FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Hey guys, nearing the end of August 2007 and was wondering whether my squad needed strengthening or not?

I have adjusted my budget so I have £8m to spend. Please note my screenshot does not include my injured players (G Neville, Hargreaves, Scholes, Park & Saha)

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedaugust2zu1.jpg

Thanks in advance icon14.gif

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by gandycoleuk:

Hey guys, nearing the end of August 2007 and was wondering whether my squad needed strengthening or not?

I have adjusted my budget so I have £8m to spend. Please note my screenshot does not include my injured players (G Neville, Hargreaves, Scholes, Park & Saha)

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manchesterunitedaugust2zu1.jpg

Squad size is fine. Just make improvements - I think an MCa and a ST are the priorities. Just get Matias Fernandez icon14.gif (He really is the new Jo for me).

I am at the start of the second season, and would greatly some advice on how to strengthen my team.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1771/squadvn5.jpg

I have a £35million transfer budget. Matias Feranandez looks excellent, but he'll be quite expensive. I was considering buying him to play him on the left, as Anderson and Rooney are my two main attackiing midfielders, with Tevez and Ronaldo also able to play there, and I think I need reinforcements on the wings. Is this sensible, or should he only really be played in the centre? Where else should I stengthen?

Thanks for the help in advance. icon14.gif

Originally posted by mr.rooney:

I am at the start of the second season, and would greatly some advice on how to strengthen my team.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1771/squadvn5.jpg

I have a £35million transfer budget. Matias Feranandez looks excellent, but he'll be quite expensive. I was considering buying him to play him on the left, as Anderson and Rooney are my two main attackiing midfielders, with Tevez and Ronaldo also able to play there, and I think I need reinforcements on the wings. Is this sensible, or should he only really be played in the centre? Where else should I stengthen?

Thanks for the help in advance. icon14.gif

How much would Fernandez cost now? You can get him at the start for £10m, so he can't be much more. That's probably the place that needs strengthening most, so spend it on him.

Originally posted by gandycoleuk:

Do people use different tactics for away games because I can't seem to win one so far and those teams include Birmingham and Sunderland.

Thanks in advance.

Be more defensive. Less mentality, higher tempo, less CF, less FWRs, less width, lower d-line, less-short passing.

My philosophy for tactics is to keep more things global and therefore tighter for defensive tactics. The more attacking you want to be, make instructions 'looser' so your team has more chance of breaking through the opposition.

Second Season going well, in November End atm.

Ronnie, 20 goals already!

Matias Fernandez hasn't been fully fit, just 3 appearances and 4 goals( 3 against Villarreal icon_wink.gif )

Giggsy, who got 27 assists and 10 goals last season, is struggling to be fit bot Ginger-Head is back, 8 goals 9 assists, so far, 10 continuous 8-rated performances.

Rooney, 9 goals, 11 assists.

Huntelaar, 5 goals, 10 assists.

Nani's been a revelation, 5 goals and 13 assists.

Rio's been awesome too, 5 goals so far.

Fletcher is now worth 18.5 M, Industrious Midfielder. icon14.gif

Topping the league and topped the CL Group.

This tactic is really taking the Game AI apart,

Was 3 goals up at Stamford Bridge inside 19 minutes, won 2-3. Beating all the other big teams by a two or more goals margin. Cheers icon14.gif

How do Pique, Evans and Cathcart look on everyone else's games? I'm wondering whether or not to buy Breno and Pique is too slow and his tackling isn't very good and his jumping doesn't make up for it. Evans can't jump well enough and Cathcart just isn't very good all round.

Originally posted by Evon:

How do Pique, Evans and Cathcart look on everyone else's games? I'm wondering whether or not to buy Breno and Pique is too slow and his tackling isn't very good and his jumping doesn't make up for it. Evans can't jump well enough and Cathcart just isn't very good all round.

on mine

Pique

12252007113029nn8.th.jpg

Evans

12252007113104hj8.th.jpg

Cathcart

12252007113143fk1.th.jpg

Originally posted by Barnetboyz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

on mine

Pique

Evans

Cathcart </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Evans looks the best on there. He's also younger than Pique so more likely to improve. He's also British. Cathcart just isn't good enough, especially pace, accel and decisions.

I'm looking at getting Breno too.

Originally posted by nch:

Rooney's out for three months!

Lucky I have Messi retrained as FW and Silva and Ronaldo down the wings.

How is Silva doing for anyone? He never really impressed for me on my Valencia game on 07 despite having very good stats.

Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

How is Silva doing for anyone? He never really impressed for me on my Valencia game on 07 despite having very good stats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok just an idea, 8 appearances for me, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs. Just bought him btw.

Originally posted by nch:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nch:

How is Silva doing for anyone? He never really impressed for me on my Valencia game on 07 despite having very good stats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok just an idea, 8 appearances for me, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs. Just bought him btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He looks a little better on 08, but was already quality anyway. I might get to manage him now as I hope I'll be playing on a network game as Valencia.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazy gra:

Ok just an idea, 8 appearances for me, 4 goals, 3 assists, 2 MoMs. Just bought him btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>He looks a little better on 08, but was already quality anyway. I might get to manage him now as I hope I'll be playing on a network game as Valencia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why dont you buy him as Man utd icon_smile.gif?. Im planning to buy him at the start of third season

Could do, but if I get the chance then I should be able to give him a good trial without spending a penny icon_wink.gif

And besides, I have Ronaldo, Giggs and Matty and Andy for the wings as well as Nani and Martin. Haven't been too impressed with Nani so far, though.

Originally posted by red devilz:

i bought pirlo for about 9.5m as he is unsettled...

thinking selling away hargreaves or carrick as darren fletcher wants to stay...

any ideas who i should sell?

Is menez worth buying?

jimmy menez from FC monaco

I sold both Carrick and Fletcher!

Also id say Menez is a good buy. He scored a hat trick against me for Juventus in the Euro Super Cup and his stats look amazing 4 years on! I would buy him but he is happy at Juventus icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

Are there any other decent A.managers apart from Carlos Q.???

He is **** in the game. Poor motivating, and judging players potential etc.

I suggest Moniz. icon14.gif

He has 20 for both potential and ability.

I'd say Ass.men are more important for coaching stats and management for the reserves and if you get a touchline ban. Judging potential and ability is important, but that's what scouts are for.

Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

...what do you guys think of Sahin???? any good?

Bought him for 12m and coming end of season

Why do you need to ask us now that you've signed him? Surely asking us before you signed him would have been beneficial?

Is menez worth buying?

Even though Pirlo is a DM, he'd be better as an MCa, so don't sell Hargy or Carrick. Why would you keep Fletcher just because he wants to stay?

I'd say Ass.men are more important for coaching stats and management for the reserves and if you get a touchline ban. Judging potential and ability is important, but that's what scouts are for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deadmanwalking11:

...what do you guys think of Sahin???? any good?

Bought him for 12m and coming end of season

Why do you need to ask us now that you've signed him? Surely asking us before you signed him would have been beneficial?

Is menez worth buying?

Even though Pirlo is a DM, he'd be better as an MCa, so don't sell Hargy or Carrick. Why would you keep Fletcher just because he wants to stay? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correcting you, an Ass man needs to be good in judging player potential for coach reports, and tactical knowledge and coaching stats. Also motivating for team talks if you are lazy.

I got a good price for Evra, and so I sold him and am now looking for a replacement (in season 1). Any suggestions for a priemership-ready, high quality left-back/Wing-Back? I have a good bit of money, but won't be able to break the bank.

Originally posted by wbatl1:

I got a good price for Evra, and so I sold him and am now looking for a replacement (in season 1). Any suggestions for a priemership-ready, high quality left-back/Wing-Back? I have a good bit of money, but won't be able to break the bank.

chiellini?

Hey guys, in my 1st season and Fiorentina have come in for Silvestre offering £3.5m.

Letting him go now would give me £12m to spend on a left-back who could provide decent enough cover for Evra and then replace him in the future.

Basically looking for a wonderkid type player that I can groom to replace Evra in the future.

Sell him for bit more, and get Sakho.

But really keep Evra, best WBL in game and great LB. Only Chiellini can beat him as a LB.

Wait for regens if you want to replace him in future. Sakho isn't a great WBL (or LB in attacking wise). I found one great LB from Chelsea! Dubbed the new Ashley Cole and is English. On a free!

This is my squad for the 2nd season, anymore players i should buy to strengthen the squad ?

GK Foster, Van der Sar

DR Neville, Zaccardo

DL Evra, Criscito

DC Vidic, Ferdiand, Pique, Veloso

DM Veloso, Hargreaves, Banega

ML, Guardado, giggs, Assulin

MR Ronaldo, Nani, Assulin

AMC Anderson, Fernadez, Scholes, Assulin

FC Teves, rodriguez

FC rooney, aguero

FC

Originally posted by necrokiller:

i just bought asamoah gyan and per metsacker for my second season. i know gyan is proven to be amazing but i dunno about per.. is he good?

Mertesacker was better in previous versions. You could do a lot better for Man Utd than him. And he's German.
Correcting you, an Ass man needs to be good in judging player potential for coach reports, and tactical knowledge and coaching stats. Also motivating for team talks if you are lazy.
I did say it was important, but just not as much as other areas. Scouts (who have to have good judging ability and potential) can do reports on current players anyway.
Decided to finally start as Man Utd as my Chippenham game is getting a bit boring.

Will update later

Not had a Utd game yet?! You might as well wait until 8.0.2 (January/February) I say.

Originally posted by Swordsaman:

This is my squad for the 2nd season, anymore players i should buy to strengthen the squad ?

GK Foster, Van der Sar

DR Neville, Zaccardo

DL Evra, Criscito

FC Teves, rodriguez

FC rooney, aguero

FC

Don't need to improve much, but get a DR and a GK in soon to replace Neville and VDS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Swordsaman:

GK Foster, Van der Sar

DR Neville, Zaccardo

DL Evra, Criscito

FC Teves, rodriguez

FC rooney, aguero

FC

Don't need to improve much, but get a DR and a GK in soon to replace Neville and VDS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who do you suggest ?? micard richards and igor akineefv ?

Not had a Utd game yet?! You might as well wait until 8.0.2 (January/February) I say.

I've been busy guiding Chippenham (in dafuges challenge) to the Championship icon_cool.gif.

Anyway Barzagli for £7m deal or no deal? He would rotate with Vidic but that would mean Pique or Evans will have to go out on loan.

Archived