FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by JawKam:

Already, currently in pre-season 2009

My Squad

As you can see, it's quite small right now. Sold Saha for 11m and Dos Santos came in for free. I believe i'm lacking players in depth and would like to know who i should get.

Made bids for Pato, Cech and current have 61m.

Thanks

I see you're playing a 4-4-2 target man, who is he?

Originally posted by I'm me:

I'm looking for players to replace Neville, Scholes and Giggs. Does anyone know how Danny Simpson and Sam Hewson turn out before I spend money on replacements?

I've been using Simspon as my main RB for 2 seasons now with good result. 2008/09 and 2009/10. Neville just couldn't compete with him anymore in my system without wingers, mostly due to lack of speed. :p

Been playing 3 seasons now with the 2nd Beta patch.

It has gone quite well I must say:

07/08

Transfers in:

None (started without extra transfer funds so had to make do with what SAF is using)

Transfers out:

Craig Cathcart, Newcastle 700k

Used a 4-2-3-1 formation and won the league on 85 pts GD +57, Chelsea 2nd on 78 pts.

Won the League Cup, lost the FA Cup Final against Arsenal, won the ECC on penalties against Barcelona.

08/09

Tranfers in:

Henri Saivet 3.5m in competition with 11 other clubs

Fabio 1.2m

Rafael 1.2m

Mark Bresciano 10m

Tranfers out:

Sam Hewson, Barnsley 700k + 30% sell on

Kieran Lee, Pompey 1.9m

Silvestre, Aston Villa 1.6m

Park Ji-Sung, Villareal 5.8m

Darron Gibson, Birmingham 2.3m

Febian Brandy, Blackburn 30% sell on + 14m after 30 League Goals (has bagged 28 after 2 seasons in Rovers).

Kept the same formation and once again won the league, now on 94pts and GD +69. Chelsea 2nd on 91pts.

Won the League Cup again, Won the FA Cup by beating Arsenal 5-4 in the Final. Lost out on the ECC against Real Madrid in the Final 0-1, RVN scoring in the 88th minute. icon_frown.gif

09/10

Transfers in:

Messi, Barcelona 28m

Giorgio Chiellini, Juventus, 14.5m

Transfers out:

Patrice Evra, AC Milan, 19m

Wes Brown, Real Madrid, 2.5m

Kuzsczak, Everton, 2.5m

Ronaldo broke his leg in the first game (out for 6 months) and Nani tore a hamstring, so I decided to try out a new system. 4-3-2-1 with one MC barrowed and 2 AMC. No wingers, instead the fullbacks had to get forward alot.

Won the league on 91pts GD +82, Chelsea 2nd on 78pts. Won the League Cup, FA Cup and ECC final (all on pens against Arsenal).

With the season over Ben Foster wants a new challenge and wants to move on. He has a contract for 2011 too but I guess I'll try to get some money for him while I can. Rooney has been great with 82 goals in 101 games for me so far. Right now my team is as follows:

GK: Foster/Amos (VDS is retiring in 2 days)

DR: Danny Simpson/O'Shea

DC: Ferdinand/Evans

DC: Vidic/Pique

DL: Chiellini/Fabio

MC: Anderson/Fletcher

MC(barrowed): Hargreaves/Arouca

MC: Bresciano/Carrick

AMC: Ronaldo/Tevez

AMC: Messi/Nani

FC: Rooney/Saivet

My biggest problem with the squad for the years to come is really the GK since I doubt Foster with come round to actually signing a new contract.

Originally posted by devilskeeper:

I recommend Huntelaar, with training, he can become very very useful in the air! He al ready is for me anyway, and scores bags of goals. Won the Euro Golden Boot!

I bought Huntelaar 1st season and found he wasn't really performing for me so 2nd season i loaned him out to AT Madrid and in the 3rd season he's doing better but still not great..

Do you play him on his own up front or with a partner?

Originally posted by Goffik:

07/08

Transfers in:

None (started without extra transfer funds so had to make do with what SAF is using)

Transfers out:

Used a 4-2-3-1 formation and won the league on 85 pts GD +57, Chelsea 2nd on 78 pts.

Won the League Cup, lost the FA Cup Final against Arsenal, won the ECC on penalties against Barcelona.

08/09

Tranfers in:

Fabio 1.2m

Rafael 1.2m

Mark Bresciano 10m

Tranfers out:

Kieran Lee, Pompey 1.9m

Febian Brandy, Blackburn 30% sell on + 14m after 30 League Goals (has bagged 28 after 2 seasons in Rovers).

Kept the same formation and once again won the league, now on 94pts and GD +69. Chelsea 2nd on 91pts.

Won the League Cup again, Won the FA Cup by beating Arsenal 5-4 in the Final. Lost out on the ECC against Real Madrid in the Final 0-1, RVN scoring in the 88th minute. icon_frown.gif

09/10

Transfers in:

Messi, Barcelona 28m

Transfers out:

Kuzsczak, Everton, 2.5m

Ronaldo broke his leg in the first game (out for 6 months) and Nani tore a hamstring, so I decided to try out a new system. 4-3-2-1 with one MC barrowed and 2 AMC. No wingers, instead the fullbacks had to get forward alot.

Won the league on 91pts GD +82, Chelsea 2nd on 78pts. Won the League Cup, FA Cup and ECC final (all on pens against Arsenal).

With the season over Ben Foster wants a new challenge and wants to move on. He has a contract for 2011 too but I guess I'll try to get some money for him while I can. Rooney has been great with 82 goals in 101 games for me so far. Right now my team is as follows:

My biggest problem with the squad for the years to come is really the GK since I doubt Foster with come round to actually signing a new contract.

How did you get Messi for only 28 mil?

Originally posted by MD-Ronaldo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goffik:

07/08

Transfers in:

Transfers out:

08/09

Tranfers in:

Fabio 1.2m

Rafael 1.2m

Mark Bresciano 10m

Tranfers out:

Kieran Lee, Pompey 1.9m

09/10

Transfers in:

Messi, Barcelona 28m

Transfers out:

Kuzsczak, Everton, 2.5m

How did you get Messi for only 28 mil? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wanted out for not getting any games at Barcelona.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devilskeeper:

I recommend Huntelaar, with training, he can become very very useful in the air! He al ready is for me anyway, and scores bags of goals. Won the Euro Golden Boot!

I bought Huntelaar 1st season and found he wasn't really performing for me so 2nd season i loaned him out to AT Madrid and in the 3rd season he's doing better but still not great..

Do you play him on his own up front or with a partner? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play him with Rooney or Tevez, but usually Rooney. But the main thing in my tactics is that I make my wingers Cross Aim = Target Man who is Huntelaar. Works a treat in 4-4-2. He's not a fast striker, which is probably my biggest criticism of him, but he can header a ball and finish. I also set him as Left side Free kick taker. Because he places shots, he scores a couple and plus I have no real free kick taker anyway and he's the best of em (Ronaldo hits them off target too much).

Originally posted by devilskeeper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD-Ronaldo:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devilskeeper:

Do you play him on his own up front or with a partner? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play him with Rooney or Tevez, but usually Rooney. But the main thing in my tactics is that I make my wingers Cross Aim = Target Man who is Huntelaar. Works a treat in 4-4-2. He's not a fast striker, which is probably my biggest criticism of him, but he can header a ball and finish. I also set him as Left side Free kick taker. Because he places shots, he scores a couple and plus I have no real free kick taker anyway and he's the best of em (Ronaldo hits them off target too much). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe i'll try that in a new game at some point with him, thanks.

Gonna sell him in my current game tho i think coz i have Rooney Tevez Anelka, and just got Bojan back from loaning him out, so i'm not sure he's needed now..

End of Season update (07/08)

transfersuf2.th.jpg]Transfers[/url]

squaddz5.th.jpg]Squad[/url]

plwe8.th.jpg]Premiership[/url]

leaguecupwn6.th.jpg]League Cup Final[/url]

faia5.th.jpg]FA Cup Final[/url]

Lost in the Champions League semi final - 6-5 on aggregate to Chelsea. Thought i had the match won in the first leg with a 3-0 home win. However, it was a disaster away from home with a 6-2 whipping.

Overall im very happy with the season.

Looking to offload Silvestre, Eagles, Fletcher and Kuszczak

Looking to bring in a new LB back up to Evra, a winger and a CM. I've got 40 mill to spend - any suggestions?

I am in December 07 and wondering whether to put Hargreeves up for sale becuase he hardly ever gets a game. Carrick occupies the CM role and VDV occupies the AMC role with Nani/GIggs on the left and Ron on the right. So do you think I should sell him? He is currently valued at £17mill.

Cheers, harryseaess

Just smashed Red Star 4-0. Owen with a hattrick. He 's now got 11 goals in 6 starts. Rooney isn't scoring anymore though, he's just assisting icon_frown.gif I never seem to be able to beat a team by more than 4-0. They always clam up. Just because we went 4 up after 13 minutes icon_biggrin.gif

I only think one striker can be prolific, i ahve eto and rooney upfront, eto in the prem scored in the past 2 seasons, around 32 goals in 35 games, rooney got like 15 goals in 35 games, eto is great finisher though.

i was just wonering if anyone plays the same formation as me, its a 3,1,3,1,2

so basicly 3 at the back, a def midfield, a centre mid, 2 att wingers, att midfielder behind the two strikers.

its workds kind of well for me, i average over the last 2 seasons, 2.6 goals a game, conceding 0.7 a game,

iam manu won prem twice, league cup and champions league, runner up last years in champions league.

the funniest thing ive seen on the game is, ive won games 6-0 and players have scored 4 goals and still got max rating of 9, i get 9s alot never a 10, and then i beat wigan away 4-1. and kirkland got a 10 i was like????????

Just had my best game as Man Utd manager, the FA Cup Semi Final against Arsenal, was 0-0 at half time and I ended up wining 6-1, Pandev scored a great hatrick to set us off icon_biggrin.gif. Here is the match overview:

manutdvarsenaloverviewmo2.png

As you can see Ronaldo and Tevez both got injured in the 1st half so I was forced to bring on Anderson for Tevez and Nani for Ronaldo, this is hwta my formation looked like at the strat of the game:

manutdvarsenalpreviewlicx3.png

And this is what it ended up looking like:

manutdvarsenalformationeh2.png

Most of my players played well, 6 put of the 13 that played got 8 and one player (Pandev) got a 9. Jens Lehmann and Robin van Persie both ended up with 4's which I thought was rather funny and overall the whole Arsenal team had a bad day, eres a screenshot of the player ratings:

manutdvarsenalstatsplayrg8.png

To be honest I prehaps deserved to lose the game considering Arsenal had 54% of the possesion, here is a screen shot of the match stats:

manutdvarsenalstatsmatctz8.png

I hope you enjoyed reading about my best win as a Man Utd manager up to this date icon_biggrin.gif.

Cheers, harryseaess.

Checkout this goal from Huntelaar in the Champions League vs Roma.

Scored from behind the halfway line. Haven't done that for a few years...

Put the file in your Matches folder which is In My Documents/FM2008/Matches

The select View Match on the main menu & you'll see it.

>>Download File<<

Is that the right PKM? Huntelaar didnt even score in that match.

Checkout this goal from Huntelaar in the Champions League vs Roma.

Scored from behind the halfway line. Haven't done that for a few years...

Put the file in your Matches folder which is In My Documents/FM2008/Matches

The select View Match on the main menu & you'll see it.

>>Download File<<

My Van der Sar scored from the edge of my penalty box icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by TheSea:

hi..

I'm new here but not with the game icon_razz.gif

i have a simple Q..

is there any advantages or disadvantages of using lots of farrows or barrows??

They dictate the players movement. A wide midfielder placed on the halfway line with a forward arrow will naturally look to get forward.

farrows come into effect only when you have the ball.

barrows come into effect only when you dont have the ball.

sarrows dictates where the player positions himself, generally a middleground between the start and end of an arrow. Therefore an ML with a right sarrow will play on the side of midfield but more narrow.

diagonal arrows are a mixture of whichever you use, i.e. forward and left.

Thats how the manual says it anyway. icon14.gif

Originally posted by Evon:

Swordsaman-You need some better strikers definitely. Aaritalo and Mezenga aren't Man Utd quality. You should sell alot of players too. And Tevez is fine for me. He rarely plays anyway icon_biggrin.gif

evon please give some good advice, who should i sell beside Aaritalo and Mezenga ?

I would say that your midfield is very strong, both in the middle and on the wings. I think your defence is fine and so is your goalkepper postion. I would say you need a third top notch striker to go with Tevez and Rooney though. I dont think you have to sell anyone unless you dont like too many players or need the cash. For striker i would look at Aguero. Then again, I'mnot Evon :p

Archived