSIGOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Pretty good pre-season. Sold Carrick and Gibson, decide to keep Pique. No-one wanted Saha, plus I probably need him as 4th choice striker.

About 3 weeks before the end of the transfer deadline, the board piped up and gave me an extra budget of 42 million.

With the money that the Gibson deal gave me, I had about 48 million.

Messi's buy out clause was 44 million. Been looking for a AMC playmaker to replace scholes. Anderson, whilst good, is more of an impact forward.

Why not give it a shot. I had a 2nd choice (well, more like 1st choice with my old transfer budget), but he fell by the wayside. Barcelona had to accept. Messi wanted 5k more than my wage budget, but I gave him a boost in sign-on fee and he joined up. Shirt sales should skyrocket apparently.

Other Transfers:

Teams are still trying to get Ronaldo off me, fat chance. Inter, Arsenal, Chelsea, Real Madrid Milan all making bids around 40 million. All rejected.

Thiago - Rated as future leading premiership potential, I signed him from Barcelona on a free, does not look too bad, worth 3.5 million right now.

Paul Milton - My best scout (20/20), rated him as a possible future leading premiership player. Since I've got him in, that has been downgraded to "Good" but he was worth 700k and 25% on sale. Worth a chance.

In other news:

Board have started on a 16,000 seat expansion to OT. Completed in about 2 months. Total capacity should be about 92,000 all seated. Sold 50,978 Season Tickets.

Transfers

Transfers

Squad

Squad

Formation

Formation

Expectations for the season

Confidence

Long Term - Win Premier Division in next 2 years.

Champions League - Semi Final

Super Cup - Win Super Cup

Premier Division - Challenge for Title

FA Cup - Reach Final

League Cup - Reach Final

Community Shield - Win Shield (Lost 2-0 to Chelsea).

Pre-season odds

Chelsea - 2.75

Man U - 3.00 (before I signed Messi)

Arsenal - 15.00

Tottenham - 26.00

Everton - 34.00

Remaining transfer budget - 8,760,000. I'm only looking at possibly signing Yassu Cabrera, scouts rate him as possibly being a future leading premiership player, price would be about 3 million. He plays AMLRC/FC. Worth a chance I guess.

Remaining wage budget - 250,000

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just about to start second season with opening four games Chelsea, L'pool, Villa, Spurs. without Ronaldo and Nani cause of the Olimpics

only finished 4th in first season 13 points behind Chelsea. Say i only kept my job with by winning CL. Altogether i've spent bout 30m but only on back up players really

Gk VDS, Foster, Grohe

DR Neville, Simpson

DL Evra, Emanuelson

DC Pique, Rio, Vid, Coloccini

DM Hargreaves, Veloso

CM Gibson Carrick

RW Ronaldo Farfan

LW Giggs Nani

Am Scholes Anderson

ST Rooney Tevez Defoe Bojan

Originally posted by JC_CH07:

changing contracts in the editor llldisposed icon13.gif

Yeah! Nice one, my big secret is that I've used the editor, you've gotten me. I surrender. /sarcasm

Holy crap. I ain't replying to any other posts to this subject any longer, it's gotten a bit to far icon_smile.gif I'd rather just check other peoples progress with their games instead of defending myself.

/ Illdisposed Out

End of the first season, won the treble and just been offered 15mil+Dos Santos for Evra..alllready got Marcelo as back up and 19mil from arsenal for pique...allready got breno, evans(looks awesome allready a wonderkid) and cathcart as back up icon_biggrin.gif happy times

the evra for 15mil+dos santos deal collapsed because dos santos didnt want to come to my quadrouple winning team icon_biggrin.gif then barca offered 18mil for marcelo and it was accepted on my behalf but luckily he rejected them so i think i'm going to keep Evra as #1 and marcelo as #2

also iv got so many wonderkids in my team Banega, Marcelo, Evans, Felips, Nani, Anderson, Breno ... who said you cant win anything with kids icon14.gif

Originally posted by Dazbo101:

Can anyone give me any help on how to score from corners, i just cant seem to do it even with the mighty vidic in the team. Ive got a good corner taker with bale, i just dont know where to assign the players?

I have just left the players on the default settings for corners and Vidic is my joint top scorer. 3 goals, all from corners, in 4 games.

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC_CH07:

changing contracts in the editor llldisposed icon13.gif

Yeah! Nice one, my big secret is that I've used the editor, you've gotten me. I surrender. /sarcasm

Holy crap. I ain't replying to any other posts to this subject any longer, it's gotten a bit to far icon_smile.gif I'd rather just check other peoples progress with their games instead of defending myself.

/ Illdisposed Out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol....cool man icon_razz.gif

Guest Metaphysical

that actually all makes sense EXCEPT...

...quaresma is consistantly bought in the first transfer window, but for 19 million. that you got him for 7 is very suspect.

...aguero for 9 million also seems very low. in my second season I tried to buy him and had to pay 30 million. so, hrm.

...ronaldinho is just ridiculous. even with your story. rijkaard leaves in 2007, but you only sign ronaldinho in 2009? and you can't "offer" for a free transfer unless his contract is running out - which it wouldn't be one year before it actually does. you can offer "£0", but it doesn't say "£0", it says "free"

Originally posted by jamesberner:

My Players

playerssf8.th.jpg

League

leagueit7.th.jpg

My Tactics

tacticsfn9.th.jpg

Transfers in and out

transfersinandoutjf7.th.jpg

Long Term Targets

longtermtargetsaz5.th.jpg

Best wins

bestwinfg9.th.jpg

anotherbestwinloljq8.th.jpg

anotherbestwinmx8.th.jpg

cheats arent welcome here, you are the only person on the whole SI community that had ridiculous amounts of cash to spend and getting ronaldinho on a free is extremely far-fetched, but, if you show us some concrete evidence of where those funds came from im sure you would receive an apology from everyone who doubted you, including me

Jesus christ your all still going on about this?!

It's like watching bickering children in a primary school.

Anyway, back on topic - Things starting to work for my Utd team after a shaky start, Rooney has hit excellent form in my new tactic (4-4-1-1) where he plays in the 'hole'. Anderson is another star in the making tbh, whenever he comes on he scores! Ronaldo is another one who's hit a fair bit of form, scoring and assisting. T'is all good.

P.S. What is up with Tevez's fitness?! I play him one game and he's screwed for like the next 3 games.

Guest Metaphysical
Originally posted by Sheps.:

Jesus christ your all still going on about this?!

It's like watching bickering children in a primary school.

Anyway, back on topic - Things starting to work for my Utd team after a shaky start, Rooney has hit excellent form in my new tactic (4-4-1-1) where he plays in the 'hole'. Anderson is another star in the making tbh, whenever he comes on he scores! Ronaldo is another one who's hit a fair bit of form, scoring and assisting. T'is all good.

P.S. What is up with Tevez's fitness?! I play him one game and he's screwed for like the next 3 games.

tevez's fitness and attitude are still leftovers from the previous games when he was at lesser clubs and had attitude problems, and should be changed now he's at united and settled.

My team as of feb first season and im 2nd in league behind chelsea

GK: Kuszcek

DC:Pique Rio Vidic

LWB Taiwo (sold evra to barcelon for £17.5m)

RWB:Rafinha

MC:Hargreaves Anderson/Scholes

AML: Nani

AMR: Ronaldo

FC:Rooney

buy saivet from bordeux he's amazing for reserves and i played him in league cup final agaisnt arsenal and he scored

How much does Ustari usually cost for those who have bought him, im in second season and need a decent keeper, sold kuszczak and have got van de sar and foster but both keep making mistakes. Ive offered 20 mil for ustari but they rejected.

Get Lloris instead. Much younger. Will be as good if not better. And will only cost 20 million (as opposed to 30 or 40 in all probability).

As for illdisposed, I've just added him to the ignore list. Solves that problem easily enough.

halfway through my first season, kept nearly evrything as standard and Imtop of the prem by 3 ponts, SF League cup, 1st knouck out Champs league and 3rd round FA cup so far.

Made one signing!!

Owen form Newcastle for £9,000,000 (get out clause) been absolutley class, scored 17 in 28 games.

needed a striker because Tevez got injured for 3 months.

great bargain!!!

You won't believe in the mess im in, Im in debt with United and had to sell all my Good players like Vidic,Ronaldo,Rooney etc, I finished 4th by the skin of my teeth and the board said that i could try and buy players, I bought Okkas from Celta Vigo, Raul Bravo, Karemi and Nedved, The Team has won the first 4 game even though we have played easy teams but the Debt is going and the future is Bright with me in Charge

Playing a 5-2-3 now with wingbacks. I use rooney + ronaldo + either one of Amauri or tevez as my strikers and hargreaves + either pique or banega as my DM's. Sometimes i will drop 1 striker into an AMC and use either nani or anderson. I prefer this formation, i beat chelsea away with it 4-0 so its good for me.

07/08

Finished the season winning the league with 90 pts. Chelsea 2nd and City Third.

Won the league cup against Newcastle.

Lost the FA cup to Chelsea.

Won the champion league against Inter Milan.

Transfer in

Micheal Owen - £9m

Sergey Ignashevich - free

Saivet - 450k

Wijnaldum - 250k

Out

Chris Eagle - £1.5m - Watford

Dong Fangzhou - £1.4m - Norwich

Manage to fence off most of the suiters for Pique.

My squad

GK - VDS

DR - G.Neville/W.Brown

DL - P.Evra/M.Silvestre

DC - R.Ferdinad/Inashevich

DC - N.Vidic/G.Pique

MC - O.Hargreaves/M.Carrick/D.Fletcher

AMR - C.Ronaldo/Nani/Park

AML - R.Giggs/Nani/Park

AMC - Anderson/P.Scholes

ST - C.Tevez/M.Owen

ST - W.Rooney/L.Saha

Notable players

W.Rooney - 40 goals 16 asst 7.14 Avr rating

Ronaldo - 22 goals 14 asst 7.17 Avr rating

Anderson - 13 goals 22 asst 7.30 Avr rating

Tevez - 27 goals 7 asst 6.93 Avr rating

Awards

W.Rooney - English Footballer of the year, EPL top scorer.

C.Ronaldo - English Player's Player of the year.

Anderson - Runners up English Player's Players of the year.

6 playes - EPL Divison Select.

Hopefully will be able to challenge all front next season. Transfer wishes - replacements for VDS, G.Neville, R.Giggs, P. Scholes.

Originally posted by Rydo L:

Selling Rooney and Ronaldo = Big mistake.

I would start again mate!

plz, i sold ronaldo for 50m pounds to real, best piece of business i've done! helped me get aguero, bit pricey (beginning of 3rd season), but he's made up for it and then some! 21 total apps, 18g, 12a, 7mom... stud!

Originally posted by seongchow:

07/08

Transfer in

Micheal Owen - £9m

Saivet - 450k

Wijnaldum - 250k

Out

My squad

GK - VDS

DR - G.Neville/W.Brown

DL - P.Evra/M.Silvestre

DC - N.Vidic/G.Pique

AML - R.Giggs/Nani/Park

AMC - Anderson/P.Scholes

ST - C.Tevez/M.Owen

ST - W.Rooney/L.Saha

Notable players

Awards

Hopefully will be able to challenge all front next season. Transfer wishes - replacements for VDS, G.Neville, R.Giggs, P. Scholes.

How do you get C.Ronaldo to perform so well?

Originally posted by seongchow:

07/08

Transfer in

Micheal Owen - £9m

Saivet - 450k

Wijnaldum - 250k

Out

My squad

GK - VDS

DR - G.Neville/W.Brown

DL - P.Evra/M.Silvestre

DC - N.Vidic/G.Pique

AML - R.Giggs/Nani/Park

AMC - Anderson/P.Scholes

ST - C.Tevez/M.Owen

ST - W.Rooney/L.Saha

Notable players

Awards

Mind posting your tactics?

thx in advance

to Ricardo Kaka - I use him as AMR, set his arrow run into penalty box in between the 2 strikers. He will score lots of goal from there.

to m4g1z - i use 4-1-3-2, if you can see my squad. Both AMR and AML run into penalty box. The rest no arrows. I have counter attk on the rest off. I did set my own instruction on team and individual. I do not know how to post screen shot if not i'll post mine tactic. Or you could let me know how to do it i'll post it later.

Guest Sir BLADE XII

I have Huntelaar a target man... hi form i amazing, my new van nistelrooy!! Adapt well with partners rooney, anderson and tevez!! Just cost me 8.7mil

I have filipe for 3.5million as cover for evra.... Now try to sign rafinha to rotate GN...

Miguel Veloso i also a good signing....

My cheap signing youngster Jovatic!!

Originally posted by diego_maradona:

wow i will never won treble without cheat

you dont have to cheat just need to pay attention to every match specially cup games. you still need to tweak the tactic during games and do not expect to win with just one tactic. Cheer mate!

How much does Ustari usually cost for those who have bought him, im in second season and need a decent keeper, sold kuszczak and have got van de sar and foster but both keep making mistakes. Ive offered 20 mil for ustari but they rejected.

in the 2nd half of my 1st season, i offered up to 18mil for him and got rejected... then the moment the season ended, i declared interest and such and he said he'd love to join us... so i tried 13mil and it got accepted coz their board felt it was too good a offer to reject -_-'

hes great btw

Originally posted by Ricardo Kaka':

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by seongchow:

07/08

Transfer in

Micheal Owen - £9m

Saivet - 450k

Wijnaldum - 250k

Out

My squad

GK - VDS

DR - G.Neville/W.Brown

DL - P.Evra/M.Silvestre

DC - N.Vidic/G.Pique

AML - R.Giggs/Nani/Park

AMC - Anderson/P.Scholes

ST - C.Tevez/M.Owen

ST - W.Rooney/L.Saha

Notable players

Awards

How do you get C.Ronaldo to perform so well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More amazingly, how did you persuade Tevez to put the darn ball in the net?

must say i'm really enjoying the new FM, much more than the previous few...but it can be so damn aggravating. Bought sparsely over the summer (just Banega - £2.7m and Armand Traore - £6m) and despite a poor start to the season with players getting on my back, we're now having a really good run and catching up on the leaders.

And here's the pinnacle - absolute nailbiter:

aveitol6.th.jpg

Well before I deleted my game bu accident, Tevez got 37 goals in the first season and was on 16 halfway through the second season.

One thing I have noticed from reading here is that Tevez is never average..... he's either amazing (as he was for me) or absolute pants and never scores!

I played a straight forward 4-4-2 though I set Tevez's mentality to attacking by moving it a couple of notches to the right.

Rooney also has an attacking mentality with high creative freedom and he set up loads.

My target man supply was into feet.

Try that and see if Tevez improves for those who are struggling with him.

Thanks,

Duds

I have filipe for 3.5million as cover for evra.... Now try to sign rafinha to rotate GN..

I am Schalke and Rafinha is extremely over-rated, personally i wouldn't dare fork out for him, look elsewhere if you want an opinion of someone who has managed him for a year and a half icon14.gif

I'm not having any trouble with Tevez as he's my top goalscorer at the moment. I am, however, having trouble in the champions league. I've got quite a hard group containing Valencia, Lazio and Dynamo Kiev. I played Lazio with my 4-4-2 formation and got destroyed 4-1 but I have beaten both Kiev and Valencia after changing the tactics. Although against Valencia I started off playing a 4-5-1 but reverted to 4-4-2 later, which resulted in me grabbing 2 goals. This has flumuxed me as to what formation I should play in the CL? Any tips?

year 2010.

Foster

Brown Vidic Ferdinand Evra

Ronaldo Tevez Hargreaves Nani

Berbatov Rooney

only one signing, man utd are still rich, anderson has only been able to play 15 games since 2007 because of all his injuries, Rooney is most expensive player in the world and Man Utd captain, only just took over: went from Leeds to Celtic to Man Utd and Man Utd only won the league once in the 3 years i was with leeds/celtic and didnt win anything else but fergie never got sacked (he retired).

Archived