FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by b101:

must say i'm really enjoying the new FM, much more than the previous few...but it can be so damn aggravating. Bought sparsely over the summer (just Banega - £2.7m and Armand Traore - £6m) and despite a poor start to the season with players getting on my back, we're now having a really good run and catching up on the leaders.

And here's the pinnacle - absolute nailbiter:

aveitol6.th.jpg

nice going dude! but why did u sub tevez after he scored 2!? lol

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kingeric07:

I'm just starting out. Any ideas for a good, cheap right back?

sergey ignashevich u can get him on a Free Transfer

Im having a great first season with United. I'm dominating midway trough the season. However my recent form isn't good and Chelski almost got me. I'm playing 4-4-2 Diamond and i must say my tactic rocks. The guys are playing very beautiful football and are making some really good plays. So in the beginning of the season i asked the board for more money thats how i got Berbatov for 30M. Here are some pics:

Transfers - Berbatov is doing great. His stats arent amazing, but he takes almost every ball and continues my attacks, while Saivet played only 2 games for me but got 3 goals. I recommend Berbatov as a great targetman. However he's too expensive.

pic.php?u=7101FG1Q3&i=33546&file=.jpg

My Team

pic.php?u=7101FG1Q3&i=33545&file=.jpg

Tactics

pic.php?u=7101FG1Q3&i=33544&file=.jpgpic.php?u=7101FG1Q3&i=33543&file=.jpg

Standings

pic.php?u=7101FG1Q3&i=33542&file=.jpg

hey

G Neville is gettin on a bit and not performing to well for me so i tryed to buy Micah Richards i offered them 20M upfront with another 20M over 24months and they still dint accept so i bought Alves instead he was a great buy just 10M upfront and 19M over 24 months. if anyones got any further than the first season (i just started my second) is it easyer to get Micah Richards later on?????

Originally posted by bemerry:

hey

G Neville is gettin on a bit and not performing to well for me so i tryed to buy Micah Richards i offered them 20M upfront with another 20M over 24months and they still dint accept so i bought Alves instead he was a great buy just 10M upfront and 19M over 24 months. if anyones got any further than the first season (i just started my second) is it easyer to get Micah Richards later on?????

I managed to get Richards first season for 27.5m over 24 months icon_smile.gif

I guess I'll get in on this as well. As a big big United supporter, of course I started my game as them icon_smile.gif Currently midway through my third season, doing much better now that I have my tactics sorted out icon_wink.gif I guess I can give everyone a little screenshot review of how things have gone icon_smile.gif

2007-08

- Finished 4th in the league

07/08 Table

- Won Community Shield 1-0 against Chelsea

- Crashed out in 3rd round of Carling Cup to Portsmouth on penalties icon_frown.gif

- Won FA Cup on pens against Sunderland (yes, really, Sunderland!)

- Champs League Semi-Final, lost to Real 2-0 agg icon_frown.gif

-

07/08 Transfers

Rooney was a beast in the first season, 27 goals! Ronaldo and Anderson really came on good and added a lot to the team.

2008-09

- WON the league!!

08/09 Table

- Lost Community Shield to Chelsea 2-1

- Quarter-Final Carling Cup

Out to Liverpool on pens icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

- Lost in FA Cup final to Tottenham on pens (bad year for penalties icon_frown.gif )

- Champs League first knockout round loss to Inter 2-1 agg icon_frown.gif

08/09 Transfers

Anderson came on into being a beast this season! 21 goals! Rooney & Tevez also added 21 each! Sold Ronaldo in Jan for 50m, who can pass up 50m??? Granted Ronaldo is amazing, but you can always get someone who can play the area and more for 50m icon_smile.gif

2009-10

Into January so far this year, in a neck and neck run with Tottenham for the league.

09-10 League through Jan 2

- Won Community Shield 4-0 against Tottenham

- Into the League Cup Semi-Final against Liverpool

- Into 3rd Round of the FA Cup against Manchester City, replay coming up

- Drawn against Shakhtar in the CL first knockout round

09/10 Transfers

Current Squad

So far this year is going well, through competitions pretty easily, little hang up in the FA Cup with the replay. Tevez is killing it with 22 goals in 30 apps, but Aguero is a god!!!!! icon_smile.gif

I'll update again at the end of the year icon_smile.gif

Can anyone seriously help me ?, its going terrible on my man utd save. I cant seem to get any good resulsts + i have poor passing complete, possession, goals scored and to many concededs.

Please help here some SS of my recent matches + tactics:

derbyzt4.th.jpg

hullvm3.th.jpg

tacticslz8.th.jpg

I have both a home and a away tactic, the away tactic is ofc a bit more defensive. Im playing 4-4-2 with farrows on the wingers + swapping with the wingers. I also have individual settings like free role and hold up ball on FCL etc.

I Usually try to tweak my tactics during the game, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions ?

Originally posted by Powermonger:

I thought I'd start my own ManU game, I can't believe how bad some of the coaching staff ManU seem to have. Looks like some mass redundancies are going to have to be handed out.

i did a major clearout of staff, all my training categories now have 7 stars apart from 2 which have 6 stars

End of season update 2009/10

End of season league table

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/davidbowieWAU/Fm/Mu-S3-End/Squad.jpg]Squad

This was like last season, except we started off more slowly. Plus our end of season run did not stop a few games short, we roped in Chelsea eventually, and after Chelsea lost to Portsmouth on their "game in hand", we were on equal points with a few games left. It went down to a final day shootout.

I played Sunderland. Chelsea played Blackburn. If I won, I would win the title (barring Chelsea winning by 9-0 or something). Chelesa were never in danger of losing, Pandev scoring in 3 minutes, Blackburn having a man sent of in 5.

We had a slightly tougher match, with ex United player Dan Simpson scoring an OG to open the scoring. The score remained 1-0 at HT. We scored 2 more to go 3-1 up, until Sunderland scored leaving it 3-2 and a very nervous last 15 minutes. Happily, Tevez scored in the 84th putting the result, and the title, beyond doubt.

Cup competitions

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/davidbowieWAU/Fm/Mu-S3-End/Confidence.jpg]Confidence

Community Shield - Lost 0-2. Stupid Chelsea.

Super Cup - Won 4-2. Def Barcelona.

Carling Cup - Utter failure. I tried the "Wegner" style of playing reserves and young players. We lost in the 2nd match to West Brom.

FA Cup - Lost 1-2. Stupid Chelsea.

Champions League - Won 5, Lost 1 in the Group Stage of Bordeaux, Porta and Parma. Qualified First. Defeated Lyon, then Inter, then had my reveng on Chelsea, lost to Arsenal in the final.

Club World Championship - Beat a team from Mexico 4-1, then a team from Japan 3-0 in the Final.

Transfers

Transfer targets

Asamoah Gyuan - Young Ghanese Target Man. Need a striker to replace the terrible Huntelaar (who is rotting in the Reserves) and also replace Saha whose contract runs out in a few months. Anderson seems good enough to step up as the 3rd or 4th striker (and Messi substitute) but I big target man will really help our Campaign.

Awards:

Ronaldo - Writer's Player of the Year, Portugese Best Foriegn Player of the Year

Rooney - Writer's 2nd Player of the Year

Tevez - Writer's 3rd Player of the Year, Golden Boot 2nd, Fan's Player of the Year

Messi - EPL Goal of the Year 2nd, EPL Most Assists

Hargreaves - Champions League Dream Team

Nani - Portugese Best Foriegn Player 2nd.

Rio - EPL Highest Average Rating.

Me - Manger of the Year

EPL Team of the Year players:

Valon Behrami, Baines, Rio, Nani, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez

Best 11:

Lloris

Bains, Vidic, Rio, Behrami

Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Nani

Messi

Revez, Rooney

Subs: Foster, Pique, Anderson, Ninis, Brown

All Time Best 11

Lloris

Baines, Vidic, Rio, G Neville

Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Nani

Scholes

Rooney, Tevez

Subs: VDS, Evra, Behrami, Pique, Brown

Well for starters Vidic should be starting instead of Pique.

You should probably be playing a formation with an AMC like a 4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-1-2.

The AMC should be Scholes for Season 1.

Rooney out of the team? I assume that's only because his conditions is pretty poor.

Put playmaker, counter and target man on.

Target man = Every striker.

Target Man Supply = Run onto ball.

Set through balls to often for the attacking players.

Playmaker = Ronaldo and Hargreaves/Carrick

Tackling hard, for the entire team. I don't see any benefit in putting tackling to medium or easy.

Sell Eagles. He won't develop into a "United" class player in FM 08.

Gibson can go as well. You already have Carrick and Hargraves. Carrick can go in season 2/3, use Pique as the backup DMC to help keep him happy, because you will want to at least develop him to see if he could replace Rio if you last over 4/5 seasons.

Priorities:

A good wingback to replace Neville.

A young, potentially leading Premiership keeper to replace VDS.

hey all, this is my first post and I require someones help, if not everyones! I got the game a few days ago and few game days into it i started getting offers for Vidic and Rio, i turned them down but now they are all p$%%^d off.

I am now in the january transfer window and have received offers for vidic, 16million, the cash could be handy, although i am a great admierer of him Oh, as it turns out, now Evra feels like a prisoner.

Any help is valuable!

Regards,

Chris

just started a new game, am selling vidic for 10 mil + Marcelo, gd or bad decision? Am gonna replace with pique and find a new young player as back up

Originally posted by davidbowie:

Well for starters Vidic should be starting instead of Pique.

You should probably be playing a formation with an AMC like a 4-4-2 diamond or 4-3-1-2.

The AMC should be Scholes for Season 1.

Rooney out of the team? I assume that's only because his conditions is pretty poor.

Put playmaker, counter and target man on.

Target man = Every striker.

Target Man Supply = Run onto ball.

Set through balls to often for the attacking players.

Playmaker = Ronaldo and Hargreaves/Carrick

Tackling hard, for the entire team. I don't see any benefit in putting tackling to medium or easy.

Sell Eagles. He won't develop into a "United" class player in FM 08.

Gibson can go as well. You already have Carrick and Hargraves. Carrick can go in season 2/3, use Pique as the backup DMC to help keep him happy, because you will want to at least develop him to see if he could replace Rio if you last over 4/5 seasons.

Priorities:

A good wingback to replace Neville.

A young, potentially leading Premiership keeper to replace VDS.

Okay i try some of your advises m8. About my poor start line up. It was only because of the game against hull, wanted to rest some players.

About the hard tackling, i just remember given away to many penalties if DCs have hard trackling in 07

Originally posted by Jamieastonis:

just started a new game, am selling vidic for 10 mil + Marcelo, gd or bad decision? Am gonna replace with pique and find a new young player as back up

You can get much more. Look for 20 mil plus before you accept.

Evra, you can sell for about 15 mil to Lyon. Get Baines in for half that.

yeah i just finished my jan window in season 1:

sold Vidic for £20m + 30% - he was being really arsey and wanting to leave etc

brought in Criscito (£10m), Scott Sinclair (£3m) and Marcelo Grohe (£3m) to replace them...tbh Wes Brown (!!!) has even been better than Vidic so it kinda solved that problem. Also now top of the league (albeit momentarily) 2 points ahead of Arsenal who have a game in hand.

Just out of interest, if you say you'll win title to the board at the start of the season, do you get sacked if you don't?

Originally posted by davidbowie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamieastonis:

You can get much more. Look for 20 mil plus before you accept.

Evra, you can sell for about 15 mil to Lyon. Get Baines in for half that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems to work better bowie first time in the season i have more pass completed than the opponent + having more than 70% + having more than like 51% possession

Hey guys justt finishd my firstt season on the game. It went pretty well!!

Won:

Premier league

Champions League

Runners Up:

League Cup

FA Cup

Transfers In:

Van Der Vaart 11M

Pandev 13.5M

Amuari e/x with Saha

January:

Javi Martinez 16.5M

Transfers Out:

Bardsley 2M

Dong 1.8M

Gibson 2M

Saha e/x amuari

Fletcher 6.5M

Simpson 2M

An some of the other reserves

January:

Carrick 26M!!! to sevilla(I know i couldnt even believe it!!)

Starting my 2nd season got given a budget off around 52M pounds

but add 35 mill to that as i just lost tevez to ac milan!! icon_mad.gif

Ive had a 53M bid for silva(valencia) accepted should i do it??

Also athletico Madrid want 38M for aguero should i do it??

i only looked in here on accident, read the end of your last post and...no

i dont see the point in spending so much on 1 player when you could get 3/4 players in that would strengthen the squad even further

Ive wrecked my whole season cant beleave it.

im chasing liverpool in the prem 9 points behind a game in hand so theres alwyas a chance.

carling cup i lost to liverpool eventual winners

fa cup got knocked out by newcastle in quater finals 1-0 i blame nani and the referee nani got sent off for an elbow 10 minutes in and tevez goal got ruled out which should of stood.

champions league i had sevilla i underestimated them first leg away at there ground was 2-0 up in 25 minutes then a mad 10 minutes kanoute hit a hat rick. came out second half and fabiano scored and made it 4-2 to sevilla.

second leg finsihsed in a dull 0-0 draw i would of had barca in the next round aswell.

i suppose the only highlight so far was beatin arsenal 6-2 and a league double over chelsea

silvestre wants to go so im selling him so can anyone recommend a back up left back for evra?

vida and hargreaves both fell out with tevez vidas made up with him now but hes made hargreaves unhappy i dont want to selle ither as tevez is my top scorer and hargreaves is class anybody else had problems with tevez?

i wouldnt replace pique i would loan him out he becomes class in a few seasons (i loaned him out for the first and the second then kept him in the squad as backup in the third) he is now awesome and is getting games regualy i wouldnt sell him he has great potential!!!!!

for god sake this thread moves really fast lol

just to let everyone know how stupid chelsea are hehe. they bought silva for 58M and they dont even play him he is in the first team squad but they have played 5 games and he hasnt featured in any im gunna put in a bid of 30M and see if they accept it. ill let you all know about it if i get him!

Well im 21 league games into the season unbeaten only drew two games, beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool 15 points clear looking good for title

Many many thanks to davidbowie for the tips on how to get most out of Ronaldo i use a simaler formation to his with both wingers with funs to attack, Ronaldo has won the 2007 World Player of the Year,06/07 European Footballer of the Year and 06/07 European Midfielder 0f the Year with 21 league apperances 19 Goals 6 Assists and 6 Man of Match trying to get my other wingers to contribute around the same anyone got any ideas who i could buy for that possition.

My first post in a topic of this kind so bare with me guys. I have just finished my first Utd season in FM08 and heres how it went.

It went much better than I expected. I made a poor start to the season and was worried but it came good at the end despite a bout of poor form right before the season ended.

Premiership: Winner - W24 D10 L4 - 82pts

Chelsea finished 2nd with 77pts but it came down to the last game where I only needed a point to win the league. Liverpool were awful and Arsenal were a threat until the remaining 6-7 games. If I am totally honest I shouldnt have won the league dropping this many points. I drew far to many games.

Champions League - Winner

Beat Dinamo Kiev 3-0 in the final. I knocked out Arsenal and Chelsea on the way. Kiev beat Barca in the semis.

FA Cup - Winner

Beat Spurs 3-1. I was very lucky tho for reasons I will mention below.

League Cup - 4th round

Knocked out 1-0 by Newcastle away. I sent out a strong side but they played poorly.

Community Shield - Lost

Lost to Chelsea 3-2. The start of a poor run of form early on.

Transfers In - Ignashevich - Free

Took the Nevilles place at the start of the season, did very well but GN came back and had a great season and poor old Sergey hardly featured again. Hes now unhappy icon_frown.gif

Transfers Out - None

Ok now my thoughts on things overall (sorry for wall of text btw). I played a fairly standard 442 formation. I had 4 major problems thought the season.

1. Rubbish second half performances. My teamtalks must be going all wrong. I have seen my team dominate in the first half them crumble in the second half, for example. 4-1 away at Arsenal in CPL. Finished 4-4 and I was very lucky to get that. I also dropped 2 late goals at home to portsmouth to draw 3-3.

2. Leaky defence. I concede far to many goals. The form of Vidic and Ferdinand has been poor. Vidic is often unhappy due to other teams sniffing around (so is Evra) and both players finished with an average rating of below 7. I tried Pique, O'Shea, Brown and Silvestre in the CD roles on and off throughout the season but none of them seemed to help.

3. Striker problems. Rooney was great, scored 33 goals. Tevez on the other hand was very poor. I just cannot make him play well with Rooney. Saha did ok and as a backup striker I was pleased but he replaced Tevez as my secondary striker and this is not something I am too keen on. I wish to sign a decent striker now.

4. Form of some players. Some players were just bad for me this season. Scholes, Tevez, Ferdinand, Vidic, VDS. I feel bad about dropping them tho.

Thoughts/Notes on the new season

The financial things worried me, the loan debt is crippling and concerns me with regards to spending the 52m I have been given for transfers in the new season.

My primary concern is a new striker. I have been looking at Quagliarella. Roma are also interested in him and seem willing to pay around the 25m mark. is he worth me going all out for?

I have accepted a bid for Pique. I didnt want to sell him but 18m for a player that was a reserve last season seems to good to pass on for now.

Thinking of selling O'Shea, Fletcher, ji-Sung, Saha (maybe)

Anybody have some good suggestions? I missed out on alot of the recommended bargains so I am looking for some other options.

Some of the targets I have looked at incude: Akinfeev, Rafinha, Criscito, Benzema and Giovinco.

2009-2010 Season Review

Squad

- Premiership: 2nd

neck and neck with tottenham down to the last day and just couldnt pull through

- FA Cup: Runners-Up

lost to Liverpool 4-1

- Carling Cup: Winner

won aganst Blackburn 2-1

- Champions League: Quarter-Final

lost to Milan 1-0 agg

- Community Shield: Winner

defeated Tottenham 4-1

Transfers

Not the best year for us. I thought we had the Premiership locked up being so far ahead of the rest with Tottenham, I thought they'd mess up for sure - didnt happen unfortunately. I still haven't found out how to crack the Champs League either which is really starting to get on my nerves...

I've been in the press as linked with the possible Juventus job. Doubt i'd take it, but you never know what might happen in this game icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by ww7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ricardo Kaka':

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by seongchow:

07/08

Finished the season winning the league with 90 pts. Chelsea 2nd and City Third.

Won the league cup against Newcastle.

Lost the FA cup to Chelsea.

Won the champion league against Inter Milan.

Transfer in

Micheal Owen - £9m

Sergey Ignashevich - free

Saivet - 450k

Wijnaldum - 250k

Out

Chris Eagle - £1.5m - Watford

Dong Fangzhou - £1.4m - Norwich

Manage to fence off most of the suiters for Pique.

My squad

GK - VDS

DR - G.Neville/W.Brown

DL - P.Evra/M.Silvestre

DC - R.Ferdinad/Inashevich

DC - N.Vidic/G.Pique

MC - O.Hargreaves/M.Carrick/D.Fletcher

AMR - C.Ronaldo/Nani/Park

AML - R.Giggs/Nani/Park

AMC - Anderson/P.Scholes

ST - C.Tevez/M.Owen

ST - W.Rooney/L.Saha

Notable players

W.Rooney - 40 goals 16 asst 7.14 Avr rating

Ronaldo - 22 goals 14 asst 7.17 Avr rating

Anderson - 13 goals 22 asst 7.30 Avr rating

Tevez - 27 goals 7 asst 6.93 Avr rating

Awards

W.Rooney - English Footballer of the year, EPL top scorer.

C.Ronaldo - English Player's Player of the year.

Anderson - Runners up English Player's Players of the year.

6 playes - EPL Divison Select.

Hopefully will be able to challenge all front next season. Transfer wishes - replacements for VDS, G.Neville, R.Giggs, P. Scholes.

How do you get C.Ronaldo to perform so well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

More amazingly, how did you persuade Tevez to put the darn ball in the net? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If his form is not good, go to press and complaint about it, then keep encourage him in the game, eventually he will score goals but quite frankly he was on and off for me. I expect more from him.

Guest Tibar88

am looking to strengthen my team with Klaas Jan HUntelaar from ajax, as because i ude the formation diomond attacking, so i need an extra striker

Starting to worry about finances... only got 3 million in the bank at the start of november (first season) which means i'm loosing something like 6m per month!

Any advice?

On a lighter note im still unbeaten in all competitions and playing some really good football with my 4231 formation!

Archived