FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by Kugle:

I can get daniel carvalho on a free in second season. Should i get him ?, i dont really need him, but he could be a backup and an easy to get transfer money later on, what whould you say ?

Nah, don't bother. Use younger players as your back ups.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all,

I started a new Utd game on 8.0.1. so I thought I'd update you on my wheeling and dealings etc.

So its the same squad, with the following additions and missing:

Bought:

Obafemi Martins - £12M (He's injured so hasnt played any games yet)

Alan Hutton - £5M (Brilliant first teamer whilst Neville has been out injured. Hes kept Brown and O'Shea out of the squad.)

John Fleck - Comp.

John Bostock - Comp.

Rhys Murphy - Comp.

Henri Saivet - Comp.

Mamdou Sakho - Comp.

Niklas Barkroth - Comp.

Georginio Wijnaldum - Comp.

Loaned In:

Ignacio Camacho - Looks promising and I want to see how he shapes my reserves.

Sold:

Darren Fletcher - £10M

Mikael Silvestre - £1.8M - Measly but i wanted rid.

Louis Saha - £2.4M - Same as Silvestre.

So, thats my squad transfer done. Heres a quick update as to how my season has started (I'll miss out the friendlies, I won them all):

Man Utd 3-2 Chelsea (Community Shield) - Anderson, Rooney and Tevez scorers.

Man Utd 3-0 Derby - Tevez, Rooney x2

Man Utd 5-0 Reading - Rooney x3, Tevez, Ronaldo

Man Utd 1-0 West Ham - Anderson

Man Utd 3-0 Sunderland - Rooney, Fraizer Campbell x2 (On his debut! And they were peaches of goals!)

So, I'll probably give another update at the end of January icon14.gif

Originally posted by glory utd:

Why does everybody sell Saha??? And for so little???

Its not like he's a bad player and he gives you a different option from Tevez and Rooney.

I bought Martins tbf, Martins >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saha.

Fo Gra icon_biggrin.gif The games against Derby and West Ham were away. Havent conceded in the league :****) But thats likely to change as I've got Chelsea away next.

Originally posted by Sheps.:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glory utd:

Its not like he's a bad player and he gives you a different option from Tevez and Rooney.

I bought Martins tbf, Martins >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Saha.

Fo Gra icon_biggrin.gif The games against Derby and West Ham were away. Havent conceded in the league :****) But thats likely to change as I've got Chelsea away next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, bought Martins, sold Saha and down 10m.

Originally posted by glory utd:

Agreed. He's class in the first season and you can sell him for more after it.

Martins was good when I had him. His pace just ripped teams apart. Shame he couldn't put in half the chances he created though. icon_mad.gif

I bought a nice collection of youth players which i found off my own back. I was surprised to see that some of them were here. The others i found were regens tho so their stats change from game to game so no points telling you to get them.

At the end of my first season now with 2 games to win against Liverpool and Derby but Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez are all injured and i have a CL final to play without them 3 or a suspended Ferdinand! argh lol

May i ask how you guys set up your strikers ?, I play 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond). I've set them up with rooney as poacher and tevez as quick TM. And in the start of the season they bagged alot of goals in, but in the past 10-15 games my goals have come from my amc, wingers and free kicks, corners, penalties.

Any suggestions :p?

Originally posted by crazy gra:

£10m for Fletch!!

And that's good home form. Do you have any away games scheduled, though?

You think that's good, I sold him for £15m! And Saha is going for £10m too. Silvestre too icon_biggrin.gif. At this rate though I'm going to be selling Scholes and Rooney. Rooney isn't playing badly but just doesn't score. Scholes is playing like a ****ing pub team player. He's just lucky Owen is such a brilliant poacher. Two goals against the Arse. 3-2!!! How does everyone set their instructions for strikers?

May i ask how you guys set up your strikers ?, I play 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond). I've set them up with rooney as poacher and tevez as quick TM. And in the start of the season they bagged alot of goals in, but in the past 10-15 games my goals have come from my amc, wingers and free kicks, corners, penalties.

Me too icon14.gif

I play a 4-1-2-1-1-1 with Rooney or Tevez up front with Anderson providing support. If its a big game i might settle to a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond so I have more options up front but i usually have a DM to break up the play and Hardgreaves isn't all that bad a passer for me so he delivers in all areas from that position

Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kugle:

Me too icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i just got one of my typical games again, 0-0 i got 3 injruies, they got a red card. I got 30 shots on goal and 60% possesion. But i simply cant score and i get injuries and this game SUCKS!

OMG something is so wrong with this game. Third match in a row i got 3 injuries during the game.

Injuries:

Paul Scholes - 3 weeks

Goran Pandev - 1 month

Ryan Giggs - 3 months

Owen Hargreaves - 3 months

Van der Vaart - 4 days

Nani - 6 days

Wayne Rooney - 1 week

Originally posted by Phily69:

Whats the best system to play away from home I play 442, When I play defensive I dont score and when I play attacking I get beat! Can anyone tell me the best settings? thanks.

How about putting your settings for some games inbetween those settings then? Either that or just make your forwards more adventurous.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kugle:

Me too icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i just got one of my typical games again, 0-0 i got 3 injruies, they got a red card. I got 30 shots on goal and 60% possesion. But i simply cant score and i get injuries and this game SUCKS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm getting them all the time atm too. 0-0 at Spurs and they injured 3 of my players (which also fudges up any substitution plans). Last game was 0-0 at Villa and I twatted them too. As well as them injuring 3 players during the game, Tevez scored a rebound from a Rooney shot, but was ruled out for offside. The replay clearly shows Tevez was onside, so I criticise the ref but get warned because the game somehow thinks he was offside. Wtf?! icon_mad.gif

As for STs: Are you using a wide or narrow midfield i.e. an MR and ML or two MCs? If you use two MCs then sarrow the FCs and whoever you play at AMC will love it! I think I said the same thing earlier or perhaps yesterday (I've had a few pints during the footy earlier!), but I don't use that as it doesn't use wingers.

And onto this:

Originally posted by R-dizzle:

I play a 4-1-2-1-1-1

How does that work?! Is that 4 sweepers, a centre half, two DMs, an MC, an AMC and an FC?

Interesting. Having Rooney on hard tackling is just a recipe for disatser though icon_biggrin.gif and you should be getting quite a few offsides with Rooney because he's on FWR often and has quite an attacking mentality. How many goals have your strikers scored?

Rooney has got 4 in 8.

Tevez: 2 in 5(3)

Saha: 2 in 2(1)

Don't get offsides with Rooney from what I've seen. I could have the FC on FWR mixed to link up with the AMC better, but it helps him to break the opposition d-line better. I always have my FC and AMC on hard tackling to help win the ball high up the pitch. Not had any cards for the 3 main STs yet.

Also: Even if I wanted Rooney on FWRs mixed, then it's best to put him on often due to his "comes deep for the ball" PM.

Hmmmm, well I've solved Scholes' problem and now Rooney's back from injury I'll try a couple of things out. Rooney has 9 in 13 for me which is testament to his great form earlier which really made it all the worse that he's failing now. Tevez just scored a hattrick in a 4-1 against Man City to make it 10 goals in 6 starts and 6 sub appearances which is pretty annoying to say the least. Not the hattrick obviously. The fact that he has more goals in less starts. Actually less overall appearances.

Gra i play with a dmc, a amc (set up as a playmaker), a ML/MR with attacking mentality, forward runs etc (wingers). I usually play wide with 1 notch from quick tempo, and switch to slower tempo and narrow width later in the game when im in front.

Btw my crap 0-0 form just changed into 2x 5-1 wins. both with Rooney as hattrick hero :p.

As i play both tevez and rooney upfront ive set them to trough balls often, which worked kinda good. I might try a free role + high CD on rooney though as you do gra.

Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

Stupid Baxter has already signed a Pre-Contract so I've just bid 750k for him. And for some reason both Scholes and Anderson are performing like *****.

I'm not sure whether it's their instructions but they're really not creating anything and leaving it to Rooney who now can't get a goal for love nor money. What does everybody else have for Scholes and Anderson's instructions?

I've signed Baxter now for just 10% of next fee, but have to wait a year anyway.

Vidic is p*ssed off at saying I won't let him go to Milan despite not rejecting a bid for him (i.e. just negotiating for £100m).

Atletico aren't letting me have Aguero for small money (I have £14m), but my scout says I could get Matias Fernandez for about £10m, so I'll probably just get him and tell Adriano to go back to Inter.

As for Scholes/Andy instructions, what formation are you using, Evon? I'm using a 4-4-1-1, with 4-2-3-1 (just wingers pushed up) for my attacking version. At the moment I'm playing Rooney at AMC and getting him to swap with Tevaz at FC. Andy is my main MCa atm, but Scholes has just got back to full fitness.

Here's the instructions for my "4-2-3-1 Attack":

12152007214805yt2.th.jpg 12152007214852df9.th.jpg

And these are for my "4-4-1-1 Balanced":

12152007215009ie4.th.jpg 12152007215026rz3.th.jpg

If you're using a 4-4-2, then the MC instructions are probably more what you want for Scholes/Andy.

Also, if anyone has a winger injury crisis then play a Chelsea style (i.e. narrow midfielders) 4-3-1-2 with sarrowed FCs. The FCs drag the oppositon DCs out with them and gives the AMC loads of space and chances. It's good, but doesn't incorporate Ronaldo very well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer to stick with the traditional Untied tactics of 4-4-2. But change to 4-1-2-1-2. I have the wingers remain MR and ML, but have a AMC behind the strikers with a DM aswell

Originally posted by Evon:

How much does Baxter cost in the first season? He really looks like Rooney. Great touch, creative, he can pass, shoot from far, hold up the ball and he's got pace. Fffffb. Could be better. And why the **** is everybody selling Vidic. I can understand Ferdinand because he is pretty old and not very loyal but Vidic? Future captain and one of the best defenders around in the air?

I brought Baxter for £2.4m, but that was at the end of season one. May be cheaper at the start.

Teves is... poor. Has only scored 13 goals in 1 season and I played him in almost every match (Won Prem, LC, ECC and FA).

Brought Torres, Kompany and Richards. Torresis poor, has only scored 5 goals in 1/2 a season, 3 goals in reserve matches. Kompany and Richards are OK. Richards is good CB but poor RB/RWB and Kompany is my new sweeper. ;D

Also brought Arouca from Fluminense for 100K. Good DM, very young, only 22. Scored 4 times in 4 matches off the bench. Aso brought Marcelo from Real for 25mil. Best LB, since Evra keeps wanting to move to Barca or Inter.

Sold Fletcher to Newcastle, Silvestre to Lyon (I think). Also lost Shawcross on free transfer (Rejected 4 deals).

One tip: TRAIN CHRIS EAGLES TO BE AML. He is awesome in that position. Am also England manager and scroed 13 goals in 15 games in that position.

I have won 7 trophies, 3 in 1st season, 4 in 2nd season. Here is my squad (1st choice/2nd choice):

GK: Foster/ Van der Sar

CB: Ferdinand/ Richards

CB: Vidic/ Kompany

WBR: Simpson/ Neville

WBL: Marcelo/ Evra

DM: Hargreaves/ Carrick

ML: Park Ji-Sung/ Eagles

MR: Ronaldo/ Nani

AMC: Anderson/ Eagles or Nani

FC: Rooney/ Saha

FC: Teves/ Campbell

Subs (With 1st choice playing)

O'Shea

Arouca

Nani

Eagles

Saha

i havent played a FM since FM05, so i've downloaded the demo, i forgot how addictive it is! icon_cool.gif

Anyway, is it just me or have the player ratings (after matches, average ratings etc)gone waay down?

I remember in FM05, if you played really well, it wouldn't be rare to see your players with a few 9s, maybe even a 10! But in FM08, i dont think i've seen a 9 yet, just a handful of 8s.

At the end of the demo, i think Evra had the best average rating with 7.20 ish, and most were between this and 6.80. This is much lower than i remember in FM05, where Ronaldo and Rooney used to have incredible average ratings at the end of the season (i remember Ronaldo getting 8.25 once!)

Is this just me? Any info would be appreciate icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by keaneutdlegend:

i havent played a FM since FM05, so i've downloaded the demo, i forgot how addictive it is! icon_cool.gif

Anyway, is it just me or have the player ratings (after matches, average ratings etc)gone waay down?

I remember in FM05, if you played really well, it wouldn't be rare to see your players with a few 9s, maybe even a 10! But in FM08, i dont think i've seen a 9 yet, just a handful of 8s.

At the end of the demo, i think Evra had the best average rating with 7.20 ish, and most were between this and 6.80. This is much lower than i remember in FM05, where Ronaldo and Rooney used to have incredible average ratings at the end of the season (i remember Ronaldo getting 8.25 once!)

Is this just me? Any info would be appreciate icon_wink.gif

Yeah, ratings are low. I beat Sheff Weds in the Prem 6-0, with Marcelo scoring twice. He only got 8. Rooney got 3, got 8. Ronaldo, got 1, 7. The rest? 6.

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

End of Season Review 2007/08

Squad

12142007014912rd7.th.jpg

Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney & Evra so fb beyond words icon_cool.gif

How have you been able to view assists and tackling stats on your selection screen? Could you give me a link to the panel to download?

Originally posted by M1K3:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

Squad

12142007014912rd7.th.jpg

How have you been able to view assists and tackling stats on your selection screen? Could you give me a link to the panel to download? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just chose "View -> Stats" and it should work icon_smile.gif

Just chose "View -> Stats" and it should work icon_smile.gif

Thanks but it's not what I'm looking for.

The selection screen on Barnetboyz has more stats ie. assists, tackling etc. which I would like as it provides more scope when picking your side instead of having to change screens and looking through stats.

I have found a panel which has added the assists and coach recommendation to the selection screen but I don't want the coach thing but the tackling stat instead. I know it's not impossible becaue barnetboyz has it.

Originally posted by M1K3:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

Squad

12142007014912rd7.th.jpg

How have you been able to view assists and tackling stats on your selection screen? Could you give me a link to the panel to download? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

having tha tskin allows me to show all those stats.. i haven't downloaded any panel

Archived