FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a good season so far, couple of horrible injuries in the beginning tho. Ronaldo was out for 3 months, giggs was out for 2 months, so i sold fletcher, park and dong fangzhuo. I got the fund to bid for the 23 million rated Quaresma ricardo to cover the wings for 3 months till giggs and ronaldo comes back. now i'm winning almost every match 10 points ahead of chealsea in league but losing 5 to 3 million every month and going red really soon. Some one please help.

All you can do to adjust the Debth United are in is to Simply Get Commercial clubs for USA and China, and expand the stadium. MAYBE try and reduce some wages ... Also, winning the different tournaments help :p - and also, relax a bit with the massive signings for the players like Daniel Alves, Aguero, Quaresma etc.

hello guys.

i am an fm freek just like you icon_wink.gif

i am currently making experiments in a game (i am in january) and i think that i am ready to start my 'official' game icon_wink.gif

something i want to say... DO NOT BUY GATTUSSO ! lol... i exchange him (plus some money) with carrick because i wanted a very strong DM to mark EVERYTHING...unfortunately he can't control him self even with warnings ! he got 4 RED CARDS just in half season

think i've got chances to build a very strong team. i'll be back soon

p.s: i noticed that you are not discussing about staff ! is there an other thread i can talk about staff ?

yeah....man utd is nice

bought a few players, but all have wp problem, so all sent the antwerp icon_smile.gif

currently progressing well in almost 2/3 of the season, won the community shield and carling cup , and top of the league

using all the original players from man utd,defense is good, but hope can score a few more, hehe

rooney and ronaldo jsut cant score as much goal as i wish icon_frown.gif

i play ronaldo as my striker btw

however, players such as tevez, giggs, scholes and saha is good!!!

Originally posted by guardian4ce:

hello guys.

i am an fm freek just like you icon_wink.gif

i am currently making experiments in a game (i am in january) and i think that i am ready to start my 'official' game icon_wink.gif

something i want to say... DO NOT BUY GATTUSSO ! lol... i exchange him (plus some money) with carrick because i wanted a very strong DM to mark EVERYTHING...unfortunately he can't control him self even with warnings ! he got 4 RED CARDS just in half season

think i've got chances to build a very strong team. i'll be back soon

p.s: i noticed that you are not discussing about staff ! is there an other thread i can talk about staff ?

You can talk about staff on this thread

Guest Metaphysical

davidbowie, what's that "L-Epl" thing that appears after some of your players?

I'm waiting for the full patch before I start my game. and once I do, I reckon I'm gonna maybe sign a LB (tho evra is so class), a target man, and maybe a RB - tho I'll probs just promote danny simpson and use him loads.

The PL system is basically a way to put their potential in their name to keep it easy to remember.

I use it on the younger players from their coach reports on their potential, and from other younger players in the scout report about their potential. If I get multiple scout reports from my good scouts, which are the same I use the addition to the end of the name.

L = Leading

D = Decent

G = Good

EPL = Premier League. Generally, at MU the only other one I use is CHP or L1/L2 if doing it to a youth player who sucks.

I do similar for staff with their coaching area or role, their star level or specific stats eg:

Gary Gk7s

Picard AsMan Def7s

Physio 1 ph20

Scout 2 a19/p20

-----------

Worst.Game.Ever

Originally posted by dahotshotda:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dahotshotda:

look at this and tell me who ownz ?!?!?ownageor8.th.png]OWNED[/url]

what do u think about this game ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great one .. but there too much goals you conceded

Originally posted by phantom1998:

So can a get a general conceses on who's the better striker to get? After I read these threads most ppl went for the following strikers:

Amurai

Huntalaar

Gyan Asoamoah

Berbertov

Pandev

i heard that huntelaar is better in 08 than 07..

but comparing with other i can't judge because i'm i bit new on 08 so didn't try anyone of theme icon_rolleyes.gif

i think i was using my basic 4,4,2 , with a few tweaks and arrows

i saved it at that point and was trying several tactics , then i tried me old 442 and this happened :p

i think it was more my mind games hehe :p

gonner post my aquad soon january transfer window time and i need players hehe :p

So can a get a general conceses on who's the better striker to get? After I read these threads most ppl went for the following strikers:

Amurai

Huntalaar

Gyan Asoamoah

Berbertov

Pandev

It depends on what type of striker you want.Berbatov is a better target man and Pandev is a really good fast striker.Personally Id go for Berbatov if you can afford him as he was lethal for me in one of my games

Hello Guys,

As posted earlier in this thread my first Utd died on me (well I accidentally delted it) after winning the league and CL first season.

I've started a new game and decided to only buy Saivet and Wijnaldum for the future but no other transfers.

I'm struggling and not scoring many whilst conceeding too many as well.... not a good combination!

I always like to try and play a 4-4-2 formation with wingers and one attack minded and one defence minded central midfielder either as a flat midfield 4 or as a diamond.

Can anyone who has got a successful tactic exactly like this or even similar to this whilst playing as Utd, please let me know the tactic name and where I can download it from.

Many thanks in advace.

Duds

Originally posted by Dudley01:

I always like to try and play a 4-4-2 formation with wingers and one attack minded and one defence minded central midfielder either as a flat midfield 4 or as a diamond.

Yup me too, but I have had the same problem in you that I couldnt get my strikers to score. However, I have since switched to a 4-3-3 and it works a treat, still cant get Aaritalo to score though icon_frown.gif

FM08 Tactic: 4213 McNugget Cruise Control is what I use now, with a few tweaks so that my wider strikers put in as many crosses as possible, and full backs cross to the back post. I also have tweaked the right strikers instructions so that he becomes more of a fast striker instead of a target man (I try to use Tevez here if he's fit).

P.S. Ronaldo upfront in that tactic is just leathel.

Originally posted by Dudley01:

Thanks Sheps.

I don;t have internet at home and can't download at work so I'll get a mate to download it for me.

Thanks,

Duds

No problem dude.

Update: Ronaldo just scored a hattrick against Fulham. :****)

Arsenal away next though; they were always the hardest team on the game back on 07, lets see about it this year.

i've a big problem with tactic, especialy that i'm conceding so much goals..

i played with bolton in LC in the first time i won 3-1 then i forget to save i came back and lost 3-0 and now i'm playing at the moment and it's 4-2 for me it was 2-0 for bolton at half time.. i hope i don't forget to save this time icon_razz.gif

so is there any solution for this problem ??? icon_confused.gif

Amurai

Huntalaar

Gyan Asoamoah

Berbertov

Pandev

The best is Pandev tbh. The rest are good but Berbatov is too slow and not good enough in the air, ditto Huntelaar, Asamoah's first touch sucks and Amauri...well he seems to old and not particularly brilliant at anything in particular. Great all round though. Pandev is fast, creative, strong, can shoot from far and can play through balls. He may be too similar to Tevez and Rooney though. At least he doesn't drop deep.

Wtf is this with people winning 6-1 against Chelsea and Spurs? I thought my tactics were decent...

Great Game Post

Arsene Who?

Beat Arsenal 5-1 icon_cool.gif Ronaldo proved just how ffffb he is again with his second hattrick in 2 consecutive games (his third hattrick this season). Anderson scored two lovely goals, one volley from a Ronaldo (genius) cross and another beaty from a curling shot from just outside the area.

Scorers for Man Utd:

Ronaldo x3

Anderson x2

Scorer for Arsenal:

Rosicky (Penalty)

Has anyone bought Guilherme and if so is he any good? Im looking for some left back cover, at the moment i've got Evra and Bale but Barca keep offering for Evra and it's unsettling him, so thinking of getting rid. If guilherme isn't any good can ppl name some good young LB's.

Cheers

Finished my first season with the Devils. My team has been playing champagne football to say the least. Ended the league with 99 points and won by a country mile (Chelsea finished 2nd with something like 77 points). I won the Community shield beating Chelsea 2-1, FA cup beating West Ham 3-0 and League Cup beating Chelsea 2-1. I was knocked out of the CL though...thumped 7-4 by Barca in the QF.

I was wary of the burgeoning debts so restricted my buys to Zapater for 7 in the summer and Owen in the Jan market for 9M. Sold a whole bunch of average reserve players, Fletcher, Silvestre, Park etc and ended up with 3M in cash reserves after Owen and Zapater. Zapater turned to be a neat little DM cover for Hargreaves. Infact Queiroz now thinks that there isn't much difference between the two!

I play a 4-2-3-1 with the following combinations:

GK - VDS

RB - Gary/O'Shea/Brown

CB - Rio/Vidic/Pique/Brown

LB - Evra/O'Shea

CM (Defensive) - Hargreaves/Zapater

CM (Play maker) - Scholsey/Carrick

AMR - Ronnie/Nani

AMC - Tevez/Anderson

AML - Nani/Giggsy

FC - Rooney/Saha/Owen

I play "Target Man" with ball to feet and the AMC has an arrow upto the striker. The beauty of this little tactic is that all my AMs score tons and tons of goals (my AMs have great long range shots and or good finishing prowess). Ronnie and Tevez topped the charts with 21 goals in the season...Rooney finished with like 17 and Anderson and Saha finished with 14 odd (most of Saha's goals were crappy FA or League cup goals).

At the start of the 2nd season, I decided to cash in on Saha for 5M. I got Vagner Love for free in the Bosman transfer. I'm keen to play him ahead of Owen as a backup since Owen has been laying eggs on the pitch! Inter came up with 20M + 20% for Pique and I decided to cash in. Johnny Evans has turned into a 'Wonderkid' and I can't possibly have both of them as my back-ups so decided to cash in on Pique knowing he would turn into quality (I don't believe in having quality all over the place without actually giving anyone a chance to fight for places and shine). I also sold Kusczak (spelling) for 8M +30% to Lazio as there wasn't any difference between him and Foster who is fit again at the start of the 2nd season. I felt I was a little weak in the left back slot so went for that 'Wonderkid' guy from Real (Marcelo)?? He has a release clause of 5.5M...snap him he looks good even though I haven't played him yet. Now my team looks like this -

GK - VDS/Foster

RB - Gary/O'Shea (please don't sell O'Shea, he is a quality utility player)

CB - Rio/Vidic/Brown/Evans

LB - Evra/Marcelo

DM - OH/Zapater

CM - Scholsey/Carrick

AMR - Ronnie/Nani

AMC - Tevez/Anderson

AML - Nani/Giggsy

FC - Rooney/Owen/Love

I still have about 52M in reserve for future buys. I feel that AMl is something that I have to tackle with. Should I go for Silva....he would cost me a gazillion pounds and I don't see it as a good investment since Nani is a great player himself. Any good young player recommendations for AML? Also I need to find a great play making CM as a replacement for Scholsey...suggestions?

Thanks for reading this rather long post ...Cheers!

I just use a 442 diamond with a few attacking arrows, counter attacking and vary between slow tempo+short passing and fast+direct passing depending on the situation.

Milan just bid £39m for Vidic and the board intervened and accepted icon_frown.gif

if snyone is looking for a top left back, Marcelo from Real Madrid is class, has a release of 5.5m at the start of the game and also is a very good back up for left wing. evra is my highest rated player but am thinking about selling him because of this steal of a player icon14.gif

First post: This thread and forum is the nuts. I only bought the game today and have been flat out on it for the last 8 hours lol.

Bags and Bags of info in here but i can't understand why everyone sells most players and buys buys buys ? Just for the sake of it?

If only Fergie had this option. Is there many people out there that have gone a season with the current Man United squad ? If so thats some achievment. I dont see any reason to buy players in the first season anyway. That United team is good enough if managed the right way. Just my oppinion anyway.

Thanks icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Brek:

if snyone is looking for a top left back, Marcelo from Real Madrid is class, has a release of 5.5m at the start of the game and also is a very good back up for left wing. evra is my highest rated player but am thinking about selling him because of this steal of a player icon14.gif

Marcelo plays better as a left wing icon14.gif so it would be dull if you sold evra for him

Sheps -

With that formation, how are you getting the most out of Ronaldo? Are you playing him in the centre of the front three strikers? I'm doing well with the same formation but not getting the most from ronaldo rooney and tevez on a regular basis.

Also, are you varying it depending on if you're at home or away?

Cheers

glyndav - This is how my front line looks:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Tevez - Rooney - Ronaldo

</pre>

Originally Ronaldo was in the middle, Rooneyon the left and Tevez on the right but only Ronaldo scored like that. So, since switching it around, I've got Tevez to score a few more goals, Ronaldo still on fire and Rooney desperatly needing a goal (I might need to tweak his tactics).

Btw I play Anderson behind them who is beast icon14.gif

Thats a bit odd, I'd have expected when you changed it around for Rooney to start scoring - all my goals seem to come from whoever I play in the middle - I think I might need to tweak the FL/FR positions a bit.

How are you finding it home/away? I seem to be doing better with it away - I think I need to work on the mentality a bit.

I agree with Anderson - Nani has been disappointing for me so far, I play hargreaves, carrick and anderson in the middle 3 (scholes is out for 3 months. Funny how it echoes real life sometimes....)

Im fine with it both home and away. I've had some great results away like 5-1 at Arsenal, and a 6-2 victory against Valencia. However I've had some good results at home such as beating Liverpool 2-0. I do think the mentality might need adjusting at home though, because it doesnt seem enough chances are made.

I play a midfield trio of Gibson, Carrick and Anderson. Hargreaves is used for tough away home/away games where I need a more destructive DM. Scholes I use in Gibsons position whenever he's fit tbh, its shocking how bad his fitness is, he plays one game and cant play the next two. Gibson has been brill though so it doesnt really matter.

Btw how do you fit Giggs in? I tend not to play him, and if I do, he gets a sub appearence in the AMC spot.

Archived